Total Home Improvements

Founded 2000 • With Angi since May 2006

4.4

4033 George Washington Mem Hwy

Yorktown, VA 23692

Total Home Improvement company specializing in additions & alterations as well as everyday handyman needs. We employee 15 & use subcontractors for specialty fields. Family owned & operated for 20 years. Ask about our Angie's list discount. Family owned & operated. Additional DBA - Total Home Improvements Inc. Award-winning....

10/19/2021

Jack A.

Total has a lack of reguard of the permit process, the meaning of a contract, and not performing the work to minimum standards. The work was far below all manufacture's standards. They gave me a warrantee which they will not honor. They told me to never contact them again. They will not stand behind thier work. They will not honor the warrantee because they said I complain too much. Here is a sample of what I complained. 1. They installed the bathtub incorrectly, and then told me it was inoperable because it sat on its lip and not on the floor. I asked them why they would install it wrong, and they blamed me. 2. They installed a new circuit for the floor heating without a permit before walking out on the job. I contacted the city and state, because ther were several fire hazzards from the electrical work. An exa ple is that they ran the electrical wire for the heated floor across the floor of the attic. Beside being an electrical hazzard, it was also a tripping hazard. I have 20 more items, but I am out of space here.

Description of Work
Remodel bathroom

Category ceramic tile, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling

10/15/2021

Jack A.

They breach the contract when I told them that the job was done incorrectly. They said that I should have waited for them to finished .He make me signed a contract with 5 years warranty but they don't give me warranty. I have holes in my walls, an inoperable bathtub, mold growing inside my shower, and a tile in the shower that fell off the wall. They don't respond to the Better Business Bureau about my complaint.

Description of Work
They supposed to do bathroom remodel

07/02/2020

Lesly M.

Took longer than quoted! Damaged other parts of the house as the sub-contractor's did the work! Tried to keep the extra decking materials! Constantly had to have things done over, like painting and drywall! Constantly left a mess that we had to clean up! Never on time or some days did not even show up! For the quality of work and POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE, WAY OVER PRICED!!!

Description of Work
Replaced deck and remodeled bathroom

Category decks, drywall, home remodeling, interior painters, cabinet refacing

The [Member Name Removed] project was completed in 2016, not sure if the reference for this project is for Total Home Improvements. However, in the event this review was meant for Total Home Improvements, As in many remodeling projects estimated timeframes do run over due to unforeseen circumstances. It is stipulated in our contract that all materials belong to the contractor while the job is under contract. Many times imperfections in drywall work can not be seen until paint is applied. It is our normal process to correct imperfections and that will include additional painting.

07/22/2019

raymond R.

NOT WELL VERY PRICEY THOUSANDS ABOVE OTHER ESTIMATES AND WOULD NOT MOVE ON PRICE.

Description of Work
COUNTER TOPS AND LIGHTING

05/28/2019

Marla T.

Professionally, timely, great communication, and beautiful results.

Description of Work
Master tub/shower converted to tiled walk-in shower.

Category plumbing, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters

Thank you for the wondeful comments! We are so happy you chose our company to fullfill your needs.

03/21/2019

Enrique H.

My wife and I are very satisfied with the end results. Excellent workmanship, hard working crews and and quality professionals. Outstanding job site supervisor, always keeping us informed . Easy to work with and well adjusted to plan changes when the need arose. Kept work are clean and free of any job debris daily. Wonderful quality control and Management was constantly in touch with us. Strongly recommend Total Home Improvements to everyone.

Description of Work
Screen-in Porch and Patio Addition. Hallway and Master bathrooms complete renovation and Complete Outside wood framing Wrapping

Category contractors, ceramic tile, countertops, decks, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, siding, water damage restoration, replacement windows, ceiling fans, marble & granite, home remodeling, house painters, interior painters, sunrooms

Thank you for your great comments. It was a pleasure working with you.

03/04/2019

Dennis C.

Very well, professional, no complaints

Description of Work
Replace pillars on front porch, install hand rails

Category decks, handyman service

Thank you [Member Name Removed], It was a pleasure working with you. Thank you for your review.

02/28/2019

Gail & Charles E.

It was very good. Was on time with project.

Description of Work
total remodel bathroom

01/17/2019

G.A. T.

Extremely well. The work was very professionally planned, performed, and managed. The Total Home Improvement staff and sub-contractors in addition to performing excellent work were extremely reliable and trustworthy. We always felt very comfortable with the professional staff Total Home Improvements had performing the work in our home whether we were home or not. The work was started and completed on schedule.

