Fulford Home Remodeling

Founded 1975 • With Angi since March 2003

We are a full service residential remodeling company, whose main focus is to transform our customers' homes to fit their lifestyle and personal taste. We provide a high level of professional service to our customers by offering creative design, accurate estimating, low-pressure sales, project management, and customer service, all in an honest and caring manner. Serving the Metro-East since 1987, we believe in creating long-term customer relationships by exceeding our customers expectations. We also strive to maintain a level of professionalism and profitability that allows us to provide a stable and safe work environment for our employees and trade contractors. Our mission is to be recognized by our customers and peers as a leader in our market, providing the highest level of professional service available. Through continued education, controlled growth, diversification, and by implementing new systems and technology, we will continue to improve our productivity, while maintaining our personal touch through attention to detail....

Basement Finish

+8 more images

4.4

home remodeling (11)basement remodeling (9)drywall (3)interior painting (2)decks & porches (2)tile installation (2)patio enclosures (1)glass block (1)

08/28/2020

Allison A.

Can’t say enough good things about the FHR team. They took our dreams and brought them to life. From the first meeting with Trent, visualizing what we wanted in our space and making it reality. Kent is the bomb. He made sure everything was done right, and looks spectacular. From just thinking we wanted a new patio, to this new outdoor oasis, WOW!!

Description of Work
Outdoor Living Space

Category decks, sunrooms

Work Completed On 08/28/2020

Review for Fulford Home Remodeling - 3318 N Illinois St, Swansea, IL - 38836853

Thank you so much for the amazing review! It was such a great experience working with you both also. So blessed to be your contractor for your amazing new outdoor living spaces!

04/13/2018

George S.

Our overall experience with Fulford Remodeling was very positive. Texts and emails with any questions or concerns were always answered in a very timely way. We recommend them most highly. Trent handled the design, planning and ordering of materials. He provided excellent referrals for items we had to arrange (closet systems, lighting fixtures, window treatments). We could never have managed this project without Trent’s guidance, suggestions and overall helpfulness throughout all the stages. We were very happy with the process and final design of the kitchen and master bathroom. Bobby maintained the schedule and made sure we had updated schedules throughout the project. Kent was our master carpenter. We were so pleased with the work he did on our kitchen and master bath (phase one) that we requested him for the remaining two phases. We were impressed not only by his work ethic, job site cleanliness and quality of work, all of which are outstanding, but by the thoughtful extra things he did from polishing doors we hadn’t replaced to texting us pictures of the progress when we were on vacation. He kept us well informed of the status of the work throughout.

Description of Work
Fulford Remodeling did a whole house remodel for us. It was done in three stages to allow us to remain in our home while work was being done. The work included a kitchen and master bath redesign, stairs and hallway updating, remodeling of additional 1 ½ baths, and new flooring and painting throughout.

Category drywall, remodeling, home remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 04/13/2018

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a honest review of your experience. You will forever be in Fulfords Hall of Fame for surviving 3 separate remodels in a single calendar year. You both were troopers and handled it like seasoned remodeling veterans. Thank you for choosing Fulford for your house remodel!

06/21/2017

Stuart S.

Consummate pros with the Midas touch. Fulford Home Remodeling just completed remodeling our kitchen and master bath…our second and third projects with them. From design to finish, their workmanship, skill, and experience make them the premier home remodelers in the Metro East. If you want your project to have that serious “Wow Factor,” Fulford Home Remodeling is your team.

Description of Work
Kitchen and Master Bath Remodeling

Work Completed On 06/16/2017

Thank you [Member Name Removed] for taking the time to write this review; we really value you as a client and appreciate that you keep entrusting Fulford Remodeling with your future projects. Congratulations on your amazing new kitchen and bath!

11/17/2015

Terri T.

Description of Work
Completely remodeled our bathroom

Work Completed On 11/12/2014

Hey [Member Name Removed]! Thank you for writing this awesome review. It was great working with you!

11/12/2015

Bobby L.

Description of Work
Renovated the kitchen

Work Completed On 09/09/2012

Thank you [Member Name Removed] for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write this review. We enjoyed working with you. Congratulations on your updated kitchen!

11/12/2015

Steven F.

Work Completed On 11/11/2015

Thank you [Member Name Removed] for writing this review and having Fulford remodel your kitchen.

10/28/2015

Deborah A D.

They were one of three quotes given. Price was within range of winning bidder. Winning bidder was able to start the project in June 2015, Fulford Home was booked thru summer; unable to start project until fall.

Description of Work
Provided quotes for remodeling project. Very professional and helpful in the remodeling ideas. Got a quote from them in Fall of 2014 and did a more updated quote in June 2015. Answered all emails promptly.

