Gross Heating & Air Conditioning Inc

Founded 1925 • With Angi since May 2000

3260 N 126th St

Brookfield, WI 53005

Gross Heating and Air Conditioning has been serving Milwaukee and the surrounding suburbs since 1925 with quality service, HVAC repair, and installations. Our work goes far beyond the basic residential and commercial heating and cooling systems. We can design any type of energy-efficient indoor

12/02/2020

Gwen S.

Really really great. Always on time and professional. Give good instruction.

Description of Work
Installed new furnace and HVAC Maintenance

07/02/2020

Jeff N.

This is an update to my earlier review. I've docked them two stars (that is, the average of this "F" and the earlier "A" is a "C") because, in retrospect, the installation had several issues and problems they should have caught. Specifically: the control box for the zoning system did not correctly operate the dampers, leaving air flowing to the first floor even when the first floor thermostat was not calling for air. When the system was installed, it was definitely an improvement over the non-zone system it replaced, so we didn't really know that that excess airflow should not have been happening. Over time, however, it seemed to grow worse--and despite having Gross out a couple of times, they never addressed this. In fact, when we called them for a quotation to replace our A/C unit, even though we specifically mentioned this problem, they made no particular suggestions on fixing it nor did they check the control box. It was only when we had the new A/C/ unit installed and tuned by another company that the faulty set-up was discovered and corrected. So: first, Gross installed the system incorrectly, and then, despite our complaints about the flow imbalance, did not investigate deeply enough to solve the problem and, even in soliciting a quote for a new, more effective A/C system, still did not think to check why our current setup (which they installed) was not working properly. As A/C experts, they should have known that such excess airflow indicated a problem and was not how the zone system was supposed to work.

Description of Work
furnace-a/c installation

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, air duct cleaning

03/05/2020

Ruth S. A.

I like several things about them. They really know their information. They could explain to us why our heating is in a bad shape. It was a gas heater and inside it it has a burner. That's why we called them in the first place. The equipment they put in was quality. The people who live there are very happy. We use them now to tune up our furnace. We call them first. They offer equipment in several different price points. They answer question very thoroughly. They are very good explainers.

Description of Work
It was 2013, we moved but before we moved we replaced the heating and air conditioning unit.

09/27/2019

mary D.

They were great.. Had have them forever. Always been fine.

Description of Work
Hvac maintenance

08/21/2018

Donna S.

I called to request service on the central air. A service man was at my door in half an hour. Talk about speedy service. The service man replenished the freon and did a check up and cleaning.

Description of Work
Air conditioner was not cooling.

08/06/2018

Ilze B.

From selling to the install, Gross Heating did an excellent job. When Jeff first came to the house to give us a quote, he was very accommodating and laid out all the options so we could make our best selections for a new furnace and a/c. The installers arrived on time. The first thing they told me was that they were working for me and their job that day was to keep me happy and they did! The install itself went very smoothly overall. Mike explained how to operate the equipment to us in terms we could understand. The job site was thoroughly cleaned up before they left. I called the office to arrange for payment and the office staff member was very cordial. Everyone in the company behaved professionally and are just nice people. Gross Heating did an excellent job and I highly recommend them. The air-conditioning unit works so much better than our old one. This one dehumidifies without getting the temp too cold in the house. It is so very quiet too. Love the easy to use thermostat. Its summer, so no comment on the heating capabilities. Cost listed is before the various rebates are applied.

Description of Work
Replacement of Gas Furnace and Central A/C

06/21/2018

James S.

Mike the technician arrived promptly as scheduled and did a terrific job replacing my very old, outdated central air unit. Also repaired 3 base registers that were not secured properly to the walls. Mike had to fabricate some sheet metal parts to make registers fit. Work areas were protected and everything was left clean and tidy when finished.

Description of Work
Replace 30 year old central air unit. Repair 3 base registers.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, metal restoration

Thanks for the review. Glad Mike could help you out with the three registers.

06/18/2018

Mary D.

Highly trustworthy! Had they not responded as quickly as the did we would have needed to replace our furnace for sure.

Description of Work
Furnace repair

12/04/2017

Harriett B.

He arrived promptly, explained what was needed and completed the repairs. Since the furnace was still under warranty, there was no charge. I have a 10 year parts and labor warranty.

Description of Work
Furnace tune up and repair of a condensate line that was broken. Furnace was still under warranty.

11/15/2017

Anthony N.

I had a furnace that was in the brink. They put in some new coils and stuff like that. They didn't completely solve the problem. I'm still having the problem with the same stupid furnace. Nobody's been able to solve it. Their suggestion to me was to change out the furnace, which is not really cost effective for rental real estate depending on where you are. Incomplete. It didn't solve the problem. It just patched the problem.

Description of Work
They provided repair services for a furnace.

11/01/2017

Maxine S.

The repair was made quickly and at a fair price. Everything was clearly explained.

Description of Work
Furnace repair.

10/31/2017

Jeff N.

Very effective—installation was timely and efficient

Description of Work
We hired Gross to install a new furnace and reconfigure our heating system. Specifically, we wanted to solve the problem of ineffective heating and A/C on the second floor. Gross suggested a zoning system whereby heating and cooling could be directed variably according to independent thermostats. This has solved our problem.

