Custom Builders

Founded 1997 • With Angi since April 2012

5190 Bayview Rd

Hamburg, NY 14075

Please call for a quote on your project! Custom Builders is independently and locally owned and operated. Derek has over 20 years of experience in the industry and performs all types of exterior construction and projects. See our Better Business Bureau profile below!...

07/10/2017

Christine H.

I contacted Custom Builders by email, and it took a while to get a response. But once contact was established, Derek was quick to come out and review the work and provide a quote. His quote was - by far - the lowest of the four I received, though to be complete transparent, I offered to him a very large pile of landscape-worthy stones I had removed from various areas of my yard in a renovation project. (It was a relief for me to get rid of it, so we both benefited.) I was given a work date a good month out, though had hoped for something sooner. He texted me shortly thereafter that he could start the job immediately, owing to an unforeseen delay in another project on which he was working. He set to work removing portions of the porch (corners) and the step and portions of the sidewalk pad. He carefully propped up the second story overhang, removing the two two-story posts which were inset in the original construction process in the concrete. (The bottoms of each had rotted out.) We had discussed a modification of the original footprint to include curved steps and sidewalk bump-out, and he laid forms in accordance with that. Over the course of three days or so, he and his crew (2 guys) prepped the site for concrete, had the concrete delivered, worked hard to form the concrete and smooth (then broom) the top, then tooled the edges for a smooth line. He patched the concrete for a uniform finish on all sides. He was concerned about the colors, and waited until it all dried well to decide whether a top stain would be needed. He inset metal mounting brackets to received the two new pressure-treated lumber posts, and installed the posts, carefully removing the supports. He did decide a stain was needed, and purchased and stained the new concrete for a stunning finish. I was very happy with Derek's work, his work ethic, his diligence, and the speed with which the project happened. With an exterior paint job in the wings, timing was serendipitous. That his price (and ingenious solution others hadn't offered which likely kept costs at a minimum) was the lowest should not concern readers. And he's a really nice guy, to boot. I would hire him again in an instant.

Description of Work
Repair/replacement of broken concrete porch, steps and wooden posts

Category contractors, concrete repair, decks, garage builders

10/14/2014

Carla R.

My wife and I hired Derek from Custom Builders in Hamburg to build a 24 by 15 deck and attached 10 by 10 gazebo. To say Derek is a master craftsman would be an understatement! I cannot find one thing to complain about or that we are disappointed about. Some people might complain that seven weeks for this project was too long, but not if you know and understand the quality of work that went into this job. Everyone including the contractor we hired to do the concrete patio loves his work. Our concrete guy even tried to hire him to frame a house for him this year after seeing his work. Derek is very patient and very particular. He made adjustments and changes along the way that he felt would be better and give a better overall appearance. All along he kept us informed and stayed right within budget. He listened to our long list of changes as well and rolled along with us helping us to craft a beautiful deck and gazebo design. The construction is top notched. No one we called for estimates, built to the sturdy specs Derek quoted. All posts are 6 by 6, everyone else was doing 4 by 4. The ledger board was 2 by 12; one contractor told me he did not even use a ledger board. Most guys were using a 2 by 10 ledger. Even our town inspector said this guy builds a strong quality deck. Derek himself was on the job each and every day. Occasionally he had someone there to help him, but he was always on the job. No sub-contracting here. All lumber was visually inspected and lumber that did not meet his strict standard was set aside and picked up by the lumber yard the next day. He cleaned the work site at the end of every night, and completely packed up and was out of the way for weekends. He worked with our concrete patio guy placing crush stone underneath the new deck stairs for the concrete guy. This should not have been part of his job. When the final construction was finished the overall price was probably a little higher than the next quoted estimate, but the quoted framing was of lesser value as well. I do agree that the other contractors were building to code, but Derek built to the customer! I cannot be more pleased with the complete job, Quality, finish, and price! Thank you Derek from both my wife and I and we will surely be calling you for other projects.

Description of Work
We had a 24 by 15 deck built with two staircases and an attached 10 by 10 screened in gazebo.

Category garage builders

02/24/2013

Michael Z.

After a botched job by JAMES Construction, (owner and scam artist James Woolston), Dereck was called into salvage and remedy a really bad situation. He did an outstanding job turning a horrible job, into a beautiful sturdy cathedral like structure. He worked through the most horrific weather imaginable. Blizzards, downpours and 60 mph winds! Within four weeks he was done framing in a 1000 square foot addition. I would definitely recommend him for any rough framing needs!

Description of Work
Put in rough framing for an addition.

Category contractors, decks, remodeling, garage builders, home builders

12/04/2012

Jason O.

Derek worked with me on site, gave plenty of samples and options for what materials to use. No complaints about the quality or work or the cleanup, everyone did a good job especially considering the rainy/windy weather that happened throughout the entire length of construction. The only issue is that the job ended up costing about $1000 more than originally quoted (excluding the extra drainage that I elected to have installed). This was due to an increase in cost with the concrete footers so it was outside Derek's control.

Description of Work
Derek coordinated the construction of a 20'x24' detached garage. The work included fill/leveling work, concrete footers, additional drainage, a concrete floor pad and a wood constructed garage (with siding and shingles).

Category concrete repair, decks, roofing, siding, garage builders, drain pipe

04/22/2012

Gayl W.

This company was recomended by a friend and I was thrilled by his work. Their quote remained constant in spite of the work taking longer than expected. They cleaned up after themselves. The new roof has given my garage another 100 years.

Description of Work
My 100 year plus garage needed a new roof, it was a complete tare off. The job took longer than planned because it was in worse shape than expected.

Category decks, roofing, garage builders, home builders

Locktight Waterproofing Corp

Hands On Owners With 25+ Years of Experience, Polite Staff And Crew. Affordable Pricing. Ask About 10% Angie's List Discount. Do It Right With Locktight!

R E Peters Landscaping & Drainage

Established in 1980, owner is present on every job. All water & drainage problems corrected inside and outside of the home or business. Owner is a Master Sewer Licensed Contractor. Also provides complete landscaping services with professional landscape designer on staff. Fully licensed and insured. Additional services: firewood & snow removal, backhoe & bulldozer services, tree removal, topsoil and mulch, patios & retaining walls

Babbs Patch and seal

Residential and Commercial sealcoating and patching we edge, blow off debris crackfill if needed seal stripe and patch if needed this is my first year in business for my self but i have over 15 years experience and all my guys are experienced our goal is customer satisfaction

New home construction, remodeling, garages, decks, siding, windows, doors, room additions, carpentry, concrete pouring and repair, drain pipe work & roofing.