John Nugent & Sons Inc

Founded 1975 • With Angi since September 2006

24/7 Service Offered24/7 Service Offered

45921 Maries Rd

Sterling, VA 20166

We are taking additional precautions to protect our customers.

HVAC Companies201820170
Wall-mounted heating and air conditioning units independently manage the comfort of a single room and can maintain the precise temperature you set.

John Nugent & Sons is Northern Virginia's Air Conditioning, Heating, Plumbing and Electrical Experts. Since 1975, we have been providing residential and commercial services that have helped people reduce their utility costs and increase their home or businesses temperature, plumbing, and electrical efficiency. Whether you need maintenance, repair or replacement, we want to be your heating and cooling service provider in McLean, Arlington, Falls Church, Vienna, Great Falls, Sterling, Ashburn, Reston, Herndon, Chantilly, Centreville, Fairfax, Dulles or anywhere in the surrounding areas. Additional phone number - (703) 291-1926....
Mini Split project

HVAC Companies

201820170
Mini Split-Exterior Hide Line  project
Mini Split-Exterior Hide Line

HVAC Companies

201820170

HVAC Companies (1065)plumbers (339)electrician (123)water heaters (118)drain cleaning (39)air duct cleaning (20)appliance repair (20)generator service (18)gas leak repair (13)lighting (11)well & water pump repair (9)home remodeling (8)

06/17/2022

Tim C.

Work was done exactly as they said it would be, with great quality, care and consideration. Work was completed in half the time they estimated.

Description of Work
Moved Gas Line

Category gas leak repair

Work Completed On 06/17/2022

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are glad to hear that you were satisfied with the work that our technicians performed. We appreciate your review and your trust in John Nugent & Sons.

06/16/2022

Donald L.

Perfect. Quick despite being a difficult job. No mess. Courteous service. Shawn was confident, experienced, and capable. He provided the quality service I have come to expect from John Nugent and Son's for all my HVAC needs.

Description of Work
Replace a leaking shower faucet water supply cartridge

Work Completed On 06/16/2022

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are happy to hear that Shawn was able to provide quality service with confidence in a timely manner. Thanks for trusting in John Nugent & Sons.

06/01/2022

A L.

Called John Nugent & Sons after hours and left a message on HVAC emergency line. Got a call back from their technician Chung Lin very quickly, who told me to look for any blown fuse in the furnace circuit board inside the house, not the exterior AC unit, and offered to come out if needed. Sure enough found a blown fuse and replaced it. Problem solved. Excellent and honest expert opinion, free of charge.

Description of Work
Trouble shooting HVAC as NEST thermostat was not getting power. NEST recommended a company, who said they would charge $150 to come out and install some power connect box that should solve the problem, but needed to wait till after the weekend.

Work Completed On 05/28/2022

Thanks for taking your time to write your experience with our company. I am happy to hear we were able to help you resolve the issue. We strive for excellence so the part about being Honest and expert opinion is what counts, glad to hear it!

02/24/2022

Nina L.

I called John Nugent & Sons and Brandon came, discussed the problem with me, and gave me an estimate. I scheduled the work and he came back yesterday to install the new amp. He was very professional and the area was spotless when he was done. I would 100% recommend Brandon and John Nugent & Sons. So happy to have found a great electrician and company finally!!!

Description of Work
installing a new 20amp dedicated circuit for freezer

Category appliance repair, electrician

Work Completed On 02/23/2022

Thank you for the kind words and taking the time to write your experience. We are happy to have you as a customer. I will make sure to pass on the review to Brandon's boss. Once again thank you for trusting in John Nugent & Sons.

02/08/2022

Jamie W.

We were extremely happy with the work John Nugent & Sons did for us. We were particularly pleased with both Jorge and Justin. We needed to have an outdoor line run from our circuit box to an outdoor location and have 2 separate GFCI circuits installed for our swimspa (hottub and small pool) + an outdoor outlet installed. Lots of complications arose due to the complex nature of connecting to the spa tub…but nothing they couldn’t handle! Always on time, great communication, and lovely to have around! About a month later, we had to replace the new spa…Jorge returned to both unhook and reconnect the new spa…with flawless work. Would trust these guys with anything complicated!!! And the work looks absolutely stunning!!

