A & A Painting & Carpentry Co

Founded 1987 • With Angi since February 2013

We are a medium-sized company with 27 years in the painting industry, with 6 full time painters and 1 carpenter. We do not sub-contract our work, we do all the work our self, we ask for 35% deposit, 35% at the half work completed and 30% upon completion of job....

Residence

+80 more images

decks & porches202006840
Interior and exterior paint job started and completed in New Canaan in June of 2020. Several rooms on the interior were painted and refinished ranging from bedrooms and bathrooms, living and dining rooms, and the entrance/foyer areas. On the exterior, we applied a Mahogany stain to the deck to seal and protect.
New Canaan: Oenoke Ridge Road project

decks & porches

202006840

house painting (18)interior painting (16)woodworking (6)general contractors (4)pressure washing (3)decks & porches (2)deck cleaning (1)wallpaper hanger (1)handyman (1)drywall (1)

06/25/2020

CHARLES S.

excellent work definitely hire him again

Description of Work
He did Trim and painted my sunroom

Category woodworking, interior painters

Work Completed On 06/25/2020

04/30/2019

Kurt R.

It went very well, they started on my preferred date and worked 6 days a week for 2 weeks to complete the job. I had expected it to take at least two weeks. They were punctual, polite, friendly, and thorough. It was 20 years since it was last painted so there was a lot of prep work that was needed. They also had to remove wallpaper from 6 rooms, prepare the surface, then repaint. I was very satisfied with the results.

Description of Work
Painted the entire inside of the house

Work Completed On 04/15/2019

02/12/2018

RAYMOND M.

Ronaldo and his team did an exception job. They went beyond the expected in everyway. They worked neatly, showed up on time and did great work. They are especially skilled at caulking and repair work. They transformed old and beat up rooms into fresh, clean and beautiful spaces. I have dealt with many contractors over the years and A and A ranks at the top. I give them my complete recommendation.

Description of Work
Painting of entire interior of my home.

Work Completed On 02/12/2018

12/02/2017

RAYMOND M.

Overall the Ronaldo and his team did an excellent job. Their workmanship is first rate and the painters were polite and kept the work area neat. The only minor complaint I would have is that sometimes Ronaldo would be late or not show up for appointments. Would recommend them without reservation.

Description of Work
Painted entire exterior of house.

Work Completed On 10/18/2017

11/26/2017

Matthew C.

Worked with us on timing and always responsive to questions and requests.

Description of Work
Painted entire exterior of house.

Work Completed On 07/10/2017

10/14/2017

John L.

A&A Painting and Carpentry is run by Roland and his team of workers. The work was very professional and high quality. Taking the old stain off along with cleaning mildew the siding took a few days of effort, but the team was able to create an generally even appearance down to the original cedar shingle color. New stain looks great and we are expecting to get 10-12 years of protection from it. Trim paint looks perfect - all windows, deck railing, roofing under exterior porch. Rolando and his team re-stained our large mahogany front door - which looks much better than before. He even did this at no extra cost. Carpentry work was very professional and Rolando's team did this at a fraction of the cost I was quoted from others. The price from A&A was very competitive. I had 4 quotes, 1 was 80% higher, 1 was 40% higher and the other was the same (Rolando brother). I went with A&A as Roland is very responsive and he would get me on the schedule quickly and get the work done before mid-October. When looking at cost of the work, I looked at the size of the project (large) the value A&A provided was the best I could find. Siding stain looks great - natural cedar color is darker than original siding stain and we like this color a lot. All trim work looks perfect - it's great to have the nice satin white trim on the whole house looking so bright. A&A Workers were friendly and cleaned up each day. They were at our house for nearly 2 weeks and showed up every day about 9 am and worked through to 5-6 pm.

Description of Work
Large 10 year old house - 3 story with cedar shingles and attachments (large pergola, two decks, fence). Entire house and attachments were power washed to remove old stain, some mildew and discoloration. New natural cedar stain was applied to all siding, window trim and attachments were repainted (Satin white). The west facing side of the house had discoloration from 10 years of hot afternoon sun and the siding color ranged from brown (cedar tannin) to gray. We wanted to even out the color as much as possible so that after new stain was applied, the west side of the house would be nearly all the same color. Front door needed new stain and some carpentry work required to repair minor wood rot deck railings and pergola bottom siding.

Category pressure washing, woodworking, house painters

Work Completed On 10/02/2017

Thks , Mr. [Member Name Removed] . Ronaldo

10/09/2017

Antoinette L.

It was very easy and the job was great. Easy to communicate with, and always went above and beyond. Very helpful.

Description of Work
painting kitchen cabinets, built ins, fireplaces, touch ups

Category contractors, interior painters

Work Completed On 09/20/2017

08/02/2017

Janet M.

Ronaldo and the team were great. It was a bit of a crisis, as our house is currently for sale. He got the team in right away and did an excellent job.

Description of Work
Ronaldo and his team have done several projects for us, but the most recent one involved fixing a ceiling and bathroom after a toilet created a flood situation.

