Burkhardt Heating & Air Conditioning

Founded 1961 • With Angi since May 2000

8232 N Teutonia Ave

Milwaukee, WI 53209

Full service heating and cooling contractor serving entire metro Milwaukee area since 1961. Milwaukee's only HVAC contractor who has earned Angie's List "Super Service" award every year and two time Bryant "Medal of Excellence" award winner. Always open by appointment.

06/17/2022

Jeani F.

My experience with the individuals in this company was outstanding. They have extraordinary expertise and dedication, and the quality of their work is first-rate. They went out of their way to accommodate my schedule and budgetary constraints, and always with a smile.

Description of Work
Install new high-efficiency furnace, power-vented water heater, and central air for first floor.

04/23/2022

John C K.

After years of quality service, Burkhardt has dropped the ball tremendously with us since November. Roughly once a month, our furnace (which they installed) would shut down due to the filter clogging and overheating the unit. Each time, Burkhardt would come out and have a different theory as to what was going on. And every time they worked on the furnace, they assured us everything was now fine. This continued to happen through the dead of winter and into spring. My wife and I both work from home and have two small children, so having a freezing house was an issue. I don't expect perfection and realize that it takes some time to figure out what is going on with a unit, but at some point, you have to conclude that either the unit is a lemon or their personnel isn't doing their job. The unit is under warranty, but every time I brought that up, it was dismissed and told they would figure it out. I began voicing my displeasure to them and everything changed. Calls went unreturned and promises of follow ups went unfulfilled-even to the point where I had to call in order to remind them of services they told me we needed to have done. They even had their installation supervisor come out to put in a new humidifier and left with the bottom panel of our unit wide open with exposed wires! Their "supervisor" did this, resulting in yet another night with our furnace not running.

Description of Work
Furnace Repair

01/14/2022

Sonya Maria H.

We needed a new furnace. So we Google heating and cooling and because so many places were backed up we were told by one of the other businesses to call Burkhart . Glad we did they got us in within a few days and the few days waiting they supplied us with more than enough space heaters.we want to thank Jessica and Mahogany in the office and sales men Jake and Mike and Drew and Dean they had the hardest job putting it altogether going up and down the stairs inside and outside into the bitter cold Wisconsin weather. Thank you all

Description of Work
At first we thought just a repair.

09/10/2021

Harlan W.

I'm not so sure I trust them any longer and here's why. I had them come over to do routine servicing on both our 7 yrs. old Bryant units we had bought from Burkhardt in 2015. I had a credit certificate from them on a previous installation error of theirs. When we initially bought both of the brand new units from them. So, this time I had used it (the credit certificate) towards the servicing which normally is around $149.00 each unit (roughly). The service guy comes over for the services and highly touts this a/c additive for $300.00 to my wife! OMG! Really?! He talks her into that the a/c will run quieter and better. For $300.00, mind you. Then oddly enough, our Bryant furnace wasn't working when he tested it. The fan motor failed. They came back to fix it. Luckily it was covered under our 10 yrs manufacturers warranty. He said it was probably due to the recent power outage we had in August 2021. Call me skeptical if you'd like. Something's fishy on especially this a/c additive. Don't fall for this!!

Description of Work
Bryant recommended routine servicing. Furnace Failure

Category appliance repair

05/22/2021

Sydney P.

