Alex Gregg Home Improvement

Founded 1972 • With Angi since February 2006

4.1

2037 Lemoine Ave

Fort Lee, NJ 07024

Family owned & operated. Third generation owners, Over 60 years in the Big Apple

04/24/2013

Seja L.

How $6500.00 to $26000.00. He took too much advantage of a woman like me. Also, he messed up my next door garage door cement spots. This problem is still going on.

Description of Work
Alex Gregg gave me first estimate of $6500.00 on 02/17/2013. Next day he came, there is a problem with the chimney seal around the chimney $2500.00. 26ft x 30ft foundation $20000.00 more.

Category roofing, chimney repair

11/12/2012

Hannah L.

My complaint about this firm is that Gregg, as he does the work you hired him for, is constantly finding new things which absolutely have to be done now--then he offers a "deal" if you get it all done at once. It still costs a bundle and you can't get the job broken down with prices for each component. And if things go wrong, you have to pay a second time to get them fixed. No taking responsibility. Another complaint--neither Gregg nor his son are on hand consistently to supervise. Work is done by immigrant workers who often seem at sea. They mixed their concrete for patio not in a mixing pan (I actually have one I could have loaned) but in my flower bed. I am still struggling to rehabilitate the soil. The final episode--this fall Gregg called insisting he needed to check my roof, put in in 2010, "to make sure it's tight." Knowing that good roofs should last 10-12 years, I refused. I knew he would find more expensive problems only he could fix. If you use him, make sure the work is really necessary, make sure you supervise it yourself, and hold him to written prices for each step.

Description of Work
Patched a roof repair done by others. Seems OK today. Injected foam to stabilize the rotted wooden supports of a metal cornice. Have no idea if that was done properly or not. No idea if it was needed or not. Poured concrete for new patio, sealed back of building. Patio job went wrong--hard rain flooded kitchen and damaged newly laid wood floor and interior wall. Patio had to be dug up and done properly with waterproofing against house wall, which was what I thought I had specified at first. Second job very costly--on top of original charge. Stone edging for patio initially put in crookedly until I howled, insisted stones be set right. Workman confessed he had been a teacher in his country of origin. Waterproofed basement. Very expensive. Process, involving injecting chemicals into basement wall, described as "very new" and needing special technician's license. Produced awful fumes which bothered neighbors. A month or so later Gregg came back and said some spots had been missed and were leaking. Proposed to finish job properly FOR ANOTHER $9000. I refused. That said, basement is now quite dry, and walls, which were crumbling with damp, seem somewhat stabilized.

Category concrete repair, roofing, basement waterproofing

I would like to know what happen that you would go from a A rating on your review to this nasty review. Number 1 you did not have a new roof put on you paid to have it repaired and coated I told you then it would need to be coated again in a couple years. When I came in Nov 11 it was a courtisey call to remind you that's all YOU DID NOT HAVE A NEW ROOF YOU WERE NEVER TOLD IT WAS A NEW ROOF IF YOU READ YOUR PAPERWORK YOU FIND THIS TO BE TRUE Being you decided to try and damage me I want to ask on this open form did anything we ever did leak again. And it's not my fault that you decided to remodel the entire house at the same time I worked there things you wanted done cost a lot of money. As I said I don't know what happened since your first report I have not worked for you since the first time so I don't know what it could be. But I feed my family doing this and I do it to the best of my ability why you would choose to try and damage me now after an A rating and three years I haven't a clue. Good luck to you and good bye

12/08/2011

Andrew O.

I used Angie's List to find someone to repair my elderly uncle's roof. I managed this from over 1,000 miles away so this was somewhat tricky. Only 2 firms on Angie's list responded to my requests. Both quotes were similar in value but I liked Alex's approach to repairing the roof better. Alex responds quickly to phone and text messages but he is not the quickest at getting to the job site. He had a series of problems with equipment which certainly can happen. Bottom-line, I liked his straight-forward approach and understanding of the problem. One caveat is that you may need to be patient. Time will tell how well the repairs hold up but Alex has promised to fix any problems if they do occur.

Description of Work
Alex repaired some damaged flashing caused by Hurricane Irene. He then sealed the roof to prevent future leaks.

10/26/2011

Anauta C.

It didn't go at all. They never returned my call for an estimate. If Mr Gregg is so busy he should at least change his voice mail response to say that if he does not return calls after two days the caller should then move on to another provider. I wasted two weeks waiting for a call back.

