A Honey Do List

Founded 2003 • With Angi since March 2005

4.2

PO Box 814

Belmont, CA 94002

We are a family owned business run and worked by myself here in the Bay Area and my son in Portland Oregon. We are licensed as general contractors but also enjoy doing smaller handyman type work. We do not sub out our work as it is too difficult to control the quality of the workmanship. After all, it is our name on the line! see details at www.ahoneydolist.com...

12/26/2016

victoria B.

Work was excellent. Price was a little higher than quoted, but I had made a change so I expected to pay a little more. Great service. Would definitely use them again.

Description of Work
Bedroom painted

Category handyman service, interior painters

01/06/2015

Teddy C.

If you want to hire them to do a simple project they are probably perfect but beware if your project is bigger. We hired them to do a whole house remodeling - kitchen, baths, living areas. Skip came to estimate the work. They gave us the lowest bid out of the three however it turns out they weren't that cheap when all was said and done (I knew there was going to be trade-offs!). Michelle was darling and I think it's the reason why they get as much business as they do. We were on a tight timeline what we thought a month project turned out to be twice as long. There were days when they were not making much progress due to over-commitment, and unskilled crew (they didn't refer to the plan and often they mess up and have to re-do, some guys are just inexperience, they only have two people including Erik the foremen who actually have common sense but they are not always on site.). We had to plead with them to send more people and that was stressful. At the end they delivered acceptable quality. The irony is "Honey Do" makes it sounds like Skip the licensed contract will fix anything, when in fact he only handles estimates. His crew did all the work. Another annoying matter was in billing. We were given estimates for labor and materials. Certainly we understand we are to pay for materials but there were materials on our invoice which we didn't recognize. How would we know the type of materials needed and if they even used them? Why weren't they included in the estimates in the first place? (They were charging us for bigger items as well as nails, tapes etc. ) Sure enough after questioning there were materials that weren't ours, or ended up didn't use which we asked them return. Michelle was very patient throughout the process. In the end these unforeseen materials charges and trip charges (to Home Depot, to paint store etc.) added up and they weren't too far off from the all-inclusive bid. Honey Do's crew was rather messy, wasteful and disorganized. Skip, Michelle, Erik and some members of the crew are super nice but when it comes down to business, they have some major cracks to fill!

Description of Work
Remodeling of kitchen, two bathrooms, living room, painting of all interior walls, crown moldings in living area and dinning room.

Category handyman service, remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters

11/23/2014

Naveli J.

Just before moving into our new home we wanted to take off the pop ceiling+paint+texture and also install recess lights. Once the job was assigned, for the first two days only 2 people showed up to work. Because of this they had to speed up and then eventually overcharged by almost 35-40% just because they had to make their workers do overtime to meet the deadline (there was also a minor change in scope which shouldn’t have impacted the timeline had they started with more folks on Day 1 itself). It’s a family run business but unfortunately none of them agree or communicate well enough with each other and thus the customer bears the brunt. Example of this was: the job was not completed on the last day and no one followed up for 5 days and all of sudden I see an invoice for completed work! When I spoke to Michelle (front desk manager), she said Eric (onsite coordinator) did not communicate that all this was pending. But Eric says that Michelle knew about it but still did not contact. You leave texture all over the crown moldings, all switch outlets exposed and misplace the fire alarm and don’t bother to wrap up or even follow up? Eric says he never agreed (to Skip – estimator) in the first place to complete the work within the time Skip promised me. There is just a plethora of confusions, communication gaps and disagreements here that we as customer have to navigate through. It’s been over 3 months since and A.They have still not completed the work. I had to install the switch plates to prevent mishap. The installed switches are all misaligned so the plates don’t fit correctly. B.The work that was done is coming off already. The ceiling paint is already peeling off in places. C.They refuse to provide justification on the additional charges. They say it’s a family business but the owner Skip, apart from giving the initial estimate, has been elusive and not reachable even after multiple attempts. All this for the pride of having a family business? I really don't see any positives that I would remotely want to recommend them.

Description of Work
Hired them to install recess lights, remove pop ceiling and then texture + paint the ceiling.

