AK Kreutzer Construction LLC

Founded 2001 • With Angi since November 2008

PO Box 8079

Covington, WA 98042

Family owned and operated, owner installed materials. Owner has been in the business and personally installing decking materials for over 27 years. Subs are rarely used unless for electrical or plumbing need (specialty trades) Estimates are always free. Some trip charges may apply for jobs that travel is greater than 50 miles. Every job is priced accordingly to meet the needs of each project. (not cookie cutter pricing) Larger jobs sometimes can be discounted for size of job or multiple decks. We pride ourselves on the quality of materials, workmanship, cleanliness and honesty we offer to every customer....

04/14/2015

David P.

there was other work (dry rot) to be done but they did a fantastic job. they discussed what needed to be done and how long it would take to be completed. they are like artist, looks much better and were very respectable. I would recommend them to anybody

Description of Work
remodeled bathroom for handicap person

Category remodeling

03/23/2015

David Y.

When I needed my very large, ancient and leaking roof deck replaced I contacted eight deck contractors to do the work. It was a big job which most wouldn't even come out to look at. Ultimately only three contractors chose to bid on the work. AK Kreutzer's bidwas squarely in the middle of the other two bids. The higher of the other two was a large regional does-everything general contractor with a full service project manager and all the bells and whistles (proposal came in a three ring binder) and the lower bid was vinyl decking company who bid along with a general contractor to do the wood work and stairs. I chose Ken Kreutzer because of the three (all quite knowledgeable) Ken really showed his expertise in this type of decking and proposed a design that eliminated the problems that had caused the demise of my old deck. I was confident the other contractors could do the the job and they were confident in what they proposing but Ken went out of his way to explain to me, in great detail, why what he was proposing was the best way. Overall the project went smoothly. Ken and his crew were very fastidious about keeping our yard clean of debris and Ken was good about keeping me up to date on the progress of the project. There was a slight delay due to a supplier failing to deliver our railing in time but as the railing is all made to order I can't really fault the contractor for that, I think it's to be expected in the business. Now that I've seen how my new deck has held up to the winter I can very strongly recommend Ken. He does excellent work and our new deck is amazing.

Description of Work
Demo old solid deck surface and railing, repaired wood damage underneath, installed new decking, new vinyl surface, aluminum railing, gutter and a new set of stairs on a ~600 sq ft deck.

Category decks, woodworking

01/29/2015

John C.

The quality of the work was great and the price was fair. I will definitely use them again in future and also recommend them to others.

Description of Work
They reinforced the decks.

09/25/2014

Cassidy L.

They did an excellent job repairing our front porch. His bid was the lowest that we got, and addressed our concerns exactly. After ripping up the tiles that had been incorrectly installed, they found some damage to the framing. They repaired the framing very reasonably. They also caulked some areas that they thought could cause future problems and replaced a stair riser that had water damage, for no additional charge. I had to contact them a few times in order to get a bid and get a start date for the job, but they were able to squeeze us in quickly and completed the job in only 2 days. I was very happy with the final result and would definitely work with them again!

Description of Work
Replaced a leaking solid surface front porch that was tile with a vinyl covering. Also repaired some framing that had been damaged by water.

Category ceramic tile, decks, picture framing, water damage restoration

09/12/2014

sally W.

the job was done in good time by the owner. Ken's helper was out sick so did the whole job himself.

Description of Work
Installed 3/4 plywood and sloped deck furnished and installed railing installed vinyl

Category decks, deck cleaning

06/10/2014

Hristina S.

Did good job fixing the dry rot where necessary, installed quickly the vinyl membrane. There was some delay for installing the railing but it seems to be caused by the manufacturer. Overall we were happy to work with Ken and would recommend his services.

Description of Work
Redesign deck, install waterproof vinyl membrane, gutters and aluminum railing

Category decks, remodeling

04/30/2014

Alton L.

They were great. They came up with good ideas to make our home better. They were fast, efficient and they cleaned up. We rely on them for all of our repairs. They were fantastic. We have not had any issues since the service was provided.

Description of Work
The last time that we used AK Kreutzer Construction LLC was about two weeks ago for replacing some of the trim on our home around the windows.

