COMPTON CONTRACTING INC.

Founded 2005 • With Angi since July 2008

109 NELSON DISTRICT RD

Yorktown, VA 23692

Local Builder & Remodeler in Hampton Roads. We are fully licensed & insured. LICENSE #: 2705137145A Compton Contracting will provide you with quality materials, and service whether your building, remodeling, adding on , or renovating your home. Please call us for a free estimate at (757) 291-6976

02/17/2018

rick B.

Great work, this is second time we used them.

Description of Work
Wrap soffits, facia and door frame.

Category siding

11/12/2016

Kenneth O.

They showed up on time and he was obviously competent and professional in his dealings. He brought plenty of samples for us to look at. He has gotten very busy. Hurricane Matthew put him way behind so he has not been as responsive as I would have liked, but I think that is the situation. When he told me he was going to be here at a certain time he was here at a certain time.

Description of Work
They gave me a written quote. They are building a screened-in porch.

03/18/2016

Carol P.

The guy was supposed to take just a few days, less than a week and it spread out to a few weeks. They could have been a little more prompt. We would not use them again.

Description of Work
We used David Compton Contracting for partial wood rot repair on the deck.

01/07/2016

Duane M.

The guys were very efficient, cleaned up very well and did a excellent job building the new deck. The owner is very easy to work with. Just needed to get on their calendar early as they get busy. Would use them again.

Description of Work
Replaced an old wood 10 x 20 deck/rails with new Trex deck, in decorative contrasting colors.

11/23/2015

Patricia M.

I love the platform and the deck The deck was actually improved in that it was built up to standards for present recommendations. The platform was better than I expected in that a step all along the front was added for my safety and esthetics. Great job! Great price.

Description of Work
Built 10X10 platform for greenhouse and built new 10X10 deck attached to house. Great job! Yes I would recommend to others.

Category decks, home builders

01/03/2015

Norman T.

Mr. Compton was punctual and available by phone. One of his employees had surgery so he had some new ones. This created some issues with the work, but Mr. Compton worked everything out to our satisfaction. He was always very willing to hear anything we had to say and answered our questions. Some problems arose with our older (1950s) house but he would come up with a satisfactory solution. We would hire him again for future work or recommend him to others.

Description of Work
remove old cement porch, install new tech deck, replace aluminum siding with vinyl, replace front door, replace back sliding door.

Category decks, siding, doors

12/30/2014

Chris M.

I highly recommend Compton Construction. We interviewed several contractors before choosing David and accepting his bid. His crew built a screened in porch and a deck on our sloping wooded lot. The quality of the work is excellent --several friends and family members who are in building were just floored at the workmanship. Part of his success is that his crew is employed by him full time -- they worked well together and showed pride in the work they did for us. Some of workers even took pictures of the final product and best of all, they really liked our dog and let her hang out with them. David worked with us on the design of the porch before construction and kept us informed all the way through the process. He advised us when we purchased extra features we wanted and arranged for an excellent electrician, who we have continued to use for other projects. I have recommended him to other friends and neighbors, who want to add on to their houses.

Description of Work
Built screened in porch and deck. Removed old deck.

Category decks, electrician, sunrooms

10/28/2014

Sarah S.

David and his crew were great to work with. They did an excellent job from start to finish. They showed up when expected and worked hard. They were careful in their workmanship and it showed. All of the work was completed in six days. The deck is exactly what we hoped for. Change requests were handled professionally and expeditiously. They were a pleasure to work with and we will definitely use them for future projects.

Description of Work
Removed old deck and replaced it with a 600 sq. ft. deck that extends the length of the house. Also, removed and replaced small upstairs deck on existing joists.

Category contractors, decks

10/27/2014

Sally M.

Dave and his crew were extremely professional, knowledgeable. We were extremely happy with their work and could ask for better service than what they provided. We highly recommend them and will definitely use them again.

Description of Work
Removed interior wall between kitchen and living room.

Category remodeling

10/23/2014

James W.

