Altered Earth LLC

Founded 2006 • With Angi since August 2008

7508 29th Ave SW

Seattle, WA 98126

Best email: alteredearth@gmail.com. Super Service Award winning every year since 2010. Additional contact name - Michele Morgan, Office Admin...

12/17/2015

Allison K.

Final product The main reason Altered Earth isn't getting a D is the final product. It's gorgeous. The carpenters who did the product made practical recommendations about how to implement the design that resulted in a product that exceeded our expectations. The other reason they aren't given a fail is that the owner ate the cost of addressing some site issues that his project estimator missed. The owner did this to ensure that the final fence was going to be sturdy and fit the site. Once he realized that the project was going sideways he did his best to remedy it. Kudos for that. Communication Communication with the business owner was incredibly stressful. He over-shared his stress and personal circumstances, and he brought a very highly charged intensity to every communication. This made the overall project very very stressful for us to the point where my spouse and I were fighting about whether to kill the project rather than continue. The communication was so bad that I will deal with some gate issues we are having by paying someone else to come fix it rather than have to deal with the business owner again. Timeliness There were timing issues from start to finish. The lag time in getting the bid should have been a red flag, but we were sold on the quality that was promised so I overrode my better judgement. The fence took over 6 weeks to finish due to delays at every stage. Workers would say they were going to show up and then wouldn't. The owner said things would happen and they didn't. Many times the workday consisted of 11 - 3. So our entire front yard was a job site for the majority of the summer. Work site/process The staining took over our garage for over a month. The cutting and staging of the wood took over the entire front yard. Bags of garbage were left after the work was completed. At one point we had a fire when some stain-soaked rags caught fire. Need I say more? Would I recommend Altered Earth If you want a beautiful product and are willing to suffer to get it, then by all means choose this provider.

Description of Work
Provider built a custom fence and did some other site work such as low retaining terraces.

Category fencing,landscaping,woodworking,driveway gates

I think [removed member's name] gave a pretty accurate assessment of this project. Sadly, the finish carpenters that I enlisted to perform a simple scope of work turned into a major communication and performance breakdown, the likes of which I have never seen or experienced. Not only did I eat major costs, I also personally performed, at no cost of labor, procurement, trucking, installation of rockery terraces and site grading, amongst mitigating misunderstandings and misrepresentations of timing and processes. The estimator that I had working on the project was new to the company, and did not identify major issues which impacted the build process, costs, and projected schedules. Though the product turned out looking great, the process was extremely hectic and costly for my company, and very stressful personally, given I am extremely busy, and my team was not pulling their weight. They have all been released from service with the company, and though I enjoy constructing architectural fencing, I do not accept projects under 100k for this very reason; budgets are tight, and good help is expensive. [removed member's name] were as understanding as they could have been in this very difficult and disconcerting scenario. I applauded their patience throughout the unraveling project, and did everything I could to keep it on-track. The fence looks very nice, and our design sensibilities apparently exceeded their expectations. I personally give the performance of the project an "F" and was basically embarrassed to be adjacent to such poor on-site performance for such a simple project. I appreciate your candid analysis of the project, and wish you the best moving forward. The construction industry can be very difficult to staff with quality individuals, especially when it is custom construction. I tried to trust in my builders to make it happen without my handholding, but sadly that did not pan out, and we lost respect and profit in the process of finishing the work. That said, I do not walk away from a project until it has been completed to my standard, regardless of what process may need to occur. If custom construction were more similar to a trip to Walmart, perhaps it would be different, but humans and all of their unique eccentricities truly find a stage within the demographic of construction workers. We appreciate your business and apologize for the difficulty that you experienced while working with us. -MV

03/18/2015

Lesley .

It was a pleasure working with Mark. He was very responsive when I first reached out for a quote and helped define my landscaping needs. He respected the ideas I had to fix an old concrete patio and finish a retaining wall project a different contractor had abandoned. He was thoughtful with his solutions, fixed mistakes the previous contractor made, he was creative with the challenges my property presented, and took initiative to repair other issues that were revealed during demolition (e.g. rotted wood). Throughout the project, Mark kept me well informed about the process and issues as they came up. His team was professional, skilled, and friendly and he took the time to talk through the challenges some parts of the project presented. His creative solutions also helped keep costs low. It has been a year and a half since the work was completed and everything has held up well. I get so many compliments on the landscaping and patio work and love looking out at it every day. Very happy and would recommend Altered Earth to anyone.

Description of Work
Retaining wall, excavation and leveling of soil, patio stone and plant bed installation, demolition of pergola and rotted wood, preparation and resurfacing of concrete patio.

Category decks,excavators,fencing,landscaping,woodworking,hardscaping,patios

10/22/2014

Demetre P.

On time, on budget, superb workmanship, great to deal with...can't think of anything but good things to say.