Category woodworking

04/20/2014

Angela W.

Good. They provided an estimate and responded promptly to questions. Would consider using in the future.

Description of Work
They provided me an estimate, but I've decided to hook up to city sower before proceeding with backyard improvements.

11/03/2013

Darryl W.

Very satisfied with workmanship and professionalism.

Description of Work
Re-surfaced deck and installed new railing.

Category deck cleaning

08/31/2013

Helen V.

I had watched this team elegantly refinish a deck with aluminum and glass railings in our home neighborhood. When a deck at a rental home that I was managing for an overseas friend leaked into the master bedroom below, my longstanding suspicion of its deficient design was confirmed. Since we ourselves owned the mirror-image duplicate of the troubled home as a rental next door, I brought in AK Kreutzer Construction, LLC, to brainstorm the problem with us and provide a quote for reconstructing and enlarging the troubled narrow deck by cantilevering an extension over its end. This would enlarge the view deck and should also protect the sliding-door glass wall of the master bedroom below against rain run-off and excessive vertical sun. To address the anticipated complication of unknown but probable longstanding dry-rot in the master bedroom ceiling structures below the deck surface an additional, reasonable 'time and materials' repair cost was also agreed on. Then we requested 10% off on twice the agreed-on price if the contractor could implement an identical prophylactic solution for our essentially identical deck next door as well; and the contractor agreed to this mutually attractive and efficient request. At this stage the Seattle architect and her husband who are the overseas owners of the leaking-deck home that triggered this exploration emphasized the desirability of additional quotes. This request triggered our exploration of the Seattle HOME OWNERS CLUB": http://www.homeownersclub.org in which we enrolled our principal residence and our own Phinney Ridge rental house (for the annual fee of $54 for out home + $10 for each rental.) This Club has long been used enthusiastically by a nearby friend to attend to indoor and outdoor house repair and maintenance needs. As anticipated, this Club promptly recommended two contractors. However, unlike AK Kreutzer, these contractors did not check out as longstanding, well-established entities with impressive representation on the internet; and their less convincing vaguer approaches came in with quotes, via the HOME OWNERS CLUB at 240% and 320% of the quote from AK Kreutzer!! Nor did either of the contractors specify how long the job would take and when it could be promised to be completed according to their open work schedule. Two excellent decks were completed by AK Kreutzer precisely as promised! Wieland von Behrens MD PhD

Description of Work
Rebuilt and extended two troubled view decks at first-floor level at two mirror-image houses.

08/23/2013

Alton L.

Ken and his assistant did a great job. They did everything they promised and more. They were on time! This is the first contractor I've ever worked with that actually came when they said they were going to come and did what they said they would do. I can't recommend Ken highly enough. Ken was very careful. When putting plywood down they used both glue and screws, and lots of screws. This deck is not going to come loose. Ken found a way to attach the railings that no one else had thought of, and it so much better than what we had expected. I was also impressed at how they cleaned up every day before leaving the job. We liked his work so much we are asking for a quote to do more work on our home. We found Ken to be honest, dependable, and his work to be top notch. Everything he did for us looks great and we are confident that we will have a waterproof deck for years to come.

Description of Work
Ken installed a vinyl deck for us. He wrapped the vinyl up under the siding and under the doors to keep water from getting under it. He also replaced the trim around the doors. Ken also fixed a problem around our patio where the bottom board on the house was touching the concrete. The concrete was actually poured after the board was installed and was a half inch up on the board, leading to potential dry rot. Ken did find one place where the board did have dry rot.

Category concrete repair, decks, patios

07/25/2013

MARIANNE S.

