Learn How to Kill Mold Naturally

You don't need to use harsh cleaners

Angi Staff
Written by Angi Staff
Updated May 11, 2022
Difficulty

Easy

You've got this!

Time to complete

30 minutes

Need professional help with your project?
Get quotes from top-rated pros.

What you'll need:

TOOLS

  • tea tree oil
  • vinegar
  • rag
  • plastic spray bottle
  • hydrogen peroxide (optional)
  1. USING TEA TREE OIL

    If you find mold in your house, there are a number of products you can use to get rid of it, including bleach, vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. However, tea tree oil is by far the most effective, natural option. It's a little bit more expensive than the alternatives ($10 for a 2 oz. bottle), but a little bit goes a long way, and it works extremely well. Think of tea tree oil as mold kryptonite.

  2. MIX ONE TEASPOON OF TEA TREE OIL WITH ONE CUP OF WATER IN A PLASTIC SPRAY BOTTLE

    Tea tree oil is naturally-occurring and considered safe for adults. However, it can be toxic to small children and pets (especially cats and dogs) in high doses. If you have little ones in the house, be sure to store your tea tree oil bottle in a safe place. When you spray tea tree oil on a moldy area, keep kids and pets away from the area until you remove the mold entirely. For more information, visit the U.S. Department of Health.

  3. Vigorously shake your spray bottle to blend the concoction.

    Remember, once you've made this mixture, you can store it for later use. (Tea tree oil takes a long time to lose its potency).

  4. SPRAY YOUR TEA TREE MIX DIRECTLY ONTO THE MOLD AND LET IT SIT OVERNIGHT BECAUSE IT'S NATURAL OIL

    Tea tree oil does have a potent, pine smell, but it will dissipate within a day or two.

  5. BY THE NEXT DAY, THE MOLD SHOULD BE DEAD DIP A RAG IN VINEGAR AND SCRUB THE REMNANTS AWAY UNTIL THE AREA IS SQUEAKY CLEAN

    When done, it's best to dispose of the rag immediately or wash it in scalding hot water to prevent mold spores from multiplying elsewhere.

  6. USING HYDROGEN PEROXIDE

    If you don't want to spring for tea tree oil (or don't want to deal with the smell), hydrogen peroxide is an effective, less-expensive option. Hydrogen peroxide is anti-fungal, anti-viral and anti-bacterial. It works best on hard surfaces like kitchen appliances, bathroom fixtures and tiles.

  7. Mix one teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide with one cup of water in a spray bottle.

    Shake well. If you need a larger mixture, double the amount.

  8. Saturate the moldy surface completely and then let the peroxide mix sit for about 10 minutes.

    Saturate the moldy surface completely and then let the peroxide mix sit for about 10 minutes.

  9. To remove the dead mold, dip a rag in vinegar and wipe the surface completely.

    This will also remove any residual peroxide, which isn't extremely toxic, but can cause vomiting if ingested by kids or pets

Need professional help with your project?
Get quotes from top-rated pros.