ESG Design

Founded 2006 • With Angi since May 2011

ESG Design is your source for licensed professional structural engineering services. At ESG Design, our goal is to provide our clients with expert advise, professional service, and the highest quality Engineering and Architectural design work. We are a local small business focused on the unique

CommercialA Service Provider's profile imageA Service Provider's profile image

structural engineering (77)architect (10)home inspection (6)earthquake retrofitting (2)foundation repair (1)

01/21/2022

Seth G.

The communication was excellent! I really felt comfortable working with Eli and ESG. He went the extra mile to ensure my questions were answered. I would definitely hire ESG again.

Description of Work
Home Structural Consulation

Category home inspection, remodeling, structural engineer

Work Completed On 01/21/2022

05/18/2021

Molly S.

Eli was efficient, clear in all communications and got the work done within a reasonable time. Highly recommend!

Description of Work
Energy Code updates and structural engineering for ADU plans.

Work Completed On 05/18/2021

07/23/2020

Jay D.

Analysis and blueprint notations for a reasonable fee based on the plans I provided, along with his personal connections to the precast concrete manufacturer, who was unwilling to help us directly.

Description of Work
Evaluate new floor loading on a 45 year old building

Category architect

Work Completed On 07/23/2020

06/09/2020

Tracy G.

Eli Grassley arrived as scheduled and I was able to show him the wall that I wanted to remove. He was very kind and professional and had all of the equipment he needed to do the assessment. He went into the crawl space in the attic to inspect the roof trusses. I was very happy with the service and would indeed use ESG Design in the future if the need arises.

Description of Work
I needed a structural engineer to determine if a wall I wanted to remove was load bearing.

Work Completed On 06/04/2020

11/05/2019

reginald K.

Contacted ESGDesign. Explained that I needed a structural inspection of a house. Mr. Grassley promptly showed at the appointed time. After an interior and exterior inspection of the building, land and adjacent structures; answered to my satisfaction all my concerns and questions. A written report was subsequently forwarded to me. The report contained Mr. Grassley's findings and observations in greater detail then at our meeting. The report then addressed in great detail the options I had in remedying his finding with advantages and disadvantages of the various solutions.

Description of Work
Structural integrity of house

Work Completed On 06/12/2019

07/07/2019

Patrick G.

Eli was super responsive and able to answer questions. The plans he provided were clear, and his advice sound. What has been a stressful project at times was made considerably easier with Eli’s help. I absolutely recommend ESG and will be returning for any future projects we may have.

Description of Work
We needed to complete a seismic retrofit per city requirements, and could not do things per the schedule set out in code. Additionally, we needed two decks designed as part of our reside.

Category architect, earthquake retrofitting

Work Completed On 09/01/2018

03/15/2019

Roberta R.

Mr. Grassley is clearly capable and professional. I was particularly grateful that when an earlier time slot opened up on his calendar, he offered it to us. And when our decision-making timetable necessitated some information ahead of his reporting schedule, he took extra trouble to help us. I really appreciated the whole experience.

Description of Work
Structural survey of church roof

Work Completed On 03/15/2019

10/30/2018

Elloween H.

The job was performed as quoted, in a professional manner.

Description of Work
Structural evaluation

Work Completed On 12/15/2018

10/07/2018

Eric P.

Eli was professional and extremely responsive to many follow up questions as the work was completed. Highly recommend! Eli visited my house and gave me a lot of great advice, followed by iterating on a design to improve my basement by removing some posts. This required reenforcing the existing beam with steel c-channels and installing new posts. This job was complex and some requirements changed as the job progressed (for example as we examined the foundation). Eli was extremely throughout the job, and even adjusted his design at one point when we discovered some new information about our foundation.

Description of Work
Engineering design for reenforced beam and new posts.

Work Completed On 10/07/2018

10/01/2018

Saskia D.

They declined the job. Said it was a job for an architect, not an engineer. Why did Angie's list send me to an engineer? I'm pretty sure I started out looking for an architectural firm, but I was too uninformed about such things to realize: a. I only needed an architect; b. ESG, the only reference made by Angie's list, did not do both engineering and architecture. The question: "Would you hire again?" Only "yes" or "no" was available. My answer is "MAYBE" if I needed an engineer, but I don't foresee such an need. Also, "again" is wrong, since I didn't hire them in the first place. Which brings me to the point of saying, I have no real reference about their work to provide. Better the potential buyer obtain references from the firm, itself and then, have a look at the finished product.

Description of Work
Deck enclose and cover

Work Completed On 10/01/2018

While ESG Design strives to help all of our potential customers with their project, sometimes we are not the right fit for the job. In this instance, we responded to the customer within 1-day and provided references to other architectural firms that do quality work better suited to the project - which would seem to be both responsive and professional. Perhaps this review was meant as a comment on Angie's List, and not on ESG Design?

08/29/2018

Gail M.

The consultation was tailored to my questions about a specific area of the foundation. Eli was prompt, professional, and easy to talk with. He provided valuable insights that I'll use to guide my decisions. Bonus: the Angie's List coupon helped defray part of the cost of the consult.

Description of Work
Consultation

Category structural engineer, foundation repair

Work Completed On 08/08/2018

06/06/2018

Christa S.

ESG was very professional. Showed up on time and did a detailed inspection which included climbing up into the crawlspace. We found out our walls we wanted to remove were not load-bearing. We tore them down without any structural issues the following weekend.

