Intown Craftsmen

Founded 1997 • With Angi since August 2010

Intown Craftsmen is an award winning, locally owned and operated company. We specialize in renovating, remodeling and handyman services for homes in Atlanta’s Intown Neighborhoods. Our experienced craftsmen are experts in aspects of all homes inside the I-285 perimeter. We use very few subcontractors and are fully insured. Vintage homes are one our many specialties. Please complete our contact page at www.IntownCraftsmen.com for fastest scheduling of a complimentary consultation and estimate. Our owner, Russ Melton, has been serving homeowners since 1983 and his Residential Contractor License is GA #RBQA006292. We proudly serve well over 1,500 happy customers and provide a 60 month warranty on our work. We also have an A+ rating by the Better Business Bureau where we are accredited members. In order to keep costs low and provide the best service possible, we only serve new customers within 20 minutes of our Decatur shop and mid-rises no higher than five floors up from the ground. Areas served include: 30002,30030,30033,30079,30305, 30306,30307,30308,30309,30317, 30319,30322,30324,30326,30327, 30329,30341,30342,30345 Neighborhoods served include Ansley Park, Atkins Park, Avondale Estates, Brookhaven, Buckhead, Candler Park, Chamblee, Decatur, Druid Hills, Eastlake, Edgewood, Emory, Grant Park, Inman Park, Kirkwood, L5P, Lake Claire, Lenox Park, Morningside, North Druid Hills, Oak Grove, Oakhurst, Ormewood Park, Piedmont Heights, Piedmont Park, Poncey Highlands, Scottdale, and Virginia Highlands....

LGBTQ+ FriendlyLGBTQ+ Friendly
Eco FriendlyEco Friendly

Eastlake Dr. in Druid Hills

+2 more images

handyman (114)interior painting (37)home remodeling (33)drywall (25)woodworking (24)roofing (19)electrician (16)flooring (15)general contractors (12)decks & porches (11)house painting (9)lighting (9)

11/06/2020

Michael J.

Used Intown Craftsman to make repairs on our old deck and screen porch. They replaced several weak deck boards and made important safety improvements to the deck structure. They also repaired some old water damage in the ceiling of our screen porch. Deb in their office was great to work with, she went out of her way to keep us informed as the repair work was completed.

Description of Work
Deck and screen porch repairs

Category deck cleaning, garage builders

Work Completed On 11/05/2020

09/28/2020

Chris L.

It was an awful experience. You will notice there are not many new reviews on here, I think Russ has shifted to roof work. I could write a book about all of the stress that working with this company caused me and my wife. By the time we finished our project, I was the general contractor and I worked with the city for all of the final permitting and directly with subcontractors to pay them. Several of the subcontractors threatened liens against our house due to non-payment, and one pulled their permit with the city due to non-payment. I found that out after construction was complete and I was trying to get final permits done myself. Not one person that worked for Russ/Intown Craftsmen when we started, still worked for him by the time our project was done a year later. I think he had 3 different office managers, and his main contractor (Jeff) quit halfway through the project and was not replaced. By the end no subcontractors would take his jobs, because he owed so many people money. Russ’s voicemail was constantly full, to the point I had to come by his office to talk to him because he was unreachable. The reason I made that personal visit to his guitar store was that I learned that he told the roofing subcontractor to overcharge me to help cover the balance of what he was owed for another job. I was furious. Soon after I then found out that the original electricians, Bray Electrical, would not finish their work due to a "legal dispute with Intown Craftsmen". He quoted that the project would take 13 weeks, it literally took 14 months. There were many low points, but I knew we were in big trouble when our workers said they couldn't get approval to purchase $150 of materials at Home Depot to continue their work. At that point, I started to pay for materials directly instead of paying give Russ money to continue. I needed to be sure every dime I paid went to my project. He was obviously in financial trouble. I should have known we were in trouble from the beginning, after we gave him our deposit and secured permits, it took 2 months before he started work. Then once the first crew started, he pulled them for another job, and promised he had a “better crew” that was going to start soon. Then once that second crew started, one of the guys quit. Then for the next 8 months there were only two workers (they were great) at our house every day. He did pull them off occasionally, like the time he told me he gave all his staff Christmas-New Year off. Only to find out they were helping to build his new guitar shop during that time. I could go on and on, and I am sure Russ will have some sort of reply saying that I am a disgruntled customer. Just please take my advice and don't use him. My project ended up being a fantastic addition but it was because Christian and Pedro (the two main workers) did a great job, and I worked my *** off helping to get everything done. Russ also says he has a 5 year guarantee that he will come back and fix anything that is wrong with the project he worked on. I have a feeling that also makes a lot of people who might want to write bad reviews think twice. It's almost been a year since he did my project, and I just finally decided it's time to write this. I regret waiting this long.

