Crippen Woodworks

Founded 2001 • With Angi since February 2009

5885 Musket Ln

Stone Mountain, GA 30087

Family owned carpentry company specializing in higher end custom work. We offer full custom, all wood cabinets (no particle board or MDF) including but not limited to full kitchen renovations. We also build outdoor spaces. Because we are all detail oriented craftsmen our decks/porches are built using only the best materials available, to standards that are well above the norm....

05/17/2020

Glen D.

Great company to work with. The owner Charlie showed me ways to save money while providing top quality results. His guys were professional and true craftsmen. Would highly recommend them to anyone who wants quality work at a reasonable price. I would hire them again without hesitation.

Description of Work
Rebuild Deck

Category decks, garage builders

09/16/2019

Laura G.

I cannot recommend Charlie and his team highly enough. They were fantastic. Not only do I have a porch that is beautiful, but working with them was great. I've had a lot of contractors and Charlie is, by far, the most responsive and communicative I have ever dealt with. I just referred him to my parents to do some work for them. You won't go wrong with Crippen.

Description of Work
A second-story screened porch built.

Category decks, woodworking

07/08/2019

Andrea S.

The entire team was absolutely fantastic. We got to Crippen via a recommendation from another contractor. Charlie Crippen came out and unlike others we had interviewed, was very open to what we were envisioning and spoke passionately about his "craft" - which they are... craftsmen. The entire team was absolutely fantastic. Very welcoming while I was nosing around. What was most amazing was the amount of handwork they put in. The sanded EVERY piece of wood and hand sculpted the railing tops. The covered every joist to ensure that they would not be affected by rain. My husband and I watched the laborers measure and re-measure every piece for an exact fit - passing a calculator back and forth to confirm it. The end result is that the decks are beautiful and WAY better than I expected when we first planned the project. Below are before and after photos. PS - he was also very competitively priced.

Description of Work
We had two decks replaced

Category decks

12/23/2015

Windsor A.

I contacted Crippen Woodworks for help with a custom built-in bed for a room in my 1930's-era home. Charlie Crippen responded quickly to my call, and he came to my home within a day or two of initial contact to measure the space and consult with me regarding what I wanted. He used pictures I showed him and rough drawings I had made to create a final design that would work in my space. His estimate to build the bed was high but also fair given my requested fast timeframe and the custom nature of the job. Once hired, Charlie completed the project on time and on budget and his work was beautiful. I would definitely hire him again.

Description of Work
Designed and constructed a custom built-in bed with cabinet surround.

Category custom cabinets, remodeling, woodworking

02/06/2015

Gray S.

I got him out of a referral from the neighborhood. He does high-end kitchens and high-end decks. He is very, very good. You get your monies worth. The deck work was done about a year ago and the frame display was installed about two months ago. I'd have that guy back in a heartbeat. He is phenomenal. The frame display was about $8000 or $10000. What really stood out was the quality. He is the best.

Description of Work
Charlie did my deck. I'm in the eye care business and he built a custom-made frame display.

Category custom cabinets, decks, deck cleaning, woodworking

09/16/2014

Kathleen F.

I contacted Charlie early spring to assess the work that needed to be done. His assessment of my problem was spot on and his solution to the problem was correct. There were some scheduling problems and work was delayed. In interim I contacted other companies 2 companies never responded to my initial contact one did and they had no idea of what they were doing. Charlie and I were able to reconnect and schedule the job. The work was superior, the professionalism was outstanding. Their attention to detail was above and Beyond. They repaired an outstanding siding item that was not part of their original job. The finish work was outstanding and any questions I had were answered and addressed immediately. Last but not least the clean up was outstanding never would have known they were there. I would recommend Crippen Woodworks anytime.

Description of Work
Replaced rotting beam on exterior roof replaced exterior support posts added new insulation and replaced ceiling

Category insulation, woodworking

06/25/2014

Miriam D.

Generally, it went well. There were some unanticipated problems, such as,the need to install piers because of poor soil. The detail was well done. The workers put in a full day and were very responsive to questions.

Description of Work
Removed a deck. Built a screened porch

Category decks, woodworking

06/16/2014

Kathleen W.