Work Completed On 06/01/2015

Hello [Member name removed], Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review for our company. Hope your basement went well; give us a call if you need anything in the future. Take care and happy remodeling! Trent K.

09/04/2015

Richard S.

Description of Work
Fulford home remodeling performed a complete remodel of my lower level. They did an outstanding job !! I was presented with a day by day schedule of what work would be performed on any given day. The schedule was very well adhered to and the workmanship was outstanding. I would recommend them for anyone needing home remodeling/repair.

Work Completed On 07/10/2015

Hello [Member name removed] Thank you for taking the time to write us a review! Your basement finish is amazing!!! Thank you for choosing Fulford Home Remodeling.

03/26/2015

Steven F.

Description of Work
remodeled kitchen; all new except for refrigerator and floor

Category basement remodeling

Work Completed On 12/10/2014

Hello [Member name removed], Thank you for taking the time to write us an online review on Angies List.

06/10/2014

Rob B.

These guys are great! Outstanding work, kept the timeline to complete the task. We have a beautiful basement b&d double the house space, WOW!

Description of Work
Full basement finish.

Work Completed On 07/10/2012

Hello [Removed member name] Thank you for taking the time out of your busy week to write us a review! You were great to work with!!!

07/17/2013

Marc H.

Their price was really high. They were not very responsive. Initially they came to the house and did a walk through and gave me a ballpark. I asked for a more detailed quote and it took them a month to get back to me. The price was much higher. I got the impression they didn't want to work for me.

Description of Work
I got a quote from Fulford Home Remodeling to finish the basement.

Work Completed On 07/03/2013

Hello Mr. [member name removed], We did complete a basement layout, 3-D rendering, detailed proposal and final firm pricing for your basement finish. We did set the expectation that we would be back in touch in two weeks; we apologize for being 9 working days late in getting the proposal to you. We did have the project drawn and priced within the original quoted time, but your salesman (John) had been in and out of work due to a close family members medical issues (someone should have contacted you to let you know that) We are sorry you did not get the attention you deserved and that we at Fulford Home Remodeling strive to provide. We wish you nothing but the best with your basement remodel. Sincerely, Fulford Home Remodeling

01/05/2013

Michelle B.

The project was started and finished on time all according to plan. They kept everything cleaned up at the end of the day which helped too make this project easier to live with while all the changes were being done. The work was done very professionally and I am very happy with the job they did.

Description of Work
My kitchen was totally gutted and remodeled from top to bottom. The walls were repaired where the soffits were removed and totally replastered, electrical updates, plumbing updates, new cabinets and flooring. The people at Fulford were very helpful in assisting with the design as well as picking out the products.

Work Completed On 11/21/2012

10/29/2012

CLIFFORD S.

Big project with overall outstanding results. Bit pricey, but get what you pay for, zero issues now approaching 10yrs.

Description of Work
Approx 500sq/ft room addition, sun-room. Integrated into existing home; off kitchen/backdoor; adding new door, exterior brickwork, 500ft patio, with pocket door, L shaped seating, roof, gutters. etc. Included drywall, texturing, paint, 12ft ceiling, carpet, tile door landing, etc.

Category remodeling, home remodeling

Work Completed On 06/01/2002

06/13/2012

Frank W.

This is an older job, but since Angie's List requested feedback for this contractor and we had them accomplish a substantial amount of work (over $34,000) we figured this would be worth writing about. Had a walk-through listening to what we wanted in the basement in Autumn 2009. About 7 days later had an appointment where we had a computerized view of what they had designed for us. Payment was very well spelled out - at different milestones, a percentage was paid. Very professional and almost exactly what wife was looking for. Perfectly followed their timetable...even dealing with finicky subcontractors for different aspects of the basement finish. Clean-up every night was immaculate. No complaints about the long-term quality of work except the dry-walling and shower area...where after 24 months, we noticed significant cracking in the drywall and separation of the paneling in the bathroom. Tiling was good except around the sliding glass door, probably due to some water intrusion the grout is cracking. Our house was built by Fulford. We have many complaints about what we consider to be mediocre construction of the house (especially our lousy carpet laying), but the basement, especially the carpet seems to be of sound materials and worksmanship. If we didn't have the issues in the bathroom with the panels and caulking, I'd probably have rated them close to straight "A"s.

Description of Work
Basement finish of about 800 square feet with tiling, dry-walling, shower install, plumbing and toilet. One bedroom, bathroom, and "sewing" room added.

Category ceramic tile, drywall, basement remodeling

Work Completed On 11/11/2009

10/11/2011

Leslie B.

