If you want to knock down a wall to open up your living space, you’ll need to understand the costs involved. Follow our guide to hiring a professional structural engineer to remove a load-bearing or non-load-bearing wall.
Get matched with top structural engineers in Birmingham, AL
There are 3 highly-rated local structural engineers.
Matching on Angi
Recent Structural Engineering Reviews in Birmingham
- AFS Foundation & Waterproofing SpecialistsIt went great, as much as these things can go. And I apologize for being so tardy with this review, as their work was done in spring of 2015. They did everything they said they were going to do, and they fixed the inevitable "surprises" that popped up. They only issue we had was that after the new flooring was laid, we discovered that there was still a slope in the floor. So they came back out, adjusted the jack, and repaired the part of the floor that cracked due to that adjustment. I really couldn't ask for more. I thought the price was fair, given the amount of work they had to do
- Southern-Home Structural Repair Specialistsinstalled three support beams. the crew was professional, nice and quite and punctual. Mr. Garland has been in this business for 40 years so he knows what he is doing. And he is super nice, like my grandpa. They made two trips, the first one was to dig holes and pour concrete and the second one was to install the structural parts. I absolutely recommend their service
- Southern-Home Structural Repair SpecialistsWe could not have been more pleased with the job that was done. 17 steel beams were installed along the wall. Everything was done in a timely and professional manner and the crew did a wonderful job cleaning up when the project was finished. Our only regret is that we did not have this done sooner!
- Southern-Home Structural Repair SpecialistsSouthern Home Structural Repair Specialists repaired a major damage in our basement walls. The Owner/Founder, Mr. Garland Caudle was the person who attended to our needs. His knowledge, punctuality, and customer service can be overshadowed only by his competence and professionalism. This is one contractor who is a cut above all others I have dealt with over the years. His integrity is impeccable, the work of his team is top-notch, and dealing with him has been a pleasure. I highly recommend this contractor for anyone who needs foundation repair. Afif Kanafani Hoover, A
- Southern-Home Structural Repair SpecialistsI contacted Garland Caudle for an inspection and estimate. I had some support installed in 2006, but had seen indications that this initial work was not sufficient (hairline cracks in walls, etc). Setting up the appointment was easy, Garland was on time and we had a thorough discussion of the required work. The three supports installed earlier needed replacing and the floor area under the kitchen and laundry room needed additional support. Garland gave a formal proposal within a day and we set up two days for the work...first day to prepare the area and pour concrete footings and the second day to install the supporting structures.The crew arrived on time both days and quickly did the work. They also left the area very neat. The crawl space is encapsulated and they ensured minimal disturbance of the moisture barrier and SHSRS coordinated follow up repair of the barrier with the encapsulation company.The total experience was outstanding. I got good value for the money spent
- Southern-Home Structural Repair SpecialistsIt couldn't have gone better; they did a magnificent job. They are not cheap but you get what you pay for. I can't say enough good things about them.
- Timber Products Engineering, Inc.Mr. Edwards met me and my realtor to take a look at the foundation. He looked for cracks in the walls upstairs to determine if the house was shifting. He evaluated the block walls in the basement, walked the perimeter of the home to assess the slope and water condition, and examined the steel columns and beams in the basement. Within 2 days I had a report detailing his findings and assessment of the structure, as well as suggestions for mitigaiting any issues
- CRITERIUM CARLYSLE ENGINEERSIt was an excellent experience. The engineer was timely and took a lot of time to explain in detail. I was very impressed by Mr. Carlysle.