There was some confusion on the plans, where we almost ended up with a 20' long deck instead of 24'. They were very responsive and fixed the mistake without trying to find ways to change the price. I also wanted a step up into the gazebo and it ended up being built as a step down. That I let go based on the complications associated with fixing it and they were able to keep the desired clearance into the gazebo. The only major delay is when they had to fix the 4' error which included removing and getting more material and rebuilding aspects that were already complete.

Description of Work
Built a 24' x 16' deck with a 14' diameter octagonal gazebo attached.

Category decks

This is not our Company. I do not have anyone by the Name of Mike nor do we do Landscape design. We actully built this deck and Gazebo for Mr [Member Name Removed] after the company in review could not follow through and he was very happy when we completed job. Have sent Email to him asking him to review on 10/28/14

05/13/2014

Kim O.

We were thrilled with the work David and his crew did at our home. From the initial meeting with David we felt like he was a man of his word and that turned out to be the case. Normally for a job this big we get two or three estimates but after meeting with David we felt like he was the company we wanted to do the work. His crew was professional and easy to work with. They were great with our rather lively Golden Retriever. Half way through the project we found a problem with our pool and had to have it replaced. David was willing to meet with the pool guy to coordinate how to work together to achieve the best results. We made some changes to the deck per Davids advise and we couldn't be more pleased. We will definitely use Compton Contracting again for future projects. Thanks David and gang! Our puppy is going to go into withdrawal now that the project is complete!!

Description of Work
Rebuilt our existing deck.

William C.

David and his crew did a great job. They were great about answering questions and were both professional and friendly. The work was high quality and the price was fair. They worked with me and explained things during each step of the process. I was happy enough with the porch that any any future work I have will easily go to Compton Contracting.

Description of Work
Built a screened porch and deck.

david H.

Went very well. The work was completed on schedule and to specifications. He and his crew were quite flexible in scheduling and professional on the job. Quality was good and the value terrific. They set up tarps and dust containment to minimize the demolition and construction mess to the immediate area. I'm happy with the job. No problems.

Description of Work
Demolished and replaced about 200 sq ft partial ceiling and sheetrock wall with insulation, finishing, and paint in basement. Installed built in shelves and hauled away the debris.

Category drywall, insulation, woodworking, interior painters

Bonnie B.

We started our search on Angie's list for a contractor that could install 78 decks, made from composite materials over a three year period (our request to stretch it out for three years). The last of the decks are being completed as I write this review. Compton Contracting has maintained a consistent level of quality in workmanship and professionalism through out this entire process. I will certainly have him bid on any further construction projects we may do in the future. .

Description of Work
Installed 78 decks at St. Andrews Apartments in Newport News, VA.

10/16/2013

david H.

The whole process from when David Compton came out to assess my situation to the final walk-thru after the work was completed was an extremely satisfying engagement. I love my new deck, the workmanship was excellent, the work was performed as scheduled, his crew were quite professional and they didn't cut any corners. There were no surprise costs and, even when I brought up an issue that caused some additional effort to the contractor, he stuck exactly to the previously agreed upon price. David explained the work before he started and was very patient with my questions during the job. The final cost was very competitive and I would hire them again without reservation.

Description of Work
Compton Contracting removed my large existing deck, removed and replaced the flat roof beneath deck, and replaced the deck.

09/22/2013

Anita W.

Very good service. Easy to work with. Hard working and timely.

Description of Work
Replace siding and windows

Category siding, replacement windows, doors

08/26/2013

rick B.

Replaced some siding in 2013, job was so good we asked him to replace siding on house addition. Price ok, outcome was more than we expected they would do. Would certainly rehire.

Description of Work
replaced wood siding with vinyl, covered soffit, trim with aluminum.

07/19/2013

francis H.