It went great. We are very happy with the result. They were very prompt to reply to concerns and were always professional and on-time. The actual start date did slip a week from the expected start date due to other customer projects they had to complete and a delay by Dunn Lumber in delivering the materials, but they were very prompt about communicating that to us. They even worked on July 4 to make sure the project was completed before we left on vacation. From the beginning, they were very honest to deal with and were quick to say that our deck framing was fine and did not need to be replaced, which saved a lot of money. Their price was slightly higher than the other bids we received, but we had more confidence in their ability and appreciated their timely response to questions. We requested composite materials, in part so we would never need to paint. They recommended using a slightly more expensive composite material instead of the low-end product, which proved to be an excellent choice since it is guaranteed not to fade or stain for 25 years! (We went with TimberTech Earthwood Evolutions instead of TimberTech ReliaBoard.) They removed the existing decking and rails on Friday but did not start re-building the porch until Monday. Without our even asking (or thinking about it), they nailed the old decking by the front door to ensure the kids and dogs would not accidentally open the door and fall out. We would not hesitate to hire them again or refer them to others.

Description of Work
We hired AK Kreutzer to re-build our front porch because many of our floor boards were rotting due to wind and rain. The railings and other floor boards also had paint peeling despite having been repainted only a few years ago. So we decided it was time to simply re-build the porch and not have to paint it every again! AK Kreutzer's performed the following: - Make the porch level (one support beam had sunk due to ground settling) - Replace the floor boards with composite decking - Re-build the stairs with composite decking - Replace the wood railings with aluminum railings - Ensure the support beams that rest on the garage wall do not leak water into the garage - Remove and dispose of the old deck materials

06/13/2013

Dennis M.

Contractor indicated the railing manufacturer was slow on delivery thus it took 2 weeks longer to finish the work.

Description of Work
Install deck railing

03/05/2013

Mary P.

Ken came to the site, and about 3 days later submitted a bid. He was friendly, informative, and helpful.

Description of Work
Ken Dreutzer of AK Kreutzer Construction, provided a bid for repair and re-surfacing of a ramp and some steps at our church.

02/26/2013

CHRISTOPHER J.

Although we have decided against replacing our deck for the time being and therefore did not hire Ken's services, working with Ken was such a positive experience that I fell compelled to write a review. I asked Ken for estimates on replacing our existing composite deck surface with a vinyl membrane so it would dry in the patio underneath. Ken was prompt, professional, knowledgable and amiable. He also provided lots of references with his estimate, and the ones I spoke to all stated that Ken had done top-notch work and had been a pleasure to work with.

Description of Work
I asked Ken to come round and provide an estimate to replace our existing composite deck with a waterproof vinyl surface.

01/25/2013

Richard G.

Ken did the repair according to the weather. He was careful and precise in both the construction and the cleanup.

Description of Work
Replacement of plate with a vinyl cover and replacement of slate twin with flex material on front of house.

Category decks, deck cleaning, garage builders

01/18/2013

Mike S.

We saw the company's information at a home show a couple of years ago when we purchased our home. We checked them out on Angie's list when we were ready to have the work done. Our deck is approximately 500 sq ft. and was covered with what looked like rolled roofing. We decided to use the Weatherdex 60mil product. AK Kreutzer's bid was in the middle of the three we got. We decided to use them for four reasons 1. They came out with in a couple day after we asked for a bid. 2. Ken was on time and knowledgeable 3. We received their bid in a timely manner. 4. Price. Ken was very willing to work with a company that was installing new doors and the two company's worked out scheduling. It rained most of the three days and they did a great job of tarping off the deck to keep it dry. They had to replace some of the deck surface and edging due to rot which increased the price from the initial bid but this was discussed prior to the job starting. Ken was great to work with and very nice. We love the deck and it looks great. We would hire them again

Description of Work
Good experience

01/10/2013

Rebecca S.

I needed a rooftop deck waterproofed. I found AK Kreutzer Construction on Angie's List. I called Ken Kreutzer and he came out and looked at my deck and explained everything, gave me samples of colors to choose from, answered all my questions, and even emailed me some pictures of decks he had previously completed. He gave me a list of references and I called several of them and they highly recommended Ken. Ken did a beautiful job on my deck. I could not be more pleased. I can't wait to enjoy it this summer. The entire job was done in 2 days. Ken worked alone on the first day, then had a partner help him on the second day. They were both extremely nice and neat. The work site was left spotless. The price he quoted me was exactly what I was charged at the completion of the job. I love the way the Weatherdek looks and it feels wonderful to walk on. Ken is extremely nice to work with, has an excellent product, and he is incredibly smart and talented and skilled.

