B.C. Building Company

Founded 1985 • With Angi since May 2012

98 North Street

Medfield, MA 02052

Have Built and Remodeled over 175 homes in MA -Construction Supervisor License # 028266 Home improvement Contractor License # 163140 Real Estate Agent License MA 30 HR OSAH Licensed and Insured...

08/06/2014

Madhuri C.

This project started in October, 2014. Per our contract, should have been completed end of February. Grading was not done til May, 2014. To the contractor's credit, work continued thru a difficult winter. I also credit the sub-contractor. Framer and his crew did tremendous amount of work in poor weather. Once the finish work started it became evident that the contractor required a lot of monitoring. He tended to have his own ideas with did not match my wants. His attention to detail was poor and there is poor workmanship reflected throughout the home. Level of professionalism was questionable at times. Even items that were clearly outlined on the architectural plans were done wrong or not completed at all. Some examples: * Ordered the wrong items: Slider to the rear was installed to open the wrong direction; I asked contractor to change slider, he debated me on it for weeks and finally agreed, charging me $1800 for a new door (with installation) - he then took possession of the original slider which I wanted to donate to Habit to Humanity; I paid for two doors but have one. I had 2x2 windows installed on the second floor.......there are five of them - all supposed to be the same; contractor ordered the wrong one for the bedroom (one of the five) and it was installed!!! I noticed it was wrong and he tried to convince me that despite it being different it was the 'right' one for that room. * Installed brand new kitchen at wrong counter height: Brand new kitchen in a brand new space was installed at non-standard height (standard is 36"), mine is at 35". I ordered a slider stove for my parents with the knobs in the front to make it easier with their disabilities. Bill told me that I ordered the wrong stove and reprimanded me for not telling me it was a slider; he told me he didn't build the kitchen to accommodate a slider and because it was a slider it wasn't going to fit (countertop was installed and it was not flush); I was informed I would have to change the stove. Luckily appliance store was amenable, but they also informed that if I was having a problem with that stove, I would have a problem with any stove because they are all the standard counter height of 36" - truth revealed. When I questioned contractor, he tried to downplay saying his kitchen (his OLD kitchen is not standard height) and it's okay; I spent a lot of time looking for a new electric stove and arranging pickups and new delivery; the wrong cabinet height adversely effected the crown moulding, as well, because the kitchen cabinet subcontractor ordered moulding accounting for 36" cabinets, not 35, as a result moulding was short/not wide enough. Builder did a bandaid fix....it's wood that was first stained and looked awful; then it was veneered; what should be a nice finishing touch (that I paid for) is a blunder!!!! Plans provided by kitchen sub-contractor had cabinets at standard 36" height but they were not installed that way. * Rarely held to his quotes: Classic lines......'I didn't account for'; ' I made a mistake' ; 'I don't know how to tell you this' ; 'Was more than I thought it would be'. Bottom line is he comes in low and charges you way more in the end when he bills you. He is not transparent about costs at all. As an example, I had a kitchen allowance. I went to the kitchen place to order cabinets....which I basically had to do blind. I was told contractor doesn't want me to know what the cost is. They told me that he has to tell me (basically, so he can tack on more). I knew I had upgrades to my cabinetry. Day of placing order, I asked Bill how much additional I owed him because that would determine if I actually ordered the cabinets. If it was too much I would have to make changes/cut out some things to reduce the cost and would not place the order. Bil told me $6K all in, labor, granite, cabinets.....all. I agreed and immediately paid the $6K. Months later he billed me over $3K more for the kitchen!!! Stating he made a mistake. * Asks for money before due - throughout the job, contractor asked for money before it was due; this including the final payment; he was asking for final payment weeks in advance of doing some major items like installing stairs/decking to outside doors and doing any of the outside grading; * Poor workmanship - inside doors were installed to open the wrong way; instead of two holes for the piping in the bathroom vanity for the hot and cold pipes, there is one big rectangle that now has to be patched to prevent things from falling thru; linen tower was installed at an angle on the counter......contractor never noticed the 1/2 inch difference- I had to point out; clips are missing from the medicine cabinet, screen is missing from basement window; I am missing outlets that were on my architectural plans and light switches are missing or in the wrong place - the light to the bedroom is in the hallway before you enter the room, the light switch to the outside floodlight is in the master bedroom on the second floor......so if I'm sitting outside in my yard and I want to turn on the light.......I have to go thru my house and make my way upstairs to the bedroom. Contractor's response:; I'll put a motion detector on it. great....other day was sitting on my deck with guests and had to keep waving our arms for it to go off!! Rear floodlight doesn't have a light switch. My radiant floors in the bathrooms were installed without sensors.....the floors were so hot we couldn't stand on the floor. I've been told that was a fire hazard. The air conditioning is leaking all over the basement. I have doors that won't close, cracking plaster.......it goes on. * Walking away from major work - the grading on the home was not done properly; water pools along the house; contractor is refusing to address as he believes that grass will grow and take care of it; well, the grass has grown and it hasn't taken care of it; I've asked him to come by on more than one occasion when it has been raining and he has not; he committed to putting a ramp in for my disabled parents as part of the scope of services - he cut the deck and moved shrubs as a start.......but has yet to complete it. * Deviated from architectural plans without discussion, consent, or monetary credit - my plans call for French drains to along both sides of the house that go to two drywells toward the rear of the yard - They were never installed!!!! * Professionalism is questionable - very argumentative; debated me on my wants a number of times; he literally walked away from conversations he didn't like, particularly ones where I was stating I didn't like the way something was done, on more than one occasion. Argumentative with the building inspector and at times I felt that he was condescending to the sub-contractors. He has left piles of debris in my yard and basement; flagstone walkway that was pulled up to make way for trucks, has not been put back. There is more.......Contractor has yet to address above noted issues. Please review pictures and feel free to contact me madhuri_coletti@yahoo.com . Happy to help someone else avoid getting in this situation!

