West Coast Decks

Founded 1990 • With Angi since April 2007

1420 NW Gilman Blvd #2135

Issaquah, WA 98027

We have been designing and building custom deck projects in King County for over 21 years. We specialize in using manufactured decking products such as Timbertech, Fiberon, Azek and Trex. But, we also work with Cedar and natural wood products. Contractor's #WESTCCD905DU. We did business as Decks by JRW for 20 years and changed our name only to make it more recognizable. Our previous contractor's #DECKSJR099QG. Additional DBA - R J R Inc. Award Winning....

12/01/2021

Donna B.

Beware shady business practices. The sales/contact person's email was hacked (again). Per the owner, this has happened before. No notification from the company letting folks know, no one answered their phone (cell phone and office phone) for days. Phones track who calls, but still no call backs. Finally called the owner's cell phone and he happened to pick up. I sent in the signed contract via email, responding to the sales person's email. The response to that email was asking for the $800 deposit to get on the schedule. Which makes sense. It came from THEIR EMAIL. So I sent the $800. The company is not willing to do the right thing. They want the deposit again, though they were willing to forgo $400 of it. Their system was hacked (again), no communication from them, and they want us to pay them more money??!!? Not sure that it's our fault that they lack appropriate cyber security. Per the owner, the hack has happened before, so then why wasn't it fixed?

Description of Work
Replacing a small balcony and front porch

Category decks

We are so sorry for what the [Member Name Removed]'s have experienced. After the initial hack was brought to our attention we took immediate action to fix the problem and thought we had until we heard from the [Member Name Removed]'s. We do have protection on all our equipment at all times. But, in this day and age everyone is aware of the dangers of hacking. And, we all know that we should be as diligent as possible to protect ourselves. We take the protection of our equipment and customers information very seriously. That aside, we do make every attempt to answer our phones and respond to emails in a timely fashion. Sometimes, it cannot be helped that we are unable to answer the phone. We do not recognize every number that is displayed, when calling. If a voice mail is not left, we do not follow up on the call. Because we are a business, the amount of spam and unsolicited sales calls we receive is excessive. A voice mail from the customer is helpful if they are trying to reach us. We took some responsibility for the [Member Name Removed]'s experience and offered to reduce the cost of the project by half of the deposit amount. They should take some responsibility for what happened to them as well. The emails they received from the hackers were clearly suspect. They lacked proper punctuation, spelling and did not contain the salesman signature or even a name at the bottom of the emails. As the hacked emails progressed, the terms requested did not follow the contract terms that we provided the [Member Name Removed]'s at all. The bottom line is that all parties have been harmed. The [Member Name Removed]'s are out their deposit and we have lost business and possible future business due to the negative experience and reviews.

10/17/2018

ALAN B.

As a landscape architect and general contractor, I have recommended West Coast Decks on all of my deck projects over the last few years. Ron Spillers and his team will surprise you with their unparalleled service that includes a prompt site visit and accurate estimate for your deck, as well as a competitively priced package that includes your deck plan and all of the permitting necessary. You can study options for imported hardwoods, and recycled lumver such as Azek, Timbertech and Trex - and WCD offers the unique ability to have you visit a custom deck that is set up with a variety of finishes and options. West Coast Decks is highly recommended - and if I could give them 6 stars, I would!

Description of Work
We coordinated a deck with West Coast Decks

10/01/2018

Karen M.

WCD just completed building my new deck, nearly 6 months after I contacted them. Their nonexistent communication and lack of response to my status inquires was beyond anything I have ever experienced (and I have dealt with a lot of remodel contractors). The final product and good and the crew was great but that doesn't offset the extremely poor customer service. The final inspection was scheduled only after I contacted the City of Bellevue and found out the deficiencies in the required inspections. This minor item didn't prevent them from sending me a final invoice a week earlier. In all the remodel work I've had done I have always gotten a final walkthrough to review the work and make sure I'm happy. No such courtesy from WCD,

Description of Work
New Deck Built

04/11/2018

Duane S.

Disappointing. Clearly stated on the phone we needed a new railing, flooring and screened deck. It wasn’t a major job so we wanted to be clear. Service person showed up promptly took pictures and said he would send an estimate in a couple of days. An estimate was never sent and when we called to inquire they said they didn’t really do the work we wanted.