- Tucker-Jones Engineers AssociatesI called Barry Jones. He was thorough and he did it really reasonably on the price. I put together a 20 page document on all the structural elements already described and gave this to him so he didn't have to look stuff up. He went through my documentation and wrote his calculations. He gave me a cover letter for my city stating it was built well beyond the structural requirements for my building
- AFS Foundation & Waterproofing SpecialistsTheir price was reasonable. They were courteous. It took them 9 days to try to get the order right and get the right equipment which was supposed to be a half a day job. It wasn't exactly what we thought it was going to be because the communication between us and the supervisor and the team that came out to do the job was not good
Structural Engineers in Birmingham
- Business Description:R & J Homes Company is a Professional Flooring Contractor that has been in business since 2012. Offers services like Flooring Installation, Floor Refinishing, and more. Contact us for more information. Mold Remediation Hartselle AL Flooring Service, Flooring Installation, Foundation Waterproofing, Quality Flooring, Hardwood Floor Refinishing http://rjhomescompany.com/Recent Review:I'm absolutely amazed with the quality of work of Jonathan Hernandez and his team! The best work I have ever experienced. They were innovative, precise, efficient, open to suggestions and offering solutions to improve my original ideas, excellent collaborative team. It was really my pleasure working with such a great team, and I fully recommend them for any remodeling work you might haveEmil J.
- Business Description:Over 30 years in business | Lifetime transferable warranty | Hardwood, carpet, and flooring experts | 99.7% dustless sanding | We offer New Carpet Installation, Hardwood Flooring, Vinyl and Tile for residential and commercial clients. We are Certified Master Craftsmen. Master installers and finishers of all types of wood floors. - In business since 1989 - Christian/American owned operated - Lifetime warranty on all craftsmanship - 99.7% dustless sanding available - Free Estimates - Licence & ..Recent Review:WoW! So where do I start. First, I would like to thank Corey (Owner) of Mr. Hardwoods. Note: He really does look like MacGyver or his twin. I made an appointment and he was very punctual. I explained that I had installed vinyl flooring in our basement but started making mistakes. After showing me the problems, I was having he made recommendations to remedy the problems. I went and purchased the additional extra flooring to finish entire basement. He got one of his crews on it and honestly, I didn’t know how it would turn out. I came home early from work and found them all hard at work and I was surprised they were finishing up. Corey said it was an all-day job, but his crew was done in 5 hrs. WoW! It took me over 2 days putting it down in 2 rooms and making mistakes. They saved most of my other boards I had and this sure save me a lot of money. Now my basement is finished and looks fantastic. I will be using them again for our basement stairs and for my company’s business. I can’t say better things about them at this pointAndy S.
- Business Description:At Don Kennedy and Sons our mission is to provide safe, effective, and professional residential and commercial property moving solutions, together with the services that are needed to keep the base of the building safe, dry, and secure. Whether this means installing special systems to keep moisture out, or adding pier supports to ensure structural integrity of a building or home - we can help. Our services include: -house moving -foundation settlement repair -waterproofing systems -crawl ..Recent Review:Tony was referred to me by my real estate agent and he was absolutely fantastic. Tony came right on time when he said he would be there and his communications were prompt and professional. It was a pleasure to work with Tony during the proposal phase and the work itself. He is technically knowledgeable and dependable. I highly recommend him! He is the reason I contracted with Don Kennedy & Sons. <p>The foundation support piers did exactly what they were supposed to do. The stair step cracks in the brick closed right up as we had hoped. There was a little more impact to the yard and soil than I had expected, but not a major issue.</p> <p>The Stable Lift Piers and 2x8 girders also did their job. They are not as elaborate of a solution as the adjustable “Smart Jacks” on top of poured concrete pads from AFS, but they do work and they are a little less expensive. I recommend that consumers understand what they are purchasing on major repairs like this and get someone to help if they don’t. I did an internship with a home inspector, and I have structural improvements at my main residence, so I was able to spot some minor issues which Tony readily and proactively agreed to correct once I explained them on the phone. The laborers came right over, understood my concerns, and fixed them right away. Some additional materials were added at no expense/no questions. I think if Tony had been available to inspect before I did he would have corrected these on his own. My own inspection was prematurely hurried by the office manager – see below.