Description of Work
We had a bathroom and laundry room built in an underutilized space above our garage. The work required changing the house roofline, installing new interior and exterior walls, and modifying the home HVAC, electrical, and plumbing systems.

Category contractors, carpet installation, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, roofing, siding, skylights, home remodeling, doors

11/11/2018

Sherry Y.

We can’t say enough good things about Total Home..The work was great and our new kitchen is awesome..They worked very patiently with us and made sure we were satisfied with everything before they started and once the project started..From our project manager, start to finish, timelines, we couldn’t be more pleased and we are very particular and detailed..They will be doing more work for us in the future..

Description of Work
Kitchen Remodel

Category home remodeling

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience! We appreciate your business and are so pleased that you are happy with your kitchen and our service!

Ryan W.

New front porch, most recently they wrapped the vinyl soffit. We had a larger room that they renovated, built a closets and configured a bathroom as well.

Description of Work
They've done quite a bit of work.

Category remodeling

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience! We appreciate your business and are so pleased that you are happy with your renovation and our service!

Dawn M.

They did a great job, really. We will use them again.

Description of Work
They repaired a leaky pipe. They had to fix drywall, molding and paint.

Category sunrooms

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience! We appreciate your business and are so pleased that you are happy with your repairs and our service!

Ethlyn G.

Overall it was excellent. I ended up calling them since the deck started to fall and the original person who built the deck wouldn't take responsibility. They totally reconstructed the deck from start to finish it and I feel much safer now. They were very thorough and found more damage than expected, so they worked with us on payments. They came highly recommended and they were excellent throughout the process. Will continue to use them.

Description of Work
They did a reconstruction on my back deck.

Category decks

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience! We appreciate your business and are so pleased that you are happy with your deck and our service!

04/12/2018

Michael S.

In summary: it went very poorly. At the outset of the project, I was told to expect a 6-8 week duration. Our family moved out of our house for 8 weeks. The overall project took 6 months. Throughout the project Total Home Improvement displayed an inability to manage the project schedule or effectively communicate anticipated timelines. I feel like this is issue is inherent in their organization and staffing approach, not solely a result of the peculiarities of my project. I hired a general contractor to move the project along and deal with the day-to-day efforts of executing the remodeling. In the end, the project did not move along smoothly and I felt like I spent an awful lot of time doing the day-to-day to complete the project. I could not be more disappointed in my experience with THI. I could never suggest anyone to hire this company and would actively suggest you look elsewhere.

Description of Work
Home renovation. A side porch was enclosed, kitchen opened to living room, remodel of kitchen and living room. This ultimately required removal of an exterior wall, removal of a load-bearing interior wall, new flooring, new cabinets, insulation, drywall, paint, electrical, lighting, and minor HVAC rework.

Category drywall, electrician, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, home remodeling, interior painters

At Total Home Improvements, we are very sorry that this project did not move along as planned. We are very schedule oriented at THI but as with most remodeling projects, there are a multitude of variables that can cause delays. Because our main goal at THI is for 100% customer satisfaction, we strive to work with the customer to make sure their project is as timely, and as much of a positive experience, as possible. That being said, we are not opposed to changes in the contract and are willing to work with customers if they want to make a change. One of those ways is to allow the customers to delete items from their contract, and let them take on the responsibility for that specific task. In the case of this project, the cabinets and countertops were something that Mr. [Member Name Removed] had decided to take on himself and in doing so, he hired his own cabinet maker to handle the aspect of supplying and installing cabinets and countertops. That contractor was unable to jump right in to the middle of this project and start immediately so consequently the job did set for a number of weeks. Once the initial cabinets were installed, there was another delay in that not all of the cabinets were delivered thus delaying the installation of the countertops. Once we were able to start up again, we did push to try to complete the job as quickly as possible. We were asked to step out of our normal sequence of events during the completion stage and did not hesitate in accommodating that request. We appreciate and value the input of all of our customers and will take this information and use it to become more effective.

04/12/2018

Barbara H.

Great. My only concern was that it took several weeks for them to come out even though I do realize that they were very busy due to a wind storm.

Description of Work
Siding repair

Category siding, home remodeling

03/16/2018

Heather A.

Do not use this company if you are renting your home out. They will not allow renters to speak on your behalf or conduct business over the phone. They do not need your business.

Description of Work
Siding repair

Category handyman service, remodeling, siding

My apologies for the confusion, we communicate and coordinate with tenants all the time. However, owners do need to make the initial contact and authorization for the work. Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss further 757-570-3330 Kelly

03/10/2018

Millicent S.