They are an offshoot of Fulford Builders and are supposed to be highly regarded. I had spoken to someone there and left details on what I wanted done and they never got back to me. I felt that they should at least have the courtesy of calling and telling me that they were not interested in the job. The guy sounded very responsible on the phone. They had even told me that someone would call and set up a time and then he would come over and give me a bid, but they never called. I was given that story twice and it never happened. I went ahead and did it myself after two calls in two weeks.

Description of Work
I had called Fulford Home Remodeling twice for some for general home remodeling work and they never called back. I had asked if they if they could pull up and replace a piece of sub-floor on the perimeter of an exterior wall in the kitchen.

Category remodeling

Work Completed On 09/14/2011

Hello Member, So sorry that this happened to you. We try really hard to respond to all calls & inquiries within 24 hours. Unfortunately we somehow failed you twice. I understand that you have since had the work repaired, but if you need anything in the future; feel free to contact me directly at 618-235-4300 (ext. 13). We would be happy to help. Trent Ketchum (Project Consultant) Fulford Home Remodeling

07/09/2011

Nicholas & Virginia B.

* Overall customer satisfaction with the service Fulford Home Remodeling was poor at best. We are still in negotiation with Fulford to replace defects in supplied materials as of this writing (9 July, 2011). Fulford did provide a two year warranty on material and labor provided under the contract. * The job started on the day indicated by the schedule provided by Fulford, 11 August, 2010, and was scheduled to end on 27 August, 2010. * The first day went well with material delivery, marble delivery, demolish Master Bath Vanity Top, and removal of corner cabinet in the kitchen. Since my wife and I both have day jobs, we allowed access to the house by providing a house key - Fulford provided a lock box for the key. * The problems started after the first day. * No dust barriers were installed to prevent dust during the the demolition of existing flooring, countertops, fixtures, and other items. The dust created by the demolition was spread thoughout the house and into rooms that were not being remodeled. This was a constant theme throughout the remodeling. When I asked a sub-contractor about the dust, the response was 'it goes with the territory'. I had sensitive electronic equipment in the house including televisions, computers, and hobby equipment that was found to have considerable dust on the equipment. Also, a newly installed ceiling fan began to make noises not heard when the fan was first installed. * Removal of the dinette table and hutch was required to demolish and install kitchen flooring. The table and hutch were moved into the garage for storage. While the table and hutch were in the garage, the table was used to store granite countertops and a hole was gouged into the back of hutch. The appliances in the kitchen were also moved. This included a new dishwasher and refrigerator. The dishwasher was found with scratches and the refrigerator had dents on the right side. Fulford did take responsibility for the damages and provided a $300.00 credit only after I insisted compensation. * The garage was used for cutting material and for storage of hardware. No concern was given in placing covers over cars and personal items or any clean-up after the project. I'm still finding dust and cuttings around my garage. * The granite countertop for the kitchen was initially installed in error. The sub-contractor for the granite countertops, Hallmark Stone, Fenton, MO, inspected the installation and agreed to repair the errors. * The existing wood flooring in the foyer was demolished to allow for installation of new hard wood flooring. The sub-contractors that did the demolition did not put down drop cloths on the livingroom and dining room carpets. Wood chips, staples, and broken exacto blades from the demolition were found in the carpeting of both rooms. I discovered that my own shop-vac was used to try to vacuum up the wood chips; however, the shop-vac resulted in being clogged and inoperable. I did not give permission for the contractor to use the shop-vac. The nightly clean-up by my wife and myself was a recurring theme throughout the project. * Several times when my wife and I returned home from work, we found exterior doors open and unsecure with no one in the home. Interior lights were left on and air conditioner running on full. One evening during a walk-through inspection with the production manager, I noticed an odor of burnt wood. Initially, I thought the odor may be coming from a neighbor burning leaves; however, I later found that the village fire department was dispatched to my home that afternoon as the result of an alert from my home security system. Apparently, when cutting wood flooring inside the house, enough heat was generated to cause smoke which then set off the smoke alarm. Although this event was never mentioned by the production manager, I later found out from a neighbor asking if my home had any smoke damage. * New louvered bi-pass doors were installed to replace existing mirrored doors to the closets in three bedrooms. When the doors were replaced, I inspected the installation and found the doors were not secured to the floor; thus allowing the doors to freely swing and bump into each other. I had to contact the production manager to make sure the doors were properly installed. The louvers that made up the doors were warped. I did complain to the production manager about this defect. The production manager responded that the warping was due to the doors being painted (the doors were delivered painted). I found that excuse unacceptable. The warped doors are still in contention as part of the warranty. * New exhaust fans were installed in all bathrooms. Soon after the installation of the exhaust fans, I noticed the fan installed in the guest bathroom made an unusual sound when running. I noted this observation and immediately called this to the project lead's attention, but did not receive a response. The Fulford production manager did send a person to check out the installation of the fan and the exhaust duct, without making any replacement to the fan assembly. The noise from the exhaust fan continued. The fan now does not run. * Soon after the initial re-installation by the contractor of the dishwasher, I attempted to run the dishwasher. The dishwasher appeared to work; however, after several minutes, I noted water coming from underneath the dishwasher and spreading onto the new kitchen flooring and beneath the kitchen bar. The bar is comprised of the same wood as the cabinets are constructed. The water running from the dishwasher under the bar caused water to penetrate the wood which, in turn, warped the wood at the bottom of the bar. When I complained about the damage, the production manager said that Fulford would not be responsible for the water damage. The plumber for this contract was sent to the home and found the dishwasher water supply was re-installed improperly. Fulford has not provided any compensation for the damage to the kitchen bar area. * The project schedule indicated the project would end on 27 August, 2010. The project continued into November, 2010, when I made final payment only after receiving assurance from Fulford that any defects that were still in contention would be covered under the two-year 'call-back' warranty. At the writing of this report, 9 July, 2011, none of the defects have been repaired, although the production manager has visited the home three times with different excuses for the defects. Both my wife and I feel we are getting the 'run-around'. We hired Fulford Home Remodeling not because they were the least expensive. We had three bids and Fulford came in the middle. After several recommendations from neighbors regarding the quality of Fulford's service, my wife and I decided upon Fulford. Not exactly sure what happened with our experience, but I would not recommend Fulford Home Remodeling. It seemed to me that Fulford has no respect for our property, time, or concerns. Communications were poor from the start of the project and schedules were not met. I met with the manager of Fulford Home Remodeling and came out of that meeting with the thought that Fulford was not concerned with the satisfaction of the customer, but only in protecting it's reputation.

