Hastings Water Works

Founded 1992 • With Angi since July 2007

4.2

10331 Brecksville Rd

Brecksville, OH 44141

Hastings Water Works specializes in seasonal pool openings, closings, repairs and weekly cleanings - as well as all equipment installation, repair and maintenance for spas and water features, including indoor and outdoor fountains and reflecting pools. Additional email- dave@hastingswaterworks.com. Additional DBA - Hastings Water Works....

10/26/2015

Kimberly S.

Closing a pool isn't difficult, but it just takes a couple/few hours. Hastings completed the work on a Friday, which they first scheduled (a couple weeks in advance, no less) to be completed on a Wednesday. I will give their office/phone "person" an "A". He was tenacious in making sure I knew they'd be a day late, calling me a half dozen times until he confirmed I knew of their tardiness. And, I'm assuming he receives dozens of complaints a day, and because he cannot affect what happens in the field, he's doing the best he can with the tool he has (the phone). As best I can tell, they charged between $140 and $200 per man hour. My excellent plumber charges $76/hour, is pleasant, courteous, communicative and skilled. My painter charges about $30/hour to perform skilled, conscientious and sometimes precision work. However, Hastings charges 3 digits per hour whether they're digging a hole by hand, turning a valve nozzle, or just ignoring you, and in this visit they failed to communicate on site whatsoever, which is fine if they're getting the work done, but not in this case. I've had it with Hastings. The appointment was scheduled for Wednesday. On Tuesday they called to say they couldn't make it. OK, all's well so far. They arrived on Thursday and did half the work, leaving items scattered about our pool area and our pool cover 70% covering the pool. They didn't say they were leaving, they left no communication, and they set no expectation for return. I called their offices, and the person on the phone disregarded my concerns and complaint, saying they'd arrive to finish the next day. When they returned on Friday, it took them roughly 15 minutes to complete the work. We know this only because we saw the work when it was incomplete, and another outside visit witnessed the work completed -- like fairies or elves sneaking in and completing a task without notice. (Again, that's fine if you're providing nutrition to my lawn. But if you're doing half the work and then disappearing, let us know.) Surprise and disappointment are the results of expectations and communication, or lack thereof. In 2015, Hastings chose to disappoint at almost every level.

Description of Work
They closed our pool. They charged $420.00 to do this. An unjustified charge in any geography. These people overcharge for everything,

09/09/2015

Scott F.

Hastings is a solid company and I have used them in the past for pool closings. They have increased their price for pool closings by $150 in just the last 5 years, so I stopped using them. We had a leak in the pool when using the filter so called Hastings out to take a look. They were responsive, scheduled a visit in two days from my initial call. I had inquired on a quote in advance and they specifically said they would provide a quote before any work was done. They showed up on-time and immediately saw what was wrong and fixed the problem in less than 30 minutes. I did not ask again for a quote before he started the work because the work seemed like no big deal, put in a new PVC pipe and a Ball Valve. Got the bill in the mail and it was $239.90, charged $165.00 for just the visit. I'm sorry, but that to me is outrageous for 30 minutes. I called and talked to Hastings and they said that is the fee basically for any work 1 hour or less and the smallest that they would be anyone. Yikes! I told him that they should have communicated to me in advance that it would be $165.00 for any work done on the pool. The sales guy didn't seem to care at all and said that the bill would not be adjusted. On top of the fact that they charged $36.00 for 1.5" PVC Ball Valve which cost less than $10.00 at Home Depot $28.00 for a new pressure gauge which I can buy retail for $6.00. I am okay with mark-ups and making sure a company is payed fairly for its service...but I feel ripped off and they didn't care. So thumbs up for the service, just know that is not going to be cheap!

Description of Work
Fixed pool pump leak

05/29/2015

Jeff K.