Description of Work
New deck railing, new deck flooring, screened upper deck.

02/19/2018

Robert H.

I hired West Coast Decks in late February/early March 2018. The engineering for the deck didn't complete until May 10th and the permit wasn't submitted until May 30th. I constantly had to contact them to find out status and usually didn't receive a response until I contacted them multiple times. My goal was for the deck to be completed by summer so we could use it. However, I felt I had to keep on top of it or it wasn't going to go anywhere. The permit was finally approved on July 2nd. The deck demolition and construction started at the end of the following week and the project took 5 weeks to complete and permit final approved and signed off on Aug 29th. It took much longer than I expected and they had usually just 1 or 2 people working on the deck at any given time. I had to cancel a planned vacation with the family and we ended up doing another trip later in August because it wasn't completed. I believe the quality of the deck is very good. I am happy how it turned out. But that's what I expected as the price of the deck was very expensive. The price was mid-range for the quotes I received. While I would recommend West Coast Decks, they have a hard time returning calls and don't respond quickly. I had a couple of friends call for estimates and they were never called back from them and so they didn't use them. A bit disappointing but apparently this was common in the construction business for homeowners this year. Contractors were all extremely busy so being customer oriented took a huge hit as many companies simply didn't care as they had too much work. Some concerns: When they started the project they were supposed to put new weather paper against the house siding (after removing the portion they would put headers on). However, they didn't add any paper, just put the headers on the existing paper that was already there. Hopefully, this won't be a problem in the future. Also, they didn't put in the flashing until I pointed it out. Flashing was brought in and the person building it decided not to use it and had it hauled away. When I noticed there was no flashing towards the end of the project (I assumed it was used which is why it was no longer on my lawn where it was delivered) I couldn't see any flashing anywhere. I brought it up to the company and they said it definitely should have been installed. The contractors they used were not very good and tried to cut corners whenever possible. I think they were employees even, not hired contractors out of Home Depot. I'm not sure what other corners were cut because I couldn't watch them constantly. But from what I did see and catch has me concerned. The deck geometry is not perfect to plan, but nobody notices it until I point it out. They did fix everything I pointed out that could be fixed, which was great and even did some work that wasn't planned (like remove the old posts from the cement and fill them) and didn't charge me extra. Overall, I don't know if I would hire them again. Everyone else I talked to that had contractors work on their property this summer had similar experiences (very slow to respond to questions, took much longer than expected, etc). So, hopefully, they learned form this and will get better.

Description of Work
Completely removed existing 2nd story deck and built a new larger deck in its place

12/15/2017

Douglas F.

Great! We interviewed three companies and Ron Spillers, at West Coast Decks, was highly professional and the most informative and helpful. He came in person to give us a bid which really impressed us. He gave us good information early in the bid process so we could adhere to building codes. We compared several products and selected a composite deck and new railing system. Ron offered advice about the quality and reliability of the products we chose. He dealt with us directly as we worked through the design process over several months. He was accessible throughout the project as questions or changes occurred and was prompt in communicating and offering creative solutions for design challenges. His foreman was pleasant and professional also, and the crew worked efficiently and stayed on time. Our deck is beautiful, and we would definitely hire them for future projects!

Description of Work
Our old deck needed to be redesigned and completely rebuilt.

09/18/2017

Bradley L.

I contacted several contractors for my deck project and West Coast Decks was the only one who charged a fee for an estimate. I chose not to use West Coast Decks because I didn't want to pay the $75.

Description of Work
Needed a new ~500 sqft deck built in my back yard.

08/28/2017

Lisa W.

It went very well. The design went well. The final product was as planned, and on schedule. I am very happy about my new deck.

Description of Work
replacement of rotted, plus expansion to new deck.

07/05/2017

Joseph B.

Would not do estimate and referred to handy man service. Too small a job without actaully seeing the 2000 Sq Ft deck space

Description of Work
There web site states they install new rail systems.

03/19/2017

Donna E.

West Coast Decks delivers! Great craftsmanship, superior customer service, solid design advice, neat work with good clean-up, and everyone is super nice. They are very good so tend to be pretty busy but once you are scheduled work is completed as planned and your new deck will be ready to enjoy for years to come. Would use them again, and again.

Description of Work
Large (14'x30') deck, railing, stairs (x2), skirting and pergola using Azek decking.