My mom and I scheduled an appointment with them for the next Monday, making sure to tell them it was not a rush job. They quoted me $149 to come out Monday. That Friday I get a call saying they’re 15 minutes away. I told him I could’ve sworn we had scheduled for Monday. He said no, it was Friday. I was confused and told him I had work in two hours, but as long as he could be done by then I didn’t really care that it was the wrong day. He hurried off the phone with me and showed up at my house, asking about my nonfunctional A/C unit. I told him no, it was clearly functioning (my house was cold) but that it was making a sound and needed checking over. I asked about the cost of the visit just to make sure they weren’t charging me the rush fee of $199. They were. I told him I was quoted $149 and he called the office and they Corrected it and gave me the $149 price. He then looked at my furnace for 10 seconds and told me he didn’t hear a sound, but if there was one it wasn’t worth fixing because it was old. I asked what it could be. He said it was probably the “blower.” I inquired further and he said it wouldn’t be worth it to replace as my furnace was 30 years old. (I had just gotten the main parts of the furnace replaced, so even though the actual furnace was old, the innards were new and working fine besides the whistling noise). He went back upstairs and listened at the vent I told him it was coming from and he didn’t hear anything but said it could be anything then, like something in the ducts. Lots of phone calls between my mom (who was really busy), the technician, the office, and me, and nothing was sorted out. My mom asked how much a blower would be and he finally said around $800 but that it’s not worth it and I should just get a new furnace then. She asked the price of a furnace and he said it’d be upwards of $4,500 and my mom was confused as to why it wouldn’t be worth it to fix it. He said if the heater didn’t work we’d find out in fall and would have wasted the money on the new part for the A/C. My mom asked if he could check the heater now then since we were paying for a service call anyway and he hadn’t really done much at this point. He said no, he couldn’t. They were too busy and it was an A/C day not a furnace day. He said if the furnace turned out to have a bad part in the fall we could pay them to come out then but if it DID have a bad part he’d have to shut it off for good and then I’d HAVE to get a new one. After all this he asked for the payment which I told him I didn’t have. He said we had told him it was cash on delivery. I told him I had planned to have the money on Monday when they were scheduled to come out but I couldn’t pay him now. He assured me that we were always scheduled for Friday and I said I’d have the money. I told him to just bill me. He said if I didn’t have the money “what about your mom?” (My mom wasn’t even at the house.) Fed up, I told him to leave my house. He wasn’t making any motions to leave so, crying now, I yelled at him that all this was unacceptable and for him to get off my property. I did then apologize for yelling but stood my ground and said he needed to leave and that I didn’t have the money right now anyway. He finally left my house, but when I left for work 30-ish minutes after this whole debacle, he was still parked outside my house and had called another person from the company to come out. They were talking beside the two company vehicles. I was already in my ride on my way to work, which I had told them I had to get to, so I don’t know why he called in backup. They are probably going to send me a bill for the “services rendered...” or, as I’d call it, the huge inconvenient pain in my *** that accomplished nothing. Honestly? I’d rather not have to pay $149 for nothing. I don’t have that kind of money, it’s a pandemic and I work part time. They refused to do anything about my A/C and now I’ll have to call another company (if I can scrounge up the cash after paying Burkhardt if they make me).

Description of Work
Noisy HVAC system needed maintenance

02/26/2021

Mark B.

Emergency repair needed immediately on afternoon of SuperBowl Sunday. Replaced filter that got sucked into fan causing overheating. Work not completed due to "debris" found in ductwork, but panels were not replaced. Furnace ductwork & furnace panels (that cover moving parts and flame portion of burner) left UNSECURED, with screws missplaced. Poor response from manager when brought to his attention. Work was NOT completed, and suggested repair was NOT completed. Expensive intervention that was incomplete, and no resolution from management. I've used Burghardt before without complaint, but you know, 1 bad experience is far more potent than lots of good ones.

Description of Work
Residential Gas Furnace Stopped Working During Cold Snap...

12/02/2020

Jack N.

In addition to checking the furnace, the technician gave me lots of advice & showed me things to look for.

Description of Work
Furnace tune-up & check

12/02/2020

Rey W.

Every year we have Burkhardt come out and either check the furnace, the A/C condenser or both. Every time the results are the same: excellent communication, highly knowledgeable technicians, and very high quality service. The owner, the technicians, the installers, and all of the office staff are honest, and work hard to get everything right the first time. If follow-up is required they do it promptly, and they bring back more expertise to solve the problem. These guys are exceptional and we trust them. At this point, we wouldn't consider any company other than Burkhardt to work on our HVAC. Thank you for a job well done!

Description of Work
Furnace Tune-Up

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, air duct cleaning

11/11/2020

Linda S.

Excellent... Chris is amazing person. I would highly recommended him. Very knowledgeable and efficient.

Description of Work
HVAC Maintenance twice a year

11/05/2020

Allen D.

Incomplete the first time around. Prices were hidden as they did not call when they said they would. Manager was very rude.

Description of Work
Replace 2 air vents and valve

11/02/2020

Gregory T.

Had Terry from Burkhardt come over to look over our two furnaces to make sure they were ready to go for the upcoming winter. Arrived on time, good conversation, fine tuned everything, and would hire again. They are also doing my parents house.

Description of Work
Furnace check up for Fall/Winter

08/28/2020

Jerome N.

Everything went well, however, I was disappointed that the tech did not take a few minutes to clean the Air Conditioner of the leaves and debris as this was the real reason for calling a professional.

Description of Work
Heating and Air Conditioner tune up

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, air duct cleaning

04/12/2020

THOMAS & PATRICIA B.

Burkhardt responded promptly to my Monday morning call. A carbon monoxide alarm had sounded the previous evening and after responding to that, we wanted to get an immediate inspection of our 24 year old furnace. After the inspection, we decided to replace the entire Furnace, A/C and thermostat system. The work was done the next day, completed by 3 p.m. The workmanship quality was very good, precautions taken to avoid any disruption to the household and everything was thoroughly explained. I was very satisfied with the results.