Our experience with Crippen Wordworks was a disaster and I caution any potential victims of this company. Mr. Crippen is highly unprofessional and dishonest and dragged us along for almost 2 months until just recently backing out on us completely after providing us with both a verbal and wirtten commitment (I have all of the e mails as proof). We are expecting a baby in October and now that Mr. Crippen lied to us for 2 months, we likely won't be able to do the work at all. We found Crippen Wordworks on Angie's list back in April 2014. We made an appointment with Mr. Crippen which he did not show up for because he "forgot". I wish we would have just been done with him then but he was so highly recommended on AL, we gave it another shot. He did show up, on time, spent at least 45 mins with us and told us we would have an estimate within a few days - that took 10 days. On 5/10/14, before we went on vacation, we told Mr. Crippen in writing that we wanted to go with him after agreeing upon a price. On 5/13/14, received the following note from Mr. Crippen: "Just wanted to drop you a line and let you know you are on my urgent to do list and I am plowing through it. I have not work out June's schedule yet and intend to save you a spot. I should be able to be more specific by weeks end". We were then given a timeline of 3rd or 4th week in June as he was waiting on someone who did not have their finances in order. To be fair, when we spoke with him in April, we agreed that we wouldn't start the work until June. so this was not a suprise to us. On 6/11/14 (almost 2 months after our first meeting), he spoke with my husband and said he was having trouble finding a stone guy but that we should have drawings from him by the end of the week and likely begin work the first week in July. We were very relieved and excited to finally start the work. About 3 hours later, I received the following e mail: "After speaking with [your husband] today I started to lay out everything on my schedule and I am simply trying to do to much. If you can find a contractor to handle the renovation portion I will be happy to build the cabinets but I can not take on the rest of the renovation at this time. Of course if you find a contractor there is a good chance he will have a cabinet guy he likes to work with which is totally understandable. I wish it had not taken so long for me to come to this conclusion as I know I have inadvertently jerked you guys around in the process. I am sure you are frustrated and rightfully so, I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience I have caused. Please let me know if and how you wish to move forward. " If Mr. Crippen would have told us in April that he was unable to do the work, we would have tried to find someone else. We don't go back on our word with people we hire to do work in our home so once we had an agreement with Mr. Crippen, we shut off all conversations with other vendors. In short, don't waste your time with an unprofessional and dishonest organization such as this one - I can't believe an organization such as this can even be listed on AL. I would never recommend even calling them - as they may just string you along for months like they did us. I am just thankful we didn't give him any money!

Description of Work
Redo built ins and fireplace, install some lighthing and painting.

Category woodworking

I in fact made an honest mistake of committing to more work than we have the resources to handle. As soon as I realized it would be impossible for us to effectively execute everything on our schedule I was up front with the client and owned my mistake. It is unfortunate and highly inconvenient for the customer that I did not realize this error earlier, but it would have been dishonest and unprofessional to start a job we could not finish in a timely manner. No money changed hands because I never take a check until I am actively committing resources to a project. I have learned from my mistake and will be very selective and clear about my commitments as we navigate our best and busiest year in business to date.

04/28/2014

Michael A.

I could tell that Charlie has a lot of experience with all levels of carpentry, and I wouldn't hesitate to use him on my next project.

Description of Work
Charlie came out to give me a quote on building stairs, and he gave me one that was very good, detailed, etc. But, the best thing was that he took the time to talk out alternatives with me, and ultimately ended up giving me advice for a different type of stairs that I'll probably end up building myself and saving some money.

03/19/2014

Jonathan B.

Working with Charlie and his group was a pleasure from start to finish. He was punctual in his appointments and called ahead in plenty of time if any conflict arose. He had strong communication skills and a great eye for detail, allowing us to design and install custom cabinetry in my daughter's room that looks like it has always belonged there in our house. His assistants were equally professional and did an excellent job cleaning up when the job was complete. When the work was done, we were left with a beautiful set of cabinets and no other sign that his team had been there all day.

Description of Work
Charlie and his assistants built a customized set of bookshelves over cabinets with a window seat for my daughter's room. He also built and installed medicine cabinets for several of our bathrooms.

01/08/2014

Kendrick C.

Had a staff change and refunded my purchase. Great customer service.

