Deer Haven Construction, Inc

Founded 1989 • With Angi since June 2010

3.9

1674 Russet Dr

Eugene, OR 97401

Oregon Construction Contractor Board License number: 186157 Old license number 59545 was closed when we became incorporated last year.

10/10/2016

char W.

Description of Work
Would not recommend this company, it to too long the quality was very poor, took way too long to get the project done.

07/23/2015

Beth P.

Victor worked with my schedule and came to my home to discuss adding a new bath and remodeling an existing bedroom. He suggested some ideas and referred me to an architect for additional design expertise.

Description of Work
Gave me some design ideas for remodeling a bedroom and adding a new bath.

05/21/2015

Kellyclare G.

Description of Work
A simple walk through and consult regarding options for remodeling our small kitchen. He gave good suggestions that we hadn't considered and helped us visualize maximizing the space with a number of choices. He later provided us with a detailed illustration of the design we had discussed that we could use on our own or with a contractor of our choice. There was no pressure at all to use any additional services aside from the consultation which was very nice.

02/08/2015

Lori F.

Deer Haven was on time to our appointment and gave us our bid. It was higher than we had hoped and during that time another opportunity came up for us to invest our money in a different way, which we chose to do.

Description of Work
We got an estimate on a kitchen remodel.

11/19/2014

Stanley S.

The project isn't a remodel job but some small repairs.

Category home remodeling

10/17/2014

Roger D.

The workers had to return twice because doors didn't fit properly.

Description of Work
Made and installed cabinet doors for kitchen and bathroom vanity. Installed hood vent over stove.

Category countertops, remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling

I don't understand how returning to adjust doors on old poorly built cabinets would be a bad thing. I thought we left you very satisfied! Victor

06/23/2014

Lani L.

Description of Work
Full downstairs remodel.

07/20/2013

Linda R.

Victor and his crew are wonderful. This was a big project and lasted about four months. They all tried to make the experience as pleasant as possible. If there was ever anything that was not to our liking, they changed it. Victor wants to make sure his customers are happy, and I am. This was the second time I used Deer Haven, and I would use them again (except my husband might leave if I do any more work in the house). We recommend them highly.

Description of Work
Demolished old and installed two new decks, remodeled master bath and closet, and renovated two guest baths and kitchen

07/04/2013

Jim B.

Design and plan approval happened within one week. Porch was added on quickly, bump outs and roof added on later. Gutters right after that. It all went well and was accomplished in approx. two months. Victor was accomodating and helpful with all the estimated costs we asked for. The workers were friendly and I found no alcohol or drug behavior; they were in and out of my house with no problems.

Description of Work
Replaced my mansard rood with a pitched roof, added a new front porch and door, added bump outs added gutters.

04/28/2013

Robert M.

I recently contracted with Deer Haven to do a variety of jobs on a house I am renovating. This included demolition, floor repair, wall repair, installing cabinets, and a host of small miscellaneous items recommended by the home inspector retained during the loan process. I am very satisfied with Deer Haven, Victor and his crew. They were on time, courteous, worked hard and accomplished all their work, as expected, and at a reasonable cost. The precision when installing the cabinets was exacting and facilitated a perfect installation of the countertops (by others) and appliances. I would highly recommend Victor Wright and Deer Haven Construction.

Description of Work
Demolition, floor repair, wall repair, installing cabinets, and a host of small miscellaneous repairs

02/25/2013

Liz M.

