Back to Basics Builders, LLC

Founded 2014 • With Angi since September 2016

4.3

6323 W Wisconsin Ave

Wauwatosa, WI 53213

We’ve been the remodeling company of choice in the Wauwatosa and greater Milwaukee area for years. Our remodeling contractors have the skills and industry knowledge to transform every room in your home. Trade your stained carpets for hardwood floors. Enjoy a single vanity in your bathroom. Whip up

09/22/2020

Steve C.

Justin & Dustin were polite and very easy to talk to. They did a excellent job installing a half door by the basement stairs. They clean up after there self with out being asked to. I would definitely recommend them to anymore I know. everyone

Description of Work
Put in a half door by basement stairs.

Category contractors, doors

08/11/2020

Kristine R.

Run don't walk from this company. We were initially lured by Back to Basics google reviews and Joe's interview. However our project quickly turned into a nightmare. What was supposed to be an 8 week remodel lasted almost 10 months (granted there were 6 weeks of Covid and a month of restoration secondary to Joe's negligence). Every aspect of the project from the electrical, paint, drywall had to be done and redone. We had to contact the NARI grievance board to even get the project finished. In the end we payed, not because we were satisfied with the "finished" work (which includes a bathroom that was left unpainted - Joe was going to send his wife and secretary to paint it -and crooked walls & soffits). We payed because hiring lawyers is expensive and we tried to work with Joe because finding another contractor to touch a project in progress is incredibly difficult. The disregard for our home, our family, and our things was appalling. Joe and his crew used our garage as a wood working space (without permission) covering our personal belongings in sawdust. Joe and his crew sawed through our concrete floor without securing the work space, resulting in cement dust covering every thing we owned, filling our hvac. Restoration companies were called multiple times to "cure," even so our things are not the same. In addition, Joe's team refused to wear masks during the covid pandemic (when I brought it to his attention, he said we should be wearing masks in our home while they worked). Joe did not protect our floors from comings and going of workers. Joe did not provide or stick to any kind of regular schedule until NARI got involved with our complaint. Joe used non remodeling space to dump demolition material. Joe's workers did things like unplug our family chest freezer (resulting in us losing our food) and unplugging our water heater and never plugging it back in. Joe would send emails saying, "drywalls finished," when there'd be gaping holes in the drywall areas on the walls. He'd email us, "paintings finished" when the walls would have large and evident spots of missing paint. The more we asked him to correct his workers' basic mistakes, the more contentious the relationship became. In the end his communication included, hanging up on me on the phone and blaming me for not letting him know what work still needed to be done on the project. We trusted Joe Burbey. We wanted the job done in a timely manner to a professional level. After almost a year, of trying to work with him..we had to pay him to get him out of our lives. The work wasn't even finished and he sent us our last invoice, with a statement that it was 3 days overdue and he was going to put a lien on our house. Maybe Back to Basics is good for handyman work, but when it comes to a larger job like ours...we did not get a professional experience.

Description of Work
Basement/ Rec room Remodel

Category contractors, drywall, picture framing, plastering, home remodeling, interior painters, doors, basement remodeling

08/18/2018

Shirley S.

BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY! Spoke in June about the job but put on hold due to personal things that needed to be taken care of. Called Joe in Aug. about contracting for the job. Joe said he could squeeze me in on Friday Aug 17th. He called Tue Aug 14th saying he needed 50% down & was bring over the contract for me to sign. When he showed up he DID NOT bring the business contract. He brought over what he called an INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR AGREEMENT. Which basicly states that 'he has sole discretion to determine how, WHEN & where to perform services" It also states "either party is able to terminate immediately without further obligation'. There were other things that made me very uncomfortable but I figured he said he was coming Friday & it was a one day job. After signing 2 of these forms, he shoved his phone at me & told me to sign on the line. I was in a hurry, it was hot outside & I signed it. After I gave him 50% down I said what time time are you coming on Friday. HE DIDN'T ANSWER. That's when I knew this was going very wrong. After he left I was wondering "WHERE IS MY CONTRACT" & "WHAT DID HE HAVE ME SIGN ON HIS PHONE", the only thing on the phone was a line for my signature. no explanation of what is was. I called him right away & told him to email me the contract. I said again.."See you Friday" Again he did not answer! Never got the contract on TUE. Wed morning I put a stop payment on the check & cancelled the contract???(The one that never was). BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY! I am posting pictures of the only contract this company gave me. Hope they are readable.

Description of Work
Hand rails on my back stoop.

Category remodeling

04/24/2017

Barbara Y.

Excellent, loved that Joe let us buy our kitchen floor, he then put the flooring in. He matched the floorboards, moulding with our kitchen cupboards. They were always on time, told us what they were going to do before they did anything. Our kitchen looks beautiful , Will hire them again plus recommend them whoever needs work done on their home.

Description of Work
We needed new basement stairs, plus drywall to be put up in the basement, they finished our kitchen, floor boards, New flooring, moulding around our cupboards, moulding around 3 doors plus more lightening in our kitchen.

Category remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling

02/23/2017

Teresa J.

Very professional and reasonable priced. Also being a first time home buyer you want a knowledgeable service person and Joe and his crew are AWESOME !!!!

Description of Work
Closet doors fixed and aligned!!

Category doors

11/19/2016

judy K.

very well, very polite and courteous, work was done very timely and professional.

Description of Work
closet shelving, garage shelving, outside outlet replaced

Category handyman service, remodeling, woodworking

11/17/2016

Kathleen P.

I am so happy I found this company. It is very important to me to have honest, reliable people to call for work I need done. It has been difficult to find a company that does good work , on time, with reasonable prices and most of all, most importantly to me, someone I can have safely in my home. I have been thru three other services of this type and all were disappointing on every level of expectations.

Description of Work
I needed a garage door repaired . I needed a outside faucet fixed because of a faulty hose coupling. ( Immediate response from Back to Basic's for this -within the hour.) I needed an outside dryer vent completely redone. Back to Basics's built a wooden railing for my wheelchair ramp.

Category handyman service, remodeling, woodworking

TILE TIM Contracting

OWNER OPERATED. COST IS DETERMINED BY THE JOB. ASK FOR DETAILS ON TRAVEL CHARGES & SERVICE FEES.

Bulldog Builders LLC

We are a full service construction company based in Southeastern Wisconsin. The owners have 25 years experience each in the trades. From commercial and residential roofing to whole house makeovers, you can depend on us for a wide variety of services including insurance restoration. Be prepared to be impressed with the professionalism and quality of work of Bulldog Builders.

Milwaukee Windows

No pressure sales because we know our product and pricing are better than the competition. In addition to our goal of a quality product and competitive pricing, Milwaukee Windows is also able to get you the windows within a short period of time (7-14 days). Milwaukee Windows began as the owner was searching for a quality window manufacturer for his investment properties. Although the big box stores had standard size windows at a reasonable price (for the quality level supplied), custom sizes were cost prohibitive and took a long time to get once ordered. In addition, there wasn't much selection if you wanted a higher quality product. Other window retailers were expensive and slow. After researching different windows and finding a high quality one he liked, he decided to go directly to the manufacturer and negotiate pricing since he had such a high volume of windows he would be ordering. Over the years, friends, fellow investors and contractors began requesting orders. As a result, Milwaukee Windows came to existence.

2022 Super Service Award

General Remodeling
    Visa, MasterCard, Check

Home Remodeling & Home Repairs.

Cleaning, Yard Work or Roofing.