MASTER APPLIANCE REPAIR SERVICE

Founded 1974 • With Angi since August 2001

304 N MAIN ST

Mequon, WI 53092

ONE EMPLOYEE. NO SUBS. COSTS IS DETERMINED BY THE JOB.

08/23/2016

Craig W.

Not great! Aside from the fact that Master Appliance is way over priced, he also comes with an attitude. After he serviced our dishwasher, as he was writing up the bill I asked him what if I have the same problem again. His answer was "I knew you would ask me that"! I thought how rude and condescending. He said his work is guaranteed for 30 days, which of course 60+ days later I now have the same problem. $300 later, all for labor, no parts were replaced & still the same problem. As the saying goes fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Not twice for me!

Description of Work
Repair Dishwasher

01/21/2015

Laureen L.

Tom was awesome! He responded within an hour to our request through Angie's List to schedule an appointment. He arrived exactly when said he'd be here and worked diligently to fix the problem (replaced the outlet and dryer cord). He explained why we were having trouble with our dryer, and before actually making the repairs let us know how much it'd cost. He also said that if the electrical problem caused a problem within the dryer he could replace the part that likely was damaged when the electrical went south, and how much that'd cost. It's very important to us that we're able to trust providers, and we believe Tom is reliable and trustworthy. We'll definitely call him again when we need large appliance repairs done.

Description of Work
Tom investigated problems we were having with our electric dryer (running constantly, then not heating) and found a problem with the electrical outlet it was plugged into.

Category appliance repair, plumbing

12/23/2014

Rod G.

Tom checked the door seals and thermostat and determined that the freezer door must have been left slightly open which 1) caused the frost to build up and; 2) the buildup caused the thermostat to stick and light to fail to go on. Rather than try selling me an $85 thermostat, Tom advised I wait 24 hours because now that the frost was off the thermostat it might run normally again. He said there would be no trip charge if he had to come back and install a new one. The freezer is running fine so his advise was good and saved me $85.

Description of Work
Repaired a freezer that, when I called, was covered with thick frost, running continuously, and had a temp 20 degrees below the recommended level. I was able to get rid of the frost by defrosting but was concerned the thermostat was broken.

06/09/2014

Laura D.

It's been great and I use them all the time. They've been very reliable.

Description of Work
I used this company and it's from Angie's List. They repaired an oven.

04/21/2014

Andrew E.

They were very good. Their price was also reasonable from what I remember at that time. The person that they sent out was very professional. The work was done on a timely manner and we never had any issues with them.

Description of Work
Master Appliance Repair Service fixed a broken pipe for us.

Category plumbing

01/13/2014

Robert A. S.

I thought the price for the amount of work done and the time it took was excessive.

Description of Work
Milwaukee Wash and Appliance repaired a dishwasher that was not working properly.

12/24/2013

Heidi M.

Professional, explained what he needed to do, fixed it quickly and pricing was fair.

Description of Work
Repaired refrigerator freezer.

07/18/2013

david S.

I have nothing but good things about them. The guy was wonderful and nice and is very knowledgeable.

Description of Work
Master Appliance Repair Service repaired my refrigerator.

04/01/2013

Barbara P.

Did a thorough inspection to find the cause of the problem. Very professional.

Description of Work
Cooktop repair.

03/12/2013

Pat K.