</p> <p>Administratively this business has some improvements to make. At 2:00 on Friday I was called by the administrative assistant that my work was complete and asking for immediate payment. I kindly asked for a chance to see the work first over the weekend and that I would pay on my way to work first thing Monday morning. I was told that they would have to ask the office mgr. This made sense and I agreed. Surprisingly, Jordan called me back promptly explaining that this was not acceptable per her manager and that I needed to leave my own job and arrange for payment with Jordan ASAP. I immediately left a voice mail for Tony. Thankfully he straightened it all out. I was never given an apology by the office manager. So, I ran over first thing Saturday morning and observed the minor corrections needed to be made. The office mgr’s insistence on paying right after they were done seemed underhanded (and downright strange too), but Tony made it all right. The office manager needs to get better at being reasonable conducting business, treating people respectfully, and resolving business issues firsthand. The administrative assistant Jordan worked very hard to provide great, positive customer service. I remained with the laborers on Saturday to make sure everything was fixed to spec, and it was. The laborers worked hard and were very friendly.</p> <p>I’d recommend to Don Kennedy and to their customers that a 7-10 business day payment period be part of the contract to allow the customer time to inspect themselves, Tony to inspect, and/or get a buddy to inspect after completion of the work. This will also take a lot of stress off the front office and the customer. I’ve contracted lots of work over the years and I’ve never been pressed for payment so urgently – despite a 50% down payment.</p> <p>In summary I do recommend Don Kennedy & Sons for structural repairs, especially if you go through Tony.</p> <br> <br> <brBill M.
- Business Description:AFS Foundation & Waterproofing Specialist, founded in 2000, is a subsidiary of Groundworks, a family of companies that offers superior, proven solutions for your foundation repair, structural repair, crawl space encapsulation, dehumidification, and concrete leveling needs. They currently maintain offices in Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, and Mississippi. AFS is a recognized accredited member of the Better Business Bureau and devotes its years of experience, industry knowledge and specialized t..Recent Review:AFS reps responded promptly to our call, came out, spend a lot of time inspecting, explaining and creating an estimate for several things that they said needed to be done. Among their recommendations was digging down 14 feet to install helical piers. We had some significant sticker shock from the whole package of estimates. They offered a discount if we acted quickly. They called later and offered another discount "this week." This was our first estimate. I called a friend who is a retired structural engineer and he spoke to me informally. We then called an independent structural engineer--and also got an additional estimate from someone we heard from a couple of engineers had the best reputation and had been around the longest. No one else recommended the helical piers. Not the independent engineer. Not our experienced former retired engineer, and not the other contractor. The second estimate was considerably more affordable. To be honest, we would never work with a company who offer time-limited discounts for quick decisions. It seems designed to discourage further estimates and signals to me that they would be happy to do the work at a lower cost. I know contractors and vendors do and SHOULD make money on the job--but it's an off-putting sales approach for usDale W.
- Business Description:Southern-Home Structural Repair Specialists is a team of professionals committed to serving our customers & home owners with a full range of quality foundation repair services provided promptly and at a fair and competitive price! Founded in 1996, Garland Caudle brings to its customers app. 41 years of experience in the residential floor, foundation, and basement wall repair businessRecent Review:Garland came out and did the inspection. He was thorough and answered all of my questions in detail. His workers arrived on time, completed the work ahead of schedule and were professional. I'd recommend this company to anyone in need of foundation workNathan O.
- Business Description:At Don Kennedy and Sons our mission is to provide safe, effective, and professional residential and commercial property moving solutions, together with the services that are needed to keep the base of the building safe, dry, and secure. Whether this means installing special systems to keep moisture out, or adding pier supports to ensure structural integrity of a building or home - we can help. Our services include: -house moving -foundation settlement repair -waterproofing systems -crawl spac..Recent Review:Great. We bought the house in Aug 2015. Had a house fire and had been totally remodeled. This winter after a big rain and a cold snap tiles throughout the kitchen began cracking. <br> <br>Daniel came out and did a through inspection of the house. Told us the slab fine, the house was solid. What had been done is the tile was mudded right on the slab and as age and weather cause normal cracks in the slab the tiles cracked. <br> <br>When we replace the tiles he said to put the correct backer board down and it won't crack in the future. <br> <br>He did say he'd be happy to come out after we get tiles up and check to make sure the cracks are nothing more than minor issues. <br> <br>From the phone call to schedule, to the "I'm on my way." call, to his professional work ethic and petting of my dog and cat -- Daniel exemplified everything you could ask for in a service provider. Appreciate the no cost peace of mind inspection. <brTherese S.