Description of Work
Replacement of furnace, air conditioning and thermoset (complete system)

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review and we are glad that you were satisfied with your installation.

03/30/2020

Jamin H.

They came in a fixed the problem almost right away - and while they were here, they told me about a recall on a different part of my unit, so they also took care of that, with no additional charge. I trust them to do their job, and do it well!

Description of Work
We had an operation fault, reported by the smart thermostat.

03/04/2020

Tom R.

All my service calls went very well. I have used Burkhardt multiple times over the last three years. (I even bought a furnace from them last year and I was extremely happy with the price and the quick turnaround service. I have always found them to be trustworthy, fair, respectful, efficient... and so many more positive adjectives that I could come up with. Their work is always done well and at a fair price. When there have been discrepancies, they always resolved them quickly. There are very few contractors that I trust as much as I trust Burkhardt. If you are looking for an outstanding HVAC company, you will not be disappointed by using them!

Description of Work
Inoperative thermostat

Thank you!

10/23/2019

Michael Z.

I initially had difficulty with the furnace unit installed. I grew frustrated after several trouble shooting visits in which the problem would seemingly be addressed but then reappear at a later time. I consider the true measure of a business how they handle adversity and they went above and beyond to satisfy me. The original furnace was COMPLETELY REPLACED at no cost to me and has worked great since. As a small business owner myself, I understand that "things happen" but the onus is on the business to make the customer whole and they have more than exceeded my expectations. I enthusiastically recommend this company and will be using them for future HVAC services.

Description of Work
Installation of Furnace and AC Unit

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for your patience and sharing your experience with Burkhardt Heating. Even if we need to replace the furnace again at no charge we will do that to take care of the customer.

09/16/2019

SUZAN B.

Technician was prompt, professional and courteous. He explained what he did and made recommendations for future work.

Description of Work
Furnace tune-up

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review on the maintenance of your furnace. Glad you were satisfied with our work.

08/03/2019

David H.

Angie's List came through with flying colors!! I was amazed at both the outstanding responsiveness of the company and the quality and honesty of the technician who serviced my furnace. The technician was friendly, down-to-earth, thoroughly knowledgeable, and gave me several useful tips for the care of my system. Because Burkhardt is also a Certified Carrier Dealer, the technician was able to determine that my blower motor, regularly priced at $650+, was still under warranty--and replaced if for only $125, the cost of labor. Since this blower motor services my central air system, also, I was doubly blessed by the technician's forthrightness. He even diagnosed squeaking sounds from my system that had been plaguing me for months--caused by the metal-to-metal contact of the straps bracing some of the conduits--a simple fix. I give Burkhardt Heating and Air Conditioning 5+ Stars for their excellent service!!

Description of Work
I claimed an Angie's List offer for a Furnace Tune-Up for $122.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for choosing Burkhardt Heating for the service on your furnace. When a repair was needed, we always check to see if we can find any warranties even if we didn't do the original installation. Glad we could save you nearly $1000.00 by searching and finding out your furnace had an extended warranty so the repair would be covered at no charge for you!

07/31/2019

JILL C.

AMAZING - I was fully expecting to have to totally replace my 16 year old AC until. But Dan was able to quickly diagnosis and repair the AC in less than 30 min. Others might have taken the opportunity to sell me a new unit, but not Burkhardt. You now have a customer for life! Same day repair and less than $500 - AMAZING

Description of Work
Broken central air

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Glad Dan could get your central air conditioner repaired quickly for a reasonable price. Thank you for sharing your experience with Burkhardt Heating.

07/15/2019

Mayank M.

Bad experience today. We used them last year for same service. Dennis came out and performed it. So I called again today. First they said they would come tomorrow, then they called & said a customer had canceled & they could come today. Dennis came out again. Said Trip/Service Charge was $200 - surprisingly steep! Other companies charge $50-100 less! Dennis recommended cleaning AC filter - but declined to go into the hot attic to take a look. Don't blame him, but I did pay a steep trip charge at that. And 2 lbs. of refrigerant would be $400. Total Service = $600. Wow - didn't expect the high expense. Asked Dennis to apply their coupons, he said there weren't any. After service I checked their website & see they have a $20 coupon. Not a huge amount, but why deny it? Very disappointing experience.