I had to wait to write this review as I was pretty ticked off right after the work was done. Now that I have calmed down I feel I can write a fair review. Tom was on time and went to great lengths to let me know how long he has been doing appliance repair and how professional he is. He spent quite a bit of time taking my machine apart and determined it was the switch. I noticed that he came with a print out of information about the machine from the internet. He was not familiar with the machine and I think that was why it took him so long to take the machine apart and figure out that it was indeed the switch. That was pretty obvious to me when I called, but ok, he wanted to be sure. He did not have the needed part. He needed to order it out of Chicago and come back to install it. In the meantime he refused to put the machine back together because he said it was too dangerous to operate the way I had been operating it before he came. There are no children in the house - I am an adult and know not to stick my hand in the washer while it is operating. I felt he was very condescending and pompous. I am not an idiot. He did come back and install the switch and the machine works again. This cost me nearly $300 for the repair as I recall. I noticed the first time that I used the machine that it was leaking. In moving the washer and possible removing the hoses to do so, a hose was loosened and was leaking. I had to pull the washer out and tighten the hoses at the washer. Overall not as impressed with this company as other businesses I have used from Angie's list. As an aside, I will never buy another GE appliance. This is the second very expensive appliance from GE that had a part fail that was difficult/impossible to find. I understand they do not manufacture replacement parts for very long after the machine is no longer sold. UPDATE: My tighetening of the loose hose reduced but did not resolve the leak. I finally called All Appliance Repair, another Angies List service person. I had had Steve out to clean my dry and vents last year and got him back to look at the washer. Turns out the machine was not put back together correctly and that hose connections to things like the bleach dispenser were not connected. Since I had not had any leakage prior to Tom working on the machine last year my conclusion is that when he took the whole machine apart he neglected to reconnect this one. I should mention that I did not call Tom to fix the issue because of his snotty attitude. I figured no sense throwing good money after bad.

Description of Work
GE Profile washing machine had a bad switch for lid. I knew this when I called. The computer on the machine insisted the lid was open when it was closed. Then it did not register that it was open. I was able to use the machine when I called even though if you opened the machine while running it did not register that it was open.

02/04/2013

JOHN N.

Went fine. He arrived as scheduled and performed the repair in a timely fashion. The hot and cold water supplies were hooked up backwards so he detached the hoses and switched them. I thought the price was a little high but he is the only one authorized for this brand of Washer.

Description of Work
Washer Repair

12/26/2012

David W.

A1. Wouldn't hesitate to call them again.

Description of Work
Dryer LP conversion and hook up.

10/04/2012

John B.

He was recommended by a handyman friend. He is very able and does a lot of large and small appliance work.

Description of Work
He put in a new garbage disposal.

Category plumbing

07/11/2012

DOUG N.

He was very professional looking and told me he has been doing this work since he was sixteen.. The guy was profesisonal, knew what he was doing, and did a great job.

Description of Work
I had a problem with the with my gen air oven.

Category appliance repair, small appliance repair

06/25/2012

James or Mary K.

I stopped at the office for Master Appliance Repair Service in Thiensville, explained that my refrigerator had stopped working over the weekend and asked if Tom could check it. He made an appointment for the same day, checked the entire unit, ordered a needed part and returned later the same day to install the part. Tom was punctual, respectful and informative. I would not hesitate to use his services again.

Description of Work
While I was away, my refrigerator stopped cooling both the upper unit and the bottom freezer unit. Tom checked it and said that the compressor relay needed to be replaced. He ordered the part and replaced it the same day. He was very professional and efficient.

12/13/2011

Monica T.

I found them through Angie's List. The dishwasher does not leak now. It was a quick and easy fix. He was a very nice person and he was very respectful. He was very helpful in explaining about what he was thinking. He could have obviously tried to sell me something more instead of helping me to figure out to switch the setting.

Description of Work
I used the services of Master Appliance Repair Service three months ago for repairing our dishwasher. The dishwasher was leaking and so, they ended up switching the setting on it.

10/07/2011

libby T.

He was professional, proficient and pleasant to have do the job. Would definitely use him again.

Description of Work
Iused Tom twice, the first time to check out my Samsung refrigerator that had gone out. He found out in a few minutes that the connection to the wall plug was damaged and he fixed it and repaired the plug. He also explained what might have happened, and is sure it will not happen again. He was prompt and came the very same morningI called. The next time I called, my dishwasher was shutting off a few minutes after it was starting and he came out and figured it out in minutes...he really is good! I would trust him to repair almost anything. He knows about all the different brands, even ASKO which is not a common brand. Would reccommend him definitely.

09/09/2011

William J.