Description of Work
Ken Kreutzer placed Weatherdek Vinyl Deck Covering on my rooftop deck and removed and installed glass railings.

11/13/2012

Jean M.

I was really impressed with AK Kreutzer Construction. We had him come and out and give an estimate. He was very prompt, professional, looked over the situation, and knows what he is doing. I have no complaint. I went to the better business bureau website to check on him. He seems to be very knowledgeable and got here on time. He strikes me as a real honest and capable guy.

Description of Work
We got an estimate from AK Kreutzer Construction and they started the work yesterday. He is removing the old sundeck railings and flooring. He also found a problem with our structure that will need extra attention, rotten wood in the corner of the house.

Category decks, woodworking

11/10/2012

Margo M.

My husband and I are very happy with the quality of work that Ken did. He is an expert at applying the Weatherdeck waterproof vinyl, and he took his time, paying attention to every detail. He even removed the huge sliding glass door to get access underneath it and made certain that no water would be getting into the house by traveling under the door (I wish the original installer had done that!). Ken did almost all the work himself, but had an assistant help with the initial demolition and removal/replacement of the sliding glass door. He also had another contractor install the gutters. Ken needed to remove some siding to get access to the door, and to replace it with a single piece where the original rail met the house. He primed both sides of each board to ensure the new siding will hold up against the extreme weather we get on that side of our house. We special ordered the aluminum rail, because we wanted a custom color. This held up the job by a couple of weeks. As soon as it came in, Ken gave me a call and set up a day to install it. On his suggestion, we decided to have him install the rail by mounting it on the outside fascia board surrounding the deck. This increased the amount of usable space on our deck, and improved the final appearance. So glad he suggested that! One thing I really liked about hiring Ken to do the job, is that he does almost all the work himself. When he came over to write up the bid, he was able to answer all our questions and describe in detail what he would do. It was apparent that he had an excellent understanding of what needed to be done and how to do it to ensure the deck would be 100% waterproof and aesthetically pleasing. Ken has over 20 years experience installing waterproof decking, and it was obvious during the bid process! Other businesses we contacted for a bid, didn't send the actual person who does the job, and as a result we didn't get our questions answered sufficiently. We were really concerned about the waterproofing, and needed assurance that it would be done properly! Ken was reliable, showing up to work when he said he would. He also completed the project in a timely manner and did an excellent job. We are very happy with the end product, and definitely recommend Ken to anyone needing this type of work done.

Description of Work
We have a deck above our kitchen, which is accessed from our master bedroom. the waterproofing on the deck failed , so we needed to completely replace the decking material and the plywood substrate underneath it. We also wanted to improve the view from our master bedroom, so we had the siding rail surrounding the deck removed, and replaced with an aluminum & glass railing system. This involved: Complete removal of decking material and plywood under it, replacing it with new plywood and vinyl decking material "Weatherdeck". Removal of old siding rail surrounding the deck, and replacing it with glass/aluminum rail. Removal and replacement of siding surrounding the sliding glass door and where the rail was attached to the house. Removal and replacement of 8'x8' sliding glass door in order to properly install the vinyl decking, creating a waterproof shelf to transfer moisture away from the house. Installation of flashing where the new aluminum rail met the house/roof. Installation of new gutters surrounding the deck.

02/21/2012

Erica K.

Ken came out a few weeks before the work started to get measurements and discuss some options with us for our deck replacement project. Within the week, he had emailed us an estimate and we approved the work to get started. Luckily, Ken was able to do the work while we were at work, so we left the gate open for him to get into the back yard. It took them a few days to get the deck platform off because we were able to keep some of the existing framework (yay, saved me a few bucks), but at the end of each day, they'd put down some plywood so that we could get our dogs out to the yard for their duties. It was awesome coming home each day and seeing the progress. The whole project took about two weeks and I could not be happier with the results. Ken and his crew (of one) did a fantastic job.

Description of Work
Remove old deck platform, add some framing to expand size, replaced and hauled away old deck platform.

12/01/2011

gayle B.