Description of Work
Recharged AC with 2 lbs. of R22 refrigerant

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Please enter what you would like the response to look like:Thank you for the opportunity to respond.[Member Name Removed] contacted us for the first time last year. We did several service repairs including refrigerant. He was not happy then at the costs at that time. He threatened to call the BBB on us in 2018. We quote all repairs upfront before work is done. We tell them what the diagnostic is before we schedule. We had concerns going back after last experience but we did and same day too! The same tech was there last year and said are we really going back? Last year after the service call we followed up to make sure all was running well, last year we recommended replacement, we sent them a mailer in the fall and spring for check ups, we sent them a refrigerant letter in March about a leak in their system that needs to be replaced or checked. We followed up on that letter with a phone call about a month later. We contacted them 7 times since we were out there last year to get ahead of this issue but no, contact us on one of the hottest days of the year. We scheduled you in same day, which all my other friends at other companies cannot get out for two weeks and charge more for after hours calls couldn't do. Why is it when we come out after hours shift the price is surprisingly steep when you knew before? Why did you not go with the other companies that are less? Our tech Dennis would not deny a valid coupon. Its right on our Angie's list page, just mention it and we do it. About the attic... FYI is at least 50 degrees hotter than outside in that attic. Outside 90 degrees attic 140ish. I just read an article this morning about a tech that died in an attic. Did you hear me? A tech died due to heat issues in an attic! We do let people know when it is this hot that we are NOT going in attics. Thanks for letting me explain this to our other readers. Be aware; we do tell you when we will be there with the price before we schedule; we quote the job before we do it; we do give coupons; we do not put our techs in harms way. I think that sums it up.

06/13/2019

MICHAEL M.

Excellent workmanship and very professional. We've been using Burkhardt for 14+ years and are very happy with our new system.

Description of Work
New Furnace and Central A/C

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for putting your trust in Burkhardt Heating for you home comfort needs. Glad you are satisfied with us.

06/06/2019

Mary Ann P.

I have never had a service person as good as them. He came in during the rainy weather and was very nice and non invasive. He was very pleasant and let me know when he was done. I hardly knew he was here. I would highly recommend them and I would definitely hire them again.

Description of Work
He installed a new air conditioner.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

We appreciate the kind words about your experience with Burkhardt Heating on the installation of your new central air conditioning. Thank you for taking the time to share.

03/19/2019

Catherine S.

They came and fix it about 15 minutes. They told me they will come back a week and half. Bought a brand new furnce from them. I will never use them again.

Description of Work
Air went out.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

This customer has a furnace installed by us several years ago. She had purchased a maintenance agreement in 2015 and then canceled which we refunded. She had a tuneup for the furnace done in 2016. We had not worked on her AC at all. She believed that she had a maintenance plan but that was gone in 2016 since she canceled. We told her about that on her initial call when her AC stopped work on 7/2/2018 and were out the same day to replace a part on her 2004 AC. We followed up on the repair less than a month later to make sure all was well. Not sure what we could have done differently since she canceled her MA and then would have a diagnostic charge. BOTTOM LINE IF YOU DON’T WANT TO PAY A DIAGNOSTIC ON A 2004 AC GET ON A MAINTENANCE PLAN.

02/01/2019

ANN L.

Called on a Monday afternoon, as furnace (27 years old) was not heating as usual. The owner came over within a couple of hours, and we scheduled the work for the following day. The work crew were on time, clean, thorough, and helpful. The installation of the central air conditioner was done as well, even in the snow and single digit temperatures! The whole system included a new "smart" thermostat, that I love checking on my phone!

Description of Work
Replacement of furnace and central air conditioner

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for sharing your experience with Burkhardt Heating on the installation of your new HVAC comfort system. Glad we not only met but also exceeded your expectations.

01/27/2019

Michael M.

On 01/27/2019 at approximately 9:00am I called their 24-Hour Emergency Service number because my furnace was not working correctly and my home was extremely cold. I spoke with a gentleman who I believe his name was “Doug”. I’m not 100% sure of this as he was hard to understand because he was screaming at me. “Doug” processed to “cuss me out”. “Doug” made mention of problems in his personal life and told me I don’t know s**t about furnaces. With that being said I have had work done by this company in the past which I was satisfied with. However, solely based on the way I was screamed at by “Doug” I will never do business with this company again. “Doug” if you’re having issue in your personal life that is understandable however it is not an excuses to be verbally assaultive to customers.

Description of Work
Furnace was not working correctly

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Customer called on a cold Sunday morning requesting emergency service and was quoted the price to send out a service technician to his home right away. He responded by insisting he shouldn't have to and isn't going to pay anything for a tech to come out to his home because he used us in the past. Insane and extremely unreasonable demands are responded to appropriately.