We received an estimate for this to be an 8 week project beginning on 3 May. We just finished on 12/10/10. This was one of the most poorly planned projects I have ever seen. It was supposed to be done the end of June, but they hadn't even ordered the carpet by the end of June. We had picked out the carpet we wanted in May, but they never asked for it. Then when they asked and we gave them what we wanted, they said it would take a month to get it and they tried to get us to order carpet from them. We finally picked out different carpet from Home Depot, but it didn't arrive until August. Then they hadn't ordered enough, so we waited another 2 weeks. Then they just ordered the piece that they were short and the dye lot didn't match. So we had them take it all out and reorder carpet again. Of course, it was another month before it was installed. We had asked for upgraded padding, and they brought in scraps that weren't even the same thickness. We insisted they bring in new padding and they did. They finally got the carpet installed, but it's not quality carpet laying. The carpet isn't pulled tight and you can see the wrinkles in it. Then they came in to do the final close-out, and they didn't put down a drop cloth. They left 3 stains on the carpet. We finally settled on a credit for that. They said it would need a deep cleaning, and they didn't want to spot clean it. The project manager was rarely seen. His voice mail box was full, so you couldn't leave him a voice mail. He would show up at 7:00 in the evening to see what the sub contractors had done during the day. There was no supervision of the workers. They worked very dirty. They threw trash in the yard including in a tree stump in the yard. They didn't put down drop cloths. There was linoleum flooring on the basement floor which we wanted carpeted, so they just dropped dry wall mud all over the floor and never cleaned it up. When they put the HVAC in the attic, they broke a hole through our ceiling and left the broken dry wall all over our living room. They cut the exterior door from a single to a double door, but they didn't cut it right and they were never able to properly install the door. They finally gave us a credit for it, but it was a specially ordered Andersen door that we had bought and they damaged the door, and it still doesn't fit right. They acknowledged that the frame wasn't cut big enough, but that would have required removing the door and recutting the space which was brick, and they weren't willing to do it. The HVAC was a nightmare all of its own. They told us they needed an 8 x 8 inch space in our closet for a duct. I told them I didn't want to lose the closet and should we consider ductless heat. They assured me it would only be an 8 x 8 inch duct. Well, it's about 3 ft by 3 ft, and I can now only hang 2 coats in the closet. They offered to build another closet, but there was no room in the house to build one. They also said they would enlarge the ducts into the upstairs family room so that it would be adequately heated and cooled. But they didn't do it, and when we had them come back, they acknowledged that there wasn't room for larger ducts. They resolved that by putting a ductless unit in the upstairs family room. We agreed to split the cost of that with them. I want to state that none of this mess was our fault. There were no changes of scope on our part. It was all just their own poor planning and poor workmanship. It almost always took multiple phone calls to get a response. We are still waiting on the final documentation of the project. In the end, they tried to do the right thing by giving us credit to address the outstanding issues, but this whole project was a terrible experience, and there was no reason for it to be. This was a straightforward job that, if managed and supervised properly, and constructed by skilled tradesmen, should not have been a problem.