Description of Work
2nd level addition/ remodel

Category remodeling, roofing, garage builders, home remodeling

Work Completed On 10/01/2019

There is so much misinformation in this review. The project is beautiful as he indicated with the A Quality rating. Customer was a handful with our subs and constantly paid them under the table to do other work in the home at our expense. We finished the project with quality and enthusiasm even after he failed to pay us all we were owed.

05/27/2020

Walter R.

I contacted them on 5/4/20 to get an estimate and the owner stopped by the house on 5/7. We spent about 30 minutes discussing the project and he said would get an estimate to me by 5/11. Then, crickets for more than a week. I contacted the office via email and got an immediate response that Russ would contact me soon and, then, crickets again. I'm at 16 days beyond the promised estimate with nothing to show for it. I don't know if a $3,000 job was too small for them, but they don't seem very reliable. I would not waste the time scheduling an estimate until they can keep their word with their potential customers.

Description of Work
I wanted to get a screened in patio, with new fans installed, and staining for our deck)

Category decks, garage builders

Work Completed On 05/27/2020

We are so sorry that we have not been able to give our usual stellar service to this customer. Thankfully, we are ramping back quickly to normal but it's been a rough several weeks. Due to Covid, over half our staff has been out including our administrative staff and our owner has been having to do the job of multiple people. In addition, our owner has been and is currently still ill with a root canal and infection that has caused him to be behind in his estimates. I have worked for this company three years and this is highly unusual for our company! We sincerely apologize for the delay.-Deb

02/13/2020

Alaina A.

Very pleased with service. They were able to fit me into their schedule in a timely manner and kept me informed as to the nature of the problem and the work required to repair. No problems and I would use them again.

Description of Work
I had a roof leak that they were able to quickly diagnose and repair.

Category handyman service, roofing

Work Completed On 01/17/2020

Thank you for your kind words. It was a pleasure to serve you! - Russ

12/28/2019

Jennifer V.

This was my second time hiring Intown Craftsmen, and the experience was very poor compared to the first time. --First, Russ didn't show up for my first appointment with him, and I had to request that it be rescheduled myself; no one reached out to me about it. Russ did show up the next day (a Friday) and seemed attentive and interested in the projects I showed him. He said he'd send me the quote the following Monday. I sent three follow-up emails (late Monday evening, a week later, and again about 6 weeks later), and I never received a quote. Deb replied to the first two emails saying she'd follow up, and I never received a reply to the third email. Since I had been so pleased with the quality of the work the first time I hired them, I decided to give it another try a few months later. Since it had been so long and there was no quote, they had to send out another person. Stefan did show up as scheduled, but once again, I did not receive a quote. Evidently Stefan was ill, but no one from the office reached out to tell me -- I had to follow up myself. Rather than send a third person out for a quote, the staff put together a quote based on Stefan's notes, without having seen the place in person. Unfortunately, this resulted in an error -- I wanted to install a vent fan in my bathroom, but the people who created the quote didn't realize that I didn't already have a fan in the bathroom, so they gave a price based on replacing a fan rather than adding a new one. The true cost was understandably much higher than the quoted cost given the discrepancy, but it was frustrating that I had spoken at length with both Russ and Stefan about the scope of the project, and that hadn't been properly communicated when the quote was created. We ended up cancelling that part of the project on the day of the work since I hadn't been able to budget for the true cost. I had already purchased a fan based on Russ's (much much earlier!) recommendation, and it was far outside the return window, so I just donated it to Habitat for Humanity's Restore. --The work itself was good, but not excellent. The ceiling seams are much better than they were, although the ceiling still has visible mounds where the seams were repaired. It's possible I could have asked that to be smoothed out on a subsequent visit, but frankly I wasn't interested in the runaround with the office staff again, and I decided that mounds are better than cracks. --I was very pleased that Ronnie (one of the men who was working on-site) noticed an existing problem with my ductwork while we were trying to sort out the bathroom fan situation, and I was able to add that to the project and have it fixed. I was grateful for Ronnie's attention and care. --Unfortunately, the office had failed to communicate the timeline for drywall repair to me, and I had only scheduled one day off of work. Once Ronnie and his partner were on-site, they immediately explained to me that they'd need to come back again a second day, and I had to scramble to adjust my schedule at work and with my roommate to make sure I could find a good date for the work to continue. Although I feel foolish for not understanding how drywall repairs work on my own, I really do think the office should have prevented this problem; we only scheduled one day of work, and no mention was made of any subsequent days of work. -- I am very disappointed in my second set of interactions with Intown Craftsmen, especially after having such a good experience the first time I hired them. I had a colleague see my first review of them and try to contact them for work on her historic home, but she didn't receive a response from the office. When she mentioned it to me, I encouraged her not to pursue it any further due to the decline in service I had experienced on my second project with them.