Category drywall, handyman service, interior painters

Work Completed On 06/26/2017

07/06/2017

William R.

Iniial work was done on time and looked like it was done well. Agreed on a fixed price for additional work but after it was done the painter wanted additional funds since it took him longer than expected. I refused to pay since it was a fixed price. As an alternative I gave him some additional work at a fair price. However he tried to make back the money by taking shortcuts and NOT doing the work ordered. The real issue was that the paint started to peal within 6 months. Since he guaranteed the work for a year, we called him and came out and said he would repair the work. Many calls and messages failed to bring him out. You can verify the pealing by visiting my house since it has gotten worse.

Description of Work
Sanded and painted exterior of house.

Work Completed On 07/13/2015

This is NOT true. I have been in this business for 28 years now and always I keep my word. I do what is in my power to keep all my customers happy ! Unfortunately, I tried to keep this customer satisfied, but sometimes, no matter how much you do, it is never enough. I decided to go into this business not for the sole purpose of revenue, but more so to transform people's homes into what they have always dreamed of to the best of my ability. What happened with this client was: He said he was going to sell the house within a few years and did not want to spend a lot of money because he was retired and his wife did not want him on ladders. He said that he did not trust any painters, carpenters, landscapers, etc. That was a red flag for me but I decided to overlook that matter and took the job. I explained that we had to sand down the entire siding paint off to the bare wood because after 15 years of the owner touching up the house himself, the siding was in terrible shape! It was dented, peeling, overlapping paint, and overall obviously not done professionally ! After much discussion, he finally agreed to have the house sanded down to the bare wood, BUT, only to the first floor! Of course with this, we did what he told us but we clearly explained that we could not guarantee the second floor work because it needed to be sanded down to bare wood like we did the first in order to assure the best results in the opinion of a professional. After informing this client of how we could not gaurentee the upstairs work, the client still told us to move forward with what he wanted which was the minimum. We sanded only the spots where the paint was visually peeling (the cheaper short fix) because the client did not want to spend the extra money to do right thing. He was in fact charged $6,000.00, not $8,000.00. There was NO extra or unfair revenue made on this job or any job in my career. We actually did extra work for free by sanding down only the spots the client asked for because he chose not to take the professional advice to sand the upstairs floor for an additional $600 like we did on the first floor. The original contract did not include sanding the painting off to the bare wood. The client called me to come to the house after a year, not 6 months! I agreed to return after summer to do touch ups on second floor where it should have been sanded down to bare wood, but he refused. I found out that this client had later posted a innacurate and tarnishing review which can be compared to the very excellent list of reviews below. If you ask me, This client ended up getting a lot more work and extra sanding labor for the money that he paid ! Unfortunately this was a very difficult client to deal with and I should not have taken this job. He previously rated my company as a "B" about 2 years ago, and now, 3 years later, he changed his review to a "D" for the same job done years ago. This is not an accurate representation or review of my company.

03/02/2017

Dori W.

Both jobs went extremely well. The team was on time, did a very clean job, and much attention was given to detail. Several of my friends were favorably impressed by the results. Inside the house they painted bedrooms, closets, windows, trims and ceilings; In addition I needed to pull the wall to wall carpet in the dining room ; the hardwood floor needed to be sanded and finished with polyurethane. It looks GREAT.

Description of Work
This is the second time Ronaldo (A&A) worked at my house. Two years ago he painted my house outside and just now he and his team painted my entire house inside.

Work Completed On 03/02/2017

Review for A & A Painting & Carpentry Co - 22 Summit Ridge Rd, Shelton, CT - 34542665

11/14/2016

Charles W.

We were very, very happy with the work. He got the job done on time and even ended up doing a few extra things that came up along the way without billing us additionally. His workers were professional, kind and courteous and did quality work. There were no drip marks or accidents. We would certainly recommend A&A Painting to anyone needing a large complex paint job.

Description of Work
We had a large luxury timber frame home and separate garage building completely painted, well technically, they were stained. The house and garage have cedar shingle siding with lots of trim. Ronaldo did a great job consulting with us on the right products to use which was quite complicated for a number of reasons including weathering of the old stain and matching of colors/appearance. His team also stained the large deck and refinished all the railings. Overall, they did a FANTASTIC job.

Category decks, house painters

Work Completed On 11/14/2016

11/12/2015

Leslie A.

Work Completed On 10/01/2013

06/08/2015

Lorella C.

I think the experience was very positive, seamless, in fact. I always deplore having to do work in my home. Ronaldo and his team were very pleasant, neat and clean. They were very trustworthy, as well, since I was not home when the work was being performed. If there was something that I was not 100% satisfied with (I am extremely particular), Ronaldo was quick to have a discussion with me about it and execute my wishes. I really was happy that the cost of some of the paint and materials was included in the overall price. Most painters will often charge extra for these supplies. I highly recommend ronaldo and would most definitely use him in the future. Lorella, Ridgefield, CT

Description of Work
Painting windows, bedroom, miscellaneous handyman projects in my daughter's bathroom.

Work Completed On 05/26/2015

01/27/2015

Jeffrey S.