Category handyman service

I would not normally respond to an honest negative report. I believe that people know that misunderstandings and mistakes will happen and it is the effort and results of correcting those misunderstandings and mistakes that really count in the end. I also believe people should see all reports good or bad. That being said lets review the facts. • You informed us you bought a condominium and family was arriving in a few days. We told you it would be tight but we could help. • We changed our schedule to accommodate your situation as you were referred to us by a wonderful couple that we had just done a whole house renovation for. She recommended us because of the quality of work we had just done for her. • You explained the work to be done. 1. Remove all popcorn on all ceilings in the condo. 2. Repair all the ceilings 3. Texture all the ceilings 4. Paint all the ceilings 5. Replace a dining room ceiling light fixture 6. Install 8 new LED can lights You then added • 2 more LED can lights on a completely separate circuit with 3 way switches. (Which entails opening, closing, texturing, paint 2 walls, not included) • Asked us to go to the store 3 times to buy and show you can light samples. (not included) • Go to the store and buy your paint. (not included) Both Erik and I sent out and supervised in person 2 to 4 technicians (depending on the work type) over 6 days. I know this as I was there. We spent $782 on your materials and $4839.16 on labor. = $5621.16 Are you telling me you don’t see the value here? As to the missing switch plates, I have the receipts for them from the day they were installed. But since I did not personally install them I cannot verify they were in fact all installed. As to the unfinished details and clean up, if you recall, you surprised us on our last day (Saturday) by telling us that you had cleaning people coming in and that we had to leave. You also told us it was not a problem as you were going on vacation and we could complete the work when you returned. But when you returned you went on another vacation and we did not hear from you again until you told us that you never asked for any extra work and were never told that extra work, extra lights and switches would cost money and that if I charged you for the extra work you would write bad reviews on all the websites you could find. Then you named then. Well here we are! I am not a big believer in lying or blackmail.

07/14/2014

Cynthia J.

It went well I was very happy. They saved us a lot of money.

Description of Work
They did some dry wall replacement and flooring for us.

Category drywall, flooring contractor

05/28/2013

Vern G.

This was for a condominium complex that my HOA management company manages, and was a totally botched job. The lighting fixtures that were provided and installed by 'A Honey Do List' worked only for a few days. The wiring was run buried in a stucco patch, without conduit, and the stucco patch over the wiring began flaking and falling apart within days. One of the two fixtures was left loose, dangling and not working. I called the owner of this business several times in order to have them come out and repair/redo their installation, and offered each time to meet them on site. I was told several times that they would come back to correct this situation, but each this was tentatively scheduled they never called me back, and obviously never appeared. Another issue is that I asked from the beginning if they should get a permit from the local city building department. When another contractor was called to clean up this mess, they said that a permit was necessary and acquired one. The city inspector came out and was completely amazed at how the original installation was done without conduit, a required junction box, and the connections done with electrical tape. This was totally illegal and with high risk of causing a fire. We are considering reporting this contractor to the State Licensing Board.

Description of Work
Install 2 LED lights at front stairs to condominium building. Materials New sensor. $21.91 Labor $493.75 Materials 2 - LED lights light bronze, 30' electrical wire, stucco patch. $138.83 Pick Up/Delivery $39.50 Travel $19.75 Labor 15% profit and overhead. $107.06

Category electrician, handyman service, stucco

01/07/2013

GARIN H.

No issues -- the patch job was perfect!

Description of Work
Drywall patching

Category drywall, handyman service

11/10/2012

MARE AND DENNIS P.

There wasn't a drop of paint on the ground, he did great work and I was very happy with the way it turned out. I will hire him again.

Description of Work
He painted my kitchen in half a day.

Category interior painters

02/17/2012

Penny H.

They seemed to understand what I needed and was able to communicate clearly what I needed done.

Description of Work
They did some repairs in the bathroom for my moms condo I was selling.

Category handyman service, house painters, interior painters

01/23/2012

YVONNE L.

Things did not go terribly well. They over estimated the price and it was nearly double what they had originally estimated. The work itself was not what we really wanted either. The man didn't even do the work himself, he brought his sister in to do it.

Description of Work
They rebuilt our gazebo.

Category handyman service

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I feel an explanation would be helpful for you. I brought my sister because she had depression issues and I was trying to give her a sense of purpose, I did most of the work myself until we discovered that the patio slab you asked us to cut through was 2 feet thick and not the standard 4 inches. This was a surprise and became very time consuming. To save you money we were trying to save a structure that should have been taken down and replaced at a much greater expense. Sorry for the miscommunication. Skip

10/17/2011

Robert H.

Please see the above for the full story.

