IMPERIAL WOOD FLOORS

Founded 1995 • With Angi since March 2007

We are a small locally owned company specializing in wood floor installation, repairs and refinishing of your new or old wood floors. We use only top quality BONA water based and oil based finishes,while using a dust collection unit. FREE in home estimates and senior and military discount of 5% on

Eco FriendlyEco Friendly

hardwood floors (37)flooring (9)floor cleaning (3)deck cleaning (2)

10/29/2021

Mark F.

Excellent workmanship and timely installation

Description of Work
Wood flooring infill to match existing

Work Completed On 10/18/2021

Thank you for trusting us with your project, happy we were able to blend the new flooring into your existing floors!

10/21/2020

Donna R.

They did a bate and switch. Low balled offer and claimed they never saw particle board glued to sub floor and either had to pay an additional $1500 or they were going to walk off the job. Guilted me to say they should have charged $3K. Then added 3 days longer to complete the job that could have been done a lot sooner...

Description of Work
Floor replacement

Work Completed On 09/28/2020

Hi [Member Name Removed], I am truly sorry for any confusion or miscommunication that may have happened during your project, I value any and all input from our customers. Estimates are a estimated cost and are subject to change with unforseen things like "GLUED DOWN PARTICLE BOARD" hidden under ceramic tile and hardwood flooring. Once we noticed the issue we contacted you and gave you a price to do the additional work and you agreed that it needed to be done and agreed on the price. We then worked a much longer day than normal 930 pm and even brought in myself and my wife to try to limit the the work to 1 extra day which at the end of the day you offered hugs and high fives. It was at that time I mentioned "had I known the particle board we didn't know about before demo had been glued down I would have charged double" I gave you a price on the demo and replacement of the particle board and stuck to it even though it ended up being glued down. As for other areas of your review, I do believe I was very responsive to any and all questions including multiple changes to start dates. Again, I am sorry for and miscommunication that you feel may have happened. The original project consisted of tear out of tile and hardwood in a kitchen dining area, tear out tile in foyer, use wood from demo to lace into foyer. supply, install kitchen dining and sand the new and existing wood floors. I had told you the bulk of the work would be mon,tues,wed with the final coat being done on Thursday, we finished the project Friday morning by 1030 am. (1 day behind schedule)

08/10/2020

Trisha L.

Excellent service and floors look great!

Description of Work
Sanding and refinishing hardwood floors

Category hardwood floor, deck cleaning

Work Completed On 08/04/2020

Thank you for the great review [Member Name Removed]!

05/05/2020

Ellen A.

My wife and I have done two projects with Imperial Wood Floors. We are very satisfied with both. The first project was a 1955 home that needed partial replacement and then refinishing. The new oak boards matched perfectly and the final natural result was beautiful. The second was our 1981 home that needed stain and refinishing on the Bruce Hardwood oak floor. Again, great results. Everything went well both times ... friendly, on time, fair price, professional work and great results. We highly recommend!

Description of Work
Oak floor repair and refinishing.

Category deck cleaning

Work Completed On 05/05/2020

Thank you for the continued support!

09/16/2019

Merry L.

We needed our 18 year old kitchen floor refinished and wanted to extend the wood floor from the kitchen into the dining room. In order to get a good match we needed to have a special order and a custom run from the mill to get the same width boards as in the existing kitchen floor. In the end the color match is perect and I am very glad we got a match on the width. I've seen other homes where the width is different in one room and it is very obvious that it was added and doesn't match. Jeff's team did a great job installing and finishing the floors. They were professional, polite, clean, and got down to business. Jeff and his wife came in the last day to do the final top coat and everything came out perfect. You would never know that the two rooms were not installed at the same time. I am also impressed by how little dust was created. They sheeted off the rooms they were working in and covered the surfaces. There was no dust in the rest of the house and the vacuum system they use left almost nothing in the kitchen. Top notch work.