I'll start by saying that we indeed intend to engage Rinaldo again as he did an excellent job. The only con was that he missed our originally scheduled start date; we had to call and remind him and by then he could not accomplish the job for when we had hoped to have it done. However once he got going the experience was great--especially as it included an error, as I will explain. Rinaldo obtained all the necessary materials properly, including finding an excellent alternative for a shade/texture no longer available. He engaged his carpenter sub to create wainscoting according to our exact design. The work was excellent and the painting perfect. We then ran into trouble with metallic stripes on the wall above--we had requested a uniform translucent ribbon-like effect and he applied a textured version. There were also areas of imperfection that the texture highlighted. I explained that as our instructions were precise, he would need either to make it work or redo (this would have been a huge amount of extra effort). He redid it using the pattern he applied and the result was actually much better than what we had aimed for, And, it was perfectly precise with no flaws--difficult to do. It hits the eye luxuriously. This provided a much better and real-world process by which to judge a contractor--since nothing ever goes perfectly. I have hired many other painters over the years including ones in FFC and NYC--Rinaldo did the best job of any and handled this glitch with exceptional professionalism.

Description of Work
Rinaldo (the proprietor) painted our dining room according to moderately complex instructions that require considerable care to accomplish properly. This was also a test for us with respect to finding someone we might then use again in the future.

Category contractors, woodworking, house painters, interior painters

Work Completed On 12/01/2014

12/18/2014

William R.

Description of Work
painted house difference of opinion on what was promised and what was done

Work Completed On 07/20/2014

I explained to the customer that the house needed and extensive sanding and preparation because it had not been painted for 15 years ! so I wanted to power-sand the entire paint off the siding to the bare wood for an extra reasonably amount of money , but customer did not want to spend the extra money saying that he was going to sell the house in couple years , finally he agreed to have the lower level of the house up to second floor sanded , we disagreed a few times because he wanted us to do a lot of extra work without getting paid . As always We did an very good job on the house but unfortunately the second floor of the house could have been better prepared for a long lasting painting job , but like he said he was going to move and did not want to spend more money .

11/18/2014

Tom S.

We had an 11am appointment for Ronaldo to stop by and look at the job and give me an estimate. He was a no show! No call either. I rearranged my morning schedule to accommodate him. I waited 2.5 hrs before I wrote this review to give him the benefit of the doubt. Why are some contractors such flakes? I had another spot with another company at 1:00 and as of 1:25 he is a no show as well. I purposely don't tell them I found them on Angie's List because I want to see how they conduct business without thinking there is a review involved.

Description of Work
Needed an estimate on painting a ceiling and some crown moulding. I was also planning on asking about some carpentry work.

Category woodworking, interior painters

Work Completed On 11/18/2014

I Called (Member Name Removed) explaining that I was running late and that I was going to be arriving late at his house due to Traffic and because I was coming from another appointment . He hesitated and then said to me that " never Mind , don't bother ! to his house . I was coming from about an hour drive . I am usually on time for my appointments , but sometimes I can't beat the clock !

08/20/2014

MIchele B.

Absolutely fabulous. I cannot give a higher recommendation. We hired Renaldo back in January to repair and paint a ceiling. When we were preparing to put our house on the market, I got 3 estimates. Renaldo gave us an excellent price. He had the workers in on the date we needed and had the work completed right on time. He suggested a color for me that was neutral and would brighten the house up. They painted all the rooms for us. House looks like we never lived there, looks brand new. All of the workers were polite and very helpful. If we had not moved to Florida I would definitely use again.

Description of Work
Painted interior of home and helped prepare it to be put on the market.

Category wallpaper

Work Completed On 07/09/2014

01/30/2014

Craig B.

Work Completed On 11/15/2013

01/27/2014

MIchele B.

They arrived on time, were friendly very nice. The fixed the ceilings, prepared for painting, painted and cleaned the area up when they were done. They did a very nice job.

Description of Work
Came to fix and paint two ceilings in my home

Work Completed On 01/01/2014

11/26/2013

Elizabeth T.

Painted weather sections.

Description of Work
I used A & A Painting/Carpentry Co.

Work Completed On 11/20/2013

this was a big deal job of $ 399.00 for exterior painting for two painters for a day . Like the previous jobs we did a lot more what was requered of us , we went above and beyond to please the customer . Unfortunately some customers are very difficult to please . Up to know I had a perfect review , but i guess one B everage review is not going to change my professionalism and quality work .

11/18/2013

SHERMAN L.

Excellent work. Result looked like a totally new ceiling

Description of Work
Patched, refinished and painted ceiling

Work Completed On 11/10/2013

11/06/2013

Karen M.

Renaldo's men were very pleasant and did ALL the work I had asked them to do which included the outside trim of my house in the back, the master bathroom and the hallway to the basement. Since they knew that I had all this work for them they made sure to have it all done by the end of the day. I really appreciated their efforts and was very happy with the painting, the clean up and the polite way the two painters went about their work. Definitely would use them again!

Description of Work
He did some exterior and interior painting

Work Completed On 10/30/2013