It’s not uncommon for contractors to request a portion of their fee as a deposit before they begin working on a home improvement project. This guide explains how much you should give your contractor after you sign your contract.
Get matched with top handyman services in Altoona, PA
There are 15 highly-rated local handyman services.
Recent Handyman Reviews in Altoona
- John Morgan ContractingJohn was a fantastic contractor. He was punctual, responsive and adaptive. His work was accurate and high quality. John made sure to always clean up after he was done. For our job, his bid was extremely reasonable and lower than other contractors. The best part was that he completed our projector UNDER the original quoted price. We will definitely be using John for any major construction and renovation needs and will highly recommend him to family and friends read less
- Small Town InvestmentsExcellent! We subsequently referred him to family and friends. He is not only very professional, but he is also very courteous and respectful.
- Davis contractingAdam moved a freezer from my garage to my kitchen & a desk to my garage. He was courteous & efficient and his service price was reasonable. Would highly recommend him.
- J D Construction and RemodelingJoe did an excellent job from helping us plan, making suggestions of ways to improve our ideas, keeping our costs down and overall great quality work. Communications were very open and easy - he would text me and send pictures before he did anything he had a question on - it was a comfort knowing he would ask the questions before just doing something. I would highly recommended him & plan to schedule him again in the future for our next remodeling update project. I had a dream of a gorgeous tile walk in shower and that's just what he gave me. Along with an updated kitchen with truly a statement backsplash read less
- T & J Home Renovations LLCIt went very well. The existing siding isn't available for purchase anymore, so they found a very close match and installed it quickly and beautifully. What a difference. The bill of materials and hourly rate was more than fair. Kept in good contact through the process. If I need more work done in the future, they'll be my first and only call read less
- Phoenix Fox home remodelingI am very pleased with their work. Very easy to work with and good communication. Most reasonable in pricing out of the whole area for what I needed. I truly appreciate what they did for me. It was a challenging project! I highly recommend.
- Phoenix Fox home remodelingJohn is an excellent carpenter. He did three jobs for me all at a very fair price. He ensured the site was cleaned up nicely and was very professional. I will definitely hire him again for my next project and have already recommended him to others. He is honest and reliable.
- Fahringers home services & landscaping On or about July 22nd-- I consulted Angie's List referral service to obtain miscellaneous handyman services for my Mother’s home at 1820 Alder Way, Hazle Township, PA. (I am sure that your records contain the items that were requested in the original scope of work.) We received a referral for Fahringer’s Home Services and Landscaping. I viewed the referenced company on your website. It had an “A” grade rating along with many positive reviews. This gave me comfort based on my respect for Angie’s List. (Note: I reside in Florida and put my trust in your service.) July 23rd to July 27th-- Mr. Ron Fahringer phoned me on July 23rd. Over the following days, we corresponded via email and phone re: the scope of work. We finally agreed on the scope of work and that he was to begin the project on August 10th. (Please see the email chain below.) August 10th to 11th --Regretfully, Fahringer was a no-show on the 10th. Mr. Fahringer sent me an email the next morning in which he apologized and stated that he would being the work on August 12th. August 12th to 13th--Fahringer worked on the project. On the evening of the 13th, Mr. Fahringer submitted an invoice for payment to my Mother for $1,700. My Mother being a trusting senior citizen (Note: My Mother is 89 years old and does not leave the interior of her home after sunset) gave Mr. Fahringer a check for $1,700 that evening as he requested. August 14th--When it was light, she inspected the work. One of the first things that she noticed were areas that were skipped in the staining process; the outside (storm) basement window was missing and tape had been applied to the