Description of Work
Removal of existing countertop, sink, faucet and associated plumbing and replace with new that I had previously purchased and had on site ready to install. Estimate for the labor was $355 and about 4 hours to complete. Worker arrived on time and took approx 6 1/2 hours to complete. About 2 hours into the job I drove him to the local hardware store approx 3 miles away because he was not aware of it's location. The trip to the store was to purchase caulking and 2 water supply lines and valve. The trip in it's entirety took approx 25 minutes. He purchased 4 supply lines (only needed 2) as well as 2 tubes of caulk (one was way more than enough) and a water supply valve. The cost of the extra items not needed were added to the final bill and he kept the extra items but they ended up on the final invoice anyway. After advising the company of this they adjusted the bill (by $28) to subtract the items purchased but not used. A $26 "shopping" charge was also added to the bill. The shopping trip which I drove him to that took 25 minutes. An additional "travel" charge of $26 was added to the bill. The house is approx 12 miles from their office/shop area, not like it's 50 miles away. I was also charged an additional $25 for a p-trap and connector which he had with him, possibly used and if purchased new would have been about $10 -15 tops. I fully expected to be charged for new supply lines and plumbing parts but nowhere near the additional $143 that included the shopping and travel charges. I also feel their $79 per hour, per man labor charge is way excessive. The job was completed satisfactorily but the add-on charges for shopping, travel and unnecessary plumbing supplies were in excess and I don't feel it's fair practice. Therefore any handyman services I need in the future will not include "A Honey-Do" for consideration.

Category countertops, handyman service

I am a little surprised to see this review. You seemed so grateful that day when we stopped what we were doing and ran to your home to stop the burst water pipe from continuing to spray water on the underside of your home. We didn't charge you for an emergency call as we don't charge customers extra when they are in need on quick help. I am glad to see you got your money back quickly and easily for the part we should not have charged you for. As to the P Trap that you felt we charged you more than the normal cost of buying it yourself, yes we do ad on a shopping and free replacement guarantee charge. Why? Parts fail, and when they do we do not want to charge the customer for new parts and labor to replace them again even though the part failure has nothing to do with us. Most companies do not do this. The failed part and reinstallation is on the customer. I feel it is better to take the possible failure into account so we don't bad if it does fail. Why we buy extra hoses and extra calk is so that we do not have to return to the store at your expense if one of them doesn't work. Just trying to cover all the possibilities Robert not trying to take advantage of you. The travel charge is because Belmont to your house takes 20 minutes and since we are $30 an hour lower than our competitors we need to charge for that drive time. You forgot to mention that unlike most handyman services we actually allowed you to make payments on the bill. Next time do the courtesy of informing the people that you hire honestly how you feel so they can rectify the issues immediately. Thanks Skip

10/15/2011

L V.

The estimate that they provided was three times higher than the actual price for a handy man. They seemed to know what needs to be done. I liked the gentleman who came out to give the estimate. They took some time to get back to me with the estimate. They were very professional. I am not sure if I would use them in the future.

Description of Work
I received an estimate from A Honey Do List a week ago for flooring repair and replacement.

Category flooring contractor

09/26/2011

Riko H.

I sent out an e-mail to request for the services so it took about 2 days for Michele at 'Honey Do List' to get back to me but she was very efficient with communication and scheduling. She was able to schedule the work to be done within that week. She called me several times to make sure of all the supplies on the list of the kit. On the day of the installation, the gentleman from the company arrived within the window provided. He was most polite, very professional and efficient. He suggested that the post should be placed a little further back from the original position to accomodate the larger dimension.I was missing a 4x4 wood that is supposed to go inside the metal post (this was entirely my oversight). The guy just went out to the nearest Home Depot and got one, concreted the post in, assembled the entire mailbox and was done in about 3 and half hours.

Description of Work
We had our almost thirty years old, slanting wooden mailbox replaced with a beautiful heavy duty one. We purchased the new mailbox as a kit; mailbox, the post and a decorative post protector at the base of the post. The ground needed to be dug out several feet and the post would be concereted in. Later, the mailbox was assembled on top with the address plaque attached to both sides of the box.

Category mailbox repair

08/03/2011

Savinee D.

**UPDATE** I think it's fair to update this report since the company called me after they see my initial review. I wasn't happy with the quality and the surprise charge after the job was done. They called and offer to come and fix the ceiling, which I actually managed it already. After the conversation, I think I might have wrote a little to harsh and was a little unfair on the quality of the project since I was a little bumped. I still give it a B, not an A and I still think it's a little pricey as I paid more than I expect. But I have to give an A to their professionalism that they want to fix whatever made the customer (me) unsatisfied. I think that's huge for a handyman job and that tells a lot about this company -- communicate communicate communicate. If you are not happy with the job, tell them and I'm sure they will make it better. I wish I could give them an A- or B+ for punctuality and responsiveness (but angielist only let me be A or B). After the phone call, would I use them again? I think they deserve another shot.

Description of Work
ceiling patching, texture and paint.

Category handyman service, interior painters

08/02/2011

Anna G.

The owner was a very nice guy. He came up with good ideas. He finished the job on time. He seemed to know what he was doing. If there is a need, we would use him again in the future too.

Description of Work
We used A Honey Do List for fixing a fence, laying some stones, and some yard work about a week ago.

07/21/2011

Robert H.