Description of Work
Patch & repair several large cracks in the drywall seams of my ceiling. Two small handyman issues: secure HVAC register above bathroom in attic, and move my bedroom door strikeplate so it latches properly.

Category drywall, handyman service

Work Completed On 02/19/2019

We're so sorry and totally dropped the ball. Even though project was $700 we should have been more responsive to this customer.

06/22/2019

Shirine A.

Worst experience of my life with a contractor. Paid above average price based upon several bids for what we thought was a reputable company. Light fixtures not leveled, custom glass shower door will not fully close, shower plumbing was so bad that it leaked in 3 DIFFERENT LOCATIONS. Very responsive to picking up checks for up charges during the project. Totally unresponsive for over 4 weeks to fix the plumbing leaks so bathroom was inoperable. Only responded when I submitted a complaint to the BBB and attempted to blackmail me by agreeing to fix the plumbing leak only if I retracted the accurate/truthful BBB review. Please, please stay away from this company!!!!

Description of Work
Remodel of a small bathroom

Category garage builders, home remodeling

Work Completed On 04/01/2019

Not our review - working to remove!

04/09/2019

Joseph L.

I have worked with Intown Craftsmen for years as they were my "go to" team when my house was a rental. They were always professional, worked with my tenants and got the job done the first time. So, when it was time to renovate my home to sell, I naturally called Intown Craftsmen. I was looking for an extensive renovation: new floors in kitchen, new backsplash, painted cabinets, entire house painted inside and out, full bathroom renovation, newly stained floors and a new floor installed upstairs. To add to the complexity, it was done remotely as I was not living in the area at the time of the renovation. I could not be happier with the results and working with them was incredibly easy. The general contractor was always just a call or text away and all costs were communicated clearly before I was charged. Here is the thing: you might be able to do the job for less money but if you want it done correctly and know that they will fix anything not done properly, you have to call Intown Craftsmen. I know if I ever move back to the area, they will be my team.

Description of Work
Remodel with interior and exterior painting

Category contractors, decks, concrete driveways, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, handyman service, remodeling, water heater repair, deck cleaning, garage builders, woodworking, home remodeling, house painters, interior painters, cabinet refacing

Work Completed On 02/22/2019

Review for Intown Craftsmen - 2469 N Decatur Rd, Decatur, GA - 37810472

Thank you for your kind words. We are always here for you and it is a pleasure to serve you. - Russ

03/11/2019

CYNTHIA B.

Intown responded quickly to my call for help as water was slowly leaking down onto my neighbors bathroom ceiling.. (They had renovated my bathroom several years ago, so they knew the project.) Todd and Jeff showed up quickly and took a quick look and determined the shower pan was sufficiently installed. We scheduled a time to go below to my neighbor's home and Todd determined that he would have to cut up through their ceiling to look up into the bottom of my shower (I have a walk in shower that is tiled, so that was said to be the most efficient place to start rather than start taking up tile in my bathroom. The problem was subsequently found and repaired. We monitored for any possible further leaks for a couple of days and then the ceiling of my neighbors bathroom was repaired and repainted and looks brand new. Todd cleaned up their condo beautifully before he left. I was very pleased that Intown completed these repairs gratis as it was related to an oversight that had occurred in the installation. I appreciate that they stood behind their work.

Description of Work
plumbing investigation and repair

Category handyman service, home remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 03/04/2019

Review for Intown Craftsmen - 2469 N Decatur Rd, Decatur, GA - 37755836

12/12/2018

Dawn T.

After corresponding with the assistant and rearranging my schedule for them to visit, they came late, boasted about how good they were and then never even followed up with a quote. Total waste of my time.

Description of Work
Remodel of bathroom, kitchen, and closet expansion.

Category remodeling, home remodeling

Work Completed On 10/01/2018

We never did any work for this client. We're very sorry, there may have been an email entered incorrectly. We did an estimate promptly and sent it but did not hear back from the customer. We will follow up immediately and make this right! We've very sorry as we do 5-10 estimates/week and were unaware she had not received her estimate.