window; the tree limb was not cut; the area around the house numbers on the door was not painted; etc. That afternoon, I emailed Mr. Fahringer. (Please see the email chain below.) August 22nd--I texted Mr. Fahringer re: the lack of response to my August 14th email. He did text me back; however, I did not see his text until the next morning. Knowing that he is busy doing other jobs, I requested the best time to phone him. September 4th--Not hearing from Mr. Fahringer, I texted him requesting a response to my August 14th email. Mr. Fahringer did respond to my text immediately and we discussed the August 14th email. I asked him to return to my Mother’s residence and address the items that needed his attention. He responded that he would be in Maryland the following week, but that he would visit my Mother on September 21st. I also asked him to send me photos of the storm window that he removed. September 6th-- Received the pictures of the window that was removed. Upon review, I inquired if another window could be fabricated or purchased as a stock item? To date, no response. September 23rd--I sent Mr. Fahringer a text to remind him that he was scheduled to visit my Mother’s residence on the 21st. To this date, September 30th-- Mr. Fahringer has not contacted either my Mother or me. In the meantime,. my Mother’s neighbor is quite concerned about pending damage to her home from the tree limb that Mr. Fahringer failed to remove. We will now have to find and hire another person to cut and remove the limb. It should be noted that Mr. Fahringer expressed his interest to me concerning an used dehumidifier in the cellar. He asked me about it and I suggested that he offer a fair price to my Mother. My Mother recalls that he carried the dehumidifier out of the cellar without any monetary offering. (She stated that she was under the impression that I previously negotiated the price with him.) Also, there appears to be two items of door hardware missing that were in the cellar prior to his visit. As stated previously, Fahringer’s Home Services and Landscaping had a “A” grade rating on the Angie’s List website and many positive reviews. That was the basis of our decision to hire Fahringers Home Services and Landscaping. Therefore, I am requesting Angie’s List assistance to resolve this situation. Thank you, Tom Hornack EMAIL CHAIN: From: Tom Hornack [mailto:email@example.com] Sent: Friday, September 4, 2020 1:32 PM To: Ron Fahringer (firstname.lastname@example.org) Good Afternoon, Ron. I trust that you had a good week. I realize that you are busy, but I have been waiting since August 14th for your response. Please respond. If I do not hear from you prior to Monday, September 7th, I will be compelled to contact Angie’s List and discuss the matter with them. Looking forward to talking with you, Tom (The above message sent both by email and text.) From: Tom Hornack [mailto:email@example.com] Sent: Friday, August 14, 2020 1:32 PM To: Ron Fahringer (firstname.lastname@example.org) Cc: Nellie's Grandpad Subject: FW: Moms house Good Afternoon, Ron. Thank you for the additional work that you did for my Mother such as installing the two smoke alarms. This afternoon, she advised me that she is pleased with most of the work. However, my Mother advised me that you apparently forgot to: paint the closet ceilings as indicated in your July 26th email below cut and remove the dead branch on tree on edge of property as requested in my July 27th email below. My Mother also advised me that she declined your suggestion to add additional new stones around the shrubs that currently have stones. As described in my July 27th email below, the existing stones were to be reworked. She advised that she requested that you rake-away the exiting stones, possibly lay fabric ground cover, and then relocated the existing stones back under the shrubs, She recalled that you verbally agreed to this procedure. Finally, my Mother is not satisfied with the trimming of the evergreens. She recalls that she asked you to remove the bottom branches up to about 6 inches and then remove any debris under the evergreens. Please advise me when you will be able to return to my Mother’s residence to address the above. Thank you, Tom God bless and stay safe! From: Tom Hornack [mailto:email@example.com] Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 3:24 PM To: 'Ron Fahringer' Subject: RE: Moms house Thank you, Ron. For the future, please note that I am more readily accessible via text