Description of Work
Installed drain system, reconstructed & landscaped side property to retain soil and help percolate water that was flowing across the property and resting in a large pool against our home. From the rains we've had so far, it's working like a charm. Helped rebuild water feature - looks amazing! We can finally "use" it, and the kids can't wait to get fish in the pond. Re-built entire landscape lighting, installed new LED fixtures throughout. Was entirely available and very proactive to make sure all concerns and questions were addressed immediately which was invaluable. Mark and his partners could not have been more accommodating. So refreshing, and so appreciated!! to

Category excavators,fencing,landscaping,drain pipe,fountains,outdoor lighting,outdoor kitchens

06/04/2014

Ruby G. N.

They got the job done quickly and did a great job. All of them, including the office staff, were so great.

Description of Work
They put up 3 sections of fencing.

Category fencing

02/23/2014

Stuart D.

Altered Earth is simply the best contractor we have ever worked with - and we've worked with many as we resuscitate our century-old Victorian kit home. AE runs like a clock - on time, on budget, and (most importantly) on goal. Beyond that Mark and the crew at AE can work with vague ideas and turn them into spectacular ones. To find a contractor with both strong creative and project management skills is such a gift. We couldn't recommend him more enthusiastically! Specifically Mark worked to remodel 1200sf of outdoor space. We have very modern tastes and have struggled, for years, with landscapers who just don't grasp our aesthetic. From our first meeting it was clear Mark was different; he was very enthusiastic and we wound up brainstorming the basic layout in thirty minutes. And it was a collaboration. Mark would bounce ideas off of us, and we to him. Some stuck and others didn't. But it was a real partnership and that was a big win for Altered Earth. The plan called for around 300 feet of custom fencing, a hardscaped front living space including a large propane fire pit and sleek concrete planters. Mark also shared our passion for lighting and we collaborated on a setup that was both functional and dramatic. Mark also brought some truly innovative ideas to the table, like our built-in shed that is part of the fence line, leveraging an open space between to trees (hard to describe but - trust me - it's brilliant). Or running a propane feed line that terminates inside the shed, elegantly hiding unsightly propane tanks. Basically, at every turn, Mark delivered the most elegant and functional implementation possible. We did the work in late winter and early spring so there were unavoidable weather delays. Mark kept us informed and dynamically updated expectations based on the latest information. The project was initially planned to end in April but it ran into early May due to inclement weather; hardly something AE can be dinged for! Besides, we'd rather have it done right than hurriedly. AE has a talented cast of sub-contractors, notably their cement guys who were laboring for about two weeks to ensure the forms were clean, smooth, and level. Getting modern concrete right isn't easy; that smooth finish doesn't just happen. And Mark made sure it all kept to plan. Billing was awesome. Mark quoted a fixed-budget contract which meant that -- unexpected work or change orders aside -- I didn't have to worry about overruns. And there were NO surprises. Mark cast a budget and stuck to it. I can't begin to describe how much stress that takes out of these things. We've worked with some highly skilled contractors who did amazing work -- but they couldn't control budget so each job was like playing Russian roulette with my finances. Since Mark was heavily involved in the planning he was able to accurately predict cost and the only increases were due to minor but late changes we asked for. In the end we got the outdoor space we've wanted forever. We spend as much time in it as we can, even when it's cold. Since the space abuts the sidewalk we occasionally hear passersby compliment the fence and lighting; it's a real showcase. And, of course, it's been a singular space for entertaining. We've hosted many wonderful gatherings and our friends and family simply love spending time there. So, thanks, Mark! We're very grateful for your amazing work and hope many others leverage your many skills to bring their dream spaces to life.

Description of Work
Massive outdoor space remodel emphasizing hardscapes and modern landscape architecture.

Category fencing,landscaping,hardscaping,outdoor kitchens

01/09/2014

Langley S.

I would recommend Mark and his team any day. I met with several contractors per our plans and Mark was the only one that was super enthusiastic and offered new ideas to our thoughts. We wanted someone to help us with our vision and do a superb job and we got that and more. Mark, on more than one occasion, would stay late into the evening in our backyard brainstorming with us and we greatly appreciated his time to listen and offer great ideas. He was the only contractor that realized we needed to add an additional step to our existing basement steps due to some slope issues in our yard. The team worked fast and efficient and listened to any concerns we had and adjusted something if we felt it needed to change. Mark is talented and has an excellent eye for detail. He would recommend a product but also be realistic with our budget in mind. You get what you paid for and Mark is the real deal.

Description of Work
Mark and his team completely leveled and demoed our existing backyard to accommodate a new patio, lawn, beds, fence, and deck. His team installed a 400 square foot paver patio, built two new small cedar decks off the back of the house (per our permit plans), installed a 17 foot-long sitting wall with a blue stone cap, installed lights into the sitting wall and decks (his electrician installed a switch inside), built and installed a pergola to grow hops, built a new cedar fence with two gates, fixed some downspout issues, installed a new sub-panel in the garage and outfitted the garage with plugs and lights, installed a new lawn, and prepared planting beds at ground-level for us to start planting. All of this work was done on a small lot for a 1925 Ballard home.

