Atlantic Shores Heating & Cooling

Founded 1995 • With Angi since May 2006

4.2

3500 Rob's Dr

Suffolk, VA 23434

Family owned & operated. Additional contact names - Hal Nystrom, Stephanie Nystrom, Rick Griggs. Additional e-mails - hal@atlanticshoresusa.com, stephanie@atlanticshoresusa.com, service@atlanticshoresusa.com, shawn@atlanticshoresusa.com, service@atlanticshoresusa.com. Additional phone numbers -

08/07/2022

Craig S.

I would highly advise you to steer clear of this company. I called for a technician to come out after I had done all my troubleshooting. Long story short, I have two units under warranty and just needed a licensed HVAC to come out and confirm that my compressor was required to be replaced. The first technician had an attitude problem because he was on call and had no idea what he was doing. He couldn't perform a simple diagnostic and figure out why my breaker was tripping. He told me to replace parts in my air handler, which made no sense because it had no relation to my problem. He broke my defrost board while testing it and told me this was my problem. It was never bad, by the way, so that was a lie. The second technician came out and told me my compressor was not bad. Wow not sure if this guy even had his HVAC license. He told me to hire an electrician and that my breaker was the culprit. He told me how he treats all his customers like he was working on his own unit but spent 5 minutes on a wrong diagnosis. My friend is an electrician and verified that he was wrong and that I should never use this company again. Do your research online and utilize videos on youtube to help troubleshoot your problem before you waste $105 for a company to come out and lie to you. They will tell you anything to take your money. The compressor was my problem and was covered under warranty. I found another HVAC technician that did his own work and was extremely trustworthy and professional. He told me you could not trust these companies as an HVAC technician for over 30 years. He said they would tell you anything to make you buy an entire unit and take advantage of you. Don't let the reviews from this company fool you. As a service member who served this country for over 20 years, it's embarrassing that companies like this exist and have zero integrity!

Description of Work
Diagnostic/HVAC

Category electrician, heating & air conditioning/hvac

10/27/2020

Gary C.

I am very satisfied with our new Trane heating and cooling system. The sales representative, Hail, educated us on the various products and helped us choose the right product that would fit our needs. I interviewed 3 other companies and felt that the value and warranty was best with Alantic Shores. The installation team (Will and Alex) were professional, knowledgeable and worked efficiently. For anyone need of a heating/cooling company I would highly recommend that you take a look a these guys, you won't be disappointed!

Description of Work
Furnace & A/C replacement

07/12/2020

Gisela S.

DeAndre service tech was professional, kind and responded quickly. The blocked vent was repaired and problem solved.

Description of Work
AC tuning for uneven cooling.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, air duct cleaning

08/27/2018

LaVonda A.

I had a water heater that died. I called around and Atlantic Shores came by and not only gave me a great quote but they were also able to fix it the same day. The team was great! Personable and knowledgeable. I will say that I had a previous company come out and misdiagnose the issue and gave me an assessment that could have easily doubled the price. I will not name that company but I will say that I am really glad that I called Atlantic Shores instead of trusting the original company. We will be using them to also do our annual maintenance.

Description of Work
Water Heater Replacement

Category water heater repair

03/12/2018

Mary W.

Excellent job and Price .

Description of Work
New Trane Heat Pu New Trane Heat Pump

06/21/2017

ken B.

Price quote for valve replacement and labor only was $583. I have the R-22, so the breakdown was $134 for the part and $220 per hour for labor. Two hour job... They apparently upcharge the part $100 and the hourly rate is ridiculous. Please beware of what they are charging and ask for a breakdown. This is so overpriced it is scary. If I would have needed R-22 the cost would have been closer to $2,000.

Description of Work
Service call charge $89 to come out and tell me what I already knew, that my service valve needed replacing. $40 part. Couldn't do the work right then, but needed the office to call me with quote.

01/28/2017

Trey L.

See above.

Description of Work
Have hired them many times over the last 2-3 years for multiple problems with our unit(s). Every time it seems to be the same problem, or related, but they have YET to ultimately fix it! I understand the basics now after looking up a lot of the symptoms (with second opinions) myself, and after YEARS of giving them second, third, and fourth chances, it's finally to the point where I'm calling the owner out here to speak with him. Their $90 diagnostic fee is more than most places in the area, too. Their lead technician has come out multiple ties to tell us something was wrong, and either never fixed it, said it was fine (sometimes it was), or "fixed" it just for it to do the same thing 6 months later, and someone ELSE to come out to say it's something different. Originally went with them because they're a small, local business and wanted to support that. Definitely will not anymore.

