Southern-Home Structural Repair Specialists

Founded 1996 • With Angi since February 2009

731 3rd Ave N

Birmingham, AL 35203

Southern-Home Structural Repair Specialists is a team of professionals committed to serving our customers & home owners with a full range of quality foundation repair services provided promptly and at a fair and competitive price! Founded in 1996, Garland Caudle brings to its customers app. 41 years of experience in the residential floor, foundation, and basement wall repair business....

12/07/2020

Tara J.

My first inspection appointment was in early July 2020. Matt showed up to inspect and was very polite but was unable to inspect entire crawl space because of narrow clearance. He took pictures and measurements and recommended some things we could do to make the foundation more secure. I was told to expect a quote with pictures on Monday. After not hearing anything from him for 3 MONTHS after emailing him through the website and leaving messages on the office answering machine. Finally heard back from Matt on October 14th, and I agreed to another inspection with him bringing along another smaller sized worker that would be able to inspect the entire crawl space. Second inspection was November 5th 2020, they were very polite and found a few more things that could be improved. I was told to expect a quote on Friday. It is now December 7th and I have yet to hear anything from this company. Very frustrating and I will not be using them in the future.

Description of Work
Foundation non old home needed a professional inspection, wonky floors and soft spot in downstairs bathroom.

Category basement waterproofing, structural engineer

04/07/2018

benny W.

Work performed a few weeks after estimate, took a day and a half to complete. I had 16 wall support post installed to stabilize bowing walls. Materials were heavier and installed closer together than any of the other contractors estimates and also a little cheaper. Good people to deal with, pleasant experience.

Description of Work
Basement wall stabilization

01/13/2018

Dale W.

We were able to coordinate the work of Southern Home Structural and also Aqua-Guard. Garland Caudle at Southern Home has an excellent reputation. We had read reviews here at Angie's, but also got word-of-mouth recommendation from structural engineers. He is responsive, prompt and offers quality work for reasonable prices. Just a pleasure to work with Garland and his crew and as long as he's at it, if we ever need any other work he can do, we'll use him.

Description of Work
We needed multiple braces along a long basement wall which had gradually been yielding to soil pressure behind it. This needed to be simultaneously with a waterproofing job. Was able to coordinate the work of Southern Home Structural and also Aqua-Guard. Garland Caudle at Southern Home has an excellent reputation. He is responsive, prompt and offers quality work for reasonable prices. Just a pleasure to work with Garland and his crew.

11/08/2017

Nathan O.

Garland came out and did the inspection. He was thorough and answered all of my questions in detail. His workers arrived on time, completed the work ahead of schedule and were professional. I'd recommend this company to anyone in need of foundation work.

Description of Work
Basement wall was bulging and was in need of support.

09/11/2017

Hairui S.

installed three support beams. the crew was professional, nice and quite and punctual. Mr. Garland has been in this business for 40 years so he knows what he is doing. And he is super nice, like my grandpa. They made two trips, the first one was to dig holes and pour concrete and the second one was to install the structural parts. I absolutely recommend their service!

Description of Work
I thought part of my house was sinking so I called Garland and he checked it out and found that one beam was bent due to too much furnitures and appliances. So he proposed a plan to reinforce the structure in crawl space and the price was reasonable.

09/08/2017

Earl P.

These guys are honest and do excellent work. Detailed contracts with everything explained up front. When they left everything was cleaner than when they arrived.

Description of Work
Foundation repair on a large basement. Installation of 14 steel wall braces and 5 helical piers under the foundation. Sealed all horizontal and vertical wall cracks.

08/22/2017

Leonard I.

They were highly professional and the price was very reasonable.

Description of Work
They made corrections to properly support the house by replacing 4 of 6 failed, washed out, brick piers.They properly routed storm waters away from the building to flow around and away. I paid 50% upfront and the other half upon completion.

06/15/2017

Nelda G.

We could not have been more pleased with the job that was done. 17 steel beams were installed along the wall. Everything was done in a timely and professional manner and the crew did a wonderful job cleaning up when the project was finished. Our only regret is that we did not have this done sooner!