The door handle broke off of a built-in microwave and I called Tom to discuss it. I said I could see that only a plastic framing piece was broken, but I didn't want to open up the microwave nor risk putting the door on incorrectly (and dangerously). Sears was suggesting a replacement part as a manufacturer's substitution, so Tom said to order their recommendation. After the part arrived Tom came out and worked on the microwave for about an hour, finally concluding that Sears' substitution was incorrect. Here's the great part - Tom then looked online with me, showed me what to buy, told me to negotiate the price down with Sears, then showed me how to pull off and replace the door myself so I wouldn't have to pay him for a second visit. It worked beautifully- once I had the correct part I replaced it myself in 10 minutes thanks to Tom's advice. Obviously I would be more than happy to call him again if we needed another appliance repair.

Description of Work
Repair of microwave oven door.

08/28/2011

Sam S.

Refrigerator stooped cooling while we were away on vacation. After two no-show service appointments with the factory authorized dealer I called Master Appliance Repair. Tom answered the call promptly and when I described the problem on the phone he suggested it was probably a failed starter. He came the following morning and confirmed his diagnosis. He returned later that afternoon with a new starter and installed it. He also cleaned the condenser coils thoroughly and even left a brush so we could keep it clean in the future. What a pleasure to receive such good service.

Description of Work
Replaced starter and cleaned our 10 year old Kitchenaid refrigerator. Quickly analyzed the problem and secured and installed replacement starter. Tom is a first rate appliance repairman. I would not hesitate to use him again and highly recommend him to all.

12/07/2010

SANDY A.

The job went quickly and all the switches now ignite. After the job was completed Tom guaranteed it for one year instead of the usual 90 days.

Description of Work
The electronic switches on a gas stovetop would not ignite the flame. Tom ordered the control switches, removed the stovetop, replaced the switches and then replaced the stovetop.

11/10/2010

MICHAEL F.

Great job. It took about an hour to get all the frost removed from the self-defrosting refrigerator's freezer. Tom replaced a defective defrost safety control. He cleaned up and waited to make sure everything was OK.

Description of Work
Our 8 yr. old Aman refrigerator stopped cooling. I called Tom at 8:00 am - he called back about 15 minutes later. He arrived at about 9:00 am. He had to remove quite a bit of frost from the freezer - most of which was behind a panel. He diagnosed the problem, had the parts, and fixed the problem.

08/28/2010

JUDITH H.

We bought a GE Dishwasher new in 2006 and had it installed by a plumber. It never seemed to work as well as our old dishwasher which we thought had something to do with the "energy saving" functions, so we just accepted the poor performance. Gradually, the problem worsened until the dishes were not only not getting clean, but objects on the top rack were coming out dirtier than they went in. Tom found that the hose had been incorrectly installed and the water flow was restricted by debris and pieces of plumber’s tape. We were delighted by the results of the first full wash load we did. Everything was clean and sparkling. I wish we had called Tom years ago.

Description of Work
Dignosed problem and repaired using new hose. Also advised us to use less detergent for better results.

07/05/2010

Robert D.

Wonderful to work with. Very professional, courteous & prompt.

Description of Work
Repaired convection microwave oven

Category appliance repair, small appliance repair

04/14/2010

LISA D.

I was able to reach Tom, the owner, the morning my service appoinrment occurred. We set up an appointment for late afternoon and he said he would call me about one hour before he could be at my house - which was great, because I work outside of the home - I wish the cable company would offer customer service like that! Tom arrived on time, promptly removed the piece of metal and recommended the cather be replaced (which was the reason the piece of metal fall down in the disposal in the first piece. He was at my house for approximately 1 hour and cleaned up after himself. The cost of the replacement catcher was $10. He charged me a total of $169 for labor and materials, I thought that was very fair.

Description of Work
Removed a piece of metal from garbage disposal that was jammed between two parts in the unit itself. Plus, he replaced the plastic catcher that sits on top of the sink drain to prevent things from falling down into the disposal that should not.

Category small appliance repair

04/15/2009

Paula B.

He was great. It would have cost us $750 if that part had to be replaced. He tried to troubleshoot over the phone so that we would not be charged the trip charges. He was prompt- he came out the next morning. He knew exactly what he was doing. I have used him twice.

Description of Work
He fixed our microwave that flashed conduction oven.

Category small appliance repair