2 Penn Painting & Roofing

Founded 2000 • With Angi since June 2011

3.8

81 Stard Rd

Seabrook, NH 03874

At 2 Penn, we strive to provide all of our clients with the very best home improvement services at a price they can afford! All of estimates are free of charge and our client satisfaction is our number one priority!...

10/16/2017

Joseph F.

I scheduled work to be done in September and they kept putting me off. Finally came on November 1st. They sub contracted the job out. I had a lot of special requests that 2 Penn agreed to do since my roof is unique. The people doing the work had no idea of special circumstances and just gave me a basic roof job. The roof leaked after snow in 2 different spots. I was very aware of ice dams and did the roof raking and kept gutters clear. I also had extensive insulation work done before roof was done. I called Dan from 2 Penn and he said that if we get two 12 inch snow storms in one week that I should expect some leaks and there was nothing he could do. I pushed and he had his best foreman come to the house the next day. His foreman checked the roof and agreed with me that it shouldn't have leaked. (He disargeed with his boss and said something was done wrong). He said he needed to come back when it warmer to do some tests. I checked the snow totals for the week and we got 11 inches one storm and 9 inches the next. I spoke to 2 other roofers and the building inspector in my town and they said it is not normal for my roof to leak after these storms. I contacted Dan and the foreman several times and they kept telling me they would come and then they started ignoring my calls, texts, and emails.. It has been a year and they are not standing behind their work. I am very disappointed. I wish I chose someone else. Just waiting for this winter to see if we get more leaks. Stay away from them.

Description of Work
I hired 2 Penn to replace my roof after we had multiple leaks from ice dams in the winter of 2015. Work was done November of 2016.

12/07/2016

Mark D.

took multiple calls for trim work and estimate. no firm schedule as to when work would be done. finally promised work could be done by 12/31/16 painting side seemed professional, but could not do work until following year. good explanation of work to be done and type of materials. total inline with other estimates

Description of Work
replace trim, window sills. also estimate for painting complete house including scraping sanding, etc.

08/09/2016

Kl S.

Run. This is NOT a “Do It Right The First Time” company. Contracted with the company for lead paint removal, repaint and reroofing. I have 40+ years property mgmt. experience and repairs including repainting and reroofing but not licensed for lead paint removal in Ma. I was pleased with the efforts and professional acting work crews even regardless of their management. It was very apparent that their knowledge far outshone that of management. 1st the paint job..The lead paint removal and repaint contract was for 2 coats with a 4 year warranty. The paint supplier was chosen by 2Penn. The work was mostly scraping to remove old paint, very little sanding. Spray versus brush. A little over 3 ½ years after the original work, numerous areas were peeling or showing the original color. It took mgmt. weeks to get someone out to look at the issue, even with “you are on the priority list” comments. The side of the house with the most amount of sun exposure was the least affected side. The resanding and repainting of the affected areas was performed leaving a house that looks as if it has measles.. After finally getting a return call from mgmt. regarding this, was informed that they took a paint chip to the supplier (that 2Penn chose) for match and it is basically the suppliers fault for the incorrect color. 2Penn will not take responsibility for correcting the color mismatch or painting that side without additional cost to me in spite of their “warranty”. They also indicated that it was my responsibility to ask them if they thought the original paint job would peel… I was told that they would have said yes but they were kind enough to give us a warranty anyway. Mgmt never came out to see the extent of remedial work or completion. Undertood that the slow response to my warranty work was to due to the high volume of remedial work. Mgmt stated they had over 200 man hours into the original job and implied I should be grateful. Mgmt does not understand that it is not the customers’ responsibility to estimate their costs and their manhours correctly. (a professional and knowledgeable person would be able to estimate correctly for each job their company performs and if it is underestimated, absorbs that cost and applies that knowledge towards future and more accurate estimates) Nor is it the customers responsibility to pay for remedial work that they have warranted as they suggested I could do. If they had estimated correctly, performed the original work correctly they would not be out for warranty work. I should not have to educate them on this. Btw.. the barn which had one coat was better than their 2 coat job on the house because the prep work was within their capabilities. 2nd. The roof. Within a few months of original paint job, same mgmt. returned for roof work. I found out later that Mgmt never entered the attic to view the underside of roof, sheathing, rafters etc. (again lack of knowledge, dust?) As in most old farmhouses, I knew from having previously entering the attic myself that the sheathing was plank not plywood. Their contract included an estimate for ((RE – sheathing .. work to remove and work to replace)).This job also included a warranty After they had removed the old shingles and tar paper exposing the roof to weather, they informed me that they would not warranty the roof job over the existing planks. Only if it was sheathed in plywood. I agreed to add the plywood sheathing as the planks were good, just had gaps here and there. When I requested a discount for the fact that they did not have to remove old sheathing, ½ of the estimated work, they refused. Given that my roof was now exposed to the elements, I had no choice but to pay for work not performed. My gut had raised flags over the painting. This was confirmed over the roof. I did not comment publicly until now as I was waiting to see how their paint job held up, if they would honor their warranty.. I can not in good conscience recommend ANY of their work if it involves prep to potential customers. Think used car salesman.

Description of Work
Painting and Roofing

10/07/2015

Peter C.

