Chess Roofing & Siding

Founded 1974 • With Angi since March 2006

1119 Earl Blvd

Ferndale, MI 48220

Always being aware of the customer’s needs and skepticism we approach each home owner with assurance that we care as much about their home and landscape as they do. Our goal is to walk away from every job with pride knowing we pleased our home owner and put their skepticism to rest. Achieving this goal Chess Roofing & Sidng has consistently remained a primarily repeat and referred business. We show every homeowner confidence and respect. Family owned. Additional email - david@chessroofing.us. Additional contact name - David Chess. Additional DBA - Chess Roofing Siding & Home Improvements....

06/20/2017

Gloria R.

They did a great job.

Description of Work
They did some repairs. They will be coming back to do some additional work.

04/15/2017

FELIX S.

THEY WORK WELL AND ANSWER ANY QUESTION I HAD. I WOULD HIRE NEXT TIME..

Description of Work
had siding and gutters I WERE SURPRISE how they work together did all thing they said on time everyday I AM REALLY PLEASE WITH THE WHOLE JOB.

Category gutter repair, siding

[Member Name Removed], Thank you for the positive review. Gethin

10/02/2016

Martha L.

Gethin was very responsive and the work was done on-time. very reasonable price.

Description of Work
new siding on chimney

07/08/2016

Barbara C.

The work was great! Well done. The roof looks beautiful! The crew tore off and replaced the roof in a day. Had a problem at the end, where the old siding was covered with the second layer of roofing, The owner came and patched it up. I am very pleased! Thank guys!

Description of Work
Tore off old roof and replaced with a beautiful new roof.

01/22/2016

Roy L.

Description of Work
ROOF REPLACEMENT

Category roofing, woodworking

07/22/2015

Steven M.

Description of Work
I have a rental property with a flat roof that was leaking during all of these spring rains. I spoke to three different companies for fix suggestions and quotes. Gethin Jones of Chess Roofing had the most innovative idea at a competitive price. He suggested Gaco Roof Coating which I had never heard of. He sent me a link to their website so I could research the product. When he did the job, he was very thorough and returned on three different dates over a week to get the job done right. I am very happy; I would use them again in the future and would recommend them to my friends and neighbors.

04/28/2015

Lisa A.

I called the evening of April 27 and left a message about my roof shingles. I am selling my house and the buyer wanted the shingles replaced immediately. I received a call at 8:30 the next morning and Dave came out and was finished replacing the shingles by 10am. He was knowledgeable and friendly. The work looks great and he even gave me a recommendation for some masonry work I need to get done right away.

Description of Work
replaced some shingles on my roof

[Member name], Thank you for the kind words and good luck on the sale of the house. Gethin

11/02/2014

Daniel F.

They never returned our calls.

Description of Work
We called Chess twice and they never returned our calls.

I apologize for missing your phone calls. We are usually pretty good about responding. However, I will admit that we did get swamped this year and we were slower to respond than normal. Please accept our apologies. If you still need the work done you may go to the website www.chessroofing.us and fill out the estimate request form and we will be happy to give an estimate for the work required. Again, please accept our apology. You are in our neighborhood and our neighbors are very important to us. Respectfully, Sharon Chess

10/07/2014

Pete S.

They told us none of the piping was flashed. They flashed it all properly, they came out sooner than originally scheduled which was awesome because it rained terribly. Knowing contractors I was prepared to have them try to sell me a new roof, they didn't which was excellent, they came out fixed the issue and we are very pleased! When we do have to replace our roof, we will be calling them!!

Description of Work
We had leaks around piping coming out of our roof.

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review.

09/20/2014

melanie H.

Sharon was so easy to work with. Other contractors I spoke with gave me a price to replace everything only. Sharon told me what was fine and what needed to be replaced. Guaranteed work. The guys who installed were quick and did a great job. Price was very fair. Have already recommended them to a friend.

Description of Work
replace gutters

Category gutter repair, roofing

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit a review.

06/25/2014

James and Shannon S.

We were told that they'd email us a quote in a couple of weeks but they never did. Talking with the person who came out for the estimate went well, but I was disappointed that they didn't follow up.

Description of Work
We had them come out to provide an estimate.

Category roofing, siding

Hello (Member names removed), Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. Please accept our apology for dropping the ball and for our lack of accountability. Our company was going through some professional hurdles that we were unaccustomed to handling. The transition became a test to our company's resilience and we have recovered and returned to who we have been noted for over forty years of being in business. Sometimes change in a business is good in our situation it became a learning experience of how bad things can get and how good things can come from the experience. We are back on track and if there is any thing we can do for you in the future please contact us. Again, please accept our apology. Respectfully, Sharon Chess, Co-Owner Chess Roofing & Siding, LLC

06/20/2014

Patricia H.