Description of Work
Wood floor installed, existing floor refnished

Work Completed On 09/13/2019

Thank you for trusting us to complete your flooring project in your beautiful home!

09/06/2019

Elise A.

Words cannot describe how impressed we are with the work done by Jeff and his team. We had Jeff consult on refinishing neglected original hardwood in a home we were purchasing as well as putting new hardwood in our living room/dining room area. He was professional, quick with his estimate, and more than willing to answer the multiple questions we had about the process. Once the project was booked and we had moved into the home we discovered the previous owners had allowed a pet to destroy the carpeted area we intended to have hardwood placed. We emailed Jeff in a panic after realizing our subfloor would need to be replaced. Within the hour Jeff had us set up with a contractor to have it replaced. He went above and beyond for us time and again! When the day finally arrived to have our floors put in/refinished Jeff’s crew showed up on time and got right to work. They finished the project a day and a half earlier than anticipated and the results are AMAZING. Our old hardwood floors look brand new and the new hardwood flows so wonderful in our home. The results are spectacular. If you decide to chose Imperial Wood Floors for your project you WILL NOT be disappointed.

Description of Work
Refinishing entry way flooring, powder room and office. Installation of new hardwood in living room and dining room.

Work Completed On 09/05/2019

Thank you for such a great review!!!

06/11/2018

Devika D.

I highly recommend Imperial Wood Floors to anyone getting their wood floors refinished. My finished floors are beautiful and Imperial fully met my expectations. The sanding was truly low dust! They did everything that the said they would: reasonable pricing, showed up and completed the job in quoted time frame, and even took care of some extra task.

Description of Work
Over 400 SF of oak flooring refinished in my home.

Work Completed On 05/22/2018

Thank you for the great review!

05/10/2018

Don N.

Nathan and Dustin were fantastic- started early and completed the job in one day. New floor looks great - couldn't be happier with the result.

Description of Work
Tear out of existing wood floors and install new hardwood.

Work Completed On 04/26/2018

Thank you for letting us start ahead of schedule!

05/05/2018

Greg E.

We were extremely impressed with Jeff Shunk though the project did not go quite as planned. We discussed our options with Jeff and we opted to do a buff and coat rather than a re-sanding despite the risk that the polyurethane might not stick or might orange peel. Jeff came out (an hour away) the day after we called, and he carefully tested a few sections of the floor with Bona Mega and found that the poly appeared to stick well and looked great. He buffed the floors (sending us nice photos along the way) and everything looked great -- good dust and all the usual signs. Then, we get a somewhat upset phone call from Jeff because while he went out to the truck to get more of the Bona Traffic (catalyzed water based poly unlike the Bona Mega), the entire floor had turned purple. He was upset. We were very upset. It was a mess. Jeff stopped the job and went home with little hope that this would end well. We'd likely have to sand it off and go from there. Both Jeff and I called various reps and tech support people. We got mixed messages telling us alternately that this is a disaster or that it MIGHT turn out ok. Apparently, this product turns purple as it drys, but we must have had some catalyst or chemical that accelerated the reaction --likely from a cleaner or old finish. We scheduled a sanding appt with Jeff, and Jeff (still upset) cancelled his job/estimates for the next day and came out to survey the damage. To his amazement, the floor looked great. The purple had gone away. He drove home (an hour), got his work truck, came back (another hour) and finished the job. He charged us only what he promised at the beginning of the process. In summary, we got a great new finish on the floors and everything looks perfect. Jeff was extremely professional and honest with us at every step. Whatever happened on our job is almost unheard of per the manufacturer, and it could have gone either way. Jeff handled the entire mess very well, and he was patient with us when we were upset. More importantly, the finish came out great -- this is probably part luck and part due to good surface preparation by Jeff. We will use him again.

Description of Work
Buff and coat on the wood floors (800 sq ft) in a home we recently purchased.

Work Completed On 04/24/2018

I really appreciate the detailed review!

04/04/2018

Susan F.