They did start a little later than told but in the end we were extremely happy with their workmanship, honesty and attention to detail. The deck turned out better than the original plan for instance, the long deck boards were to be divided in two but it made sense to run the boards in three pieces with a horizontal board. This resulted in no but joints on the long boards. Could not have asked for a better job.

Description of Work
Install a deck

Category decks

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience! We are pleased that you are so happy with the final product and service!

11/20/2017

Joseph F.

Estimator promised to send estimates same or next day, but dragged it a few days until I called him back, so he said "normally we do it in a week". That's fine, but why then promise "within 1-2 days"? Next - he messed up my email address and never paid attention that his message to me was not delivered, but was returned back to him. Finally in 9 days I received estimate, but ONLY for 1 project (out of 2). Estimator didn't address at all a big problem (in his own words) with exterior wall and when I asked "where is it?", he replied "I didn’t think you wanted to mess with that". He knew that I wanted to sell the house so this was the DUMBEST THING HE COULD SAY! Their prices are very high. For example, estimator told me that it would cost approximately $1,250.00 just to remove above ground pool from the property. Overall - COMPLETE WASTE OF MY TIME.

Description of Work
Rehab 2 homes

Category remodeling

Mr. [Member Name Removed] we appreciate your feedback, as we strive to improve our process and impression with potential customers. I do apologize for the misunderstanding regarding a realistic turn around on receiving an estimate, as our standard is a minimum of 1-2 weeks. We have interacted with several investors and real estate agents over the years and recognize that we are not necessarily the most affordable option. We do wish you luck with your on-going projects.

10/02/2017

eva H.

Appointment confusion and when came out was ok but never heard back or received estiments for any job.

Description of Work
kitchen remodeling and a few other jobs

Category decks, home remodeling

09/21/2017

Larry J.

I was scheduled a week from when I contacted them for just an estimate. I waited the week and the representative shows. He takes measurements and says he will get me a quote by the end of the week. Well it's nearing a month later and I haven't received a quote, phone call, email, NOTHING! I guess if the job isn't for $$$$$ on their end they aren't interested. If that's the case tell me upfront and not string along someone for this mythical quote you're gonna send.

Description of Work
Porch railing replacement.

Category decks, handyman service

[Member Name Removed] thank you for bringing this to our attention. We apologize for the lapse in communication and assure you that no matter what size job we appreciate your business. We would still love the opportunity to have someone prepare an estimate for your work. We look forward to resolving your concern.

08/01/2017

Barbara H.

My kitchen is absolutely beautiful and I am so happy that I had them do it. At my rental property, they did great work and had it all done in time for my new tenants. They had to redo the kitchen walls, replace window panes and screens, redo bathroom tile, and a new laundry room floor.

Description of Work
Total Home Improvements has performed work on my home and my rental property. They remodeled my kitchen with backsplash, countertops, new sink, and new lighting. My rental property was totally destroyed so they did quite a lot of work there.

Category ceramic tile, drywall, plumbing, replacement windows

Hello Mrs. [Member Name Removed]! It was such a pleasure to work with you on your projects. Please stop by to see us anytime. V/R Carol

07/26/2017

David K.

Everyone was professional and courteous. They did a great job and was done before the deadline.

Description of Work
Miscellaneous work. Did some for your work paint work drywall work and flooring work.

Category drywall, handyman service, remodeling, home remodeling, interior painters

Thank you for your business. It was a pleasure working with you.

07/12/2017

Marsha K.

I'm very pleased with their services; they work with my schedule and were very courteous; and they were very efficient with their work; price includes interior painting, drywall repair, fireplace repair, and some exterior works.

Description of Work
Home Repairs/ interior painting, drywall repair, fireplace repair, and external works.

Category home improvement stores

We appreciate your business and you were a pleasure to to work with. V/R Carol

02/05/2017

Pete P.

THI was very professional and a pleasure to work with. The Project Manager was always available when needed, very responsive, and personally ensured the quality of all work performed. I did have a slight issue with the initial installation of the new porch railings (THI subcontracted Atlantic Railing for this work). However, THI was very sensitive to my concerns and quickly resolved the issue with Atlantic Railing. The railings were taken down and new railings were fabricated/ installed. Very satisfied. (I attached before and after photos to this review.)