Description of Work
I called Alex Gregg Home Improvement around the middle of Oct to get an estimate for cement repair. I left three messages on the answering service/ voicemail. Today it is Oct 26 approximate two weeks later and Mr Gregg has never returned my call, even though his voice mail response says someone will get back to you within 24 hours.

Category concrete repair

I never got her call theres no reason I would not respond there were two numbers a cell and a voice mail sorry I never got her call

09/23/2011

Daniel B.

There was evidence of water seepage around the fireplaces on several floors of the house. We called 6 different roofers, 5 from Angie's List and 1 from a private recommendation. Two never returned the phone call. One called several times when I wasn't home to say he was in the neighborhood and could stop by, but never made an appointment. Two came and examined the job and gave verbal estimates but were annoyed when I requested a written bid and never sent it. Mr. Gregg made an appointment, showed up on time, sent a bid and did the work promptly and neatly. And so far it hasn't leaked.

Description of Work
Repaired open cracks in several places on roof around chimney and dormer, then recoated the entire area.

06/08/2011

Barry G.

We and two other home owners had Alex Greqq work on our steeps. We all had the same problem, our lower steep had cracked and we wanted it built back up. Alex said he would repair them and we would never have a problem again. One home owner's steep cracked before the year was out and he refused to show up for close to a year she had to threaten to take him to court. He did have someone come and fix her steep. A year has passed since the second repair and now all of our steeps are cracking open. We all thought about calling Alex back but we have seen the pain and anguish one has to go through just to get him back and you we'll end up with cracked steeps again.

Description of Work
Remove the crumbling steep around the banister, build it back up with rebar and cement, paint it to match the rest of the steeps.

Category masonry

The truth as I remember is that these stoops where not made of cement but fiberglass the kind they spray on over base cement I told them that I had not repaired that type before and the lady, a very nice lady, did call me about a year later and it was right in the middle of four jobs but I did return and redo the work for free I also did the roofs of some of these very poorly built houses and no one that I did had any problem as a matter of fact I have never got a call from the person that wrote this reveiw im not a mind reader and it,s a little late now anyway why this was writtin I will leave up to those who read it it look,s to me like I was hung with out a trial.

05/28/2011

Joanne M.

He was very personable. He had some issues with punctuality. His selling was great but his punctuality was not great. His men showed up but every time when he was supposed to be here, he didn't show up. He had issues with his vehicle and I was trying to be grateful because that's not necessarily anybody's fault. The work seems to be good and we don't have any questions about that. The work was still been done but they kept saying when I questioned, that I had to wait for him. I do not like him because it's frustrating when you don't get a response. I would say that, it's not that you can use them but you just need to be prepared to be patient for making your second choice. The work was good but I don't know about the price because my husband agreed to hire him without getting another estimate. They cleaned up and did a good job.

Description of Work
Alex Gregg Home Improvement came out in September last year for exterior water proofing and he also tarred the roof at my home.

Category roofing, basement waterproofing

I think I remember this job the husband is a police officer if im right I was having trouble with the truck I was using at the time but I dont remember anyone saying anything about me not being there im there most all the time in fact my son and me personly did the roof work it was leaking so far I have not got a call that it,s leaking or anything.As I recall these were very nice people both of them im so sorry to hear now at such a late date it,s over a year if you think I was not paying attention im sorry if I did it was not my intent.Thank you

05/05/2011

Christina F.

They did the work they said they were going to do, and the price was good. I would use them again in the future if necessary.

Description of Work
I used Alex Gregg Home Improvement to do roofing work for me.

01/24/2011

Alan C.

I called Mr. Gregg to look for the cause of some water damage in the wall of my building. He determined that the cause was due to holes which had been drilled in the process of installing a fence, and said he could repair it properly for $2,500.00. I gave him permission to do this, and he did. He then called to say that the real cause was something else, and had drilled a series of holes in the side of the building without having my permission. Further, he had gone ahead with more work, only informing me after the fact, and produced a bill for an additional $7,300.00. I felt pressured to pay him, and unfortunately I did so. He promised to return to complete the job with "thurolastic" coating, but has not done so. I also requested his tax ID number to provide to the government, as I am required to do based on IRS regulations. He has failed to provide his tax ID number. This was an awful experience, which cost thousands of unmerited dollars, and is still incomplete.

Description of Work
Mr. Gregg drilled holes in the side of my building without my permission, and decided that the building needed a sealant. He proceeded without my permission, and then issued a bill charging $8,800.00 for these "services". He promised to return to complete the job, but since I made the mistake of paying him, he has not returned.