This was a big job with many aspects. There were too many things that were wrong with their work to list here. Some was acceptable but there was a lot that was not. A customer shouldn't have to hound a contractor to do something right. Many aspects were done sloppily. The "finished" product didn't look good or many things they said they fixed didn't work well. One day, they broke my gate lock, rather than calling me to let them in, and then did a shoddy job reinstalling it. The drywall in the kitchen and closet was sloppy. The toilet wasn't straight and I actually had to mention it to the contractor who said he had noticed that and then fixed it. A customer shouldn't have to even point out something that is so obviously wrong. My guess is that he was hoping I wouldn't notice. One of the major parts of this job was getting all the doors so that they shut properly without having to be slammed shut. I had to ask the contractor twice on one of the doors. Finally on the third time, he fixed it. In the end, 2 of the doors didn't close right and the cabinet doors in the bedroom didn't close right. When I ran the water in the sink for which they were supposed to run new lines, it leaked profusely. It made me feel bad to have to repeatedly point out work that wasn't done right. Finally, the contractor quit in the middle of the job. We settled on the work they did and it was no bargain. That was in July. Bit by bit I got the job finished that I had hired them to do and in February tenants moved in. They told me that the garage door wouldn't shut and were forced to leave it unlocked. I called up Deerhaven to fix it because they were supposed to, they came out to fix it but the tenant told me later that they had to finish the work because the knob came off. Final straw. I'm going to Angies List about this company. Lousy experience, unprofessional, sloppy. Do not recommend.

Description of Work
This is a list of what they were supposed to do at an older house in the River Road neighborhood: Install 5 deadbolts on doors; Installed new glass knob/mortice on porch door (looked bad). Adjust closet cabinet doors and drawers (still don't work); Install new board and bead panels in the bathroom (didn't finish nail to wall, bowed out now) and replace the baseboard with pvc base.; Remove garbage disposal and install new drain lines (leaked after they said it was done); Clean out and dispose of junk in garage (partial); complete strand board 3/8' on missing parts of walls after insulating (didn't do); Obtain and hang three 1'x4' narrow wrap T-8 fluorescent lights with diffusers (did good on this one); Install washer and dryer with new dryer venting (didn't do); In kitchen remove wood on walls and hang drywall and hang drywall over wood on ceiling (sloppy job). Tape, prime and texture with orange peel spatter (round corners at entry) (sloppy job); Install new base and casing; Construct paint grade cabinet for above stove hood (didn't do); Run new rigid piping from range hood to existing roof vent (didn't do); In bathroom, caulk in bath fan, install new toilet; install shower door (didn't do); Replace floor strip; In closet, insulate ceiling; Install drywall (sloppy job); Tape, prime and texture (same as kitchen); Install shelves and closet rod (didn't do).

Category drywall, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, doors

Wow Customer, this is a surprise......what got into you? When we finished up last summer all was good. You called last week about a sticking garage door (a common thing for an old house in winter) and I went right over and adjusted it. When I saw you posted a comment I was really expecting it to be a rave review. Can we meet at your house to go over the items you mentioned please? Oh, I didn't do anything to the doorknob, it was fine when I left but I'd be happy to look at it. Thanks! Victor (541) 729-3805

01/07/2013

Marta B.

Work was fine, accomplished on time.

Description of Work
Demolition of existing counter in kitchen to prepare for her appliances, granite, and tile.

01/05/2013

walt N.

This was an important part of our kitchen refresh. Our home is in an older neighbor hood and we've tried to remain true to a classic style and not spend a fortune as well. Victor's suggestions on tile configuration were right on and I love the border. He was able to remove and replace the old sink with no trouble, which incidentally looks so much better now. The counter is one of the new multi-surface laminates with no seam as we requested. Kitchen work was done with as little dust and mess as could be possible. We are very happy and have several more jobs for him in the future.

Description of Work
We contacted Victor Wright after being rather confused by the bids and instructions from a couple of other contractors. He had a clear concise grasp of the job right away and we felt confident he would have no problem with our request. We asked him to remove old kitchen back splash and kitchen counter ,replace back splash with ceramic tile and lay a new laminate on the counter. Victor prepared the surfaces for the new ones with as little mess as possible. He arranged for the tile to be hung and the counter to be laid by very skilled craftsmen who each did their jobs with integrity.