Description of Work
In-law/family apartment for two disabled parents with a room above. Apt consists of two bedrooms, living space, full bathroom, full kitchen, laundry. Room above is a master bedroom with walk in closet and full bath. Two existing bedrooms and bathroom were also renovated.

Category home builders

01/18/2014

James G.

Work began in winter of 2013 and completed in summer of 2013 (approximately 6 months). BC Building investigated all town building codes to ensure that everything was done to code from the beginning. All town officials were contacted for site visits at the appropriate time (building, electric, plumbing, fire, etc.) to check and sign off as project was underway and completed. Owner of company has many years experience and it was demonstrated by his suggestions, designs, and other ideas that did not occur to us. He worked well with us and with all the sub-contractors hired to complete various parts of the job. Communication was constant, and any changes to scheduling, buildling plans, or materials were explained clearly and coherently. The budget was discussed weekly, and the project was completed on budget. BC saved expenses whenever possible by recommending specific materials or design changes when it made sense to do so. He always explained the differences and ultimately let us decide which direction to take. For example, we thought having more rug and less tile would be more aesthetic, but after some research and BC suggestions, we opted for mostly tile. That idea has worked out great--looks good and easier to keep clean. BC's suggestions for wall finishes and ceiling material were excellent. He also designed a wonderful layout for the bathroom/laundry. BC's contacts with suppliers allowed us to choose the kitchen materials and surfaces from a wide range of designs. We (and our tenants) are thrilled with the kitchen design. Based on my experience, I would strongly recommend BC Building for any residential building project. In the future, I hope to have BC build a garage for us.

Description of Work
BC Building gutted the entire old basement in a 90 year old house and transformed it into a modern four room apartment with separate entrance. Also built a storage shed in the backyard a few months later.

Category garage builders, home builders, woodworking, home remodeling, basement remodeling

Thanks [member names removed] for the great review I appreciate it you have been great customers to work for it was a pleasure serving you.

08/11/2013

Donna M.

Service was outstanding. Bill arranged all of the details and ensured that the sub-contractors were of excellent quality. Work was done on time and at a very reasonable cost. Bill brings a great set of skills and contacts that makes any home improvement job much easier to tackle.

Description of Work
Provider repaired weather damage in my home, arranged for painting and other staging associated with putting our home on the market and also repaired the front porch that had settled including complex masonry work.

Category home builders

Thanks so much for your great comments you have been oustanding customers ! Bill Cusano

Color Matters Painting, Inc.

"We are a company of home improvement that aims to offer a good service with a good price. Our commitment with quality has more than 14 years. We guarantee our services with a 3 years warranty and we are fully insured to serve you better. Our goal is to make your life simple letting you feel that you can count on us when the question is renovation."

Marilyn & Company - Keller Williams Realty

Marilyn & Company, doing business under the Keller Williams umbrella, takes a different approach to real estate--one that is built on customized planning/partnering with you (consulting), personal touches, win-win deals, and positive results. Marilyn (Cannon) Burke and her team utilize the latest technologies as KW enters 2020 as the #1 technology company in the business of real estate. The KW platform gives Marilyn's clients access to a worldwide Multiple listing system and massive outreach for buyers looking for homes. Marilyn's mobile APP travels with you so buyers can look at any home, anywhere in the world. Marilyn's background includes a BA in Arts with a concentration in teaching as well as several designations contributing to her becoming a listing expert. She's also an Accredited Home Staging Pro with a concentration in Interior Design from RISD. She is actively involved in all aspects of getting your home ready for sale with a concierge menu of home services to make the home selling process easy from start to finish. With a 35-year sales career meeting clients' needs and a proven track record of results, she's become the smart choice for those who want a full-time specialist who can get the job done. Call/text Marilyn today at 781-603-5261 for a complimentary consultation.

Dimitri’s Painting & Masonry

Dimitri's Painting & Masonry offers the highest level of professionalism and workmanship. We pride ourselves on being customer focused and are extremely detail orientated. Look through our image gallery, and see the diverse projects we have done. We understand that anytime someone is in your home doing any type of work, it is inconvenient. We will protect the areas that we are working in. We will perform an organized and well thought out project of the area that work is being performed in. We will remove any construction debris from the job site. We will clean up at the end of each working day. I Dimitri take pride in my workmanship, and look forward to your call. Thank you, Dimitri

General Contractor, Home Builder, Home remodeling, Commercial Building and Remodeler

N/a