I am writing this review to warn current and potential customers about Hastings' business practices. After the technician opened the pool this year, he told me that I needed a new chlorinator and the multiport valve on the top of the filter needed replaced. I told him that I was surprised that the chlorinator needed replaced since I just bought a new chlorinator at the beginning of last season, and the original chlorinator lasted 9 years. The new chlorinator was working fine at the end of last season when Hastings closed the pool. The technician said he didn't know what to tell me, but he would get me an estimate for the new chlorinator and valve. This conversation occurred on 5/19/15. The technician came out again a couple of days later to vaccuum the pool and balance the chemicals, and I told him that, after further thought, I believe that Hastings should be responsible for the chlorinator. He said that he agreed that the chlorinator was broken due to improper closing and that Hastings would cover the cost of reoplacement. I asked how much the new valve would cost, and he said that he didn't know; it was up to the home office to provide me the quote. As of 5/28/2015, we still did not have a chlorinator and had not received a quote for the valve. We called the office and they emailed us a quote for the new valve; they also promised to install the chlorinator that day. The estimate for the valve replacement was $634! I could not believe my eyes. They wanted $190 for the multiport valve and $180 for a 1.5 inch ball valve for the backwash line (where one did not already exist) and over $200 for labor! I ordered the Hayward multiport valve on Amazon.com for $73 including 2-day shipping! Anybody can buy a 1.5 inch ball valve at Home Depot or Lowe's for about $15! I am not a professional plumber, but I do have some plumbing experience. I can install these parts myself in less than an hour. When I got home around 5 PM, the work had not been completed. I contacted the office to tell them that their estimate was ridiculous, so much so, that I was offended. I also told them that the chlorinator had not been replaced, and they assured me that the technician was on his way. He arrived and installed the new chlorinator. All companies deserve to make a fair profit for honest work, but this company is taking advantage of its customers. Buyer beware!!

Description of Work
We have used Hastings for the last couple of years to open and close our in-ground swimming pool.

05/19/2015

James P.

I called this company a few months ago to schedule a pool opening in time for a party on Memorial Day. I explained to the person that I had bought the house in foreclosure and that the pool was likely a mess. They recommended that I schedule the opening for two weeks before Memorial Day. They said that someone would call me the week before to schedule the actual day of the opening. I had not heard from anyone by the week that my pool was supposed to be opened, so I called that Monday. The service person said that I was on the schedule for that week but they didn't yet know which day it would be and they would call me the day before. I called again Wednesday and they said they would be there Thursday or Friday. I called on Thursday and they said it would be Friday. I called on Friday and they said it would be Monday. The team arrived at 7 pm on Monday night, and took the cover off the pool and found that there was a tear in the cover and the pool was full of leaves and dirt. I could tell that the technicians were at the end of a long day and didn't really want to deal with my pool. They said that they couldn't take the cover off with the tear, and they don't repair torn covers. One guy scooped leaves out for about a half hour, then then set up a pump to drain my pool and said there's no way it would be done for Memorial Day. I called the owner immediately and left a message, but haven't received a return phone call. I called the service manager first thing Tuesday morning and he said that my pool needs too much work for them to have it done by this weekend. I reminded him that I was scheduled to have my pool opened LAST WEEK and he said there's just too much work for them to get it done this week. He asked me how much I had been quoted for the cost of the opening, and I told him that when I called a few months ago, I didn't even ask for a price because I knew the pool was a mess and I just wanted it taken care of, regardless of the price. He said he would talk to his people and call me back with an estimate. He called back to say that I have to get the cover taken off before they can do anything and he can't get it done this week. DO NOT COUNT ON THIS COMPANY TO ARRIVE WHEN THEY SAY THEY WILL, EVEN IF YOU SCHEDULE MONTHS IN ADVANCE.

Description of Work
Pool opening

05/06/2015

Feige S.

Went well. The plumber had to do the repair on the pipe. Hastings was able to check out the pool.

Description of Work
Checked out my pool due to broken pipe. They did not fix the pipe but were able to isolate the damage.

08/04/2014

Hugh C.

