Powell's Plumbing

Founded 1989 • With Angi since July 2011

4.4

152 Windy Hill Ln

Winchester, VA 22602

Full Service Plumbing and septic repair and replacement.

12/29/2022

Steve P.

Needed sewage pump replaced and line opened up. Called several others (Barr, A+,Fremyer, Comstock, Tri County) . None knew or cared what to do. I was told various things, call someone else or just ghosted. Powells took the bull by the horns. They tracked down the manufacturer of my old school system here in The Woods and with some detective work diagnosed and replaced pump without digging it all up. Two prior companies had said it needed to be dug up. If you have a REAL problem, call a REAL plumber!

Description of Work
Replace sewage ejector pump.

10/20/2017

Andrew W.

I called them on a Friday morning and they were able to fit me in the same day. From the office personnel to the technicians who responded, everyone was very professional, knowledgeable, and helpful.

Description of Work
Septic clean out and septic pump replacement

07/31/2017

Joseph B.

The workman were very professional and did a great job.

Description of Work
The company cleaned out the septic tank.

Category plumbing, septic tank

Thank you for your review of our company.

07/08/2017

Barbara W.

I really like Powell's. We've had them out from everything to they redid our septic field to they replaced toilets. They're professional. They're just top-notch. They're really, really, good.

Description of Work
We had them out here. We had to have them replace a bunch of the plumbing in one of the bathrooms: the shower and all that. We had a dripping faucet in the bathroom, so they had to replace the entire kit-and-kaboodle.

Category plumbing

Thank you so much for your kinds words

07/08/2017

Barbara W.

The cost was more than I wanted to pay. It was more than we expected. They did a great job.

Description of Work
They repaired the septic field.

03/31/2017

Joan G.

Kurt and Dave introduced themselves, suited up, and listened to our concerns. They offered sound advice on maintaining a septic system, solved the sewer gas smell by explaining what we should do to maintain the system (they did not have to do any plumbing work on the toilet), then took some time to walk the property, crawl under the house, and probe to accurately identify the location of the septic tank. They were professional, friendly, and explained everything they were doing and what WE should do as home owners. My husband and I were very pleased with the service and advice. When it is time to have our septic system pumped we will use Powell's Plumbing. And, if we have any plumbing issues at all we will call Powell's Plumbing. We thought the price for the service call was very reasonable. Because we found this firm through Angie's List we had a 10% coupon. We Highly recommend Powell's Plumbing.

Description of Work
We had a "sewer gas" smell in our guest room toilet. We were concerned that the septic system was backing up. Additionally, we asked to have our septic and drain field identified, as it was NOT marked on our property map when we purchased the home 18 months earlier. We called the office on Thursday morning and were able to schedule an appointment for the next morning at 8:30 AM.

Category plumbing, septic tank

Thank you so much for your review and your business.

12/04/2016

John L.

The water loss emergency occurred on the weekend (of course!). Two techs sent out same day I called (very professional, friendly, and helpful when I called). Justin and Lyle were great (got straight to work; were friendly and very professional). I'm sure they could have convinced us that the problem was major (like a pump replacement), but they diagnosed the problem quickly as the pump switch, had a replacement part on the truck, and got everything working and tested in under an hour. What a Christmas present! And, Justin and Lyle were even nice to our dogs (a big +++ with us)!!

Description of Work
Lost water service. Needed an evaluation of the problem and subsequent repair.

Category plumbing, wells

11/14/2016

Gerald C.

The workers took their time and ensured the tank was completely emptied of all debris. Very professional and courteous.

Description of Work
Pumped out septic tank.

Category septic tank

11/07/2016

Coryn Z.

I live at the top of a small mountain range. Roads are paved, but there are more than a few switchbacks and steep inclines to get here. I contacted no less than ten companies trying to find someone willing to come up here to pump my septic tank. Most wouldn't even return my call or used some central call center that couldn't provide any customer service at all. The few return calls I got indicated they wouldn't come to the top of the mountain. It was a very frustrating process until I found Powell's. They answer their own phones, provided an appointment within two days of my call, called when on their way, arrived on time, and pumped without any issue. They were done in about an hour. I HIGHLY recommend this company! Good customer service is VERY hard to find these days. Well Powell's has it!

Description of Work
Septic tank pumping

Category septic tank

07/26/2016

Rick D.

Excellent, Billy and David did a great job explained the process what they found, and how to make the system more dependable and allowed me to be put on a 3 year reminder. ( my system was in good condition by the way). cleaned up their work area made sure all was secured. called before they headed to my home.

