Root Electric

Founded 1986 • With Angi since February 2006

12120 Darnley Rd

Woodbridge, VA 22192

At Root Electric it is our honor to offer our customers superior service from the first telephone call to the final payment. Root Electric specializes in working directly with homeowners, business owners and facility managers in electrical construction, upgrades and service. All of our electricians are experienced and well-trained employees of root electric. Additionally, we do not sub-contract to any outside workers or companies for electrical work. Root Electric employs a dedicated sales staff to handle customer's telephone calls and to estimate projects. This insures that all telephone calls are returned in a timely manner and that all projects are accurately priced and scheduled. Additional DBA - William J Root Inc, Rootelectric. Award winning. Additional emails - billjr@rootelectric.com, bill3@rootelectric.com, janice@rootelectric.com. Additional contact name - William Bill. Additional phones - (703) 618-5390....

09/29/2020

Paul B.

Made an estimate request through Angie's List. Never heard from them.

Description of Work
Requested estimate for electrical panel replacement

Category electrician, ceiling fans

Thanks for the review. We attempted to respond to your inquiry on Wednesday, September 2nd. We first attempted to respond via email, but the Angie's List Message Center "email" button opened a dialogue box asking us to download Microsoft Word, instead of leading us to the usual prompt to respond to you via email. We then attempted to respond via telephone. The number provided would ring once then hang up. We attempted to call this number three times, and each time ended in the same result. We have the number that was provided on file. If you would like to know what it is, feel free to email us at customers@rootelectric.com. All that being said, we take responsibility for not making contact with you and sincerely apologize for not returning your inquiry. We hope that you were able to connect with another qualified electrician.

09/22/2020

Ronald H.

I had a new electrical line I wanted to run for a display light attached to a grandfather clock in our foyer. I also requested a switch be added to our wall panel by the front door to operate it. The job involved seeking a route for running wire behind the ceiling and drywall from our basement to the first floor of the house. The installation was complicated and obviously required a healthy amount of expertise in all respects. The work was accomplished with a minimal amount of mess (two small holes) and the quad switch panel added by our front door operates flawlessly. During the same visit they also replaced four decorative ceiling light fixtures and repaired a bad electrical outlet to boot. The workers were fast, efficient and friendly (even to my dog). I can't say enough about this company to do this justice. Very satisfied with my decision to give them a call.

Description of Work
Run electrical behind walls through drywall, switches and fixtures...

08/04/2020

Agnes W.

Perfect. Bill himself e-mailed us to get more information on the job. He suggested we first test all of our GFI outlets to make sure they are not tripped, as a tripped outlet could be the cause of the exterior light fixture not coming on. We checked and advised him that all the outlets were OK. He then advised that he would come out to replace the photocell. He did so and our light is working again! We have used Root Electric a number of times over the years to install ceiling fans and other electrical work at our home and at our rental property. They are outstanding! Reliable, professional, great communication, and a fair price. Thanks!

Description of Work
Replace photocell in outdoor light fixture

Category ceiling fans, outdoor lighting

Thanks for the review!

07/20/2020

Cal S.

Company did not bother to contact me.

Description of Work
Attic fan installed.

Category ceiling fans

Thanks for letting us know. We apologize for the missed connection.

04/07/2020

Bob G.

Good work, but high price. $385 for a light switch !

Description of Work
Added a light switch to existing wired room.

Category electrician

Thanks for the review. I am glad to hear that you appreciate the quality of our work. The price was based on the involvement level of the work. Depending on the location of the switch, it can be difficult to pull wires from the fixture to the new switch location. Its similar to when you take your car into the shop, and they have to spend an hour removing other parts just to replace one or two spark plugs. The mechanic's bill seemed high for just a spark plug replacement, but it included removal and reinstallation of other parts so that the replacement could take place. Installing a switch location can be similar in concept.

08/12/2019

Rosemary B.

Very professional from the first contact by Bill Root through the free estimate and completion of the job. They kept the work area (my kitchen) very clean and made very few holes in the ceiling. My workmen included an apprentice. I think it is great that a company is assisting a young person to become a Master Electrician. I highly recommend Root Electric

Description of Work
Root Electric installed 6 recessed lights and a dimmer switch in the kitchen and removed the original florescent light.

Category electrician, lighting

Thank you very much for posting a review on Angie's List! We are very happy to hear that you are pleased with the work. Feel free to contact us in the future if you have any questions about the installation!