06/25/2016

Claudia C.

12/09/2013

Diane D.

Called them to service my gas furnace because it was making an unusual noise. Technician came out as scheduled and indicated the Inducer Draft Motor was bad. He told me the part was expensive and and I might want to consider a new furnace since it was fairly old. I decided to get the repair because he said ithe furnace was in good shape otherwise and heat exchanger was OK. With the service contract discount I payed $755.00 which included a $77.00 service fee. Furnace stopped working 2 weeks later. Called them back different technician indicated that the face plate on the heat exchanger had a small crack causing the flame to rollout of the burners causing it to shut down. He indicated a heat exchanger was very expensive to replace and suggested I replace the furnace instead. While researching and getting estimates for a new furnace I found out the Draft Motor could be purchased for between $90 and $200 not including labor. I removed it from my old furnace when it was replaced took me about 10 minutets to get it out. Very easy to do. Overall I feel I was well overcharged for this work. In 2011 I purchased a York AC system from Atlantic Shores. Since April 2013, they have been out 4 times to work on it. Once for a blown fuse and 3 times for freon leaks. All under warranty with no cost to me.

Description of Work
Furnace check/service

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Response from the owner of Atlantic Shores Heating and Cooling: Unfortunately, things don't always go as I would like. But all facts uncovered sometimes shed a different light on actual circumstances. We use a national price guide that sets prices for all repairs we charge. Those price guides are used by most every other HVAC contractor as well. Yes they are expensive, a fact we dislike but are reluctant to apologise for. The cost to purchase a truck, outfit it, stock it with tools and parts, hire a qualified technician, provide holiday pay, health insurance, a retirement plan, dental and vision benefits as well as ongoing training is astronomical. And then there is the support staff, fuel and insurance costs, computers and software and etc. We have two choices, we can hire barely qualified people, outfit them poorly and fail to provide any training and charge low prices or, we can get the best technicians we can find and give them 100% support in and off the field and expect a better outcome. We have chosen the high road but when we complete sometimes 150 service calls a week, at times human error can prevail. One thing that would be fair to mention is that this customer approved the repair before we proceded, and after finding the crack weeks later we offered to give her full credit on the repair towards the new furnace. It is entirely possible that the crack found weeks later did not exist when the first repair was completed. The fact that the furnace ran well and safely for another two weeks mekes me wonder. And finally, yes you can find the wholesale cost of just about any part on the internet. But before a repair can be made, you have to have a diagnosis. It sometimes takes many years of training and experience to be able to accurately make that diagnosis. The mark-up on the part helps subsidize all the other costs of doing business. We have been doing this as a family for 18 years and I wish every experience could be perfect. Most people who are dissatisfied contact us directly and we always remedy the problem. Those who don't never get to experience our world class sense of customer service when things don't go their way.

07/11/2013

Kathleen C.

Was told when estimate was given that work would start next day. - Took a week to start. Installer put foot through ceiling - took a week to repair with 3 visits, however repairs were done well by the subcontractor. Upon completion of work - completed by the owner of the business himself - I handed him a check for the full amount as stated on invoice. Waited 6 months for check to clear - called business several times and asked to speak to owner to about status of check. HE NEVER RETURNED MY CALL Received an invoice 2 weeks after last call stating I was delinquent in payment Called business again and talked to bookkeeper - she knew nothing of this job. Asked her to talk with owner and have him call me back, NOTHING NEW - HE NEVER CALLED. Sent letter 24 June and requested the owner to call me - HE NEVER CALLED. Now July 11, I am cancelling my initial check, and sending him another one (minus cancel check fee) Sending a registered letter with new check for work. Note: This is the type of customer service I receive after doing thousands of dollars of business with this company over several years.