messaging. Tom From: Ron Fahringer [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org] Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 11:15 AM To: Tom Hornack Subject: Re: Moms house Good morning Tom sorry got a real late start I will be there tomorrow morning around 9 o’clock Sorry again Sent from my iPhone On Jul 31, 2020, at 2:13 PM, Ron Fahringer wrote: I can do aug 10 Sent from my iPhone On Jul 31, 2020, at 12:44 PM, Ron Fahringer wrote: Good afternoon Tom do you want to do it this Coming week Sent from my iPhone On Jul 27, 2020, at 2:48 PM, Ron Fahringer wrote: It does include prepping the decks. Replace window pane. Reworking stones. Hauling off debris. If you want all the sidewalks,driveway and garage floor power washed it would be an additional $200. She did not mention tree at property line but I will take care of that. As far as paint I will use behr paint unless you prefer something else Sent from my iPhone On Jul 27, 2020, at 11:29 AM, Tom Hornack wrote: Good Morning, Ron. Thank you for the quote below. Does the scope of work also include: Prepping and staining the deck rails, posts, and steps? Replacement of the broken pane in the cellar window? Reworking the stones under the shrubs? Removing a dead branch on tree on edge of property? Hauling-off the debris? Power wash the driveway and sidewalk? Will there be a additional cost to power wash the garage floor? What brand of paint will you use? What brand of stain will you use? If the project is approved by, let say, Thursday, when will you start? How many days to compete? Please advise. Thank you, Tom -----Original Message----- From: Ron Fahringer [mailto:email@example.com] Sent: Sunday, July 26, 2020 11:36 PM To: firstname.lastname@example.org Subject: Moms house We Fahringer’s will repair gutters,paint front door rear door bilco door,power wash and stain decks, trim all shrubs,paint closet ceiling, replace missing pins in shutters. Price $1500.00 Ron Fahringe read less
- The Handiman LLCExcellent! The leak was found and repaired and the damage to my living room ceiling was completed in a very timely manner.$240
- Kuhns Contracting IncTony and his team are top notch professionals who do quality work at a reasonable price. I may have had both jobs performed for less, however I would have had to look over my shoulder constantly. With Tony’s team, I never worried.
Handymen in Altoona
- Business Description:KB Handyman can complete a variety of projects for you, from installing doors, to tiling your bathroom . " No job is too small " "On time. Done right" Call now : (717) 980 1200Recent Review:Called and scheduled an appointment, never showed up.Michele C.
- Business Description:In-Person or Live One-On-One Online Tutoring for Any Subject, Any Age, Any Location. Standardized Tests: ACT, SAT, NMSQT, GMAT, GRE, ASVAB, ASTB, ISEE, HSPT, TEAS, TOEFL, IELTS, TOEIC Mathematics: algebra, geometry, trigonometry, pre-algebra, elementary English: grammar, vocabulary, spelling, reading, writing, listening, speaking, pronunciation, ESL, ESOL Research Papers: editing, proofreading, outlining, citations Computer: Excel, Word, PowerPoin read less
- Business Description:Nu Look Home Design Makes Roofing Easy. Better Business Bureau A+ Rated. 94% Satisfaction Rate. Over 40,000 Happy Customers. Lifetime Warranty. We are a home improvement company, not a contractor. Roofing contractors come and go, a roofing company like Nu Look Home Design is here for the long haul. Our roots run deep in our local communities across Maryland, Northern Virginia, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Delaware. Our Maryland office is located in Columbia, but we also serve all the surrou.. read lessRecent Review:Preston was very knowledgeable and transparent about the process from start to finish on our roof replacement project. We wanted the best product available(Owens Corning) and the best warranty available. A company that stands behind it's installers for LIFE is incredibly rare, as is the fully transferrable warranty when we eventually move. There was about 20+ color options since Owens Corning never reduced production during Covid and it was easy to decide. Nu Look actually had a computer generated aerial view of our home and it's exact colors and dimensions. So in real time we were able to see the different roof color options with our existing siding, shutters and colors. Very impressive company and will definitely use again when we decide to change our siding read lessBrad M.