11/24/2018

Gilbert K.

Be careful if you hire. They upcharged us twice after work got started (once for $1000 and once for $1400) for items that were addressed on the estimate. They were also the most expensive out of three companies considered.

Description of Work
House painting

Category roofing, house painters

Work Completed On 11/24/2018

Review for Intown Craftsmen - 2469 N Decatur Rd, Decatur, GA - 37569066

This is a tough review for us. We tried very hard to make the customer happy. His house had damaged trim hidden with patches and he also changed the scope of the work that we bid. We have over 1400 satisfied customers. We really tried hard with this client. -Russ

11/06/2018

GLEN R.

Very high quality work, and very responsive. They really care about providing quality and meeting your needs. They are probably not always the lowest cost alternative, but possibly paying a little bit more is definitely worth it for us. We initially choose them due to their high grades on Angie's List.

Description of Work
They have done a variety of painting, carpentry and repair jobs for us.

Category decks, gutter repair, handyman service, masonry, siding, wallpaper removal, deck cleaning, pressure washing, woodworking, house painters, interior painters

Work Completed On 08/01/2018

10/19/2018

Jessica H.

They were amazing. Through some miracle they were able to work me in within two days, which is highly unusual. The guy came and did the work and it looked great. He was on time and professional and did a good job. It’s all you can ask for!

Description of Work
I needed a door repaired.

Category handyman service, remodeling, interior painters

We aim to please! Thank you for your kind words. - Russ

10/06/2018

Susan W.

Smooth sailing the whole way through.

Description of Work
New roof, gutters, siding, paint, windows, electrical fixtures added. Basically a facelift for my 1949 bungalow and it looks amazing. Russ, Jeff, and all of their guys are so easy to work with and I was totally at ease throughout whole process. Also had some kitchen cabinets torn out and replaced with open shelving. Brian made my vision come alive.

Category electrician, egress windows, gutter repair, handyman service, lighting, remodeling, roofing, siding, replacement windows, pressure washing, woodworking, home remodeling, house painters, interior painters

Work Completed On 10/06/2018

08/30/2018

Giuseppina B.

I requested a quote from this company online. The office person responded right away with proposed times for the owner to come out and look at the scope of work. I was excited to be able to meet with them quickly, given that some contractors don't even call back! However, when I tried to work with them to find alternate times for a meeting she was very dismissive and quite frankly rude. They said they wouldn't be able to help me. Awful customer service - what a shame.

Description of Work
Repairs and renovation work

Category remodeling

Work Completed On 08/30/2018

We did not do any work for this customer but had several emails trying to work around her busy schedule to make her an appointment for our owner to visit. We offered her many times over the next week that were available but she did not want any of our available appointments. We do dispute that we were rude as we bent over backwards trying to reschedule her. Unfortunately, she used the wording "awful customer service", but, we are well known in this area for our excellent customer service. We are sorry we were unable to make her happy.

08/27/2018

Patricia A.

I had spent a week with another contractor that had messed things up horribly so it was a blessing that these guys came to the rescue. They were there on time, were able to make my supposed “broken mailbox” (per the other contractor) work perfectly. Now I can get mail in my home again.

Description of Work
Dug up small concrete pad and re-poured pad to be used as base for locking mailbox. They Assembled and installed it.

Work Completed On 08/24/2018

08/03/2018

Ashley B.

We hired Intown Craftsman to do a mantle remodel for us. We live in a 100 year old bungalow that had an original mantle. The owner Russ was nice enough to point that out to us to ensure we weren't just going to get rid of it. So his team moved it to another room and began work on our beautiful new modern and functional mantle. Everyone from Deb in the office, to Luke who manages the crews to the awesome workers Chris and Billy, they were all a pleasure to work with and very professional. They took the time to make sure we knew all the options, matched paint, touched up where we asked without complaint and just overall had a great attitude. We sourced our own beam which took a couple of months so when it came in they quickly came over to finish the job and we are so happy with the final outcome. We will absolutely call Intown Craftsmen for our future needs.

Description of Work
Mantle Remodel

Category handyman service, woodworking, interior painters

Work Completed On 08/03/2018

07/02/2018

Kelly B.

I just love my new Bathroom that Intown Craftsman did for me. Deb, Fitz, Luke, Russ and the team did a great job coordinating with me and getting my bathroom renovation done on time and perfectly. Russ even helped me pick out my tile and vanity. I highly recommend Intown Craftsman. They all went above and beyond the call of duty to make me very happy.

