Bob Oliver Heating & Air Conditioning

With Angi since December 2011

3.2

Heating and Air...

Aspen Aire Heating and Cooling Inc

Locally owned & operated. Service charge of $89 applies. 10% discount to Angie's List members.

Service Legends Heating & Cooling

Service Legends has a staff of 50 ready to assist you when you need help. We use Straight Forward Pricing so you always know to the penny what your service will cost up front. Our State of Iowa Licence number is #00071.

Des Moines Comfort, Inc.

We are a full service HVAC company offering service and installation on furnaces, air conditioners, boilers, geothermal, and water heaters. We also perform premier duct cleaning services along with boiler water quality testing and treatment. Des Moines Comfort, Inc. has been the metro's leader in Geothermal and Radiant Floor Heating service and installation for over 13 years. We offer yearly service agreements and service the entire metro and surrounding areas.

02/27/2018

Peter R.

Our experience with Bob was so bad that I have to come on here and add more...I wish I would have done more homework on this guy. He's ended up costing us hundreds more (possibly thousands - we'll find out tomorrow). He's a "friend of a friend" and he installed a new AC and Heater in a rental unit my brother and I own. I paid in full, immediately. But like previous reviews Bob did not complete the MidAmerican rebate paperwork in a timely fashion. Over the course of MONTHS I called him and emailed him - to no avail. Finally, we called him every 5 minutes until he picked up...took about 5 attempts. He promised he would fill out the paperwork and send it in, but after another month we had nothing and no communication from Bob. Finally, after about a total of 4 months I connected with a newly hired admin. She said that they had the paperwork completed (and apologized, to her credit), but they just hadn't submitted it. After 6 months we finally got our rebate. But it gets better...we started having issues with our brand new heater. So we called Bob to let him know and he scheduled a time with the tenant to come out. He never called us back or returned our phone calls to let us know what he did to the heater. Our tenants let us know that they were still having an issue so we called Bob again. Again he went out and "did something," but did not tell us what he did. The 3rd time the tenants let us know that the heater was still not working properly we called Bob and he said, "I don't do business with you." I let him know that he cashed a check with our names on it and we've been talking to him the entire time. He said, "I don't know about that. But I don't do business with you." Totally fine with us. He's incompetent at best. We ended up calling Holt (GREAT COMPANY!) and within 4 hours they provided me with more information than Bob did in months. The short version - Holt let us know that replacing parts was just a waste of time - the unit was fine. That particular unit probably should have never been installed given our house's exhaust system (which Bob should have been well aware of). So in the end, it's costing us more (a lot more) to get the house heated properly and we will never use Bob Oliver again.

Description of Work
Replace heater and air-conditioner

06/13/2016

kelsey L.

One of our worst experiences occurred with Bob Oliver Heating and Cooling. We used them back in April to fix our air conditioner $600 later our air conditioner was still making the same noise. Had them come back last Thursday, it wasn’t cooling. The technician was on the phone with someone else telling him what to do the entire time. Took our air conditioner apart and then told us our compressor was bad, $150-$200 fix. He also told is that their would likely be something else wrong that would need to be fixed and would need a full Freon charge and would end up costing us a minimum total of around $500. From this statement I think he knew their was a leak and was just trying to get extra money from us by saying compressor was bad. We didn’t have this guy do anything with the air conditioner and got a second opinion from Bell Brothers. They came out and looked at it the same day, three hours later. Informed us that the guy from Bob Oliver’s put only 2 screws back that holds the cover on to the compressor and left the screws all over the ground. He also informed us that Bob Oliver’s technician wired it wrong when he put it back together and the guy from Bell Brothers was Shocked that he did this. We also found a cap to what holds the Freon thrown on the top of our garage, this is all very scary due to the fact that we have kids and one of them could have been hurt form the neglect. The Diagnostic from Bell Brother was actually a leak in the tube where the Freon runs and was fixed that night. The compressor was fine. Our air conditioner is running now. Bob Oliver, either gave us the wrong diagnoses because they wanted our money or didn’t know what they were doing. Also when you call around and compare their prices they are a lot more than other company’s. Lastly, when you call about a concern the receptionist Crystal will argue with you and not listen to what you say and says, “I stand behind my guys work”. Therefore even if they mess up they will not take responsibility for it. DO NOT GO THROUGH BOB OLIVER THEY ARE THEY WORST AND THEY ALSO DON’T STAND BEHIND THEIR WORK.