Category ceramic tile, countertops, remodeling, home remodeling

01/04/2013

Judith B.

The plans were approved by the city the same day my financing came through, and I was assured that we would be done by Thanksgiving. I discovered that a project like this is as much work for the customer as it is for the builder - cabinets and bookshelves need to be emptied so furniture can be moved to make way for the workers, and the actual work - wall removal, carpet removal, etc. And because I have a dog and two cats, I sometimes had to be home for certain stages of the work. Victor was good about advising me of the upcoming schedule, so that I could plan my days, and the pre-work needed on my part. Sometimes he had to work around my schedule, and he was very gracious about that. Bottom line - the project was completed 2 days before Thanksgiving, and the crews even helped move my furniture back into place. A couple of times, things specified in the plans didn't work as well as expected. Victor was great at seeing this as it came up, and making adjustments that worked better than the original idea. The sub-contractors also sometimes saw things that they thought might be better if done a little differently, and discussed their suggestions with me, so I could decide what I wanted (things like placement of lights, outlets, etc) The workers cleaned up after themselves, both inside and out, and everybody was polite and considerate, not only of me but of my pets. I love my new space, and all of my visitors do, too. My family decided that I should host Christmas as well as Thanksgiving. The new space is light and airy, and the floor is lovely. I almost hate to put area rugs on it, but will, to protect it from furniture scuffs, and to make my blind dog more secure.

Description of Work
I wanted to bump out my dining room wall about 10 feet, removing the old exterior wall completely. Because I have a shallow back yard, I didn't want the room to be rectangular - I wanted more like half an octagon, with a rounded roofline, high ceiling and lots of windows. Victor sketched out the plan, we did some revisions, and he had the plans done professionally. Although I got a late start on my planning, I was hoping to have Thanksgiving dinner in my new spacious dining room. In addition, I wanted the carpet removed from the old dining room/living room/entry area, and replaced with hardwood.

Category contractors, drywall, flooring contractor, hardwood floor, remodeling, woodworking

12/17/2012

David C.

Victor was a pleasure to work with. He helped make our addition process easier. He answered questions and gave his advice in a very helpful manner. We wanted to perform some of the work ourselves and he was willing to work with us on those areas. He bid certain phases and we negotiated what we wanted him to do. He communicated with us on the progress and projected timelines very effectively and if was a pleasure to deal with him. We would recommend him to others.

Description of Work
Victor gave us a bid on the framing and construction of our 720 ft. addition. We used Victor and his crew for a variety of things such as framing, foundation, structural build, windows etc. He was efficient and was detailed when it came to cleanup during and at the end of the project.

Category contractors, remodeling, replacement windows, home builders, foundation repair

10/01/2012

vivienne F.

The job proved bigger than anticipated, and they covered up the moldy hole with billowing plastic which allowed mold spores and odor to fill bedroom.At my request they reluctantly put a temporary sheet rock cover over it held with duct tape that kept peling off, until a planned roofing job could be done.They also had been asked to repair an outside windowsill that had some rot,this involved breaking through the interior wall.the employee who did the plastering job inside had no idea of how to do it, and left rough patches and bumps and mess all over floor.The "boss" had to redo it. They also were contracted to fill in a fireplace wall as the chimney was no longer functional. they did an o.k. job on that, but had to be called back several times to finish the job.The job took weeks, and was basically unsatisfactory. When I called them several months later to put in a handrail for safety after a fall that broke my shoulder they did not return my calls. I only called them because I was in crisis and din't have the energy to research another company.I don;t know why I did call them again,although Victor, the owner, was very amiable, his worker, Dave, didn't have a clue. Altogether the work was shoddy, filled with aggravation and many calls to complete it.to get it competed, and not of good quality when done.

Description of Work
Original call was to replace sheet rock in bedroom ceiling damaged by leak.