I phoned Honey Do List Handyman after joining Angie's List due to the above described leak. They were quick to respond and although fairly pricey, repaired the leak and 2 days later responded by email with a written estimate of suggested work to alleviate any future problems. They returned later that week and spent about 3 hours removing wet insulation, spraying bleach to kill mold and setting up a blower to dry out the area for the next couple of days. They returned 2 days later to retreive the blower and reported the area to be free of mold and dry as it should be.

Description of Work
Repaired a leaking hot water pipe that was under my house in a somewhat inaccessible location on very short notice. Returned a week later (in the meantime I had inquired with my homeowners insurance but they denied coverage) to remove wet insulation and remediate mold and dampness that had accumulated in the area of the leak. They are returning in approximately 2 weeks from now to tear out and replace a countertop and sink in a half-bath at the same house. I'll have to get back to you on that job but my expectations are that they will perform this job satisfactorily.

Category handyman service, plumbing

06/28/2011

Sadie C.

The company was non responsive.

Description of Work
I contacted A Honey Do List and spoke to a receptionist (?) who said the handyman would get back to me to make an appointment. No one ever got back to me.

Category fencing, handyman service, woodworking

06/28/2011

MARE AND DENNIS P.

It turned out great. He is really the best.

Description of Work
He restored a lot of our kitchen.

Category woodworking, interior painters

04/07/2011

Rebecca T.

They came out, and replaced a broken light switch, installed doorbell, painted area around doorbell, fixed a chair rail in my son's room with some filler, filled a hole in the door of our bath, and caulked the tub. They were very thorough, quick and professional. Would definitely hire them again.

Description of Work
electrical work, painting, carpentry, and caulking.

11/11/2010

MARE AND DENNIS P.

He is very pleasant and comfortable immediately. I have already requested that he come back for an additional project (my kitchen cabinets).

Description of Work
He has done everything form cleaning the gutters, stripping screws, hinges, hanging pictures and has done many other small handyman projects.

Category gutter cleaning, handyman service

10/03/2010

Patricia W.

Skip Scales was responsive, efficient, courteous, informative, cleaned up well, and charged what I believe to be a fair price for his work. He did not finish the work in the time frame he promised, but I had added to his task list. I am totally satisfied with his work, and highly recommend his service.

Description of Work
I had a list of repairs to my rental home that included door refinishing, brass door hardware polishing, hardwood floor finish touch-up, ceiling structural repair and drywall replacement, faucet fixture replacement, light fixture replacement, screen replacement, doorknob replacement, exterior paint touch-up, doorbell replacement, and more. I sent him an original list of repairs, and had to add about 7 additional tasks as we discovered difficulties I hadn't noticed.

Category drywall, flooring contractor, handyman service, woodworking, interior painters

03/01/2010

Janice R.

I liked him very much, but I found someone else who could do it for a lower price. I was very tempted to use him, he was very good about coming out right away after I called. I liked the way he presented, but I chose someone else just because of price. Even though I didn't hire him for this job doesn't mean I wouldn't hire him in the future for something else.

Description of Work
A Honey Do List came out and gave me a quote for some siding work.

02/22/2010

Barbara D.

It went great. They were very flexible, taking into account my needs. I had a couple of projects that I needed done in a hurry because I had an appraiser coming :) They did those and came back later for the remaining projects. They even stopped at Home Depot to pick up some paint that I thought I had, but couldn't find. I wold definitely call them again. I'm relieved to know I have someone I can depend on to do the little (and not so little) projects that come up around the house.

Description of Work
The guys did a number of projects for me over several visits, including patching and painting (both interior and exterior), replacoing a portion of the back fence, rehanging interior doors. They basically did everything on my "to do" list.

Category drywall, fencing, handyman service, plastering, house painters, interior painters

02/17/2010

DEREK E.

My experience turned out fine. They were very prompt, fast and showed up on time. They submitted a bid that was really low at first and then they had to call back saying they made a mistake. So they had to resubmit the bid.

Description of Work
I used A Honey Do It to replace some steps, put in some tiles in the bathroom and do some other minor repairs in the bathroom.

01/19/2010

pat P.

Everything to my satisfaction. Do not have the final bill yet but it was only an hour's work so not that expensive.

Description of Work
Skip did a professional job hanging a glass shelf and a long curtain rod in my bathroom. Very personable and professional. Will call him again for small projects.

12/15/2008

eileen T.

He's very reasonable and easy to speak with. Michelle, who runs the office, is fabulous and they try to make things work. I will be using him in the future. He's wonderful.

Description of Work
Skip took care of doors that needed to be taken care of because there was air coming through it. He fixed crank windows that hadn't closed in about 40 years.