Description of Work
Had a staff change and refunded my purchase. Great customer service.

Category home remodeling

01/03/2014

Mary Jo M.

This was our second contract with Crippen Woodworks. Again, estimate was spot on, quality of work excellent and professional attitude from Charlie and his crew was greatly appreciated. Meticulous with great attention to detai and they clean up every day! Treat your home like your home and not a jobsite. Very refreshing and quite a different experience from other contractors we have engaged. We will use Crippen Woodworks again without hesitation.

Description of Work
Finished basement and installed full bath

01/02/2014

Timothy H.

They were great, but I decided to use another contractor with whom I had worked in the past.

Description of Work
They prepared 3D drawings and estimates for my kitchen remodeling

12/02/2013

Greg W.

All work was done as advertised in a prompt, professional manner. I would recommend them for future work

Description of Work
Crippen Woodworks provided a preliminary kitchen design for me.

Category custom cabinets, home remodeling, cabinet refacing

11/12/2013

SUZANN B.

When I was ready to start my remodel, I pick the top three "A" rating companies on your list. Charlie was number three. As it turned out, I had "saved the best for last". I knew exactly what I wanted and didn't want. It would not be the usual kitchen remodel so I needed someone who could "think out of the box". That's Charlie. Once he heard my ideas, I could almost hear his brain kick into high gear! Within a day or so, I had a rough draft. He came out again, we did a tweak here and there and the game was on. I don't know who was more excited me or Charlie. I had all my appliances and my sink and faucet were on ordered. Charlie referred me to a vendor he uses for countertops. I found the perfect piece of granite. He picked out all the cabinet hardware. It wasn't long before installation day. I'm going to stop here with the details. Here is the bottom line, if I could dance (which I can't) I'd do a jig every time I go in my kitchen! Charlie and his crew gave me everything I ask for and more. Not one thing would I change. Everyone who has been to my home or seen pictures are in awe. Even better, my kitchen will be featured in a BH&G Kitchen and Bath magazine. Thank you Charlie and crew. I giving you a triple "A+".

Description of Work
Kitchen remodel.

Category custom cabinets, woodworking, home remodeling

10/14/2013

Ryan S.

Provider never responded to requests for quotes on cabinet work and crown molding.

09/28/2013

william T.

Very nice, punctual, professional. We had to postpone the kitchen remodel but received the plans for the kitchen which were done to my specifications. The price was average. He also suggested less expensive alternatives if we chose not to use him to build the cabinets as this was a remodel in order to market the house. Very nice and helpful.

Description of Work
Provided plans for kitchen remodel.

08/13/2013

kristin F.

thank you for filtering yourself. we are all busy, courtesy call only takes a few minutes but leaves a lasting impression.

Description of Work
called for an estimate, left voice mail detailing projects including deck, hardi plank siding and door replacements. never heard from him.

Category decks, woodworking, doors

I have gone through my notes and voice mails and cannot find your name. I certainly believe you left a message but I must have inadvertently erased it. Some days there are as many as 20 voice mails in my inbox. I am sorry your call slipped through the cracks. If you still would like an estimate please call or email me. Charlie Crippen

06/28/2013

Laurentia L.

Charlie is fantastic! You would be hard pressed to find a more honest or pleasant guy in this business ( and even outside of it, for that matter) or a better carpenter and contractor. His cabinets are fantastic, but it doesn't stop there. We hired him initially for the cabinets in a secondary bath while using a different contractor, but we ended up hiring his him and his crew for the master bath, due to the excellent rapport we had the first time. While our initial contractor bellyached constantly about lots of small things and tried to get out of dealing with issues he created in the first place, Charlie ever so graciously solved all those problems swiftly and quietly. No "chest thumping", no quest for glory, just excellent, matter of fact service. I absolutely love his team too, Jarrod, Cornel and all the others are just great workers, obsessed with details, fantastic craftsmen. The site was left clean every day, and his men are extremely respectful of your home. If you have an issue with anything during your reno, you can KNOW that it will be resolved without any problem whatsoever. We ended up with a great final product, I love my bath, my cabinets and the new bedroom, I have a master closet to die for, and I am planning to keep Charlie around for the rest of the renovations ( deck and kitchen and whatever else we may come up with). Oh, and the "F" reviews you see on the site are simply from people that he could not reply to, due to his very busy schedule. He really never dismisses anyone, based on what I have seen during my interactions with him, but he is not going to be able to pick up all the projects coming his way. If you want a great team working in your home, call again until you get him, it's worth it! Once you connect with him and he takes you on as a client, he will ALWAYS be there for you, even after finishing the project. Great experience- looking forward for more in the future.