We hired Imperial Flooring this spring 2018 to re-finish 3 rooms of oak floors in our 70 year old home in Madison and are very pleased with the work. The estimate of cost and time was spot on; they showed up when they said they would and made sure that we were satisfied with the work done at each stage. There was little to no dust throughout the process which we found amazing. Owner Jeff made sure at the end of the job that the floors were all up to our satisfaction. We are totally satisfied with our experience with Imperial Flooring and thoroughly enjoying our beautiful "new" floors.

Description of Work
Refinished wood floors

Work Completed On 03/15/2018

thank you for your business and the great review!

12/27/2017

Sandra R.

We are extremely happy with the work. Floors look beautiful. Very professional and great customer service.

Description of Work
Install wood floor and refinish wood floor in another area

Work Completed On 12/18/2017

Thank you for the great review!

11/09/2017

Michael M.

It went well taking only two days (and one day ahead of schedule) with excellent workmanship.

Description of Work
Replace carpet and engineered wood floors with solid wood flooring.

Work Completed On 10/17/2017

Thank you very much! it was a pleasure working with the two of you!

11/01/2017

Jeffrey L.

Very good work ! They installed a new floor in my living room and refinished an existing floor in the dining room and both match color and finish wise. Very happy with the results. Whole thing took 3 days including sealing and finish. I like the finish product they use much better than plain polyurethane - high traffic, low odor, and faster to use. Also did very well with all the doorways and transitions between oak floors, carpet and tile floors. Wish my budget $$ would have let me hire them to do the whole house!

Description of Work
New oak floor installed and an existing oak floor refinished.

Work Completed On 08/21/2017

10/30/2017

robert S.

I am extremely happy with the results and the craftsmanship of Jeff and Imperial. The hardest part for me was the prep of getting all my first floor empty of furniture for the time needed for restoration and curing time. I hired 2 guys to move all my stuff to lower level. Then I made plans to be gone for the time of the work. I gave Jeff my garage code to access the house. I live alone and so the house was completely empty. The work must have gone well, because I never got a call about any issues. Jeff took upon himself to cover my wall mounted flat screens from dust exposure. I was simply AMAZED at the results. Super clean and no dust residue. I have taken photos and shown others and they can’t believe it is a floor from 1959. It looks brand new and the lighter color is really beautiful. There are nail holes from previous owners putting down carpet and I didn’t expect miracles, but this is about as good as it gets. Jeff is total professional and I had good rapport when he quoted the job and anytime I talked with him on the phone. The proof is in the results. I thought the $2600 was money well spent. This refinish will increase the resale of my house dramatically and I will enjoy it in the meantime!

Description of Work
1959 house with first floor almost all wood, previous owners had carpet over the top for years, Wood was scratched, beat up, water damaged in spots, and had hard wear areas. No shine or luster to it. I needed the entire floor sanded, repaired, stained and coated.

Work Completed On 10/27/2017

Thanks allot [Member Name Removed]!

03/03/2017

Jolien C.

They were really great. The guy was very knowledgeable, shared his information. He gave me lots of options and was straight forward and affordable.

Description of Work
They sanded and refinished all the floors in the home.

Work Completed On 02/05/2016

11/03/2016

Lisa H.

Excellent. Turned out better than we expected! Estimate was provided quickly, and work was scheduled in a very reasonable timeframe. The guys did a very adequate job taping off rooms to avoid a dusty mess, and cleaned up completely after the work was done each day. Floors themselves are better than when they were new. Very professional work into corners and under cabinets. Just wish we would have done this project sooner!

Description of Work
Wood floor refinishing

Work Completed On 11/03/2016

10/22/2014

Susan K.

I love the stain color that I chose and the sanding was done because of water damage so they had to replace a few boards. Unfortunately it is noticeable the boards replaced but others may not see it. There are imperfections in the corners, stain wasn't always consistent in those areas. Some of the baseboards have that stain splattered and was not removed.

Description of Work
Sanded and refinished hardwood floors in kitchen dining room and entryway.