My experience with Chess Roofing and Siding was extremely good except for one thing?communication of timing. I certainly give the crews an A for skill, efficiency, plain hard work and unfailing courtesy. I had not realized, however, that weather and communication would prove difficult. I had a very large roof and a garage stripped and re-roofed. I also had the header of the garage re-built because of decay, and siding was applied. All that involved multiple crews and differing skills. Therefore, the scheduling during spring weather was very difficult for the company?constant rain problems they had to juggle with other jobs and different crews. I wish I had been informed more often about what to expect, since I had to move my car to an inconvenient place (for me) every time there was a rain delay that changed plans. So my only fault with Chess is lack of communication, and even then I realize they often didn?t know what the weather would do and therefore when crews would finish other jobs and be free for finishing the garage, which was the least straightforward of their tasks and proved the longest to finish. Work on the garage was vvery good; it just took longer than I had anticipated. The estimate and contracting were detailed, explained, and fair. The cleanup was thorough. I am certainly satisfied with the results, but communication could be improved. I am writing this before the final siding is installed on the repaired and re-roofed garage. That is currently scheduled for next week, weather permitting.

Description of Work
Took off roof on house (2500 sq ft with intriate roof) and garage, re-roofed with appropriate undercoatings, etc. Repaired header of garage as well as re-roofing, added siding in garage.

Category roofing, siding

Member, Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. Respectfully, Sharon Chess, Co-Owner Chess Roofing & Siding, LLC

06/09/2014

Louis M.

I give them an “A” on the rating. I liked their professionalism.

Description of Work
Chess Home Roofing & Siding repaired a chopped brick and replaced them.

(Member name removed), Thank you so much for taking the time to post this review. Respectfully, Sharon Chess, Co-Owner Chess Roofing & Siding, LLC

04/25/2014

Jon N.

We had one tough winter in Michigan. One morning I opened my back door and discovered my gutter had crashed to the ground due to ice buildup and wear. This was right before the holidays and several places I contacted never got back to me. David and Sharon Chess, however, responded and had great communication. Mr. Chess was very detail oriented both before he came out to do the estimate, and during the estimate itself. He answered all my questions in a friendly and patient manner. Mr. Chess quoted me what I'd consider to be at least a fair price. Several years earlier I had a very similar job done for less on a different house, but that was in a different area and several years prior. Considering everything, I thought he quoted a reasonable price and my wife and I decided to give them the job. The repair guys were able to come out the following week between Christmas and New Year's, and did a very nice job. They were prompt, friendly, actually asked me questions like how exactly I wanted the downspout placed and how long it should be, etc. These guys really did a nice job and fairly quickly too, and hauled away all the old gutter and material. In summary, I would not hesitate to recommend Chess Roofing & Siding, and I would certainly invite them to provide estimates on any future work we need done.

Description of Work
Replaced approximately 10 feet of gutter, fascia board, and downspout at the rear of my house

Category gutter repair, siding

Thank you so much (Member name removed) for taking the time to submit this review. Our company exists because of customers referring us and using our services over and over again. We appreciate your kind words. Respectfully, Sharon Chess, Co-Owner Chess Roofing & Siding, LLC

02/18/2014

Kenneth S.

I think after several years (its been many years) I need to just go ahead and get another company to install new gutters

Description of Work
They did a new roof for me and did an excellent job, however, they also did gutters and that was not as wonderful an experience, even today I have major issues after they have come out many times to try and correct issues.

In order to keep up to date on our service and quality to assure our customers the accountability they deserve I read our reviews on search engines that follow our business. In doing so having read [removed member name ]l's review I placed a cal to inquire specific related to his concerns with gutters installed by our company. He shared that is was over 10 years ago that we did the gutter replacement. I asked him to explain the difficulties he is having. The middle run of the gutter is pitched forward. This causes an overflow into his garden. The gutters are spiked and furrowed into the fascia trim of the porch. The home is located in a heavily treed area and debris often accumulates. When debris is not cleared the weight of the debris in addition to water, snow and ice contributes to the weight pulling the gutter forward and dumping the excess rather than having a clear flow of water running to and through the downspouts appropriately. We have agreed to come out and assess the problem when the customer is ready. He asked that we await his call after he cleans his gutters and downspouts. We have agreed to do so. Several possibilities may be contributing to this concern. On this property the fascia is trimmed with aluminum. The wood behind the aluminum trim may be rotted or otherwise compromised and may need to be torn off and replaced in order to assure tight security of the gutters to the trim. Something that was not readily available to us so many years ago is now available and has become a routine practice of our company. We now screw and bracket all gutters. This keeps the gutters tight to the fascia even during the normal expand and contraction of wood during the change of seasons. It is recommended by all company's that keeping your gutters and valleys clear of debris greatly extends the functionality and longevity of your roof and gutters. I look forward to working with this customer addressing and resolving his concerns and problems.