05/15/2019

James J H.

Great! Bryan is an amazing electrician & Root is an amazing company to deal with, thanks! They also give a senior citizens % discount, thanks for that too!

Description of Work
Replaced attic exhaust fan, kitchen light/fan control switch & a 3 way light switch.

Category electrician

Thank you very much for posting a review on Angie's List! We are very happy to hear that you are pleased with Bryan's service. Feel free to contact us in the future!

03/19/2019

Allen B.

They did a great. They are very good and professional.

Description of Work
electric installed ceiling fans

Category electrician

Thank you for the very brief review!

01/26/2019

Louis P.

In 2015 I hired this Root Electric to replace my service panel, including a new main ground wire through the house to the outside of the house water main. I discovered after they finished that they had mislabeled the circuits and had left the main service wires exposed and open to the elements, and most importantly, endangering my family. I published a review on Angie's List. I paid Root as part of the job to install a new ground wire. I notice a few days ago in the basement the Root installed ground wire drooping from the wall! Root did not attach the ground wire anywhere! I wonder if they attached it to the main, as they were paid to do! I paid them $3000, and they cheated me. What a group of incompetent, unprofessional clowns!

Description of Work
Installation of replacement panel and ground wire

Category electrician

Please allow me to set the record straight regarding this installation, as this customer has posted this review on several online review sites, and has renewed the review yearly to keep it in front of any and all prospective customers. As the customer states, the work was completed in 2015. The service upgrade was completed by a licensed Journeyman electrician with about ten years experience, who was employed by Root Electric. About one week after the installation, the work was inspected by Fairfax County and received a "pass" by the inspector. (In other words, the installation performed by Root Electric was found to be safe and code compliant in the eyes of Fairfax County.) Long story short, the customer has made several accusations with regard to the quality of our installation, and has even posted photographs taken after the Fairfax County inspection was completed and passed. I made every conceivable effort to contact this customer to resolve his issue in a reasonable amount of time. I attempted to contact him multiple times by email, phone, and even certified mail in an effort to resolve the complaints that he was bringing forward. In the four years since the installation was completed, I have not received so much as a return email, phone call, letter, or even text. The certified letters were returned to my office unopened. However, he has posted this complaint on every review site available in Northern Virginia without replying to my office so that we could resolve the issue. If the customer will simply call me at 703 909 0856 or email me at customers@rootelectric.com I will return to the site and repair any and all deficiencies that he has found in the installation at no cost and at a time convenient to him. This offer has stood for over four years. I am beginning to wonder if he really is concerned for his safety or if he just wants his $3000.00 back. Bill Root Master Electrician | Root Electric

09/20/2018

Nicole K.

The wonderful folks at Root were the only electricians we called (and we called approximately 10) who could help us in a pinch! When everyone (including Root) were booking jobs a week or two out - these guys were the only ones willing to help us anyway. They gave us the best advice they could over the phone, and made a special visit out the very next morning to take a look. They figured out that it was actually a power company issue (we had actually had the power company out in advance of calling, but it turned out they had only remedied part of our issue when they came). We are very grateful to Root for making time for us, and being knowledgable and communicative.

Description of Work
We were having a problem with the electrical in our house phasing, and sagging voltage in areas.

Category electrician

Thank you very much for the review! We are very happy to hear that you are pleased with the work!

09/02/2018

gary G.

A rep came out to look at the work we needed done but never followed up with a written estimate. They failed to return email/call after several attempts.

Description of Work
We needed to have an electrical circuit installed for our microwave.

Category electrician

Thank you for the review! Bill Root, the owner of the company was at your house for the estimate on July 23. Power was needed for a cabinet mounted microwave, additionally an outlet on the light pole in front of the house was needed. A verbal price was given to the person who met with us at the time of the estimate. About a week later, we received an email from you requesting a written copy of the estimate. Unfortunately, this email was never returned. In retrospect, a written estimate should have been provided during the initial visit or shortly thereafter. Admittedly, we were not at our best that day. We sincerely apologize for not getting back with you. We hope that you found quality service from another Angie's List electrician.

08/20/2018

Penelope H.

They never returned our phone call.

Description of Work
replacing and installing lighting fixtures

Category electrician, lighting

Thank you for your review! We are very sorry that we failed to return your call and hope that you found quality service from another highly rated electrician on Angie's List.