Description of Work
Installed water heater

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Response from Owner: Lets take this in sequence of your complaint. The work started a week late ? Yes but with your full knowledge and approval. The customer gave us the model # of the specific unit he wanted and our supplier initally reported it was in stock. When we went to pick it up the following day they found their inventory was incorrect and and they would have to order it. This was all explained immediately and the customer said "no problem we will hapilly wait" Yes we did crack the ceiling from the attic. We immediately hired a professional ceiling repair person and it took 3 trips and three coats of compound to repair as is standard. We regularly walk across attics where there is no lighting and no walk boards present. Add to that deep blown in insulation covering the wood joists and it is precarious at best. Unfortunately, accidents happen. Now to your lost check..... I have to own that. Yes you did present me with a check paid in full and I obviously lost it. The phone calls and messages obviously never reached me and I have to own that as well. Our system of relaying imp[ortant messages has been revamped and I thank you for that. While there was a serious lapse in our handling a lost check the actual job was completed as promised and accurately. Please accept our apology for misshandling the lost check.

01/19/2013

Lynn B.

It is hard to find any fault with a company that saved us somewhere north of $1,000. We noticed on New Year's Eve that our furnace had stopped working. After joining Angie's List to find a reputable repair place, we settled on Atlantic Shores. They sent a technician, Ryan, out to us the day after we called - they could have had someone there that day, but it didn't work with either my schedule or my wife's schedule. Ryan restarted the pilot light, which we had not used in a couple of years, and found the problem with the furnace. While on the phone with Trane to obtain the correct part, he discovered the previous owners, who installed the unit in 2006, purchased a 10-year extended warranty. We were not aware of the warranty, but were delighted to find that the repair would not cost us anything, just the cost of the service call. He also gave me the phone number of the company handling the warranty so we could have it transferred into our names. Ryan returned the next day and installed the part. Now the house is toasty again and we are happy. Considering he made the calls from his truck, it would have been easy for him not to tell us about the warranty so his company could pocket the profit from the repair.

Description of Work
Restarted pilot light in fireplace and repaired furnace

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, fireplaces

12/09/2010

Richard V.

Very professional and polite. Worked long to get the pilot light lit.

Description of Work
Checked out the gas log fireplace. Pilot light would not stay lit. They got it going, but the unit needs to be replaced.

Category fireplaces

08/17/2010

Karl R.

I contacted them to get a quote on a new HVAC system. I had an appointment set up for a free estimate. The individual did not show so I called the company and they said he forgot. They came out the next day and showed up on time and were very polite and professional. They gave me a quote of $15,200 which was 2,200 above the next lowest competitor. Due to their lack of care for my needs and their price I am taking my business elsewhere.

Description of Work
New HVAC system

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Response from the owner: Nothing is more frustrating then making an appointment and no one showing up. There is no excuse for that. In our defense this was in July, unquestionably our busiest time but we certainly dropped the ball. We did show up the next day and after careful calculation provided you with several prices. We always quote several efficiency levels, system types and repair scenarios to give you the best variety of options. We have 39 years of experience fitting the right system with the right house. We did not earn your business that day but did you compare apples to apples or even know how to? What was the efficiency and brand you chose? How did the SEER and AFUE compare? Did it have 10 years of parts and labor warranty ? How long had the other contractor been in business? Was he fully liscensed and insured ? Was he factory trained ? All valid questions. We install many top of the line HVAC systems that cost between 15 and 20,000. But they don't all cost that much.We also install many entry level systems for less that half that cost but dont compare in efficiency, features, and benefits to the top of the line models. We always offer to compare quotes from others and give an honest opinion. We are certainly sorry you were offended by our price but have you walked in to a BMW or Lexus showroom lately ? Now that will take your breath away !

08/06/2010

Joyce M.

Very Good

Description of Work
They arrived on time did their work quickly and cleaned up. The tech was ploite respectful and a true gentleman. We were pleased enough to sign a yearly service contract.

08/02/2010

Jeremy S.

Compressor that controls upstairs AC went out at around noon on the hottest day of the year (Sunday, July 25th). Since it was Sunday afternoon, none of the companies that had "24 hour emergency" service were able to get to me until Tuesday or Wednesday. In fact, some were very rude about it. We had to spend Sunday night in a hotel because the temp was 93 degrees upstairs and 83 degrees downstairs. After much dissatisfaction with the companies I'd called on Sunday, I called Atlantic Shores Heating & Cooling on Monday morning at 8AM. They didn't advertise 24 hour emergency service and they were close to my house, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Plus, Angie's List rated them an "A." They picked up on the first or second ring, I explained my situation, and the gentlemen said that he could have someone there at 10AM (only 2 hours later) for a $86 diagnositc fee. They arrived at 10AM, as promised, checked out my system, fixed the problem (bad capacitor), made some recommendations for performing self-maintenance, and by the afternoon our house was cool again. Very easy and satisfactory solution after much frustration the day before. They didn't try to take advantage of the situation by "up-selling" me, they just provided good service, with a good attitude, and fixed the problem. I will definitely call them first the next time.