Initially it went well. I appreciated the professionalism of the sales approach. I had several other estimates and the price seemed fair slightly above average considering the other estimates. We needed a roof due to installation failure of the original roof in 1992. Shingles on the west and southwest sides of the house were sliding through hot staples and off of the roof. The shingles had not been stapled correctly. We additionally had three unrelated leaks. 2Penn represented to me they would fix these leaks when replacing the roof. Once the job started they were onsite before 8AM and left by 4PM. The job took 6 days in October of 2014. They worked Saturday with no additional expense passed on to me. The team onsite generally conducted themselves professionally. No load music, foul language or antics at any time. That said, it took some doing to get there. There were several issues along the way which continue to disturb me. Whereas the shingles look fine to me, the drip edge is embarrassing. The are vented/Hicks edge. The inside and outside corners are sloppy at best. The end-end joints do no overlap evenly and they are pulled somewhat flush to the fascia board so there is no drip edge for future gutter installation. The chimney continued to leak and required several calls/texts to get resolved. The garage roof wraps around the chimney approximately three feet below the main house roof. It turns out the leak was a combination of incorrect original flashing on the main roof AND the chimney not being vertically sealed properly to the siding of the main house above the garage roof. Approximately half of the screens on the second floor of the house were torn or scarred during the shingle removal process. The tarps used were old, ripped and provided marginal protection. I had to replace one kitchen casement window due to scratches in the exterior UV glazing. Unfortunately the screens were interior mounted. I spent hours, if not days, pulling nails shingle debris from grass, plants and shrubs around the house. My final and largest disappointment, once they got paid they were gone. With everyone else we had horrible ice dams last winter. The roof leaked horribly and cost me $10000 in paint and other repairs. I texted/called 2PENN. They acknowledged the problem and attributed it to ice and not their problem. In fairness to 2PENN, once the chimney was sealed properly, I've had no apparent leaks in the roof due to rain that I am aware. I had high expectations. I thought I did my homework. I was disappointed and would not recommend the above any other average roofer. All you get is a roof. If that is all you need then save yourself 30% and get a volume roofer.

Description of Work
Stripped and replaced 4500 square foot roof with several dormers.

Category contractors, gutter repair, remodeling, roofing, siding, replacement windows, garage builders, roof snow removal, home remodeling, house painters, interior painters

10/27/2014

David P.

We are still paying to repair the bad work that they did, to say nothing of the equally poor painting job the previous year.

Description of Work
Replaced window trim and other clapboard trim

Category woodworking, house painters

10/07/2014

Rebecca O.

Description of Work
Exterior painting of 1912 Victorian house (3 sides only), including EPA certified procedure for lead paint. Scraping, sanding, primer and 2 final coats of finish color.

06/20/2014

Naren N.

Dan was very professional and responsive during the quoting process and during his follow-up. While I did not end up going with them, I appreciated the professionalism and would certainly consider them in the future.

Description of Work
Provided an estimate for the job.

06/06/2014

Elizabeth D.

The job was a small one and should have taken one day but due to weather conditions it became a two day job. The crew arrived and immediately started in on the job. They striped half the roof on the first day and did one sky light. When they returned on the second day they completed the job.

Description of Work
striped and re-roofed my home. This included removing and replacing 4 skylights. All new ice/water shield,drip edge, replaced boots and vents, flash chimney and ridge vents. The contractor tarp the area before removing shingles which protected the siding and decks. Magnet swept the ground and driveway. Very satisfied with crew and work.

Category decks, roofing, siding, skylights, house painters

02/01/2014

Petra S.

05/23/2013

Edward S.

This was not a big job and it did involve some roof climbing. Other painters did not respond when I requested a quote. Dan was very prompt when I requested a quote and was very fair in the price. Their finish painter showed when promised. Did a beautiful paint job with no mess. When I need the whole house painted next time 2 Penn will be my painter of choice.

Description of Work
Painted a second floor gable on my house

04/15/2013

Sean O.

They did an excellent job on my roof. They worked straight through the winter weather. Only negative. They promised a nail / shingle free yard when complete. They did not come close to that claim. Granted it was the winter but there were shingles, plastic wrappers, and nails everywhere. I went out into my yard on the weekend with my family and we filled 2 paint cans full of nails. The following spring and summer I was still digging out nails and debris from my flower beds. Also 2 Penn contracted a dumpster company to drop a container in my driveway for shingle removal. It was a third party that dropped the dumpster and they left a big gouge or gash in my driveway. We were not pleased. However, 2 Penn worked quickly to intervene and worked out a small settlement between the parties. Overall, great quality work, professional salesman, high quality roofers, and unfortunately one lazy clean up guy.

Description of Work
New shingles. Strip old shingles replace with new.

11/27/2012

Barbara F.

Smooth.

Description of Work
Repaired outside shingles and painted entire house. Looks great.

06/06/2011

Dan E.

It went excellent. They honored the bid, which was fair. They came when they said they were going to and completed when they said they were going to. Overall, they were just very pleasant to work with.

Description of Work
They painted the exterior of my house.

Vision Coatings LLC

Jonathan is a local veteran and father. After graduating from Medford Technical High School in 2002 with certificate in HVAC , Jonathan a detail oriented worker in that field. In 2004, Jonathan was ready to expand his knowledge and was recruited by a local painting company and the rest is history from working on historic buildings at Harvard University to upscale homes with over 15 years of experience we will get the job done!!! Whether your home/business owner or a property manager and in need of a fresh coat of paint. Jonathan and Vision Coatings can help you achieve the perfect look. Give us a call today I have over 15+ year's experience in Residential and Commercial Painting OSHA 30 certified for your safety and ours Lead safe renovator HIC-Contractor

United Gutters LLC

Stellar Painting & Remodeling LLC

At Stellar painting & Handymen Services passion and commitment comes together to give customers the best possible service, quality and value. We provide painting, power washing, carpentry, total bathroom and kitchen renovations, hardwood and tile floor installation, and backsplash. FREE ESTIMATES!!!

Check, Visa, MasterCard

Exterior & Interior Painting, Roofing, Seamless Gutter Installation, Carpentry, Remodeling, Pressure Washing, Snow Plowing