Description of Work
Outdoor Line, Spa Connection, GFCI, Outdoor Outlet

Work Completed On 02/07/2022

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am happy to hear that we were able to assist you in a timely manner with the electrical work that was needed. If you find yourself in need of assistance with any plumbing, heating, or AC we can help with that too don't hesitate to call. Thank you again for trusting in John Nugent & Sons we are glad to have you as a customer.

01/10/2022

Nicholas K.

Mr. Youness El Oikili from John Nugent and Sons did an outstanding job installing a new complex Carrier II thermostat - he was professional, courteous, considerate, technically astute and completed all the work on schedule and on budget -- and the thermostat works superbly. I highly recommend John Nugent and Sons -- and commend their outstanding technician, Mr. Youness El Oilili. I purchased for the thermostat and the installation - received a discount because the Thermostat had a high wholesale price.

Description of Work
install complex Carrier II Thermostat

Category appliance repair

Work Completed On 01/07/2022

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. I am happy to hear we were able to help get your thermostat working properly in a timely manner. We appreciate you trusting in John Nugent & Sons.

12/24/2021

David T.

They were the lowest bid of four contractors. They also offered State water heaters. The State WH they were replacing had serviced me and my family for 40 years and 2 months. They worked with me on getting the upgraded State WH I desired. hey projected 4 hours to complete the job. They were in and out in 2-hours and 15 minutes. Not one drop of water spilled on hardwood floors as the old heater, which could not be completely drained before the removal was taken through the house. Outstanding customer service and plumbers that did the job. We plan to have them become our HVAC maintenance contract after our current contract concludes. I was referred to Nugent by another satisfied customer. I am fully satisfied and they are firm located in Northern Virginia.

Description of Work
Water heater replaced and old heater removed.

Category appliance repair, water heater repair

Work Completed On 12/23/2021

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am glad that we were able to assist you promptly and with the best price on the replacement of your water heater. Thank you for trusting in John Nugent & Sons.

12/14/2021

Julia G.

They have been excellent and I have no complaints. I would highly recommend them as well.

Description of Work
He does our general maintenance twice a year.

Work Completed On 12/07/2021

Thank you for your kind words. We are happy to have you as a customer.

09/02/2021

Ilse B.

Larry was fantastic, he arrived on time, gave us pricing and completed the work in one day. He was very professional, clean in his work, polite and thorough.

Description of Work
Changed shower handle, faucet and shower head

Work Completed On 09/02/2021

We are glad to have you as a customer. Thanks for taking the time to write your review. We can assist you with any of your heating/ cooling or electrical too. Don't hesitate to call. Thanks again for trusting in John Nugent & Sons.

08/27/2021

Amit P.

Before I start, I wanted to say that I've used John Nugent and Sons before on my other property and have been happy with their services. Recently we purchased a new property and contacted them to check our HVAC system for any issues. The technician arrived and I showed him the units. Honestly, he didn't appear much freindly. He told me that he will only check the AC units ( 1 in the main level and 1 in the attic). While opening the main level unit he was constantly complianing that the unit was not installed in the right manner and was struggling to open the main conduit. He finally opened and did some minor checking and moved on to the upper level unit. He did not spend much time with the 2nd unit as well, just checked the drain pipe and moved on. He gave me the report and moved on. 2 weeks after the check, I have my drain pipes clogged and water leaking from the main unit. I'm sure the technician did not do a thourough job of checking the drain pipe. The other techs from John Nugent also clean the drain pipes - this one refused to do any such work. Just wanted John Nugent to know that I'm not happy with their service this time around.

Description of Work
Air Conditioner Checkup

Work Completed On 08/04/2021

We appreciate your loyalty to our company want all of our customers to feel they have gotten a reasonable cost on the services that we done at their home. I can see that you did not feel that way and I would be happy to discuss this with you. Please call the office to speak with me directly regarding your repairs. Thank you again for trusting John Nugent with your business.

07/01/2021

hank C.

Excellent. RJ Parker designed the system w me and Foreman Isaac Coello led a very experienced crew in a major job.