Category remodeling

Of course I returned your call and left two messages. Everything was great when we finished and can only suppose you are upset because you think I didn't call for more work. You know the job took longer than expected because work was added. The fireplace tile that you didn't like was what you bought and we just put it in. We did seal the ceiling as you asked but didn't take my advice to sleep in another empty bedroom. I don't understand if you are so unhappy with our work why you would be trying to have me do new work and get angry when you think I didn't call and leave a bad report here. I'll stop by today and if you're not home I'll leave a note. Thanks much! Victor

09/05/2012

Alycia C.

After getting 3 bids for this job, I chose Victor (the most expensive bid) based on his high Angie'sLIst ratings. He was polite and seemed to know what he was talking about, and had some good design ideas. The contract we signed stated that I would allow the crew to use the restroom in my home instead of paying for a Port-a-Potty to sit in my driveway. The first two days, two crew members showed up, worked hard, and were courteous about using the restroom. On the third day, two more crew members showed up. Someone (I didn't see who) entered early in the morning to use the restroom. No problem, except that when I went to brush my teeth, a syringe fell on top of me from the top of the medicine cabinet. The syringe had an old faded label reading "insulin" on it, but was filled with a black liquid. Thankfully, the tip was capped, but this was obviously heroin, and had clearly been hidden on top of the medicine cabinet by one of the crew members. I called Victor immediately, and he was distressed and angered, but didn't know what to do. I thought he understood my outrage at having one of his crew members violate my home in this way. I stated that while I was extremely upset, I did not want to send the whole crew home because at this point the front of my house looked like a mine had gone off, and I knew it could be weeks before getting someone else to come finish. So Victor suggested leaving the needle in place, and checking after the crew members used the restroom in order to figure out whose it was. I took this suggestion, but at the end of the day the syringe was still in place. I spent the night terrified that whichever of Victor's employees had left the needle might try to get it back overnight. The next morning, I called the non-emergency police line, and in the hour or so it took for the police to show up, one of the crew removed the syringe. I should note that I called Victor immediately after the police, and rather than come confront his crew while the police were here, he stayed on the other side of town. The police came, searched the crew members, and came up empty. The guy in question had dumped the syringe before the police arrived. Since he didn't have anything on him, the police were unable to arrest him, and in Victor's absence, I had to fire this person on my own. I would also like to add that at this time I was pregnant and had my sixteen-year-old sister staying with me. Both of us were put at risk for exposure to any number of blood-borne diseases that may have been on the used needle Victor's employee left in my bathroom. After the crew member left, Victor showed up and assured me he would pay for a portable toilet and drug tests for the employees. By then, of course, drug tests were rather a moot point, as I don't care what people do in their spare time, as long as they keep their used syringes out of my house. And really, the portable toilet was the least Victor should have done. The crew finished the job, and it looks nice. When Victor asked for the final payment, I requested that he make some type of good-faith concession to me given what I went through as a result of his employment practices. Victor stated that he thought the portable toilet and drug tests (for the remaining employees) were enough. I disagreed, and asked that he still consider the hassle and trauma I went through. Several weeks later, after his crew finished staining the fence, I received a bill for $250 for the staining. When I called to request that this be waived in light of what I now call "the Heroin Incident", Victor said he couldn't do that, that the extra stones they laid free of charge when building the retaining wall (before the Heroin Incident,) should make up for my trouble. However, he had already told me the extra stones would be laid for free, since I was not consulted when he decided to extend the wall a few feet. Overall, between trying to sleep while terrified some junky might try to break back into my bathroom, and having the police interrogate Victor's employees on my front lawn, this was a horrible experience. I deeply wish I had gone with a less expensive contractor whose employees would likely not have left any hard drugs in my house. And beyond that, I cannot for the life of me understand why Victor thinks I should still be paying full price for the job. The fence and retaining wall look great, but I am seriously afraid of allowing other contractors/crews into my home after my experience with Victor and Deer Haven. Update: There has been no interruption in my phone service; the contractor simply did not contact me. Also, I paid the bill in full after submitting my report. I offered this contractor multiple opportunities to "make it right" with me after the incident: twice I mentioned that I felt a concession on his part would have been fair, given what we went through. He disagreed, so I feel an honest review for my fellow consumers is the fair thing for me to do. I also very much resent the implication that I, my husband, or kid sister used and left heroin in my bathroom based on this one employee seeming like such a "great help". Yes, the finished project looks good. But business practices matter, and unfortunately in this situation the contractor fell short by a long shot, despite multiple attempts on my part to be fair, continue working with the company, and allow the contractor the chance to resolve this.