- Business Description:United Freight of America is your all inclusive transport solution. CONTACT US FOR A QUOTE. please include pick up and Drop off locations and vehicle informationRecent Review:Have been calling few other companies, the information was kind of confusing, when speaking with the gentleman from UFA, he explained the process thoroughly and with options on cost. We chose to pay more, it worth! All went well as scheduled, the driver was very careful when uploading the car onto the truck. Thank you read lessWinnie L.
- Business Description:We offer you 25+ years of experience .... Quality work at a fair price.
- Business Description:Whether you’re looking for residential renovations or commercial construction in Centre County, when you’re in need of a general contractor you want to find a company that’s able to provide you with the complete package so that they can fulfill all of your project’s requirements. We are a full service general contractor that works hard to make sure that we do a great job for you while providing you with excellent service and an affordable price. We are committed to the idea of satisfying our .. read lessRecent Review:He is very reliable and very professional, perfectionist, dependable, his work is highly recommendedThomas S.
- Business Description:We have been in the roofing industry for awhile and started to specialize in metal roofing. We offer quality work and warranties at a very reasonable price. We accept credit cards and offer financing. Give us a call today read lessRecent Review:We are extremely satisfied with the new roof This is a professional polite skilled crew. They even finished a gutter project I started and wasn’t able to finish. My thanks for a job well doneMark E.
- Business Description:Trust your move to the experts! Award-winning moving services, fully licensed and insured. Local and long-distance, home and office, storage and beyond. A+ Rated Angie's List Super Service Award Winning Movers. We are accredited with the Ohio BBB and Super Service Award winners for Angie's list 2009-2018. Family-owned & operated business, Veteran founded and owned. WE HANDLE ALL YOUR MOVING NEEDS. We also provide professional packing services and supplies, housecleaning services, storage, jun.. read lessRecent Review:Just completed a somewhat complicated move with Moving Ahead Services requiring 2 move dates and storage in between. The company was professional and helpful and the crew on both ends (Dustin and Shawn and Dustin and James) were extremely careful, thorough, professional and did so many little things to make this stressful experience as good as it could have been! Those guys are really hard workers, great work ethic and I was so happy to have my stuff taken care of by them! Would definitely recommend! Thanks Moving Ahead Services for getting me situated in my new home :- read lessVictoria S.
- Business Description:We are professional swing set (children's play set) installation and maintenance services providers. Our maintenance, repair, restoration, and safety inspection services help extend the life of your swing set and help provide peace of mind that your children's play set is functioning safely read lessRecent Review:These two guys were great to work with. They scheduled it quickly, payment was very easy by text/credit card. They were very punctual and had it installed in about 5 hours. The price was very reasonable. And it looks fantastic. Would highly recommend read lessSusanne G.
- Business Description:Payment Methods Include: Cash; Check; PayPal
Explore our Solution Center for helpful handyman service articles
Are you shopping for a shower door that fits best in your bathroom? Before you get your heart set on a high-end frameless bathroom door, you need to know a few details. Read on to learn about the differences in cost, function, and appearance.
Fall is a perfect time to take care of all of your home’s routine home maintenance needs, including small tasks that could become big issues. This detailed checklist will break down exactly what you should be doing as the temperatures begin to drop.
Find handyman services in
- Roaring Spring
- East Freedom
handyman services in Altoona
Companies below are listed in alphabetical order.
To view top rated service providers along with reviews & ratings, Join Angi now!
- A.J. Eckley, General Contractor Inc.101 Orchard Ave
- Aaronson Repairs & Improvements LLC110 Arandale St
- All Around The House1019 Patrick Ln
- AMERICAN PRIDE PAINTING848 26th St
- Aortega General ContractingP.O. Box 192
Mahanoy City, Pennsylvania
- Ashbaugh Construction and Roofing, LLC.38 Rome Street
- Auto Transport - United Freight Of America1844 N Nob Hill Rd #171
- A.J. Eckley, General Contractor Inc.