Category concrete repair, handyman service, masonry, roofing, stucco, foundation repair

I have never did a job of anykind with out permission and a signed contract I tryed contacting this lady last month to let her know the weather was to cold to apply the thurolastic to the wall and that we would come the first sign of a dry warmer day.She refused to talk to me I will try calling again I think she may have me confused with someone else.I will get in touch with you again and I am glad to do what I said to the wall.

01/20/2011

Hannah L.

On one hand, the work is often good when it?s finally done. On the other hand, his prices are outrageous. However, they really messed up the last job and they charged me to fix it. They did the last job, but they somehow made it water permeable in the way it wasn?t before. I am not quite sure as to what happened. They took out the old and cracked concrete. They were then supposed to replace it with new concrete as well as lay brick pavers on the top. Somehow it was not waterproof by the time they finished and there was a rainstorm. It leaked through the wall and damaged a newly laid wooden floor. So I called them back. They came out and dug down the waterproofed wall and all that was being done for much more money. It seems waterproofed now although there is one spot on the wall where somehow water has come in. Mr. Gregg who is the owner now works with his son. He has a whole bunch of people working under him who are Hispanics and they don?t speak much English and he leaves them on their own. He is not there, which I think is probably not a good idea. They basically charged me to fix the damage. They told me that they had to do the other things that they hadn?t done before, which was true. So I paid for it, but I wasn?t happy. It was in the midst of a construction and it had to be fixed immediately, but I wouldn?t go back to him again. Some of the work done by them was good and some of it wasn?t. Their responsiveness was good. If the main man is not there, then I don?t care how nice the other person you left behind is.

Description of Work
I used the services of Alex Gregg Home Improvement either in October or November. They had to take out the old concrete and repave a back patio. He does concrete work, masonry, roof work and so on.

Category concrete repair, masonry, roofing, hardscaping

I am truly supprised.

12/23/2010

Corinne Z.

They were good, very helpful and knowledgeable. He owes me just one thing. After we paid him, he was going to do one add-on and he never did it.

Description of Work
Alex Gregg Home Improvement did some work for me about two months ago.

Please let me know what it is I'm to do and I will be glad to do it,I never heard of what your saying.Thank you.

12/18/2010

Cristobal C.

they were very responsive with an estimate that was significantly lower than what I had previously. They came to look at the problem, so I was more confident that they knew that they were doing. They arrived on time and performed the work quickly,e fficiently and with a minimum of fuss

Description of Work
repair of cornice of building

09/18/2010

MARJORIE M.

He wanted to do the entire project and I needed it done in steps. He was good. He gave a good estimate.

Description of Work
He gave an estimate for tuck pointing, a sidewalk, and brownstone repair.

09/13/2010

ALAN L.

It was a very big job. We live in an old brownstone. He took down the wooden cornice, and had it replicated in the shop and installed a new wooden cornice. He repaired and sealed slate tiles on the roof as well. Alex Gregg was the 3rd person I hired to come and work on the roof and wooden cornice. He was punctual. They did a great job in replicating the cornice. He was very accessible whenever I needed to get in touch with him. I thought he was a bit pricey, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to others.

Description of Work
He replaced a wood cornice and did some roofing repair.

Thank you for the possitive report.Alex

09/05/2010

Hannah L.

The workers (only occasionally supervised by owner or his son) were pleasant and worked steadily, if slowly. The work was well-done, although it dragged on longer than predicted. Mr. Gregg is very knowledgeable. The price was VERY high, but I paid it because I felt confident that the multiple jobs were being done well and that Mr. Gregg took responsibility for what was done.

Description of Work
Relaid patio and garden paths Sealed back wall of house (bricks) Repaired faulty roof sealing Pumped stabilizing foam into failing metal roof cornice Had new roof hatch cover made

Category concrete repair, masonry, roofing

08/12/2010

Cassandra B.

He failed to call back with an estimate.

Description of Work
He came out and looked over the job which was the re-cementing of the sidewalk and redoing of the stoop.

Category concrete repair, handyman service

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THIS PERSON IS TALKING ABOUT IT MAKES NO SENSE

03/31/2010

Dana W.

The experience was fine. I was satisfied with the quote.

Description of Work
He gave me an estimate on repairing the roof. I'm still making the decision of who to go with.

Thanks Member for your possitive report see you soon

02/09/2010

Linda S.