Description of Work
1. Extended existing attached garage (added six feet to the length). Poured new concrete and replaced another section of concrete driveway. Finished the garage walls, installed addtional outlets, and a new faucet. 2. Rebuilt and extended the front porch (was 5' x 6'; extended to approx 24' x 6'), including new brick skirting and two sets of steps. New lighting installed on the newly finished porch ceiling. Also installed new aluminum, powder coated railings (subcontracted Atlantic Railing). 3. Extended the upstairs bonus room (above the garage) and finished/painted/carpeted the room (including all new electrical outlets, lighting, and new HVAC supplies. 4. New windows installed in the added bonus room. 5. New roof with architectual shingles 6. New siding on the entire house (Everlast siding). 7. New gutters and downspouts installed ( by Leafguard).

Category contractors, carpet installation, decks, concrete driveways, drywall, electrician, lighting, plumbing, roofing, siding, replacement windows, house painters, interior painters

Thank you for your review and for your patience while we dealt with the railing situation. Sometimes things don't always go the way we intend for them to go, but we stand behind our product and will do what it takes to resolve the issues.

01/05/2017

Rene G.

The best way to rate a company is if you will use them again or recommend them to others. I have been a home owner for 20 years and a landlord for 10. I have never been more frustrated and at times angry working with another repair company. I will NEVER use this company again or recommend them to others. The communication within the company and the different departments is horrible. Communication to us as the home owners was extremely bad. They moved my start date from December 1 to December 19th without any conversations with us. We found out during a flip comment during the walk through on November 28th. They left my home with utility covers off and wires hanging throughout the Christmas holiday. The trash from the old sink, countertops, rotten wood was left on the side of my home throughout Christmas from December 19th through January 4th. I was disappointed with the communication and with the way they would show up whenever they could "fit" me in from work they were doing on other jobs. The first day a team of two sat in my driveway for over an hour waiting for the foreman. It's clear they thought my work was a joke and it showed. My poor husband had to deal with my anger about trying to cook Christmas dinner for company with plugs just hanging out from the backslash. I found out later the only thing they needed were longer screws. Sure wish they said just one thing to me about how they are sorry the work was not done before Christmas, but is there anything we can do to make it livable until they can return. They left my kitchen this way from December 20 until January 3rd. They made my holidays so stressful with not knowing when they were coming by or when work would be completed. We had one person work with us to pick out our selections, but never tell the workers what was chosen, we had to get invoicing from one person and pay another. My husband would call with a question and they would call me back instead. Felt very unorganized. Work estimate was changed during a work through from "points up" skimming to needing a more extensive skim job, but it was not addressed until 3 days after the work started. The walk through was on November 28 and it was only addressed with us 3 days into the job on December 21 adding 1300 dollars and another 3 days of work. We just canceled that part of the job. I could not wait until this job was done and I hope to never deal with a company like this again. They didn't care about this job and it just made me angry. I don't feel 7400 is a small job to me, but they clearly didn't think it was worth their time.

Description of Work
Counter tops with a new sink, backslash, new outside door with rotten wood replacement on outside trim, skimming and painting of two rooms in the home

Category home remodeling

In response to this review, please read the following: The start date, for each job, is communicated with each homeowner when they are called in order to schedule a preconstruction meeting, and furthermore, it was acknowledged by the homeowner that is was conveyed at the preconstruction meeting ( they called it a walkthru). At no time was it conveyed to THI that the start date was an issue. Scheduling work for a large remodeling firm is of utmost importance, however, unforseen problems arise elsewhere, that lead to a delay on other projects, but that is not the norm. It will happen from time to time that workers will arrive on a jobsite before the Project Manager and they have been instructed to wait for instruction from them. We are sorry to hear that a trash pile was left for too long, and we will work to better ourselves in this matter. All selections that are made by a homeowner are put in to the job file at the office. Some specific items may be conveyed to the Project Managers but all Project Managers have access to the files to confirm all of the selections that pertain to their jobs. The "pointing up" work was an issue that was brought up with the homeowners at the Sales portion of the process. It was explained to the homeowners that the pointing up of the walls may not be the best solution for the end result. The repairs were to be made on a wall that was previously painted and looked awful. It was explained that maybe an entire skim coat of the area would give a better end result, but the homeowners chose not to go that route. At the preconstruction meeting and then again once the work started, it was brought up by the production staff that skim coating would indeed give a better end result, but were willing to move forward with the contracted work. It was determined by THI to get a price to the homeowner to perform the skim coating, to give them the last option, before performing the contracted work. They declined the $1300 change order and asked for all repairs and painting to be deleted from the contract. THI agreed to that. THI will do a job as small as $250 all the way to 6 figure jobs. THI values everyone of our customers and strive to offer the same quality service to each and every customer. We are sorry to learn of their displeasure for our process. We do value homeowners input and use it to continually improve our service and quality to our customers.