The company met with the owner prior to the owner taking possession of a 1984 era house in Williamsburg that needed extensive updating/renovation. On taking possession of the house the general contractor was on the job the next day and within 10 days had installed the windows and floors. And proceeded to remodel the bath as well as perform the exterior work. Workmen are real craftsmen , show up on time and perform as specified and have exceptional quality in their work. The lead ( Chris) is an exceptional craftsman and is well supported by the rest of the crew. They are pleasant to have around and perform exceptionally with their subcontractors in plumbing, electrical and other crafts. I have been very happy with the work performed and continue to use Compton's services

Description of Work
This general contractor has installed new windows in house, clad the exterior trim, provided gutters and downspouts, installed engineered flooring in three rooms, completely refurbished a master bath, repainted interior of house installed built in bookshelves in one room and installed a new front door.

06/07/2013

JOHN L.

Installed new vinyl certainteed siding to shed, replaced boards on eves with pvc 3/4 boards, replaced boards on doors with vinyl 3/4 boards and siding. Wrap underneath eves of roof with vinyl pvc trim.

Description of Work
Installed vinyl siding on my shed and replaced the doors, hinges, and locks.

05/02/2013

Mark P.

Had Compton Construction provide a deck estimate. They were professional, on-time, and have very good communication. They provided a written estimate via email with contract. Whole process was very professional.

Description of Work
Estimate on deck job.

03/25/2013

Jessica S.

We had three other companies come out and look at it, but because leaks are hard to pinpoint, they each had a different solution and wanted to do quite a bit of work to fix it (at some pretty steep prices). I didn't feel comfortable with these companies, so I decided to call one more...Compton Contracting. They responded within the hour and came out the same day to check the window. It was a pretty simple fix, and although I'm not surprised because it was so simple, they did not charge us. I know they do a lot of big jobs, so it was very nice of them to take our small problem as seriously as any of their other contracts. Even with all this rain, we're good so far and it was certainly worth a shot since Compton was so easy to work with, the fix was easy, and didn't cost anything. Even if the leak comes back, I'll probably call Compton back out here to try plan B. Thanks!

Description of Work
We had a leak coming from one of our windows. They found one small crack at the top, and came back the next morning just to fill it in for me.

02/03/2013

Sharon H.

Mr. Compton did an excellent job. The replaced siding looks great and in the recent wind-storm the gutters and vent stayed put and didn't make a sound. Thanks.

Description of Work
Mr. Compton repaired and replaced aluminum siding. He also tied down gutter spouts and a bathroom vent.

Category siding

12/29/2012

Michael B.

Simply put they were great!! The date and cost is approximate because it has been a few months ago. I was at a loss on who to call to do this job. I used Compton Contracting because of the previous reviews I saw on Angies List. I couldn't have made a better choice. Dave and his crew were remarkable. Everything was done, delivered and installed as promised. And, most of all it looks great!! I'm going to get my bathroom redone eventually and Compton Contracting will be the first ones that I call. Thanks again Dave, great job!!

Description of Work
Compton Contracting installed new kitchen lighting, granite countertops, tile flooring, backsplash, etc. (basically a complete kitchen remodel outside of cabinets and appliances).

Category countertops, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, lighting, marble & granite, home remodeling

12/17/2012

Dan S.

We contacted Dave in late September, and he gave us a fair and prompt estimate. We scheduled the start time for October and was told it would take approximately 4-5 weeks. The job started on time and took about 7 weeks to complete. His crew was always on time and acted in a very professional manner at all times. They were personable and friendly and were receptive to all questions and concerns. Dave also dropped by from time to time to check on the progress, and actually put on his tools to help out a few times. We did have some additional requests that were taken care of at a fair price. All the work looks great and we are very pleased with the results.

Description of Work
We had the entire exterior siding on our house replaced with "Hardi Plank" siding. We also replaced 2 garage windows, and had all the windows and house trim "wrapped" in vinyl coated aluminum. Also had some of the downspouts replaced.

Category siding, replacement windows

11/16/2012

Joseph N.

Excellent, as usual. Compton Contracting is a "go to" company for any home improvement project. David Compton's subcontractors are all outstanding and he always comes on site to check their work and talk with you to ensure you are happy with what is being delivered.

Description of Work
Laid a concrete pad to have a shed installed on and then had electrical outlets and lighting installed in the shed. Compton did not install the shed - a big box store contracting did that.

Category concrete repair, electrician, lighting