The guy came when he said he would even though the weather was bad. He provided estimates and he provided detailed information on why he was estimating it the way he was and answered all the questions. When he came, he continued to work on the site until the work was completed even though there was a little bad weather in between. We did get the work completed within an appropriate schedule for the weather. He himself and his staff were courteous. I actually had him preparing the roof for my aunt in New York. This was all remote for me. He was very courteous and she was pleased to have them in her house. All the workmen were courteous and they cleaned up after themselves with as least disruption to her as it could possibly be. They were doing the roof for a brownstone. He hasn't completely finished some spots of work on my roof. The seal that has to be been put down wasn't done and I am waiting for him to come back to complete those spots. I called him and I expect that he has to wait for the weather to get better to come back and complete the work. He was a little bit more expensive than the couple of the other estimates I got. I have to call him back and make sure that he comes back and finishes what he has to fix and if that all turns out well, I would be happy to use him if I have more work to do.

Description of Work
The home improvement company came out in December and repaired my roof.

12/27/2008

Christina F.

I am grateful that I relied on Angie's List to find a roofer. We received lower estimates, but given our experience with other contractors in the past, we really wanted someone who would stand by his work. Mr. Gregg and his crew did just that, and we are grateful.

Description of Work
I submitted the report previously regarding the damage to our floors. He did indeed hire a crew to refinish our floor. Unfortunately, our floors are oriented in such a way that the entire floor had to be refinished-not just the area where the stain occurred. The floor looks better than ever, and the roof hasn't leaked since he finished his repair.

Category roofing, floor cleaning

THANK YOU. IF I CAN HELP IN THE FUTURE LET ME KNOW. ALEX

08/21/2008

Lothar O.

The job progressed very well. During the estimate Alex referred me to another job in the neighborhood he had done, so I could check out his work before committing. Alex worked within my schedule, and started within a few days of accepting the estimate. His crew was great! Very clean and respectful of our needs. A few times they did not show up when promised due to weather and problems on another job. All over the delays were no more than a week. The crew suggested that I would accent the front yard concrete work with brownstone steps and edge, which turned out to be a great touch. I procrastinated for 12 years on this necessary job, and the result is stunning! A leak in the roof during the first thunderstorm after the roof was done was promptly fixed by Alex. He also accepted - even encouraged me to use - credit card payments, which almost earned me a domestic frequent flier trip. The crew also finished a smaller stoop job for a neighbor while they were out here.

Description of Work
New rubberized roof, skylight replaced, brick facade cleaned and re-pointed, cornice repainted, new treads on stoops, new concrete and planting area in front yard.

Category concrete repair, masonry, roofing, skylights, house painters

04/09/2008

Peter F.

Alex Gregg was a pleasure to deal with from start to finish. He was low key even when we got delayed two weeks waiting for Landmarks permission. He used subcontractors for the brownstone work, but he and his son were on site everyday overseeing the work. When not on site, he was always available by phone and careful to tell me when he was going to be out of town for a few days so I didn't worry. The subs were excellent craftsmen, too. They did very neat work and cleaned up everyday, hosing off the sidewalk and sweeping the front of house. Entire work took about two weeks start to finish. His work is guaranteed and he'll be back in a month to give it all an acid wash to clean the new work after it has cured. I have nothing but praise for them and would use Alex Gregg again in a minute. He's not the cheapest at all, but you get what you pay for in terms of the quality of work and the customer service.

Description of Work
I contracted Alex Gregg to rebuild the lintels, sills, and front steps of my townhouse. His subcontractors rebuilt the sills and lintels on five windows and the lintel and front door steps all to Landmark specifications. They also repainted window guards, and applied a Thoroseal coat to front area way and understoop area. He also repointed and added weeps to a masonry planter in the backyard.

Category masonry, replacement windows, interior painters

AGAIN THANKS FOR RECOMMENDING ME.

04/09/2008

Peter F.

Alex Gregg was doing other masonry work on my house and noticed the roof needed some attention. (These were issues I was aware of but hadn't dealt with yet, so I knew he wasn't just trying to find more work.) He and his son patched worn areas on the roof and painted the whole black rubber roof with a silver metallic paint, (which the original roofing contractor should have done when they redid the roof two years ago, but they didn't.) The quality of work was good and fast. I'm sure it's not the cheapest but you get what you pay for in terms of quality and customer service. I'd recommend them for any roofing or masonry job.

Description of Work
Alex Gregg patched worn areas of my townhouse roof and coated the hole with a metalized silver paint.

Category roofing, house painters

THE MEMBER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ME GETTING A LOT MORE WORK IN THE VILLAGE AND I WANT TO SAY THANKS.

11/27/2007

NORA M.

Alex and his men were simply a pleasure to work with. Professional, polite, and punctual - they did a first-rate job on all aspects of this extensive project. The crew worked steadily throughout the day, cleaned up each day before leaving, and appeared to take pride in doing a careful, complete job. Alex oversaw every detail of the job, was in touch by phone on a daily basis, and was actually at the work site almost every day.