Description of Work
Bathroom Renovation

Category handyman service, remodeling, home remodeling

Work Completed On 04/16/2018

Review for Intown Craftsmen - 2469 N Decatur Rd, Decatur, GA - 37208560

So much fun to work with this upbeat customer. The project was our pleasure! - Russ

06/17/2018

Jennifer V.

Chris did a fantastic job rebuilding and sealing the cabinet base under my kitchen sink. The reason for the project was to seal as many cracks & holes in the wall as possible to reduce cockroach access to my home from my downstairs neighbors. So, careful and detailed work was extremely important, because cockroaches can get through the tiniest of cracks. Chris was patient with my obessive checking of his work, and he used a ton of caulk. Things are very well sealed now; it's been 3 months, and my cockroach problem has disappeared, which shows how thorough he was. He also had to solve a problem that popped up with my water shutoff valve, and he listened carefully to my ideas and implemented the solution wonderfully. The only trouble I had was minor, and involved scheduling: I told the office about a constraint on my schedule that Chris didn't seem to know about on the day of the work. I (eventually!) mentioned it to him directly, which I should have done when he first arrived, and he cleaned up quickly and left promptly. However, I do wish the constraint had been communicated effectively without my intervention. The quality of work was fantastic, and I absolutely will hire Intown Craftsmen again. Working with them was the best handyman experience I've ever had.

Description of Work
Pulled out cabinet base under kitchen sink. Cleaned debris out of wall cavity and replaced/patched drywall behind sink and dishwasher. Caulked everything thoroughly. Built new cabinet base with plywood and built a custom access area for the water shutoff valve. Caulked everything thoroughly (again!) and laid down linoleum tiles inside cabinet base.

Cost $640.63

Work Completed On 03/23/2018

05/16/2018

John T.

All went well. Scheduling went smoothly, handyman arrived on time & completed the project in less time than anticipated.

Description of Work
Construction of a complicated bed frame

Work Completed On 05/14/2018

Thanks so much for taking the time to give feeback. - Russ

05/02/2018

Meredith T.

We are really pleased with the work of Intown craftsmen. They divided one large bedroom in my home into two and added an additional light fixture. This work was completed on a very short timeline and Intown repeatedly checked the progress and our satisfaction throughout the job. The children LOVE their new rooms. I especially appreciated that the pricing was transparent upfront and economical. We loved that Intown Craftsmen were so invested in our project, especially when other contractors would not consider our project because it was too small for them. Home improvement, especially where children are involved and for a growing blended family is such a personal thing, and these guys really did a great job caring for us. It gave the children a space created especially for them and helps to make them feel at home. I cannot recommend them enough!

Description of Work
Room Division

Category drywall, electrician, handyman service, remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 04/09/2019

Review for Intown Craftsmen - 2469 N Decatur Rd, Decatur, GA - 37810652

It was a pleasure to serve your wonderful family!

05/02/2018

Meredith T.

Other contractors turned me away when they heard my budget for this project and refused to provide me with an estimate before hearing my budget. Intown Craftsmen gave me pricing upfront and answered all my cost questions before knowing how much money I could spend. They remained enthusiastic about my project with me throughout the entire process, completed work quickly in a sensitive time frame, resolved issues quickly and to my satisfaction as they arose, and did good quality work. My only (small) complaint is that cleanup of sheet rock dust was not well done and a closet was omitted from one of the bedrooms, however they quickly resolved this issue and the sheet rock dust is only a very small issue. I am really pleased overall with the work of this contractor, their honestly, and their friendly and good customer service and would definitely enjoy using them in the future. I just can't thank them enough for the care they took to make certain I was happy with the work and for helping me to create two lovely children bedrooms on a small budget.

Description of Work
Division of master bedroom into 2 smaller rooms

Category drywall, electrician, handyman service, remodeling

Work Completed On 03/12/2018

Review for Intown Craftsmen - 2469 N Decatur Rd, Decatur, GA - 37030958

Thank you it was our pleasure to serve you. - Russ

04/30/2018

Matt D.

I hired Russ, and Intown Craftsmen, to repair a good bit of termite damage in my house, and to make matters worse, it was on a load bearing wall joist. Every other company I spoke to said that the upstairs walls and floors would probably crack, since the floor had to be jacked up. Not only did Intown Craftsmen repair the damage very well, but they were so careful with the jacks, that there wasn't a speck of damage on the upper floors. They did a great job on the repairs, and even with the clean up as well. I *highly* recommend Intown Craftsmen for your easy or tough projects!

Description of Work
Termite Repair on load bearing beams

Category contractors, handyman service