The technician's name was Lanny and I thought he was very good. He knows his pools! He also improvised as needed to work on our older in-ground pool. He detected a leak and instead of having to dig up a pipe that was underneath concrete, Lanny disconnected it and put in an aboveground pipe. It's not pretty, but it's mostly hidden behind a fence and it does work. After he left, we detected two other leaks. We repaired one of them and called this provider to see if they could repair the other without digging up half of the pool and some concrete. It looks like we will live without this repair for a while. I appreciated that Greg (owner? manager?) called back and discussed the repair and his thoughts on it with me. I also thought the person I spoke with on the phone (Lanita?) was very pleasant and funny. I would ask them to come back and I might ask them to close the pool for winter for us. I was pleased with the service and the level of expertise.

Description of Work
The provider detected a leak in a pipe and repaired it. He also gave advice regarding other issues, like a crack in the concrete, and what to do if there were leaks from other pipes.

Category pool cleaners

[Member name removed], We are thrilled that you took the time to acknowledge a job well done. We have shared your message with our team and will use it as an example to follow. We will be sure to have Lanita give you a call about closing your pool. Enjoy the remaining season—poolside! Thank you, Team Hastings

06/16/2014

Ruth E H.

Called on 6/11/14 to ask about opening my pool for the season and possibly converting to a salt-water system. I was informed that they are not accepting new clients or service jobs for above-ground pools (not sure why that would be limited to above-ground systems, but whatever). When I mentioned interest in switching my pool system over, they advised me on my options, as well as referred my to other businesses that might be able to help. While no services were quoted or performed, I was very impressed with the helpfulness and professionalism displayed by Juanita, the lady I spoke with. I'd be interested in doing business with them in the future, but not until their work load decreases, apparently.

Description of Work
Informed me that they were not accepting new jobs for above-ground pools

03/18/2014

Joyce D.

It was expensive and it was all on their terms. I didn't really see customer service.

Description of Work
They cleaned my pool weekly last summer.

07/09/2013

Carter H.

He fixed it quickly and efficiently. It was excellent service and he was very courteous. I called Saturday and he was there in a few minutes because he had been working in the area. After fixing it, he gave me some free advice and was on his way.

Description of Work
We had a leak from the filter to the heater, so they came to fix that. I have not gotten the bill yet so I do not know the price.

06/07/2013

Gregg B.

I had tried to contact the company that installed the pool for the prior owners with no luck getting them to return our calls. After researching pool maintenance companies on Angie's list, I found Hasting with great reviews. I will say there were very professional, they came out cleaned the filter, pumped the water that was behind the liner back into the pool and a number of other things that were needed to get the pool back in proper working order. They were on time and took the time to answer all our questions as we are new to owning a pool. We have since set them up to do bi-weekly maintenance and I would highly recommend them for your pool service needs.

Description of Work
Our pool filter wasn't functioning correctly and we had a lot of water behind the liner.

05/28/2013

Matt W.

Hastings was very thorough in their cleaning and servicing. In addition, the technican was especially patient in explaining the process, steps for cleaning and flusing the system, and helping me to determine when and how to add chemicals.

Description of Work
Vacuumed pool, cleaned all filters, tested chemical balance, added chemicals.

04/26/2013

Mary L.

Hastings Water Works are good. Right now, we have a leak and they're in the process of working on that. They are extremely reliable and extremely good. I just can't say enough about their particular service. We've used them a bunch of times over the last two or three years and they've always been good. When they say they're going to be here, they're here. If you have any particular problem, they come right out. I don't have to wait days for them to come out. They've always been able to repair whatever the problem was, if it's a pool pump or anything else, so they're very knowledgeable in what they're doing.

Description of Work
They check our pool and clean it twice a month.

07/27/2012

J W.