- B & E Roofing & Remodeling LLC174A E Main St
- B&B Services212 President Village Rd
- BadDad construction1421 2nd ave
- Blair Home Renovations6167 Oak Ave
- Brad & Ted's Window Cleaning and Pressure Washing1923 14th Ave
- BRAD GORDON WATERPROOFING AND GENERAL CONTRACTOR1814 BLACK OAK ROAD
- Brothers Home RepairPO BOX 204
- B & E Roofing & Remodeling LLC
- C&C Property Maint983 Miller Rd
- Casa Upkeep Handyman Services PO Box 421007
- Chimney Rocks Home Improvements LLC610 Chimney Rocks Rd
- Chimney Safety RxPerts3147 SR 890
- Classic Copper Works9443 Cossey Road
- Clint Eakin Construction624 W. Front St Apt A
Oil City, Pennsylvania
- CS Home Improvement
- C&C Property Maint
- D C MOYER BUILDERS, INC.508 N 8th Ave
- D&R Quality Builders IncPO Box 935
- Dively's Cabinetry/Construction1341 north 7th avenue
- Dorian Visionheart Dyer3560 South Brandon Street
- Drake Contracting141 fink ave
- Du-All Home Improvements, Inc.660 Perkins Pond Road
Beach Lake, Pennsylvania
- D C MOYER BUILDERS, INC.
- Integrity Division LLC.5464 S Main St
- Integrity Division LLC.
- J D Construction and Remodeling309 Martz Rd
East Freedom, Pennsylvania
- J&S Construction915 west jackson st
- J-Brown Services283 Doney Town Rd
- JD Handyman Services
- JOSEPH J LEO GENERAL CNTRCTING400 E LOGAN AVE
- JP Home Improvements1004 23rd Ave
- J D Construction and Remodeling
- LATTIERI'S PAINTING2503 W CHESTNUT AVE
- Lay It Down Tile & Home Improvement510 Rte 579
Ringoes, New Jersey
- Level Construction Services1136 Level Rd
- LJH Construction3015 Bigler Ave
Northern Cambria, Pennsylvania
- Loebrich Contracting Inc1830 Frankstown Rd
- Lowry's Restoration Services2024 2nd street
- LR Roofing Systems, LLC1115 Salemville Rd
New Enterprise, Pennsylvania
- Lucas Remodeling & Construction, LLC1072 Beaver Run Ave
- LATTIERI'S PAINTING
- Malinich General Maintenance Repair75 Short St
- Marilyn's Home Improvements607 N 8th Ave
- Marshall Roofing LLC334 Sportsman Rd
- Mason's Mark Stone Veneer106 Sewickly St
NEW STANTON, Pennsylvania
- Matthew Horwich LLC14 Bristol Lane
Rocky River, Ohio
- Matthew Rose Tree Climber1538 Mary Dr
- McKee Flooring, LLC403 South Second St.
- Mikes Handyman Service1009 Cambria Ave
- Moving Ahead Services LLC4708 TOPPS INDUSTRIAL PKWY
- Malinich General Maintenance Repair
- R & S Home Improvements7250 State Route 374
Union Dale, Pennsylvania
- R/J Repairs320 Fairview Dr
- Raker Builders CoPost Office Box 137
- Rankin Renovations67 Goodwill Hill Rd
Grand Valley, Pennsylvania
- RE Faller Co1600 old state rd
- Ready-Go Repairman LLCPO Box 453
- Remodelers Workshop105 Stonecrest Dr
- Rick's Painting/Handyman320 Broad Ave
- Ron Benton Construction1239 Old Route 22
- R & S Home Improvements
- S & C Remodeling8260 Old Route 22
- s&b construction & remodeling partnership517 22nd avenue
- Scott's Painting and Handyman Services, LLC411 S Dartmouth Ln
- SFX Installation520 Fellowship Road
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
- Surface Link4200 Lafayette Center Drive Suite R
- Swingset Service LLC132 Eastmont Ln
Sicklerville, New Jersey
- S & C Remodeling