10/20/2014

Patrick S.

I got several estimates for having this done and I was surprised at the variation in price. Imperial wood floors had a very competitive price. They were very busy and it took about a month from when I signed the estimate to when they could come out to start the work. This was a bit longer than some of the other estimates, but not unreasonably so. The work takes two days. They sand the floors the first day and apply a coat of finish. They come back the next day and buff the floors and apply a second coat. They say that you can move furniture back into the rooms that were sanded after a day, but I waited a bit longer. They arrived pretty much on time, I let them in and showed them which rooms to sand, and left to go to work. They finished (I am told) in the middle of the afternoon, and were gone when I came back from work. They showed up on time the following day to finish the floors. I actually had them split the job into two parts, and my experience both times were similar. In one room, they had some trouble removing a previous finish, and they called me and had me come to take a look at it. Overall, I was happy with the quality of the service, and the floors look quite a bit better. They were tolerant of my asking a bunch of questions and were flexible about scheduling the two part job. The only thing to be aware of is that they were very busy so give them a call way in advance if you need this service done. There was not a problem with sawdust from the sanding. I was a bit wary of that, but they put up plastic to keep the dust from getting everywhere and used vacuums to minimize the dust.

Description of Work
Imperial wood floors sanded and re-finished the wood floors in my house.

Work Completed On 09/21/2014

10/01/2014

Angie R.

The job performed was terrible. The stain was applied unevenly and has worn worse. The wood that they patched into our kitchen was installed incorrectly so two boards raise and create a seam down the middle of the kitchen (more pronounced in the winter). This shortcut they took can not be fixed without removing all of the flooring and redoing it. There were also strange marking in the finish. When we brought in another contractor to see if the job could be fixed, they figured out the markings were footprints with the bottom seam of the bootie firmly indented throughout the room and clearly visible. Imperial Wood Floors refused to do anything / fix anything/ make any financial concession. When I see their trucks, I literally cringe.

Description of Work
We hired Imperial to refinish the wood floors in our home prior to moving in to the home.

Work Completed On 10/13/2005

sorry you had a bad experience with Imperial Wood Floors, since your project I have taken over. I assure you this would not happen under new management. I would be happy to take a look and see what we can come up with to remedy the problem.

08/13/2014

Cynthia R.

Jeff came buffed and resealed the wood floors. They looked like new again!

Description of Work
Resealed the wood floors we had resanded and sealed two years ago

Category flooring contractor, hardwood floor, floor cleaning

Work Completed On 07/29/2014

08/02/2014

Catherine A.

This was a tricky job because I wanted to extend the refinished wood floor that I had for 15 years. This meant that the wood and the finish would have to match exactly. It required removing some pieces of the existing floor so as to blend the old wood with the new. To make things more complicated, you couldn't buy the same flooring that I had. Jeff found wood that would match, it was blended perfectly. No one could tell that this floor wasn't done at the same time. He made the old floor look far better than we ever imagined it could. Here is the really great part: His crew of two started on the day that they were scheduled to start and they finished when they said that they would finish. They were professional, worked hard, asked necessary questions, helped work out a problematic area and finished when they said they would. One day they stayed late just so they would have it done on time. There was very little dust because of their dust containment system. I was charged exactly per the estimate. They made my yellowed, glossy, dated floors look beautiful and modern.

Description of Work
They refinished the wood floor in my large kitchen and added and blended more wood floor to extend the wood into a hall and foyer.

Work Completed On 07/22/2014

05/31/2013

Robert M.

Everything was done according to plan and to our satisfaction. The only glitch was that dust from the removal of the existing subflooring fell into the basement on furniture we had stored there. A heads up on this problem would have been nice since we could have covered the furniture. Other than that everything was great.

Description of Work
removed carpetings and old floor underlayment. Installed new underlayment and hardwood floors in LR and DR. Sanded and finished new flooring with Swedish floor finish. Sanded and refinished existing hardwood floors in Kitchen and dinnette.