11/20/2013

Bryan A.

I tried asking one of their workers what the name of the company was, and he said he didn't know because it was his first day. That seemed pretty strange to me, but I told him that they had broken one of my windows while doing their work, and asked him to please move all of their materials away from my house. He was apologetic about it and looked at the damage with me. While walking back to my door, suddenly a load of shingles fell from the roof and hit both me and the employee in the head. No one had warned me that they were throwing shingles, and several of their employees were standing around that did nothing about it. As a result, I was left with abrasions and scratches across my forehead and nose. I yelled at the guy on the roof, saying he had hit me, but he shrugged at me and didn't say a word. After this I was told that the foreman, David, would contact me about the broken window. A little while later David knocked on the door and said that they didn't break the window, and wouldn't take responsibility for it. He claimed that it was broken out from the inside, because there was a few slivers of broken glass laying on the ground. I told him that there were several large broken pieces inside my house if he wanted to see them, and that I didn't break my own window out from the inside. After a while of arguing he said they'd get some glass and replace the pane, but he still insisted that they weren't at fault. He tried claiming that it wasn't possible because there wasn't any materials near my house. But they had just been moved away by the other employee I spoke to earlier. Then he suggested that maybe someone had tried breaking in, contradicting his earlier claim that it was busted out from the inside. It would be pretty coincidental if that after several years of living here, the day roofers were working with piles of tools and materials inches from the window, that it was broken not by them but someone else. Later in the day I got a call from the business owner. He was much more apologetic, said he wanted to make sure I was taken care of, and that the window pane would be replaced. Though he was concerned about the window, he didn't acknowledge the fact that I was hit in the face by heavy shingles and hurt as a result. It should heal within a few days, but it would have been nice to have had an apology from the worker that did it and the owner, rather than getting the brush-off. After they were done with their work, they replaced my window pane satisfactorily. But they left some roofing debris in my front and back yard. It looks like they raked a bit, but I still have pieces of singles, wood, and nails in the grass and bushes. And it was my neighbor that had the work done!

Description of Work
They were working on a neighbors house and had all of their building materials and tools leaning up against our house. As a result, they broke one of our windows.

We are a company that takes great pride in not only our Company, Chess Roofing & Siding but in the way we treat our customers and their neighbors. It is unfortunate that these problems did occur and our apologies and help were immediately extended to this neighbor to the immediate south of our customer. This particular job was immense in comparison to most. The roof had cedar shakes (wooden shingles) beneath in addition to 3 layers of asphalt shingles. The tear-off was arduous and very dirty with a lot of debris. There is a privacy gate to the yard on the neighbors side which was wide open protecting the neighbors side of the house. In addition there was plywood near the home to protect the property. We knew the tenants and owner were not at home so we were working under the assumption there were only workers on the property. The new hire laborer and the neighbor did not make any one aware they were walking so close to the tear off area where debris is constantly being shoveled off and falling from the very steep pitch roof. The injury accident did happen to both the neighbor and new hire. When this occurred the neighbor immediately called Ferndale City Hall to find the name of the company (our Chess sign was posted in the front yard with a phone #) and a phone number to call. When [member name removed] called our office I answered the phone. I assured [member name removed] David Chess, owner, would meet him at his home in 15 minutes. David did meet with [member name removed]. Mr. Chess asked [member name removed] multiple times if he was okay and [member name removed] assured that he was okay. We fixed the window before the end of the work day and cleaned the yard as best we could considering weather conditions. If there is still an issue of clean-up we will most assuredly return. In fall and winter , clean-up is difficult due to falling leaves, dew and snow. Multiple clean-ups are sometime necessary if the homeowner or neighbors let us know. The owner of the property where the work was performed is very happy and has paid in full. The City of Ferndale has passed the inspection on the property and as far as we know all of the issues of the neighbor have been addressed and met with full compliance. We welcome constructive criticism, it helps us to grow and makes us more aware of things that sometimes we may take for granted after being in business for forty years. As anyone who has done the same job over and over for years sometimes you need a wake-up call to the details. This was a wake-up call for our crew. Thank you [member name removed] for your comments and cooperation in allowing us to replace your window and satisfy your concerns. Respectfully, David & Sharon Chess, Owners

05/20/2013

Sherry K.