Description of Work
We hired Victor and his crew to replace and extend a backyard fence and install a ~3' high retaining wall in the front yard.

Category decks, fencing, remodeling, hardscaping

Wow AMember, I sure never saw this coming from you! On our last phone conversation you were very satisfied with the work and agreed to send me the $250 balance (which I still havn't received by the way). I tried to call you yesterday after seeing this comment but your phone is out of service. Yes one of my employees (a LCC student) was suspected of the drugs but he has disappeared after your firing him and suspect he may have moved back to Washington. He had just lost his Grandmother and had his car stolen and I think this thing just must have been too much for him. I still do not believe it was my guy. He was always such a great help, wanting to learn and a pleasure to work with. If it was him why in the world would he leave it there overnight anyway? I am so ignorant of drug use but he sure never did anything to suspect him. You make it sound like I hid out or something when the thing happened but I was getting materials for your job and it simply took awhile to get there. I hope you read this and give me a call, we sure enjoyed working for you and I'm very proud of the finished project. I want to resolve this the best I can. Thanks! Victor Deer Haven Construction, Inc. (541) 729-3805

05/10/2012

ELBERT D.

They exceeded my expectations for the job. I thought that they had excellent leadership and worked very hard to get the work done in a timely manner. There was some delay due to weather but did a great job in getting everything done.

Description of Work
They rebuilt my deck. Replacing: all of the boards rails and posts two new stairways

Category decks

11/17/2011

Patricia H.

He's a nice guy, he goes above and beyond. I didn't like the way the walls looked so he redid them. He didn't act like I was a nuicance, he didn't even flinch when I asked him to.

Description of Work
He had to put new beams in my ceiling, drywall, put mud in, and had to paint and put texture in. He is making a new mantle for me above my fireplace too.

Category contractors, drywall, remodeling, woodworking

11/16/2011

Debra A.

Excellent! It was so nice to have a professional, honest person working for us who we could depend on. Quality was excellent! Victor was worth his weight in gold. Would not hesitate for a moment to recommend him, or use him again.

Description of Work
Built fencing, outdoor deck and step access, RV gate, installed utility room cabinets.

Category decks, fencing, home builders, driveway gates

09/01/2011

Gary S.

Overall, working with Victor from Deer Haven was wonderful. The demo of the old windows was a bit sloppy in that a lot of broken glass was left in the yard, but Victor had his team clean it as best as possible. The construction, including the inevitable surprises that happen, was all top notch, handled very professionally, the communication was excellent, and the pricing reasonable and fair on both the project and change orders that resulted from problems discovered in demo. Overall, we are very, very pleased with Victor and Deer Haven and will be using him again in the future.

Description of Work
Removed all glass roof and wall of 25yr old sunroom, and replaced with new solid roof w/skylights and wall of windows. Did all associated framing, plastering to match side walls, etc.

Category drywall, remodeling, skylights, sunrooms

06/16/2011

Patrick C.