08/08/2018

Hal W.

He said he has a lot of experience. It took him more than an hour. It looks like in general the timers so far seem to be working. It works good enough. It was not very expensive but it was not cheap either. The timers seem to be coming on coming and off when they're supposed to. It took him several days for him to come out. He would be on my short list of electricians that I will consider using again, depending upon what circumstances and the capabilities of the electricians.

Description of Work
I had four lights in my house and I want automatic timers put on them. He had to installed the timers for several of my lights.

Category electrician

Thank you for the high marks and general review!

07/01/2018

Ina S.

Response to my initial inquiry was very quick. Mr. Root emailed back very quickly throughout the whole process from setting up the appoinment for the electrician to come out until completion of the job. It was a very painless process and we will definitely use Root Electric again.

Description of Work
Install new bathroom fan

Category electrician

Thank you for the quick review!

04/20/2018

Jennifer G.

We had a situation in our master bathroom where there was excess condensation on the walls after our morning showers. We were in the process of getting estimates to paint that bathroom when one of the painters suggested we contact an electrician to see if the exhaust fan may need to be replaced. We didn't have an electrician and although we reached out to a few companies, Root Electric's recommendation really stands out! Bill Jr. came out and assessed the situation and recommended that I contact an attic insulation company to see if that's what was causing the problem. Rather than selling me a new exhaust fan that I didn't need, he was up front and honest with me. He gave me several options that we could do incrementally or all at once. And we decided that, if the attic insulation wasn't the answer, I would circle back to Root Electric and proceed with a new exhaust fan. The new attic insulation was just installed yesterday and I feel confident that the problem has been resolved and no exhaust fan will be necessary. Root Electric Services has made a new customer here. I will definitely contact them with any and all electrical needs I have in the future!

Description of Work
Exhaust Fan Replacement - Master Bathroom

Category electrician

Thank you very much for the review!

04/17/2018

Elaine E.

Excellent job. The tech was very efficient. He brought a drop cloth to cover the area under the fan so everything was very clean when he finished.

Description of Work
Replace 2 ceiling fans

Category electrician

Thank you for the quick review!

01/31/2018

Merrill R.

Excellent service. Excellent quality of work. Friendly staff. Would hire again.

Description of Work
Exterior light and interior lighting installation

10/15/2017

Matthew E.

The entire process was so easy, they were on time and so patient with me and my questions. Explained everything and didn't make me feel dumb, which was greatly appreciated. If you need electric work done.... go with Root, you will not be disappointed.

Description of Work
Install ceiling fan with running electricity to install, and run electricity to above stove to install microwave over stove (did not install microwave).

Category electrician, ceiling fans

We aim to please! Thank you for the review.

09/12/2017

Allen B.

It went very well. I couldn't have asked for better.

Description of Work
I have used them twice. Most recently they installed bathroom fans.

Category electrician

We like it when things go well. Thanks for the review!

09/06/2017

Holly F.

Bill Root accommodated us on such short notice to come out to our house and look at everything. He replaced a bad switch at no charge, which was the reason our GFCI outlets in the kitchen stopped working (even though we didn't realize that). He also told us we don't have to do a whole upgrade right now, which was a huge relief. We really appreciated how kind and honest he was and when we do decide to upgrade our electrical panel, we will definitely be using Root Electric.

Description of Work
Our GFCI outlets in our kitchen stopped working, so we wanted to have that looked at and find out if we needed to upgrade our electrical panel since this is an older home. We also wanted Root Electric to take a look at a ceiling fan installation we had done ourselves (just to make sure everything was installed properly).

Category electrician

Thank you for the thorough review!

09/02/2017

Reba P.

A couple of years after that i was doing some landscaping and there were not any outside plugs. The landscaper said "Didn't you tell me you just bought this house a few years ago and had it completely rewired?" I said "Yes". He said "Then they did not follow the code because about 10 years ago there was a code made that any house that was being rewired or being built had to have outside plugs. There had to be 2, one in front and one in back." When I called about it they were really busy and couldn't get anybody out there so I ended up calling another electrical company to put those outlets in. That was almost $600. I really felt that I should not have had to pay at all because they should know the code. I didn't.

Description of Work
Had house completely rewired.