Description of Work
We needed two walls assessed to see if they were load-bearing before removing them.

Work Completed On 05/14/2018

05/07/2018

Matthew K.

The meeting was great, discussed 4 different projects, got an early indication of what needed to be done, and all my questions were answered. Now it's clear what is viable and how I can move forward. Scheduling could have been better (I was moved at least 3-4 times), but everything was otherwise very professional. Would use again.

Description of Work
Engineering Consultation for several projects

Work Completed On 04/03/2018

We appreciate your flexibility on the schedule [Member Name Removed]. Thank you for the positive review!

04/18/2018

Jared W.

Although Eli arrived on-time, was professional and knew his trade, we paid $400 for what amounted to an estimate, delivering no usable reports or products other than an engineer's estimate that our home would support a second story after some foundation repair. This did not meet our expectations, since an estimate is basically an audition for future work. Perhaps his services are more suited to much larger projects with much bigger budgets than our 1600sqft house required.

Description of Work
Engineering Estimate

Category structural engineer

ESG Design is sorry if there was any misunderstanding with the services that we would be providing. We are confident that we delivered all of the services that were initially quoted, in writing, so we believe a negative review is unwarranted. Our long history of positive reviews speak for themselves. For a Site Inspection Consultation only visit, there is no "report" or "product" that we deliver, nor was one ever promised. We do however perform a thorough structural evaluation of your existing house, provide research on zoning and Building Code issues that may affect your project, and advise on the feasibility of proceeding with a design for your potential home remodel or addition. $400 is a small investment to make for Professional advice prior to starting a large, expensive, complex and time consuming remodel or addition project. Perhaps there is a misunderstanding about the services that a Contractor provides (free estimates to generate potential future work) and that of a Professional Engineer (paid consulting advice to inspect your home and advise on the structural feasibility, potential costs and design/permitting related considerations). ESG Design is confident that we provide valuable, unbiased, knowledgeable and professional structural consulting advice that is a smart investment for any homeowner considering a large remodel/addition project on an older home.

02/25/2018

David G.

Eli’s survey was thorough, and he discussed his findings briefly with me on site. His structural report includes an overall assessment, structural & seismic evaluation, and specific recommended retrofit actions. The photos and details in the report will make it easy to get a clean bid from a contractor, and he also recommended contractors that do the necessary work. I would absolutely work with ESG Design again.

Description of Work
We needed an engineer to survey our 1958 home for seismic vulnerabilities and recommend the correct retrofit work.

Category earthquake retrofitting

Work Completed On 02/23/2018

02/18/2018

Susan S.

Expert advice and very thorough. I will hire again when I rebuild my deck.

Description of Work
They performed a critical structural evaluation, relating to remodeling project.

Work Completed On 12/19/2017

10/19/2017

Pete K.

Very happy with your help. Thank you.

Description of Work
Remodeling consultant.

Work Completed On 10/19/2017

09/06/2017

Renee L.

Great, quick and simple. And we got the news we wanted :). He followed up with his findings and emailed that to us. It was a 4 week wait to get on his schedule, that was surprising but everyone else's schedule was about the same. Money well spent!

Description of Work
We needed to make sure that an interior wall was not low bearing, before we removed it.

Work Completed On 12/06/2016

07/20/2017

Amanda W.

Engineer was punctual and took the time to thoroughly inspect the house and make recommendations. Overall visit was < 1 hour.

Description of Work
Pre-construction structure assessment

Work Completed On 06/20/2017

07/04/2017

Peter Y.

I contacted ESG Design to submit a bid to run calculations on some plans I created for a patio roof. They were very prompt and competitive with their bid. I worked with both Eli and Denise and they were very helpful in answering any questions I had very promptly and professionally. Eli helped me get the structural part of my permit submitted and approved by the city. If I have any more needs for engineering work I will definitely contact them again.

Description of Work
Engineering

Category remodeling, structural engineer

Work Completed On 05/23/2017

06/30/2017

denise R.

Really well! Eli was able to fit me in WAY sooner than originally expected so that I could keep my project on track. He spent about an hour at my house. He examined the area and took measurements. He asked relevant questions as I explained what my goals were and I felt like he really heard me on that, which is not something you always get from contractors or other folks in this field. He gave me the advice I needed on the spot and followed up with an email that confirmed exact specifications for lumber size and what screws to use. It even had a photo that he marked up to make the instructions clear. When I had a follow up question a week later, he answered quickly. I was very happy with the experience and would recommend wholeheartedly.

Description of Work
I am converting an old addition from flat ceiling to cathedral ceiling, but ran into the kind of funky stuff typical with 100-year old houses. Needed confirmation that it was ok to cut away certain portions of the structure.

Category remodeling, structural engineer

Work Completed On 05/31/2017

06/19/2017

Damon V.

I had to cancel as we sold the house

Description of Work
structural Engineering

Work Completed On 06/19/2017

05/02/2017

Bridget K.

Eli is very busy so it took a while to actually get him out, over two week wait when we made the appointment. He was very pleasant and knowledgeable and found some issues in the attic. While he was here, we let him know we were in a legal dispute and needed his report asap. He stated it was normally 7-14 day turnaround. When the lawyers moved up the deadline for getting the information to them, we contacted Eli to see if the report was going to be done soon and he didn't seem to remember anything about the legal issue. While his response was less than friendly, he did complete the report and had it to us the next day which would have been day 9 after the inspection. The report was very thorough.

Description of Work
Structural inspection of roof/attic