09/21/2017

Randy R.

The process from quote to installation was professional and delivered on my expectations. I obtained four quotes from reputable contractors on Angie's list and they gave me the best value for a new air conditioner. They arrived on time and completed the work in a half day. Just in time for Indian Summer.

Description of Work
Replace an existing air conditioner that had defective coils.

09/20/2017

JULIE M.

Gross Heating was very professional from the initial office contact, to the salesperson, and lastly, the installer. The dehumidifier is exactly what I wanted and has done a great job bringing the humidity level down below 50% throughout the entire basement. I wish I would have made the investment years ago.

Description of Work
I have a very damp basement and wanted a larger capacity free-standing dehumidifier than is available at big box stores.

09/07/2017

GINGER F.

I would say pretty good. I buy filters from them every four months, and I go to their store and buy that. They are pretty nice. They are really expensive. Responsiveness is pretty good. I didn't like the one guy I had. I would recommend them.

Description of Work
I had a new furnace put in.

08/28/2017

Robert H.

Annual inspection and cleaning. They do fine. No improvements needed.

Description of Work
Annual inspection

07/12/2017

Jake S.

Randy's arrival at the scheduled time was preceded by a call from the Gross office informing me that a technician was on his way. He explained my options for a slow coolant leak. The recharge that he performed was only a temporary fix that will hopefully get me through the next cooling season. Randy was done in an hour. When this coolant leaks out (and it eventually will) I'll be calling Gross again to replace my 21-year-old A/C and furnace.

Description of Work
Recharge my air conditioner with 2 lbs of R22

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Glad to hear everything went well with the service call. Thanks for your feedback.

06/14/2017

Margaret G.

Gross has been very helpful helping us to navigate the outdated heating system in our 1930's home. Really appreciate their honest advice and fair prices

Description of Work
Helped us identify heating issues in our new "old" home.

05/04/2017

MARIE S.

They are very good and trustworthy. I have come to rely on them and their expertise and I would highly recommend them.

Description of Work
I have been using them for over 20 years for heating and AC maintenance needs. They have also replaced a couple of HVAC systems in the past as well.

05/03/2017

Steve F.

Punctual, professional, affordable, and high quality product.

Description of Work
Removal of old furnace. Install new Carrier Infinity modulating furnace, humidifier, wifi thermostat, and ductwork.

04/10/2017

Gardner H.

Excellent experience. Responsive to inquiry for estimate, representative came onsite to provide estimate and service was done on time, in professional manner and at a reasonable cost. Highly recommend.

Description of Work
Needed to get section of duct work replaced.

04/04/2017

Antonio O.

I remember that we thought it was expensive, because it was mostly the labor. I think my husband had figured it out. They were very responsive.

Description of Work
They replaced a part. They had installed the furnace and there was a noise, so they replaced the part in it.

02/05/2017

Shawn R.

Excellent job. I called on a Monday and they were available the next morning. Very quickly identified that secondary heat exchanger was failing. He went and got the parts and had completely disassembled and rebuilt the furnace (while properly checking everything) before noon. Prompt, clean, professional, and resolved it quickly.

Description of Work
Furnace repair

01/24/2017

Sarah B.

It's always rough having workmen in your house. The Gross Heating crew was very professional and worked as quickly as they could. We have baseboard heat, radiant heat in some of the floors and radiators. Gross successfully integrated all 3 systems and we have conforming temps on both floors which was an issue with the old system.

Description of Work
Replaced furnace

01/06/2017

STEPHANIE T.

I have them come out periodically for the tuneups. I used a coupon, it was one of the deals that they had. Their customer service is very friendly and the technician arrived on time, knew exactly what he was doing and didn't take long. It has been working fine. Everything was fine. The technician was professional and has manners. It took maybe about 30 minutes or so.

Description of Work
They tuned up the furnace.

Over the Top Roofing & Construction

Over the Top Roofing and Construction was established over a decade ago and have built a reputation for exceptional work and customer satisfaction. We have earned our reputation for excellence by delivering personalized service and expert installations. We can repair any damage to exterior of a home or building and make a difference in the appearance of your home. Over the Top Roofing and Construction has a perfect record with the BBB and we are fully bonded and insured. We know that choosing a contractor is a very important decision that you, the customer, will make because you live with the results of the work for years to come. Our customers know that they will receive outstanding workmanship and value for their dollar. Please note that we do charge credit card fees back to the customer.

Art Karos, LLC - DBA Art's Chimney & Stonework

Arthur Karos has been an expert in Masonry for 23 years and a Master Mason for 12 years. With 85 year of combined experience along with his five employed master Masons, you can expect the job to be expedited in a professional manner. We do chimney brick laying and stone work, chimney repair, flue installs & repair, ash-pits doors, stainless steel flue caps, Tuck Pointing, replace bricks, and insurance work for brick damage. Chimneys, masonry and stonework are done with expertise. We can custom match stone and color match mortar for Tuckpointing or masonry repair. FOR FASTER SERVICE, PLEASE USE ANGIE'S LIST MESSAGING!

2022 Super Service Award

Legends Fireplace & Chimney Services

Check, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Financing Available

Installation, service & maintenance of residential & commercial heating & cooling forced air systems. Radon mitigation, indoor air quality products, hydronic & steam heating systems.