01/05/2015

Joe S.

Overall we were pleased with their service.

Description of Work
Installed a new HVAC system.

03/28/2014

Mark H.

All were done on time and at the price quoted. A couple of minor mishaps occurred on two different times on one of the projects. Both times Bob's tech came out the same day to fix the problem. I'm very satisfied doing business with this company and working with Bob directly.

Description of Work
I've called on Bob Oliver for three projects totaling about $12K.

01/09/2014

michael G.

The diagnostics were completed and found smart valve seemed to be leaking at pilot, causing gas spike each start up. Also, a small level of combustion gas found coming out of registers - suspected leaky heat exchanger. I later confirmed the exchanger had cracks in it, so the diagnostics were accurate. Great job! Based off this information I definitely decided to purchase a new furnace. This appt was moved back 1/2 hour at time twice due to an emergency call for another customer. I told them when I scheduled the appt what I wanted done, and what Bob had talked about, but the estimate was $88 for the checkup from receptionist. Then tech was to tell me the cost for anything over and beyond as he checked furnace. Diagnostics were complete and final bill presented to be $265 (surprising), for hooking up gages. No parts were repaired or replaced. So I had to call back to Bob then agree to a fair price in between. So the billing issue was worked out in the end to my satisfaction. Thanks. My suggestion: Do be clear on the phone w/ what exactly the estimate is and what it covers.. Review estimate w/ technician when they arrive before work is started to avoid confusion.

Description of Work
Diagnostic Furnace service. Bob had come out to provide furnace estimate, and observed some issues wrong, raw gas smell on exhaust of furnace, short cycle time, that required diagnostics, which he said they could do. I called the next day for a service appt to check those items.

01/09/2014

michael G.

I bid multiple contractors. Bob estimated both Rheem and Trane products. I called a big box store for a quote based on their display, and Bob was the associated provider. Bob provide a detailed and comprehensive quote. He provided estimated savings with the new system, which others did not do. I didn't get as quick response from an email as I would have liked, and it didn't have quotes of other things I needed. At year end, the quote included the Midamerican rebate for 2013 in it, as he would send it in, but in 2014 the rebates are dramatically increasing. Estimate for everything was $8000-$10000 range. While the base price was competitive for furnace and a/c, the lack of the 2014 SAVE rebate made the whole package non competitive after rebates. So I went with another provider. Bob quoted a Trane clean effects air cleaner, but I didn't want one that emitted even the low level of ozone. Otherwise, the base air filter quoted was merv 8 to 11, but I wanted a higher rating. Also, the clean effects requires periodic vacuuming of the elements.

Description of Work
Came over to provide a free estimate of complete HVAC system, furnace, a/c, air purifier, UV lights and humidifier.

12/27/2013

Mark W.

Installed HVAC and hot water heater. After install several service calls were required to fix issues on all products purchased.

Description of Work
I used BOB OLIVER HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING

10/02/2013

Kim K.

Mr. Oliver came to my daughter's house to look it over for a new HVAC. He was very nice, on time, explained things well and came to my house the next day to sit down with my husband and I. He explained things to my husband and was very knowledgeable. At this point we have not decided which way to go.

Description of Work
Bob came and gave us a quote for new HVAC.

05/13/2013

deanna K.

The owner named Bob was the one who came out and gave me the estimate after talking to me a couple of times on the phone and he was very accessible. They were an excellent company to work with.

Description of Work
I use Bob Oliver Heating & Air Conditioning for heating and air conditioning. I last used them for a one year follow up.

12/29/2012

Christopher R.

Bob was punctual. The work was explained and done on schedule. He even came christmas day to fix the heating unit. VERY reliable and professional. He seems very knowledgeable and a family man, looking for doing the job right, rather than just a quick fix and collect money. We will be working with him in the future.

Description of Work
Replaced furnace

Bob Oliver Heating & Air Conditioning

With Angi since December 2011

3.2

115 12th St

West Des Moines, IA 50265

Residential and commercial air conditioning & heating, ducts, heat pumps, hot water heaters, lighting, insulation, fireplaces, boilers, showers, gas lines & logs.

MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Check, Discover