- Business Description:Olshan has been repairing foundations since 1933. Over the years, we have worked on virtually every kind of foundation, for families with all different types of needs and we’ve learned a lot about both. We know that your home is your most valuable asset. Where you raise your family. Create memories. Cherish loved ones. So, when you have a structural problem and choose us to resolve it, we approach the task of repairing your home not just as a job, but as an important responsibilityRecent Review:I contacted Olshan because of some serious concerns that literally wake me up at night. There have been significant issues with my 7 year old home, and many issues with its builder. <br /> My biggest struggle has been not knowing who to turn to for clear assessment. Ive researched significantly, but theres nothing like industry experience. <br /> Unfortunately, so many companies see a price tag when they look at homeowners like me. Prior to contacting Olshan, I had reached out to some other individuals, and they were either rescheduling frequently, or sent an inexperienced person who quoted me 5-8k to start. Any question I asked was either met with a redirection or host down. <br /> The contact methods, phone calls and follow ups were very professional and organized. When Bud arrived, he was immediately attentive, intuitive, and conveyed years of experience in the scenario. Most important of all, I didn't feel like he was looking for my wallet :). As I relayed my concerns it was quite an education. Id found I was right about some things, wrong about others. What impressed me the most was that my situation really didn't warrant a large scale project at that time. There are things I can do to correct and monitor the situation. Bud spent a great deal of time with me, and followed up with me when he had an additional thought. He gave me strategies to deal with what situation I had, when to know its time to follow up and call, and actually asked for some feedback on how a particular item turned out. I really identified with that request because it showed a willingness to learn about a difference scenario, to gain more experience. <br /> What amazes me most, is that it was a free consultation. I have no doubt that if my situation was worse, we would have discussed treatment options, but to have a company treat me with respect like that, I just can't express how wonderful it was. <br /> I would have gladly paid for that consultation yesterday. Bud's time, experience, and overall ability to put me at ease literally made me feel like I have some control over the situation. Its a personal thing to say, but I almost felt like I was being mentored, and that direction has made me so much more assured what direction to take. <br /Donald F.
- Recent Review:I would recommend Criterium Carlysle Engineers to anyone who feels the need for their services. Especially when you find yourself up against your home owner insurance company. <br /> Hopefully, we can proceed on the repairs needed now that things have been documented and certified by an expert. Knowing this Company is on my side is the best decision we have made. <br /Sharon P.
Explore our Solution Center for helpful structural engineer articles
Do you have a suspicious support beam in your home with signs of dry rot, water damage, or—dare we say it—termites? The cost to replace a rotted support beam will take all these causes into account, as well as your unique home design.
Earthquakes can cause serious damage to homes, but whether you have a new build or an older house, you can protect it from these natural disasters. Find out earthquake retrofit costs based on type of home, foundation type, retrofit method, and more.
Find structural engineers in
structural engineers in Birmingham
Companies below are listed in alphabetical order.
To view top rated service providers along with reviews & ratings, join Angi now!
- Affordable Foundation & Home Repair2203 Highway 31 NW
Hartselle, Alabama 35640
- Affordable Foundation & Home Repair
- Mr. Hardwood Inc4260 Industrial Center Lane Northwest
Acworth, Georgia 30101
- Mr. Hardwood Inc
- OLSHAN FOUNDATION REPAIR629 INDUSTRIAL PARK DR
Pelham, Alabama 35124
- OLSHAN FOUNDATION REPAIR
- PRO Construction, LLC1104 Dunnavant Valley Rd
Birmingham, Alabama 35242
- PRO Construction, LLC
- Southern-Home Structural Repair Specialists731 3rd Ave N
Birmingham, Alabama 35203
- Southern-Home Structural Repair Specialists