The work was executed and initially appeared to be satisfactory. One year later, the rental property was sold. Prior to this sale, a thorough inspection of the house was performed by a licensed home inspector. He found that the bathroom exhaust fans installed one year prior by this company had not been connected to roof vents communicating with the outside, but instead had simply been vented into the attic. The inspection also revealed that the corner of the house nearest these bathroom fans had suffered significant decay in the roofing substrate in that part of the house. The inspector expressed the opinion that the failure to connect the bathroom fans to roof vents and the consequent exhausting of moist bathroom air into the attic had caused the damage. The entire roof was replaced before the sale of the property, with the necessary repairs to the roofing substrate increased the cost of the roof replacement by approximately $1000. The roofing contractor concurred with the inspector's assessment, agreeing that the improper installation of the bathroom fans was the cause of the moisture damage in the attic. Upon being contacted regarding this incident, the contractor refused to consider any redress or amicable settlement, and at this time a claim in small claims court is being developed.

Description of Work
This contractor performed part of a general renovation of a rental property. His specific area of responsibility was the two bathrooms. His work included replacing flooring, heater and counter-tops and replacing a bathtub and associated fixtures. The bathrooms were to be newly painted as appropriate. This report mostly concerns the installation of bathroom fans, which was part of the work performed. (Plumbing renovation, executed at the same time, was done by another contractor.)

Category countertops, flooring contractor, ceiling fans, home remodeling, interior painters

Please don't believe anything this customer has posted! This is simply a blatant attempt to force us to pay for repairs to a poorly maintained old house by stating untruths and making unjust threats. The work as performed in the same impeccable manner we have always done for over 20 years. Please read any of our other reports. Contractors: Stay away from this one!!!

01/12/2011

Terri T.

Excellent. The cabinets turned out beautifully and closely match the existing lower cabinets. We didn't like the first range hood that we bought and he had no problem changing them out. Very nice fellow.

Description of Work
We hired Victor as the general contractor to install a dishwasher, install a range hood, build 4 new kitchen cabinets, and remodel part of a kitchen cabinet and drawer that were affected by installing the dishwasher. He also had to create a new exhaust exit site for the range fan and drywall the old fan exit hole.

Category custom cabinets, drywall, remodeling, home remodeling

01/08/2011

Linda R.

The job was expected to take two weeks, but it lasted three weeks. Victor is very personable and he has an excellent, friendly crew. They were prompt each morning, and they cleaned up after themselves in the evening. When I had trouble choosing wall colors, Victor was able to refer me to a decorator who assisted me. He also referred me to an electrician (Roger King) who was also personable, knowledgeable, and efficient. Removing popcorn from ceilings is never an enjoyable experience, but Victor and his crew made it as comfortable as possible. They did a great job. My home looks beautiful.

Description of Work
Victor and his crew removed the popcorn for my ceilings, applied new texture, and painted the ceilings and walls.

Category drywall, remodeling, interior painters

06/17/2010

Aven W.

As we were moving in from out of town, initial work was coordinated via phone. When we arrived, interior of the new home was completely masked off in preparation for painting. Victor made several suggestions regarding the high ceilings, reflected light surfaces and pointers to keep in mind from his recent experience of being in the home for the past few days (seeing how the light changed during the day) and we headed to a recommended paint store and selected our color choice. The next day, Victor purchased all needed paint and a crew of three began work in earnest. Three days later they wrapped up the work, left no waste behind to clean up and the work was beautiful. Additional work in the next few weeks included pressure-washing the sidewalk/driveways, and remodeling the office doors and adding a new skylight. Next week it will be exterior paint and he is due any minute to begin pressure-washing the house exterior. Very friendly, outgoing, personable, reasonably on time (other jobs in the works - no wonder with his skill and ability to line up solid crew members too), and excellent workmanship. He's a native Eugenean too!

Description of Work
Prior to move in to new home, complete interior painting, two coats, beautiful work.

Category custom cabinets, countertops, decks, drywall, fencing, flooring contractor, lighting, masonry, plastering, remodeling, roofing, deck cleaning, pressure washing, garage builders, home builders, skylights, home remodeling, house painters, interior painters, cabinet refacing, sunrooms