Description of Work
Septic tank pump out

05/18/2016

Jeremy B.

AVOID! UNFAIR BILLING PRACTICES AND DECEIT - I had agreed to and paid for hourly service to repair / replace an outside faucet. The plumber arrived and pulled out the old faucet. He was not able to install the new faucet without an additional tool (a hammer drill). The procurement of this tool was not listed listed or mentioned prior to or at the start of service though common sense would tell me he could see that the faucet was coming out of a brick wall. The company charged me an additional hour and a half worth of time plus an additional $45 for the hammer drill. This almost doubled the final bill. I called and spoke to a supervisor of the facility who was unwilling to make any adjustments to my bill.

Description of Work
Replaced a defective exterier hose bib.

01/05/2016

THE C.

Called Powell's Office and asked if they could send someone today for frozen pipe. They said yes, we will call when someone is on the way. 5 minutes later they called, someone on the way!!!! John arrived within 15 minutes and checked the toilet where the pipe was frozen. He then went into the VERY SMALL crawl space and located the pipe, thawed it out and insulated it. He then closed (with our insulation) the openings in the foundation walls and also came outside to check the foundation for other vents. He closed up an additional vent that was open to a wall cavity not the crawl space. He was professional, courteous and knowledgeable. I want to add that we manage a state owned historic property ,CIRCA 1755, and that every time we have used Powell's we get prompt, excellent service at a fair price. I highly recommend them

Description of Work
Came to thaw frozen pipe

Category plumbing

Thank you so much for being a loyal customer!

10/30/2015

Bobby T.

They showed up on time but made us pay before the would start and i was ok with that . after finishing he explained that the system needed pumping out and that i should do some upgrades . I told them to do it as i no nothing about systems like this.and it did need pumping as for the other repairs i took them on there word. after a few weeks they called and told my wife the cost but apparently there was a miss communication and when i called them back finely got them to come back . they showed up and again had to pay in full before they would start. at this time they did the work and said the pumped the system . that is where the problem starts had problems with the septic called someone else. i trust someone one time. so i called Merritt out with out telling them it had been pumped before and was told it was not done so i am out another 275.00 but this time it was done . I wish i had done some asking around before using them as for what others have told me I never would have used them I wish i had talked to john Powell at the beginning as i now see i was mislead by others so i changed my review and plan to use them again on this system the miscommunication was on the start date and had nothing to with the work . said thing that you don't know who to trust . I will use Powell's again if they want my business after this

Description of Work
inspect alternative septic and field

Category plumbing, septic tank

We have been waiting for two weeks for Mr. [Member name] to call us back with the name of the company that stated to him we “never” pumped the tank and had heard nothing but terrible things about our company. We stood firm with you on the fact that we do not do business in that manner and we are sorry that you felt that way. You were calling about a tank that was pumped 6 months ago. This is only a 420 gallon trash compartment so with four people living in the house in duration of 6 months there is going to be accumulative solids, which does not mean the tank needs to be pumped. The 420 gallon trash compartment is small for a reason to provide a steady food source to the aeration chamber section of the same tank. Any tank at “operating level” will appear to be full, there is an operating level that your tank should always have and any “licensed” operator knows this. The work we did was a one day job and yes we require payment the day of service. This was stated on the contract sent to you on May 14, 2015. You are failing to say what the “problem” with your septic was that you called a septic pumping company for? Was your line stopped up? That does not mean the tank needed pumped, you called a company to pump the tank and of course they come to pump the tank they are not going to show up in a $100000.00 truck and not pump the tank. This does not mean we did not pump it 6 months ago. I am lost on the “miscommunication part” as well. We did the inspection 4/27/15, you were called with a price to do the repairs, sent a contract 5/14/15 and the work was completed 5/20/15. Mr. Powell has spoken to the septic company that pumped your tank and the company you had perform work on your system 2 weeks ago. The work that was performed had nothing to do with the work we performed and both companies deny your statements that “we never pumped the tank” . Also please keep in mind that in order to perform work on an alternative system that these people are to hold the proper license to do so.

09/05/2015

Sara G.

On the eve of the Labor Day weekend we called several local (near Berkeley Springs, WV) plumbers, but could not find one who could come so get our well to give us some water. Powell's, of Winchester, VA, had some guys who could come. They showed up and solved our problem, including some improvements to the water flow inside the house. All done in a professional and friendly way. A totally pleasant and satisfactory experience.