They opened the pool for me in May and came back out in June to fix my heater. They always call me ahead so that I know that they are coming and are always sharp on time. Their guys are really nice and a lot of times they do extra things that they don’t have to or I have asked them not to do. They are really good about following up if there is a problem with the pool or equipment. They always give me a quote if I asked them about how much it would cost o fix something and they tell also me why they need to fix it. Their pricing is competitive and comparatively little higher than the earlier company that I had used but their quality of work is much better and I don’t mind paying them extra as they do extra work as well.

Description of Work
I have been Hastings Water Works for the last three years for my pool maintenance.

07/02/2012

Sean P.

I don't have to be here when they are here. I like working with them. I do think that their prices are a little expensive, but I have not compared them to anyone.

Description of Work
I used Hastings Water Works for a spa cleaning, opening, and chemical balancing.

06/21/2012

Kimberly S.

I called 3 different pool companies to come help us with our pool. We couldn't prime our pump at all. One company said they couldn't fix it. Another company's rep "tried" to solve the problem, but an hour later he left our property saying that he couldn't fix it and we must have a big leak in our pool lines (which wasn't true, because we just replaced our pool lines earlier that week, and we had no discernable leaks from our skimmer lines). Hastings sent Kevin! Kevin took the time to trouble shoot everything he could; he pressurized the lines attempting to isolate the problem. He looked at every entry and exit point to our pump, our chlorinator, our skimmers, and our filter. After taking over an hour to do that, he focused on the lines near our pump where 3 lines joined that were drawing in water. He first fixed the line from our pump to our filter, which had no PVC unions on it. Then he replaced our 3-to-1 valve fitting and our line opening/closing valves. He sealed everything properly. For the first time in 2 years (since we bought the property), we could actually prime our pool pump in seconds. Kevin's solutions gave 1-2 hours each day back to my wife and to our sanity. We wanted to find a pool company who actually cared about us, and Hastings has been it.

Description of Work
Hastings fixed a pool pump priming problem that has frustrated us, and has stolen hours of our time, for the last 2 years! They solved a problem that other pool companies wouldn't bother with.

10/27/2011

Thad P.

Received a notice in the mail they would give a discount to close a pool. That was last year, they did a great job Idecided to use them again this year.

Description of Work
Hastings has closed my pool for 2 years now. They have done a great job and I have referred them to a neighbor.

09/30/2010

James H.

Hastings did a wonderful job of keeping in touch with the Association Board about repairs, concerns and daily running of our community pool. Communication using emails & phone calls helped ease resident questions about pool procedures and rules. The lifeguards did an exceptional job and were very professional.

Description of Work
Hastings Water Works was hired by our community pool association to run our pool for the 2010 season.

09/17/2010

Darrel Z.

The only complaint I have is the price. I looked into other pool companies after using Hastings for a couple of years and found out I was paying almost double for services.

Description of Work
closing our pool and spa

Category pool cleaners

Hastings Water Works does not claim to be the cheapest price wise. Our prices are based on our cost for materials, and our quality of labor. Our openings procedures take the pool or spa from opening conditions to 100%. Including in are opening price are two return visits to property (if needed) that will guarantee a chemically balanced, clean, swimmable pool.

08/25/2010

DIANA & ALAN L.

I have had trouble with other pool companies and it is nice to use such a skilled company. They are punctual, the great staff, and are knowledgeable about the equipment. They are somewhat new to the area, but they have worked in northern Ohio for a number of years. We plan to continue using them for pool opening, closing and repairs. We have use them for weekly cleaning.

Description of Work
We them for servicing our pool and repair.

08/05/2010

Dawn C.

These guys are good. They do what they say they are going to do in a very professional manner. They really got the job done and restored my faith in the pool maintenance industry!

Description of Work
Pool leak detected and repaired. Needed concrete dug up and then replaced after the leak was fixed and they did a great job. Got it done right the first time. Price was very close to the estimate that they gave...even though there was a lot of guess work from the beginning till they found the leak. Had 2 other pool companies screw this up before Hastings took over and did a great job.

01/04/2010

Randall W.

They were very punctual and timely. They did what they said they would do and were very easy to work with. The quality of their work was very good.