Description of Work
Complete AC replacement

Work Completed On 06/29/2021

We're glad you had such a positive & informative experience! Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

06/28/2021

Albert D.

Beware this company does not have a transparent hourly rate. Having determined a failed light and electrical outlet problem lay in the circuit panel, this company responded and determined three breakers should be replaced for 726 dollars. the actual bill subtotal shows 935 dollars, though the difference is not explained. when asked for a breakdown of why it cost 💲 726 dollars to replace 3 breakers in less than an hour, part of the explanation was unintelligible circular talk of local rates for service but not for hourly service. rather, for each item replaced. No parts were left to see the actual condition of parts claimed in need of replacement. when challenged on labor rates, it was explained that one category of fees labeled "miscellaneous" was to make sure the newly installed breakers worked - so when pressed for a written explanation of miscellaneous, the item was written on the receipt as "Verify all three affected circuits are clear of additional faults due to damaged circuit breakers before turning circuits on, further verify power was restored to all affected areas -" When i challenged this as simply turning on the switches to see if they worked, and that that should be part of the service, i was told that this company trains and instructs it's employees to linger at the site to ensure there is subsequent problem for at least half an hour or more, and that there is no other labor category to charge this time to, so it is considered a "Miscellaneous" charge - of, in this case, $159.00. I did not ask them to linger, and i expect testing the repair for functionality to be part of the job. i explained this, and was offered a reduction in the bill of 159.00 as a "courtesy". then the full invoice came showing a full claimed charge of 935 dollars, with no explanation at all for the difference between the 726 and 935. The final new bill of 567 (726-159), for replacing 3 breakers in less than an hour. That amounts to an hourly rate of between 5 and 600 dollars an hour, if they can find a way to charge you for it. Buyer beware. And be sure to ask about the miscellaneous charge category, and ask if testing the repairs is part of the job. When i put comments to the email address and website comment boxes offered by this company, asking questions about the billing, i received no/no responses until daily inquiries for several days, and stipulating i would not pay the bill without a written explanation of what i was being actually billed for. I finally received a phone call to test my resolve and negotiate. I do not recommend anyone do business with this company as long as it is managed in this manner.

Description of Work
breaker replacement

Work Completed On 06/28/2021

We would like to apologize for your recent experience and sorry to hear you were less than satisfied with the service provided by my company. We have gone to great measures to get our pricing down, there is a lot that goes into our pricing beyond labor and materials, if you would like to discuss it further I would be more than happy to explain it more in detail if you would like to call the office and talk to me I would be happy to go over it with you. I appreciate you trusting in John Nugent & Sons and if we do any work in the future, I am sure there will be a different outcome.

02/15/2021

Alice S.

Nugent & Sons fixed pendant kitchen lights that had detached from broken ceiling boxes. Nugent gave a $211 estimate to repair a single light. Total time for the repairs to three lights was close to three hours; the first light repair took about half that time. The repairs appear to have been well done. But we believe the bill was excessive, and unjustified. We paid the $1071 on site. The invoice was delivered later, and consisted of two unintelligible charges: “Customer Provided Lighting Fixture*Each $633", and “Miscellaneous Minor Repair $438". Asked for an explanation of the invoice, the Nugent accounting office (Chris) said that $211 for each of the three lights was the total of $633, as estimated. And the $438? The explanations offered changed, conflicted, and became increasingly creative. Among the explanations for the $438 were the following. ● Nugent charged $40 for each electrical ceiling box installed to support the lights. Nugent said $40 was a reduction from its “book rate” of $65 each. Those same boxes sell at Home Depot for approximately $3 each, less when purchased in quantity. ● The remaining $318 ($438 - $120) was for extra time, beyond 45 minutes, for each of the three repairs, billed in one-half hour increments, which is the shortest time increment Nugent bills. However, in our home, two of the three lights were repaired within 45 minutes. (Note that if each of three repairs runs over the 45 minutes by only a minute or two, Nugent will charge $318 for an additional one and one-half hours of work.) ● Nugent argued that the extra charges were justified by what Nugent “saved” us in drywall repairs by not needing to cut the drywall. So the less Nugent does, the more it charges. We were never told before or during the jobs that there might be additional charges for time or for materials – and certainly not for such excessive and creative pricing of time and materials. Consequently, we cannot recommend Nugent & Sons to others.