Description of Work
Got our water running again

Category plumbing

Thank you so much for the Kind review. It is always nice to hear from satisfied customers like you.

07/01/2015

Pam A.

Very professional and both technicians were very nice and explained everything even showing me what was broken and how it probably happened. Someone called first thing in the morning to let me know they were on their way. This is the third time I have used this company and have been pleased each time---they have been very consistent in how they do business. It was a bit pricey but in line with what some of the other plumbers charge that have good reputations in this area.

Description of Work
replaced a bathroom faucet and replaced the handle on the toilet that was not working.

Category plumbing

Thank you for the kind words and review of our business.

06/24/2015

Richelle C.

Powells is great. The guys are ways friendly and polite. They come when they say they will and always do an excellent job. I have been told they are expensive, but not so much so that I would use anyone else. I know what I'm getting when they do work. It's always been right and that has value for me.

Description of Work
alternative septic system annual ck

Category plumbing, wells

Thank you so much for your kind review.

06/22/2015

Derek T.

I did call back the owner. He stated it had been to long. You also came back the day after you fixed it the first time because of a faulty ball valve. It should have been free, not sure why that was a big deal in your response, since it was a faulty product you installed. That still does not negate the fact that the pipes were installed having the water flowing toward the ball valve and not with the flow of gravity out of the hose bib. Pipes were properly winterized, but could not get all the water out, obviously because the pipes weren't letting the water go downhill because of plumbing error. I should not have to suck the water out of the pipe, it should do it based on gravity, like it is designed to when installed properly. The problem with the pipe before was that it was against an outside wall and the shut off valve was there as well. It froze and broke You plumbed it and installed a shut off valve away from the outside wall so that it would not freeze again, which you had to replace because of it being faulty. You had the water flowing toward it, not with the normal flow of gravity, out of the hose bib. The water laid in the pipe that was near the valve and burst again, because it could not drain properly. I turned on the water again in June of this year and the pipe had froze and was already broken. As I stated before, I only keep the pipes on in the garage for 2 months (Late June - Late August). How did I arrive at the diagnosis that it was a plumbing error? Two different plumbers said that was the problem and this little thing I like to call Physics. The way you speak to customers is one of the reasons you have a lower grade. Quit being condescending to customers. It's ok to admit fault. I am looking for nothing from you, just giving an honest review.

Description of Work
Called Powell's Plumbing to fix a cracked pipe in the garage. They fixed it, but had the water flowing back toward the shut off valve instead of down with the flow of gravity. |Pipe refroze and broke again. They refused to fix it stating that it had been too long. We only keep water on in the garage for 2 months. It was definitely a plumbing error, but they refused to come fix it without having to pay again.

Category plumbing

We were called to your home On January 8, 2014 for a froze and busted pipes along with numerous other people in the area at that time. There obviously was a preexisting issue with these lines prior to our visit or they would not have frozen and busted in the first place. We returned to your home free of charge January 10 2014 because the ball valve we installed two days early was defective (Manufacture error) the pipe was dripping at that time. Everything worked fine until April 13 2015 when you called our office stating it was put in wrong and did not allow the pipe to drain properly? Not sure how you arrived at this diagnosis? If it froze and busted again it is not being winterized properly if in fact you winterize prior to winter . We have a 30 day warranty on labor and parts are per manufacture as clearly stated on our invoices. When you called it had been 15 months. Mr. Powell returned your call that day and left a message for a return call. The call was never returned by you.

06/11/2015

Shannon S.

Called and arrived earlier than expected. Located and pumped septic tank. Billy was very courteous and extremely knowledgeable (his is passionate about his work and that is so refreshing). He explained everything about the process to me. He scheduled for a riser/lid to be installed the same day. The entire process took about an hour. Later the same day two other men showed up to install the riser. It was great to be able to get everything done in one day and such a timely manner.

Description of Work
Pumped septic tank and installed riser/lid.

Category plumbing, septic tank

Thank you so much for your kind words. We look forward to doing business with you in the future

05/19/2015

Reed B.

Billy and Nick were efficient and gave me a basic education on how the system worked. Billy verified that the spray timer was working as intended.

Description of Work
Pumped out alternative 1000 gallon septic system.

Thank you very much!

02/24/2015

THE C.