Description of Work
Diagnosed bad capacitor and replaced.

06/02/2010

Robert K.

Thanks to Angie's List we found this company. Any other company might have tried to fleece us. Can not speak more highly of Rick, Dave, the owner whose name slips my memory at this time. A tremendous experience and excellent quality of service to the task at hand.

Description of Work
Compressor broke, but was under warrenty. Gibson Nordine, the manufacturer, sent a new compressor, but the wrong electrical connection. This part came in and the it was determined the new compressor was broken. Another compressor was sent and still the air conditioner did not work. The actual owner of the company came to my house in person. He has 35 years of experience and looked over the system for the error. This was not some guy, but a collective, professional actually was concerned. Due to our frustration with the manufacturer he contacted them himself and resolved the issue. In addition, his staff at the installed were good people in their company uniform and everytime they were contacted they picked up the phone after no more than two rings.

08/26/2007

JEFF M.

They came out in a timely manner when we needed them the most. We haven't had any problems with the heating unit since they fixed it. They were easy to talk to and came out quickly. They didn't have any problems finding the problem and fixing it.

Description of Work
Our furnace wouldn't turn on so they replaced the flame sensor and did a complete service on the unit.

03/13/2007

BRENDA C.

A lot of time and energy was put into the original bid/work-up. The employees were always very courteous, clean, thoughtful and cared for our home. The project took 12 work days spread over a 30 day period, we were originally told 3-4 days to complete the project. We had five days when no one showed up as originally scheduled. We love our heating and cooling system now that it is completely installed.

Description of Work
Removal of oil furnace & duct work, Relocate and install new AC, Heat Pump and duct work.

05/22/2006

They did a great job of making sure that my air conditioner was up to par for the up coming season. They provided us with great customer service and were very prompt in their attendance. We have been using them for the last twenty years now and have been satisfied with the service that they have provided us.

Description of Work
They cleaned and did a thorough inspection on my air conditioning unit.

05/22/2006

I am not to sure exactly how they do this, but, whatever it is, it prevents the dust from building up over the year. They do this once a year and have been for about seven years. I am pleased when they arrive because they are always nicely dressed, never sloppy. They are always respectful and they always clean their mess. They never have any dust lying around; they are not even dusty for that matter. I cannot say exactly what the charge for the ducts is because they also run a maintenance check on my unit while they are here. All of that is included in my annual price. Therefore, I do not know exactly what the duct cleaning actually costs me.

Description of Work
Atlantic Shores runs some type of machine through my air ducts once a year to clean them out.

Category air duct cleaning

05/22/2006

I have been using Atlantic shores for a good number of years now. They are also the ones who installed my system and I was even pleased back then. They have been nothing but good to me since day one. They come faithfully once a year and make sure everything is still functioning properly. They are always at my home on schedule and always very well prepared. I know that the pricing for the service checks is included in my contract that I purchase every three years. I do not remember exactly what the amount is, but, it is not nothing to complain about considering the fact they do provide these yearly checks and updates. They also will fix anything that goes wrong free of charge under this contract. It s just all around a great experience to know you have someone so professional on your side.

Description of Work
Atlantic Shores provides yearly maintenance checks on my heating & air conditioning unit.

Martin G.

They came out at 9 a.m. to fix my air conditioner. I was very happy that they took such good care of us. Twice they had to come back until they figured it out. They never charged me a dime extra for having to come back.

Description of Work
They fixed our new air conditioner that they had installed. It needed a new sensor.

GERALD S.

Everything went great with the cleaning. The air seems to be much more cleaner now. I feel like I can breathe again. My house is not nearly as stuffy anymore and I would definitely have them back for a second cleaning. I probably will start to have this done by them once a year now. Overall, everything went well and I am a very satisfied individual.

Description of Work
Atlantic Shores cleaned the air ducts in my 1600 square foot home.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, air duct cleaning

05/22/2006

They really provided us with a great service. They even called me when it was time to service my air conditioning unit. We have used them for a few years now and we are very pleased with their service. They have always been very prompt if a problem should arise.

Description of Work
They did an maintenance check up on my air conditioning unit.