Description of Work
One of the walls in our basement had begun to bow after 35 years of pressure on it from water and dirt. We had also been advised by two other companies that it was very necessary to have structural work done.

03/23/2017

Steven B.

Southern Home structural was very fast to respond to my call and fix our problem. I will use them again if needed . And I really do recommend them to anybody that needs any kind of foundation repair. Garland was very quick on getting us a quote. And the guys that came out were friendly and very professional. They even reworked there schedule when my wife had to go to the hospital. Thanks again for that Garland.

Description of Work
Floor was sagging. Needed support beam installed and floor jacked up to remove sag .

02/20/2017

William Y.

It went well.I was pleased with the outcome.

Description of Work
concrete wall in basement was bowing inward and needed to be braced to stabilize it from futher movement.

Category structural engineer, foundation repair

01/20/2017

Frank G.

We called several foundation companies but settled on Southern-Home Structural. Garland Caudle was quick to respond for our request for an estimate. He surveyed the areas of concern and said that the foundation had settled slightly due to the drought conditions, but it was not enough to do expensive foundation piers. He suggested that we take care of the block basement walls with metal wall braces and just keep an eye for any further movement. This is exactly what the structural engineering firm we previously contacted had told us. All the other foundation companies wanted us to put in the foundation piers at about six times the cost we paid for the braces. It is very refreshing to have someone give you an honest and professional opinion. Garland Caudle at Southern Home Structural is that person.

Description of Work
My home had a small horizontal crack running along the concrete block foundation wall in our basement. Also, there were some separation in the brick veneer outside. We were told that this could be a major foundation problem.

01/16/2017

Roxana H.

Very well. They were on time and did the work quickly

Description of Work
Repair sagging floor

12/30/2016

AFIF K.

Southern Home Structural Repair Specialists repaired a major damage in our basement walls. The Owner/Founder, Mr. Garland Caudle was the person who attended to our needs. His knowledge, punctuality, and customer service can be overshadowed only by his competence and professionalism. This is one contractor who is a cut above all others I have dealt with over the years. His integrity is impeccable, the work of his team is top-notch, and dealing with him has been a pleasure. I highly recommend this contractor for anyone who needs foundation repair. Afif Kanafani Hoover, AL

Description of Work
Foundation and Basement walls repair.

Category masonry, basement waterproofing, structural engineer, foundation repair

10/09/2016

Andrea S.

Garland Caudle was a pleasure to work with. He is friendly, professional, and punctual. His crew got the new braces installed quickly, and were back immediately after the waterproofing was done to grout behind them. Garland stayed involved throughout the entire job, and even sent me a thank you note afterwards! I would most definitely recommend this company for any foundation repairs.

Description of Work
I had 14 steel braces that needed to be replaced prior to waterproofing the basement.

09/21/2016

Stephen L.

It couldn't have gone better; they did a magnificent job. They are not cheap but you get what you pay for. I can't say enough good things about them.

Description of Work
I used them 5 or 6 months ago.

12/24/2015

paul S.

Showed up as scheduled. Did a great job. Garland updated me from time to time and was easily contacted. Doors all fit perfectly in the house. Had some very minor adjustments that I asked about. Someone met me at the house and made the adjustments in a day or two. Hopefully never need foundation repairs again, but if so would definitely call them again.

Description of Work
Foundation repair, helical piers placed, french drain installed.

04/18/2015

Christie P.

The company did a very good job. They showed up on time and did the work as promised. I would definitely recommend Southern-Home Structural Repair Specialists.

Description of Work
Leveled floor using support beams.

07/05/2014

Thomas M.

Very well. Work was performed in a timely manner with extreme care and superior skill. I highly recommend this company.

Description of Work
Realigned Deflection in Central Girder

Category basement waterproofing, foundation repair

06/23/2014

James H.

Description of Work
Manufactured and installed floor supports to correct a problem with sagging floors and wall cracks. Work was done on a timely basis. The supports were manufactured off site, based on a number of measurements made in the crawl space. Installation was done very quickly. See above

06/03/2014

Esther M.

They came out and put in the braces - heavy duty steel braces. They caulked all cracks added wooden blocks between floor joists. They cleaned up after the work was completed. Once we had our house waterproofed, they came back and grouted the braces to wall. Our wall looks very sturdy. Would highly recommend them and use them again on any future needs for this home or another.