The two techs were on time and ready to help. It was in VERY cold day with high winds. Our property is an historic state owned property with many additions. Our handy man had just thawed out the pipes, but he was unable to access the pipes to insulate them. The slender tech shimmied through an 18" crawl space entry and insulated the pipes and pointed out that there were two significant places of air infiltration. We had some old insulation and he installed that for us as well. He noted another smaller point of cold air infiltration and suggested that that space be closed from the outside. It was a break in the mortar around the stone foundation. Because of the nature of this property, he suggested that this space be filled by our staff. We need to get approval for many alterations. This Property is owned by The Virginia Department of Historic Resources and managed by a Foundation.

Description of Work
Two technicians came to thaw frozen pipes

Category plumbing, water softeners, wells

Thank you for your kind words and thank you for your business

12/29/2014

Justin karen H.

They were courteous and professional. I was very appreciative that they were able to assess, determine action, and provide complete services within an hour of arriving. I will definitely use them for any future plumbing needs that arise.

Description of Work
Cleared blocked drain.

Category plumbing, drain cleaning

Thank you for your time and business! Look forward to servicing you in the future.

12/29/2014

Kelly B.

they came out in a hurry. I dealt with 3 different crews of people. all of the service men in all 3 crews were very knowledgeable and friendly and courteous. they were very aware and put booties and suits on when they came inside the house. the first guy fixed our toilet and flushing problem. he did a fantastic job. the second guy came that day and pumped the septic so we could continue to flush until they came out to see what was wrong with the septic. I felt like they overcharged me for the pumping. I had it done several times since we lived here and they always charged me for 1000 gallons. this time they charged me for 1250 gallons. I called and the lady said that because it was backed up they had to charge me more. well it was full but not over running. anyway when the crew came to scope the tank etc. they explained it to me as the tank is actually bigger than the 1000 they charge you when it' not full. these 2 fellows were great. they worked in the freezing rain and had to fight every inch of the way to get the second lid off and get it rooted, but when they did. they ran water in it for quite awhile and it went away. so they said it should be fixed and I was missing the inlet tee and the outlet was almost completely clogged and adding to the problem. so I called as soon as they left and got an appt. the very next day with the 2 same fellows they came on time and had to fight again to get everything to work to satisfaction. up until here they would have gotten a "A" rating from me. they didn't do anything wrong but I had thought the first three charges were a little high. the labor is very reasonable but the parts!! for 2 tees and 2 adapters it was over $250. I am pretty sure I have seen these same pieces at the home depot for $50 or less. anyway I had a great experience and only 1 lady on the phone was a little snooty. but nobody's perfect and maybe she was having a bad day. overall, they were timely, knowledgeable, courteous, professional and determined and thorough. I would use them again, and no one else in the book could come the same day and pump my tank but them. so we had literally no downtime at all

Description of Work
it started out with a backed up toilet and turned into digging up the septic, having it pumped, having the line between the tank and distribution box roto -rooted, and having 2 new tees installed on the inlet and outlet of the septic tank

Category plumbing, septic tank, drain cleaning

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a thorough review on the services provided. We appreciate your words and your opinions truly matter. Powell's Plumbing, Inc. strives for quality and professionalism and your review helps us increase the quality we provide. So thank you again and we look forward to servicing you in the future.

12/21/2014

kevin C.

The repair was completed with in two hours and the head technician was very professional and competent.

Description of Work
He repaired the problem with my drain pump.

Category plumbing

Thank you for your time and kind words. We look forward to servicing you in the future!

11/29/2014

Diane B.

We returned from a trip and upon turning on our water, quickly realized there was a sizable leak in the pipes below the house. (Heard the water running down there.) We were relieved to find Powell's would make a service call on a holiday weekend. The plumbers arrived promptly and tracked down the source of the leak. Apparently mice had been at work on our waterlines. The damage occurred in an area that was difficult to reach under the house, but Doug and Dustin crawled into the recesses below the house on a cold day and made the repair. After they left, we went into the crawl space to lay poison for as a preventive measure against further damage, and in the process realized there was still a small drip at one valve. We called Powell's again, and Doug and Dustin quickly returned to fix that as well at no additional charge. We were very pleased with the service and professionalism.

Description of Work
Fixed water pipes leaking under house in crawl space.

Category plumbing

Thank you for the time you took to leave a kind review. We truly appreciate your business and look forward to servicing you in the future.

08/15/2014

Douglas G.

This was the 3rd. time I have used this provider and every experience has been positive. The plumbers were very professional.

Description of Work
Repaired and modified my plumbing.

Category plumbing

Thank you for your business and we appreciate your review. We look forward to servicing you in the future!