Description of Work
Repair of pendant light fixtures (broken ceiling electrical boxes).

Work Completed On 02/04/2021

01/29/2021

David M.

My 50 year old toilet, a stock American Standard model the builder installed, was overflowing, so I thought I had a drain clog. Not so, said the Nugent plumber, Tommy. He diagnosed it as an aging toilet whose inner traps had failed, so he recommended a few units to replace it. I selected his top of the line choice — a Toto model reputed to be the best. The company delivered it to him while we waited and he installed it well. Problem solved. Note: The cost of service reflects a 5% Angie's List discount.

Description of Work
Toilet replacement

Cost $842.65

Work Completed On 01/29/2021

Thank You for taking the time to write your review we are glad to hear your experience with Tommy and the plumbing Dept. We can also be service with your HVAC or Electrical if those are needed. Thank you again for trusting in John Nugent & Sons.

01/25/2021

Becky M.

Michael was very professional. He started by explaining how much the 2 things I wanted done would cost. He had the faucet replaced in no time. We also wanted a quarter-turn handle placed on a water supply line. He did that fine but the cost he quoted was much more than I expected. I saw a previous review stating $375 for the faucet and that is exactly what I was charged. For the quarter turn handle it was $225.

Description of Work
Replace kitchen faucet

Work Completed On 01/19/2021

We're glad you had such a positive & informative experience! Thank You for trusting John Nugent & Sons.

01/12/2021

Jay B.

After being a good customer for 30yrs needed work and was blown off for 2 days they had 2 guys working directly across the street from me and could not provide service. they where very busy . They have gotten gotten to big to care about long time customers and the money I spent on water heaters and a/c and heating units. Called Arlington A/C and they will have someone out in the morning. Jay Byrnes

Description of Work
Heater Repair

Category appliance repair, heating & air conditioning/hvac

Work Completed On 01/12/2021

We appreciate your loyalty to our company and want all of our customers to feel they have gotten a great experience from beginning to the end with John Nugent & Sons. I am sorry that you did not feel that way. If we do any work in the future, we will continue to strive to achieve that for you.

01/12/2021

Rus G.

Very professional, thorough and efficiently priced.

Description of Work
Plumbing.

Work Completed On 01/09/2021

Thank you for the glowing review! We are glad to be of service

12/20/2020

Chris T.

No problem with scheduling. I requested a quote and was contacted quickly to set up an appointment. The estimator arrived within the scheduled window and conducted a review of our current system and made verbal recommendations. This was on a Friday, and we were promised a quote the following Monday. No quote arrived. I called after one week and was told that they would get back to me. After two full weeks +, I have not been contacted or recieved a quote.

Description of Work
Estimate to replace a home A/C unit

Category appliance repair, heating & air conditioning/hvac

Work Completed On 12/04/2020

We are always appreciative of our clients bringing any and all issues to our attention. We are sorry we were unable to provide service that was satisfactory to you. Please call our office to further discuss if you are still in need of our services.

12/06/2020

Philip E.

Tech #294 Mario was very professional and helpfully explained the problem. He inspected the furnace (found not problems beyond broken damper) and cleaned part of the ductwork. Total charge for visit $208. He provided a quote for damper replacement: $380. Seems high for replacing manual damper, but I guess good service costs good money.

Description of Work
Gas furnace damper broken

Category air duct cleaning

Work Completed On 11/23/2020

Glad to hear you had such a great experience with Mario, he is keeping with our company standards of quality customer service. We appreciate you trusting John Nugent & Sons . Do not hesitate to call if you need to damper replacement we are happy to help you with that.

12/02/2020

Kirk D.

Good experience. Very professional, recommended them to my neighbor.

Description of Work
Install ceiling light fixtures, move a light fixture, install two dimmer switches

Category electrician, lighting, air duct cleaning

Work Completed On 12/02/2020

Thank you for your loyalty and recommendation. We appreciate your business.

11/21/2020

Vera D.

They came back the second time I had a question. It was kind. He was professional.

Description of Work
They checked out my HVAC controller. They repaired sump pump.

Work Completed On 11/18/2020