Description of Work
Installation of 3 steel wall braces.

05/05/2014

Grant W.

We had a great experience. They were extremely prompt and professional. They were able to complete the work within a day. I had multiple people recommend them outside of Angie's List; that is why we used them. Southern-Home Structural Repair Specialists will be our first stop for any future foundation work needed!

Description of Work
Install of wall braces in the basement.

03/17/2014

ELIZABETH K.

Garland was professional, helpful and knowledgeable in regards to the foundation work we needed on our home. I would definitely hire him again!

Description of Work
Foundation work

03/10/2014

jerry M.

the job went very smooth. the workers were very polite and professional . they filled up the damaged with grout and installed steel 4x4 post. they cleaned up after themselves totally and left everything just great.

Description of Work
repaired a damaged back wall in my basement [ bulging]

Category basement waterproofing, foundation repair

02/27/2014

Heather M.

Based on previous Angie's List reviews, I asked Mr. Caudle to come to my house and look at some areas of my house that I was concerned about. I had some classic signs of shifting, like diagonal hairline cracks over doorframes, and splitting caulk lines where wood fixtures met the walls. Mr. Caudle called before our appointment time to confirm and came right as scheduled. He asked me to show him where my concerns were, and then we went into the basement for him to look at the support structures for a particular area that was worrying me. Mr. Caudle talked me through what he was looking at, and why he was or was not concerned about a particular surface issue. He identified the primary problem (setting a support directly on concrete floor over dirt, rather than on a footing under the concrete floor) and indicated that it would be a $1500-$1600 problem to fix. However, he said that it wasn't an emergency given how little the shift was in width over the course of years, and suggested that I simply recaulk the split wall/cabinet that had notified me of the problem and "watch it" for signs of widening. When it is time to do the work, I will call Mr. Caudle, hands down, no need to look elsewhere. It is so refreshing to 1)have someone talk me through what they are seeing vs. what they should be seeing, 2) alleviate my fears of catastrophic foundation failure instead of feeding into it for easy money, and 3) giving an honest opinion on how quickly the work does/does not to be done instead of pushing for a job that might not fit into my budget today. I also liked that he really took the time to educate me on areas I should watch that I hadn't even been paying attention to (the brick on the garage at the point of the problem). This was an A+++ experience.

Description of Work
Inspection and Estimate

02/10/2014

Gail C.

Garland was very thorough, although he missed some cracks in the brick mortar on the second level of the house. He did address a crack on the bottom level and gave good advice to caulk it and see if there was any more movement in the structure before deciding that piers would be needed. He recommended 14-15 braces on two walls of the basement. Although we chose to use another company, I believe this company would also do a good job.

Description of Work
Inspected for foundation problems.

Aqua-Guard Waterproofing, Inc.

Aqua-Guard Waterproofing is a foundation waterproofing contractor. Aqua-Guard specializes in repairing wet or damp basements and crawlspaces. We install the Aqua-Guard Basement Waterproofing System and the Aqua-Guard Crawlspace System, both of which, carry our Life of the Structure Warranty. Aqua-Guard also specializes in crawlspace encapsulation which creates a healthy home environment. The Aqua-Guard Closed Crawlspace System eliminates musty odors, improves air quality, takes away the ability for mold and mildew to grow, and insulates the crawlspace, therefore, making the home more energy efficient.

ALABAMA PROFESSIONAL SERVICE INC

Founded in 1977 and in its third generation as a family run business, Alabama Professional Services, Inc., is now one of the largest pest control and crawl space contractor companies in Alabama. By following through on a promise of excellent customer service, quality installations, and industry leading products, Craig Williams, President of Alabama Professional Services, Inc., and his company are constantly growing, establishing themselves in a position at the very top of their industry.

Mckinney Concrete

166663-07191
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Alabama, Jefferson County, Alabama
    12/31/2017

Foundation and Basement Wall Repairs, Wall Bracing, Floor Leveling, Floor Joist and Sills replaced, Waterproofing, Crawlspace & Moisture control and Crawlspace Encapsulation