Description of Work
The first time they did a pool liner replacement and they closed the pool at the close of the season.

10/12/2009

THOMAS M.

They were polite and did everything they were supposed however this is the first time I have used them so we will see how they performed in the future.

Description of Work
I have only used them once and that was to put the pool to bed for the winter. The does ot reflect chemical.

10/02/2009

Rob G.

I called them around 2pm and they had someone out by 4pm that day! Now that's service. Everything went very smoothly and they always checked with us first if anything unexpected came up that would cost us more money.

Description of Work
We bought a home with a poorly maintained pool. They came out and gave it a thourough looking over and told us what we needed to do to get it open and running. They provided us with a lot of explanation and many options of what to do, but I never felt overwhelmed. We hired them to open the pool and replace the cover and any necessary parts. They came out on time and were very polite and efficient. All excellent workers with good attitudes.

05/10/2009

JOE G.

Called the company to get a quote on opening the pool for the season. The General Manager came out to my house on a Saturday and spent the time going through all my questions and we setup a time for his company to come out the following weekend. The guys they sent out were very professional, knowledgable and his a greta job opening up the pool and answering all my questions before they left. These guys have very good customer service and I wish I had called them sooner to have them open and close my pool. If you have a pool need these guys will take care of you!

Description of Work
Used company to open in ground fiberglass pool for the season. Cleaned cover, cleaned pool, replace return jets, cleaned debris and got all equipment up and running.

11/01/2008

Wade G.

It went very well. Hastings was on time and provided advice to the concrete company regarding the grounding of electrical, covering of the existing pool walls, etc. They also were on time and performed all services per the agreement. They showed up on time and asked questions/provided helpful suggestions that we felt made the project turn out better than we originally expected. They cleaned up the site very well after the project was complete.

Description of Work
Rewire all electrical for our pool and yard. Install new pool light. Remove existing pump/filter from house and move to shed. Redo entire plumbing for pool (new returns, new skimmers). Install timer for pump in shed. Remove all old plumbing from house and remove gas heater for the pool. Installed hydrostatic drain at bottom of our pool. They initially searched for what we thought was a leak but it turned out our pool had several. This entailed tearing up some existing concrete and digging down to find the plumbing within various locations around our pool deck.

Category electrician, pool cleaners

CNE Electrical Contractors

Check our reviews on Home Advisor and Google Electrical Contractors for all Residential, Commercial, Industrial and High Voltage needs. We are locally owned and operated with over 20 years experience. We provide unmatched customer service. We take pride in our professionalism and cleanliness on our job sites. Call us today for your free estimate! We look forward to doing business with you!

K M Electric

Give us a call today for your Electrical needs!

ADVANCED TECHNOLOGIES LLC

Advanced Tech and Electrical LLC is a locally owned and family operated Electrical, Technology Contractor serving North Eastern Ohio for the last 20 years. Offering many great services at a fair price to Commercial and Residential Customers. We strive our business on taking care of our employees and in return our employees take care of our customers, which creates customers for life. Our goal is to make every customer feel good about their decisions when hiring us. It can take years to gain a customer and only minutes to lose one. Whether its Electrical, Lighting Control, Solar Energy, Audio Visual, Security, or Communications. Our team of engineers and estimators are trained to guide the customer to the very best solution for their home or business. We take pride in making your experience of hiring us a good one, and our particularly proud of our attention to detail. From the design, product selection, installation, and scheduling. Our team of licensed electricians and technicians have on average over 20 years of experience. Our staff listens carefully to your questions and concerns and applies our expertise earned through hours of ongoing training and education, latest code requirements, technology, products, and techniques to meet every expectation for a beautiful, affordable, and flawless installation or renovation.

Check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover

Swimming pool and hot tub, cleaning, maintenance, repairs and consultation, pool equipment, repair and installation, lifeguard staffing, facility management and consultation for municipal and commercial facilities, water features, fountains & waterscapes.

New construction & installation of pool structures.