Category electrician

Thanks for the review. While being second guessed by a landscaper is a rarity in this field, he makes a good point. If a house is completely gutted and remodeled, the spacing and location of outlets should be brought up to code. This project included installing new circuits for appliances and bathrooms plus replacing existing outlets and switches with new ALR (aluminum rated) outlets. The existing wiring for most of the living space was left in place. Additionally, the electrical panel was replaced. The goal of this project was to increase the safety and utility of the existing electrical system without being a complete rewire. As such, additional exterior outlets were not included in the original specs, nor were they required for the scope of work specified.

08/23/2017

Cynthia M.

Root Electric is knowledgeable, resposive, professional and great to work with.

Description of Work
So happy we hired Root Electric to do the extensive electrical work in the remodeling of our home!

Category electrician, lighting, basement remodeling

Thank you for the review! You made it easy on us!

08/07/2017

Daniel R.

Having never gotten bids for this kind of work, we had tons of questions, but they were all answered quickly and respectfully. Bill came to our house, made recommendations about the best way to go (i.e., which lights to install, how many, and what configuration they should be in) and sent us back a detailed estimate within a couple of days. The price was great – at least $500 cheaper than another estimate we received from a different electrician. On-site, Bryan was extremely professional, cleaned everything up, and tested everything to make sure it all worked before he left. I highly recommend Root for any electrical needs you might have.

Description of Work
Install recessed lighting in our living room and replace 3 ceiling fans.

Category electrician, lighting, ceiling fans

We really appreciate the review. We are very happy to hear that you are satisfied with the work!

07/13/2017

Nahome M.

Root electric came to my home and performed the work like it is supposed to be. Big shout out to Bryan and his helper (sorry forgot his name) who worked on this task. Bryan took time to make sure the work was done to my satisfaction and answered all my questions. This left me with a comfortable feeling that the work was done right. After the work was done the clean up was amazing and there were no mess left in the house. The Root team is going to be my go to for any electrical work to be done on my home. Again Thank you guys!!!

Description of Work
I had a heavy light fixture/ chandelier installed on 18 foot ceiling.

Category electrician

We certainly appreciate the detailed review!

06/07/2017

Kathleen S.

All went well. Came up with a different arrangement of recessed lights when it was found that pipes were in the way of the original plan. Workers were great--very nice and professional.

Description of Work
Pull out kitchen florescent lights and install recessed lighting. Change out lights in 3 bathrooms. Upgrade outlets in kitchen to code. Gas meter bonded.

Category electrician, lighting

Thanks for the review! We greatly appreciate your flexibility!

SciFiHomes Inc

We are your 1-Stop Source for your Standby Generator Needs! Factory Authorized Cummins Power Generation, Generac and Briggs & Stratton Dealers for Sales, Installation & Service SciFiHomes, Inc. was founded to provide the Shenandoah Valley and Surrounding Areas with a Hi-Tech Electrical Contractor that is a 1-stop solution for the Homeowner and Small Business Owner (from Standby Generators to Security Systems to Home Theaters and most everything in between). SciFiHomes is committed to providing the best electrical/electronic products and solutions available, competitive pricing, our signature high-quality and high-performance installation, and unmatched technical support. SciFiHomes's mission is to offer the most comprehensive personal attention to your Personal, Family, and Business electrical/electronic needs or desires.

Courtesy Electric Inc.

General electrical maintenance and repair class a contractor. We provide a wide spectrum of professional services from commercial and residential wiring of your office, home and everything in between. Family owned and operated over 20, years.

Offers by Courtesy Electric Inc. on Angi
    Cosmos Heating & Cooling Co

Cosmos Heating & Cooling, a family owned business and now Best Selling author on Amazon of the following self-help book: Insider Secrets Of The HVAC Experts. They have been servicing the Northern Virginia area since it was founded in 1986 by Constantis “Gus” Christofi. The one man operation thrived through unending dedication, commitment to quality, and honest hard work. For the past 7 years, with his son George at his side, the family-owned heritage continues to afford its customers with unmatched service, excellence and skilled quality work. We Are Licensed & Insured and Service All Unit Brands. Additional contact name - George Christofi. Award winning.

Check, Visa, MasterCard

Residential & Commercial Electrical Panel Upgrades, Emergency Generator Systems, Additional Lighting & Outlets, Recessed Lighting, Attic & Ceiling Fans, Hot Tubs, Fixture Replacement, Lighting Layout, Basements Design, Additions & New Homes.

Ask For Details