Description of Work
Pointing 3 family house (entire front and back in addition to front stoop), with spot pointing/repair of sides of house. Removal/repair/replacement of rear parapet walls with sealing of gaps retaining water. Repair of all roof flashings and roof where needed, with application of rubberized aluminum roof coating to entire roof on house, and also on rear garage roof. Resetting of parapet stones, and terracotta tile on parapets. Application of waterproof sealer (Chem-Trete) to house walls.

Category concrete repair, masonry, roofing

I'M SORRY I HAVE NOT RESPONDED TO THIS SOONER.I HAVE NOT LOOKED IN A WHILE. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE REVIEW.

05/02/2007

STEVE Z.

It went remarkably well. Alex was always available by phone. His workers were prompt polite and skilled. They accommodated me with special requests. The got the job done quickly. If anything was forgotten or if there was any problem with any of the work they came right back and fixed it. This was an expensive job and I think it was executed with a high degree of professionalism. Additionally, Alex was a pleasure to deal with.

Description of Work
Exterior Brownstone resurfacing, removing and replacing the concrete front "yard", fixing large holes in the brick in the back of the building that were made by another contractor who installed an Iron deck.

Category concrete repair, masonry

I RECENTLY BECAME AWARE OF THESE REVIEWS. THANK YOU FOR THE VERY POSITIVE REVIEW.

02/08/2006

JODY A.

THIS COMPANY WAS EXCELLENT. THEY WERE VERY EXPENSIVE, BUT THE QUALITY OF WORK WAS VERY GOOD AND THEY WERE RESPONSIBLE. I HAD GOTTEN OTHER ESTIMATES, BUT I DIDN'T HAVE CONFIDENCE WITH THE OTHER COMPANIES, WHICH IS WHY I CHOSE THIS ONE.

Description of Work
THEY REPLACED AND REPAIRED THE BRICKS AND PUT SEVERAL COATS ON TOP OF THE BRICKS FOR THE FRONT OF OUR HOME.

Approved Chimney LLC

Approved Chimney was established by Vick Jakupi to provide outstanding service to both residential and commercial clients with all their chimney needs. Starting out more than 11 years ago his experience and expertise has earned him the credentials from CSIA (Chimney Safety institute of America). Acquiring the proper licenses and certifications has put his business at the highest level in chimney services. At Approved Chimney we believe in the highest customer satisfaction when concerning all chimney needs. From the annual sweeping to the most enhanced relining or rebuilding of chimneys in New Jersey area. All of our technicians are trained and Certified Liner installers and work closely with the home owners in understanding of step by step procedures of the work taking place.

Roy Targia Masonry

Roy got his start over 25 years ago as a member of the local Masons Union. He quickly rose through the ranks demonstrating his abilities as a craftsman as a masonry contractor. Although working in the Union was both rewarding and a decent living, Roy wanted to work on more creative projects. Such projects were not presented to him through his local union shop. Eventually his creative spirit won over his practical side, and he left the Union behind to strike out on his own as a small business owner. Roy and his clients quickly realized his ability as an old world mason with an eye for detail. Targia strives to attain old-world craftsmanship through the application of new-world methods, implementing both technology and technique to meet the client’s needs. In this, the foundation of our philosophy is born “The most important foundation we build is the relationships with our clients”. His ability to manage projects and to over deliver time and time again, is how Roy Targia Masonry and Custom Outdoor Living has been able to build a thriving masonry business in New Jersey. Masonry contractor New Jersey contact masonrybyroy.com. There is no job too big or too small for Targia’s team. Additional DBA - RoyTargiaMasonry.com.

Ryan & Son Chimneys

As an industry leader Bill Ryan has served on Boards of Directors for the past 17 years and is a Nationwide instructor of Chimney Inspections, chimney repair and chimney related technical classes. Ryan and Son Chimneys is a full service chimney company specializing in Chimney inspection (level 1, 2 and 3) chimney and fireplace restoration, chimney liners, caps, repairs, installations. Fireplace, wood and pellet stove installations. Pellet, gas and wood appliance service. Consulting, expert witness and hearth and chimney design services.

Check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover

Rubber roofing, sidewalk & cement work, pointing, water proofing, modified roofing, tear offs. rubberized, aluminum, & silicone roof coating, facade refinishing, brownstone refinishing, exterior painting, repairing & painting of cornices, flat roofs, brick walls, paraplet wall repaired, hot tar built-up roofing & installations.