We are very happy with the new roof, but even happier to have found Ken. We checked three of his references and every one was as pleased with Ken?s work as we are. His bid was the best and when unexpected repairs came up, he charged us a fair price. Both Ken and his on-site assistant are very easy to talk to. Ken kept us informed throughout the whole process as we had to deal with unpredictable weather. Ken is meticulous and did a beautiful job on the roof, it?s flawless. He cleaned up the job site beautifully. Ken is also an excellent carpenter. The door to the roof deck has an overhang and about fifteen years ago we added a wood screen to shield the door from south wind and rain. Ken removed the screen to repair rot in the pillars holding up the porch roof (Another great job). I?d always wanted to replace the dark screen with glass to let light in, but wasn?t sure it was even possible. Ken said he could do it. He also installs deck railings with glass inserts. Normally, I would request a drawing of what he had in mind, but decided to go ahead so we could get it done before the bad weather set in. It turned out perfectly. My husband had been skeptical about whether a window was even needed, but after seeing the finished product, he agrees that it enhances the view. Our aging house is in need of many other repairs and it's a relief to know an excellent contractor who does his own work and cares about the result. My husband and I can?t recommend Ken enough.

Description of Work
Ken replaced our old torch down flat roof and cedar decking with a product that is both roof and deck in one. He designed and built a wall with a window in it to screen the door to the roof from south wind and rain.

Category decks, sunrooms

11/30/2011

Teresa D.

Excellent - there are more projects on the horizon we will ask him to do for us

Description of Work
Installed new deck over garage Ken came out within a few days of our call, measured and made notes on the project. He emailed his estimate within a few more days. We discussed the project and went with his suggestion, greatly enhancing my house and the deck project. He was always prompt, calling if traffic was bad etc. He did all the work himself and was very professional and easy to work with. We ended up with a wonderful, great-looking deck & railing. The quality of the work was all outstanding. He worked within the original quote and made a couple of last minute changes we had requested. This referral is strangely the same as one previously entered but it fit our project to a tee with a few minor changes. All in all, Ken is a great guy, extremely professional, and does excellent work - I hightly recommend him.

09/05/2011

Bruce K.

However, the result is wonderful. The vinyl is patterned and is quite beautiful, the railings really add a great deal to the deck and everything was installed with great professionalism and attention to detail. Ken and his partner worked very hard and were very resourceful and helpful when needed. The telephone repairman who had to come out during the project and needed a bit of siding to be removed was impressed by Ken's willingness to help and remarked that in thirty years of working for the phone company Ken was the most helpful and considerate contractor he'd ever run into.

Description of Work
We contracted with Ken, the owner of the company to have an old stone and epoxy deck surface removed and new vinyl decking installed in its place. The demo required the removal of the plywood subfloor and the installation of the a new one. As the demo was underway, we discovered a great deal of rot in one corner that had been exacerbated by moisture ants. The project would have been stalled there, but Ken's father happened to be between jobs and was able to come out and get rid of the rot and replace and repair the destroyed structural elements. We were very lucky that the rot had not quite penetrated the lowest sill plate or the repairs would have had to be much more extensive. At that point I contracted with Ken to remove the old parapet surrounding the deck and to install a new glass and aluminum railing around the deck. The rot repair, the demo of the parapet, and the new railing added about ten thousand to the job, though a large chunk of that went to Ken's father.

11/27/2010

April B.

We received estimates from 3 different contractors to have a dishwasher installed in our older home, which had never had a dishwasher. Ken had a fair price, was personable, and best of all, gave me some great suggestions and ideas when talking through the estimate with me. He helped me figure out a placement for the dishwasher that made the most sense. He also brought in a plumber to do the necessary set up. He worked quickly and we are very happy with his work, especially in figuring out a way to "match" countertop that we could not find a match for in the stores. The only reason for the B-grade on punctuality was a communication mix-up as to the date & time he'd be here to do the work. Also, during the process, a few questions came up as to the amount we agreed upon to do the work. That said, he worked to resolve both issues and we were very satisfied with the outcome of the whole project.

Description of Work
Dishwasher installation/small remodel in a kitchen without a dishwasher; garbage disposal installation.

Category home remodeling