Category decks,electrician,fencing,pavers, gravel,hardscaping,outdoor lighting,driveway gates,patios,outdoor kitchens

09/22/2013

Thomas M.

Mark was great to work with and very professional. Before the project, we had a good conversation about project ideas, and Mark was very clear on what he planned to do based on our goals. His crew(s) were quick, polite, and performed quality work. The retaining wall installation went very quick and was fairly standard wall work, and it looked great and was exactly what we needed. The fence was more involved as it required installation on top of the new wall, but also to integrate with the neighbor's fences as they were on different levels or in poor condition. In addition, part of the fence was doubled up with boards and mitred to reduce gaps in the boards for sound reduction/privacy. We also had a sound proofing material installed between the boards as the fence lines a busy road. You can't even tell the sound proofing material is even there. I've had fences installed in prior houses but this was one of the best looking installations I've had done. The project went smoothly with no significant issues and it was quality work. I would use Mark and team again.

Description of Work
Removal of existing deck, fencing, medium-sized tree, and old concrete debris. Removal of weed growth, soil regrading, and gravel install on side-yard. Installation of 2ft retaining wall around back yard perimeter. Installation of wall-mounted custom build 6ft fence. Fill and grading of yard behind retaining wall.

Category fencing,landscaping,masonry

09/21/2013

Karen R.

Marks crew was always there on time. They kept the tidy, Making a few changes didn't seem to be a big deal,

Description of Work
Mark transformed my front and back yards. He built retaining walls, fences, large parking pad and beautiful rock wall

Category concrete repair,decks,excavators,fencing,masonry,pavers, gravel

08/02/2013

Debbie Z.

That was the best paving job we ever had done. It was well-set. It looks beautiful. It's phenomenal for insuring things were leveled. He was very creative around the problems that developed with our yard leveling. The workers were friendly and communicative. They were willing to work with us on the design and come up with their own ideas and recommendations and work with ours. They were punctual. They're one of the few contractors that I've seen that actually came to a dedicated time in the job and finished it. They didn't go away, come back and go away and come back. I would highly recommend them! It all looks great!

Description of Work
Altered Earth did pavers and leveling of our yard. He built a retaining wall and a cement deck.

Category decks,hardscaping

12/31/2012

Timothy Y.

I was moving into a house and needed Mark's help in sealing off the backyard for our dog. I showed him a number of photos of fences that I liked (including, as it turns out, several that he had designed), and asked the he design and build a fence and pair of gates that fit well within the neighborhood. My timeline was quick ... I had just purchased the house and needed the fence done before we moved in. Mark designed a very nice cedar fence and gate system for us, and came out with a co-worker and did the work exactly as promised. It's pretty much the nicest 6" tall cedar fence I've ever seen. Mark does great work. I would be pleased to have him come out do more work for us in the future. Thanks!

Description of Work
Installation of two gates, small panelling with removal fence section -Set up, mobilization of machines and labor, job staging. -Core drill and post setting at N gate location. Posts are to stand proud of garage and home structure. No ledgering. -Construction of gates and light paneling/removable panel. Design to be somewhat consistent with neighboring fence to the N side. Removable panel design consistent with verbal discussion i.e. pintle/gudgeon bracketing. -S side latch post will be sleeved, and removable for access when removing panel. -All gates/paneling will be constructed from tight knot cedar. -All bracketing installed will be HD black powder coated or stainless. -De-stage jobsite. General clean-up, and client satisfaction walk through.

Category fencing

Emerald City Chimney Inc

Additional phone number - (206) 522-0290. Cost is determined by the scope of work.

Spencer Construction

Masonry Services, Chimney Repair, Tile Flooring, BBQ's, Firepits. We guarantee your satisfaction and we won’t leave until the job is done right. We pride ourselves on the quality work we provide, while delivering great customer service! Check out our services offered and call or click to schedule a free estimate today.

Sta-Built Construction LLC

At Sta-Built Construction we do all we can to make your project easy. It starts with a FREE ESTIMATE.Our estimates are very comprehensive and we ensure that you will be happy with the many design ideas we offer and upgrade options. We offer special financing deals to all of our customers. Right Now you can get a 12 MONTHS SAME AS CASH LOAN to finance your project. We stand behind our projects with a strong 5 Year Warranty. Give us a call to get your project started!!!

Offers by Sta-Built Construction LLC on Angi
    Satisfaction

Custom home design-build construction and remodel, landscaping, hard scaping, fencing, decking, arbor, pergola, decorative iron, natural and paving stone, patios, pathways, steps block walls, lighting, irrigation, structures and carpentry, dry stack walls, ledge stone, gardens, rockery, water features, concrete, flat work, walls, exposed, decorative, stamped, retaining walls, stairs, outdoor living: kitchen, storage, arbors, entertainment centers and any other creative ideas our customers like!