Looking for home improvements that would get you the best ROI? Here are renovation projects that will improve your home life and lower your insurance premium.
Find top-rated general contractors in your area
Enter your zip and get matched with up to 3 pros
Matching on Angi
Angi has local reviews on general contractors
- House Framing Companies
- Baseboard Installation
- Pole Barn Builders
- Elevator Companies
- Grab Bar Installation
- EV Charger Installer
- Caulking Services
- Walk-In Tub Installers
- Attic Ladder Installation
- Bathroom Fan Installation
- Bathroom Vanity Installation
- Tub to Shower Conversion
- Balcony Contractors
- El Paso
- Fort Lauderdale
- Fort Worth
- Grand Rapids
- Kansas City
- Las Vegas
- Long Beach
- Los Angeles
- New Orleans
- New York
- Oklahoma City
- Salt Lake City
- San Antonio
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- San Jose
- Saint Louis
- Saint Paul
- Virginia Beach
- Washington DC
- Winston Salem
- Alabama General Contractors
- Alaska General Contractors
- Arizona General Contractors
- Arkansas General Contractors
- California General Contractors
- Colorado General Contractors
- Connecticut General Contractors
- Delaware General Contractors
- District of Columbia General Contractors
- Florida General Contractors
- Georgia General Contractors
- Hawaii General Contractors
- Idaho General Contractors
- Illinois General Contractors
- Indiana General Contractors
- Iowa General Contractors
- Kansas General Contractors
- Kentucky General Contractors
- Louisiana General Contractors
- Maine General Contractors
- Maryland General Contractors
- Massachusetts General Contractors
- Michigan General Contractors
- Minnesota General Contractors
- Mississippi General Contractors
- Missouri General Contractors
- Montana General Contractors
- Nebraska General Contractors
- Nevada General Contractors
- New Hampshire General Contractors
- New Jersey General Contractors
- New Mexico General Contractors
- New York General Contractors
- North Carolina General Contractors
- North Dakota General Contractors
- Ohio General Contractors
- Oklahoma General Contractors
- Oregon General Contractors
- Pennsylvania General Contractors
- Rhode Island General Contractors
- South Carolina General Contractors
- South Dakota General Contractors
- Tennessee General Contractors
- Texas General Contractors
- Utah General Contractors
- Vermont General Contractors
- Virginia General Contractors
- Washington General Contractors
- West Virginia General Contractors
- Wisconsin General Contractors
- Wyoming General Contractors
Explore Our Solution Center for Helpful Contractor Articles
Wondering what truly adds value to a home? Using the latest data, we put together a list of the 34 most valuable home renovations and upgrades you can make to expand your investment and maximize ROI when it’s time to sell.
What is dry rot and how do you manage it? Dry rot is a fungus that attacks wood. Learn how to get rid of it before it causes structural damage.
A remodel contract is essential when you start a big renovation. Keep reading to learn what to include in your remodeling contract to protect yourself.
Learn what’s possible and what your options might be when considering ways of raising the ceiling height in a room or your entire house.
If contractors don’t pull permits, homeowners are responsible for obtaining them after the fact. Learn more about how to get a permit after work is done or ongoing.
The average cost of a yurt is $35,000, but the price can vary depending on the size, building materials, and number of add-on features.
From accessibility, property size, or cost, the best storm shelters cater to your needs. Read this to find out which tornado shelter is best for your home.
Thinking of buying a storm shelter? Whether you want an underground or above-ground, you probably have questions. Learn pros and cons, recommended square footage, and more.
A stair lift might be the answer if your home needs a mobility update. Here’s a breakdown of standard stair lift pricing and the features that may cost extra.
DIY storm shelters can protect you from severe weather, but they have to be built right. Here’s what you need to know to build your own storm shelter.
Don’t let a freshly chipped bathtub ruin your day. Find out how to repair a chipped tub in five easy steps so you can get back to a relaxing soak.
Always wanted to build your very own chicken coop? Learn how to build a simple, sturdy, and safe chicken coop DIY in this 12-step guide.
If you’ve been pondering sprucing up your staircase but not sure where to start, these stunning staircase ideas are sure to inspire your next home project.
Elevate your DIY skills and discover tricks of the carpentry trade by learning how to build stairs while remodeling or adding a deck to your home.
Local General Contractors
- How much do contractors typically charge?
The average cost to hire a contractor is between $45 and $85 dollars per hour, while some may be more expensive, there will typically not be any cheaper options that would be qualified and licensed to do the contracting work.
- How much are typical contractor project costs?
The average cost for a construction, remodeling, or contractor project is between $4,000 and $18,000. However, each project is different and costs can range from $1,500 to change a small room, compared to millions of dollars for a whole home remodel or construction.
- Should contractors be certified or licensed?
Yes. Each state has their own requirements for licensing and certifications for contractors. Check out our state licensing tool to review the local contractor guidelines.
- What questions should I ask a general contractor?
There are several questions or things to know before hiring a contractor to do any work in your home.
Have they done business under another name?
What is their license number?
Do they have valid insurance?
What is the best way to communicate changes?
- How many construction managers are in the U.S.?
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics from their 2020 review, there were 476,700 construction managers employed in the U.S. in 2019. Their average salary was $46.72 per hour, with an annual wage of $97,180.