Both Sharon and David are wonderfully personable. All prices were laid out ahead of time - including the worst case scenario. We had some weather problems that held us up a day or so but if I hadn't been there I wouldn't have known the workers were even there. Everything cleaned up and roof looks great.

Description of Work
Needed a completely new roof. Honored an estimate from last year.

Thank you so much for your comments and support.

01/24/2013

Patty S.

Chess roofing. Siding were a pleasure to deal with. Great service! Excellent clean up and follow up.

Description of Work
New roof, tear off and re shingle without re decking.

Category roofing, deck cleaning

Thank you so much for your support and kind words.

12/30/2012

William C.

The job was done in an excellent manner. Problem appears to have been resolved completely. Made recommendation to my neighbor. I did have to wait about four weeks almost procured another vendor, I sure they were going to follow-up. May have been some oversight on communication. Next time will be sure to get a better understanding. However I would request their services again.

Description of Work
Installed metal flashing to prevent roof leaking. Replaced loose siding section.

Category gutter repair, roofing, siding, chimney repair

12/18/2012

Debra G.

I called to have insurance work done due to hail damage. I got a quick response, the estimate was given and met the insurance company's values given. The work was started shortly thereafter. Everything looks fantastic, and the place was left clean.

Description of Work
Roof replaced, gutters replaced, window trim replaced, garage door replaced.

Category gutter repair, roofing, woodworking

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review.

01/19/2012

Dwayne Z.

Excellent jpb. Outstanding work and customer service. Would use their services in the future without question.

Description of Work
Arrived promptly for free estimate, very professional yet personable. This was for work on my father's house, who is a senior: Chess was very understanding and respectful of my father's concerns. Once work was started, no change or additional costs.

Category gutter repair, roofing

09/14/2010

jeff S.

good roof, fast, cheap. been on many years now, with no problems

Description of Work
This was a while ago, but I just got a membership on here, and was kinda going back through past contractors that I had used

07/29/2008

richard D.

They did a good job. I was happy with it. They were very punctual. They were on time for everything. They actually got the job done before it was scheduled to be done. I had no additional clean up at all. They cleaned up everything.

Description of Work
Chess Roofing removed the old shingles from our garage roof and laid on new shingles.

06/14/2006

LINDSEY D.

I think for the price charge they were worth the money, they were punctual, and I worked directly with the owner and would not hesitate to recommend them to others.

Description of Work
They tore off my old roof and replaced with a new roof.

03/23/2006

THE SIDING TURNED OUT VERY BEAUTIFUL. I HAVE RECOMMENDED THEM TO A LOT OF PEOPLE. I THINK I AM GOING TO HIRE THEM AGAIN FOR ANOTHER JOB. THEY CHARGED ME A PRETTY GOOD PRICE AND PERFORMED A GOOD JOB. I AM SATISFIED.

Description of Work
THEY REPLACED THE SIDING ON THE ENTIRE HOUSE.

Mr. Mason LLC

Mr. Mason LLC is a family owned and operated masonry company. We are a fully licensed and insured company. Mr. Mason LLC continues to maintain current workman’s compensation and liability insurance. Mr. Mason LLC specializes in residential masonry restoration. We here at Mr. Mason LLC strive to achieve 100% customer satisfaction! Through friendly and prompt customer service, as well as quality projects built to withstand the harsh elements of Michigan winters. From Chimney rebuilds to simple tuck-pointing, each project is addressed with the same care and compassion. While having 30+ years of combined experience restoring homes in the metro Detroit area, Mr. Mason LLC currently employs only 10-15 skilled employees. Mr. Mason LLC Accepts only the highest quality craftsmanship from our masons and trusted workforce. Mr. Mason LLC has remained small enough to care without lacking production, quality and safety.

Above All Masonry & Construction LLC

From chimney cleaning to a new roof, we can help improve the look and value of your home or business. We have over 25 years experience adn we are fully insured and licensed. Above All Masonry & Construction, LLC is dedicated to home beautification and restoration for both Residential and Commercial properties. Protecting our clients' investment with durable, guranteed products, increasing home values and our professional, courteous employees are all sources of pride. We treat every project like its our own home. We are a member of the Better Business Bureau and the Detroit and Downriver Business Association.

Debris Free LLC

We are Debris Free LLC, we offer gutter cleaning, gutter guard installation, window cleaning, and light fixture cleaning. We are a local company (Oakland county) and we take pride in treating your home like we would treat our own! We offer 100% workmanship guarantee and would love the opportunity for to service your home! 5% senior/military/first responder/ teacher discount as well as referral benefits.

Visa, MasterCard, Check, Discover, Financing Available

Roofing. Gutters. Siding (including James Hardie). Ventilation. Skylights.

Interior work