Description of Work
1. New Granite Countertops in Kitchen and Master Bath 2. New Cultured Marble Countertops in 1/2 Bath and Full Guest Bath 3. New Shower Stall in Master Bath (Cultured Marble) 4. New Flooring (Vinyl & Hardwood) in Kitchen, 1/2 Bath, Laundry, Foyer, and Hall 5. New Sinks, Faucets, and Fixtures for Kitchen and Baths 6. New Closet Doors (replaced mirrored sliding doors with wood louvered bi-pass closet doors) 7. New Exhaust Fans for three Bathrooms 8. Install Kitchen Light 9. Install three Toilets 10. Mirror Trim in Guest Bath

Work Completed On 08/11/2010

A large amount of the complaints in this review are caused by the flooring contractor which the homeowner hired driectly and independantly of Fulford Remodeling. The floor protection and plastic zip-wall poles that were installed by Fulford Home Remodeling were removed by this flooring contractor. In addition; the doors that were left open and the burning "smell" was also a result fo this independant contractor. We unfortunately were not given credit in the review above for hiring a proffesional house cleaner to clean the dust caused by this contractor. We are glad to see that we were given credit in the review above for crediting the homeowner $300 for the fridge (although we cannot confirm who caused the dents; we took the blame a gave the credit). We also repaired the hutch and hired a custom furniture doctor to custom stain the backing to match. We are sorry the damage was caused to the furniture, but are please with the finished result. We have given the homeowner options for both the bathroom fan and the louvered doors, but received no response back. On multiple documented occasions we have scheduled dates with the homeowner to make final repairs; only to be canceled on last minute. Although we have many satisfied clients in this homeowners neighborhood; we unfortunately could not satisfy these homeowners.

05/18/2011

FRANKIE M.

The quality of their work was excellent. I don't think there is anything that they could improve on. They were friendly and seemed professional. They knew what they were doing. I will use them again in the future.

Description of Work
I used Fulford Home Remodeling to do some bathroom remodeling.

Work Completed On 06/17/2009

01/21/2011

Tim C.

They were very professional. They had very nice visual aids. The gentleman that did the walk-around for the measurements in the estimate seemed to know what he was doing. I didn't like the price. I don't think there was any problem with their punctuality.

Description of Work
Fulford Home Remodeling gave us a bid on a bath remodeling. The quote was for gutting one bathroom and doing some remodeling on two others.

Category ceramic tile, drywall, glass block, home remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 05/11/2010

08/01/2005

JEFF C.

THEY WERE FRIENDLY.

Description of Work
REDID BATHROOM, FINISHED THE BASEMENT, AND ADDED A WINDOW TO MY HOUSE.

Category remodeling

03/19/2003

BARBARA S.

THEY CAME OUT AND DID THE JOB AND I WAS HAPPY.

Description of Work
HE REPAIRED SOME PILLARS.

Category decks