Description of Work
complete renovation of master bath, including removal of bay window and install of new window, renovating master bedroom and sitting room, cabinetry work and install in two bathrooms, new closet build and installation, installing heated floors, frameless shower, new can lights in sitting room, new doors and trim, removal of old built in closet, paint etc

Category custom cabinets, remodeling, replacement windows, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters, doors

06/27/2013

Rick D.

Excellent service. Charlie Crippen came to my house to understand my needs and discuss the project. He asked the right questions to provide a clear estimate. We agreed on the design and installation plan. Charlie came by to pick up the deposit and confirm final details. We booked a date for the installation. Charlie's guys showed up and installed the cabinets in a neat and professional manner. The worker left a clean and neat workspace. I will have them back to do more work and I look forward to working with Crippen Woodworks again.

Description of Work
Custom built cabinet construction and installation.

Category custom cabinets, woodworking

06/09/2013

Leon B.

I tried contacting the provider many times, including calling, voicemail, and e mail. After seeing some of his work, on his site. I fidured I would give him a try, I especially liked the Entertainment stand that he did. After several attempts, I still have not received a response. He could have at least, responded with an e mail of any type. His work does look nice though.

02/15/2013

Scott R.

I called to set up an estimate for a replacement deck and added sunroom.. He asked for dimensions of my deck via email. I did all the measurements and emailed them. He responded with a range. In the meantime I found a picture of the type of screen porch I envisioned and emailed the pictures, within a day or so of getting his estimate. He either had no interested in the job, or couldn't do a fairly simple sunroom, as he never responded again.

Category decks

01/24/2013

SUSAN R.

We are very happy with the work and wouldn't hesitate to call him for another project.

Description of Work
TOTAL KITCHEN REMODEL

Category custom cabinets, remodeling, home remodeling

01/20/2013

John I.

I approached Charlie to help design and built an outdoor cooking and recreation area. He came over several times and we walked around and looked at the job and talked about what I wanted. He did some design and engineering and we came up with a plan and price, which he stuck to even though I know there were some overruns. Charlie and his crew are courteous, professional, skilled craftsmen. I used to build custom homes with an architect who was incredibly detail oriented - a trait I learned. So I was out talking and watching the progress and these guys are really good. Charlie even had small hardware in the structure painted to match the rubbed bronze finish I was using for the fixtures, cabinet handles and ceiling fans. There were a lot of subcontractors - roofing, plumbing, hot tub, electric, concrete etc and he kept on top of everything. Every job has some peculiarities and this one had it's share - Charlie was right on top of everything and made sure it all ended up just right. I wanted some atypical kinds of things, I've always wanted an outdoor shower, a built in electric smoker and I have a 12 foot 2000 pound log burning BBQer that we needed to place (adds up to 3 smoke stacks) and I am partial to wired ethernet. Charlie can work in a custom environment and make everything look great. He is completely trustworthy and personable. I would not hesitate to hire him again. -john

Description of Work
Design and construction of outdoor cooking and recreation area. Pavillion included electric and wood burning BBQs, outdoor shower, hot tub, counter top, cooktop, sink, ceiling fans. All custom woodwork - supports, cabinets, drawers in a 3 sides open structure.

Category countertops, garage builders, woodworking

01/08/2013

Beverly W.

Went well - he arrived on time and was knowledgeable and professional. Wish we could have received the 3-D plan that was included in the $75 promotional offer but he did not ever send it - even after two email reminders. We really apprecaited his time and recommendations though, and used them in our final decisions.

Description of Work
Special offer through Angie's List to perform estimate on kitchen redesign. We were supposed to receive a 3-D layout but never received it. Otherwise, his recommendations were very valuable and helped us make design choices.