Holloway Company Inc

Founded 1994 • With Angi since September 2007

42351 Azalea Ln

Sterling, VA 20166

Indoor and outdoor showroom and design center....

08/03/2018

Patricia B.

This was a challenging project for Holloway reps because they received conflicting feedback and delayed action by individuals at our condo. At the onset of the project (December 2017), Holloway reviewed City-approved plans for the condo's terrace and provided the condo's governing board with five preliminary designs showing various recommended furniture layouts using top-quality furniture lines. Their subsequent bid proposal offered the furniture at a significant savings, as compared to the bids from other vendors, and the board approved it. At the condo, a volunteer committee was formed, initially to work with Holloway in selecting furniture pieces and later to review and recommend fabrics and color samples to the company. Holloway subsequently provided the condo's governing board with two color schemes to consider and their standard construction contract to sign. Some members of the board did not agree with the color selection and questioned why the contract had language related to construction guarantees. The board asked for different colors and turned Holloway's contract over to the condo's attorney to revise. A month later, the contract was signed. Despite delays on the condo's terrace by construction crews and actions by condo individuals, Holloway reps remained professional throughout the project, maintained a can-do attitude, and worked HARD to deliver the terrace furniture by the time City Code officials approved opening the terrace for use and (fortunately) before the pool season in May. Bottom line, Holloway definitely is a top-notch company with which to work.

Description of Work
Furniture layout design, purchase, and installation on our condo's elevated terrace

Category furniture sales

05/27/2017

Sean F.

After getting bids on similar designs from four deck companies (all highly rated on Angie's List), we hired Holloway. Based on what I had heard, I expected their price to be high, but they actually came in just below the average of the four. In addition to cost, I had seen much of their work around my neighborhood and we were able to buy nice furniture and a hot tub through them at good discounts. Holloway also maintains an outdoor showroom to showcase examples of their work. Work was performed in April-June of 2016, and they pushed to complete in time for a graduation party. Workmanship is excellent, and a year later, we continue to get great complements on it from people who visit. As with any contractor I have hired, I reviewed work daily, and had to take up several issues with the foreman, and sometimes the owner. All issues were settled to my satisfaction.

Description of Work
Deck and cover built, also supplied hot tub and deck furniture.

Category decks, lighting, furniture sales

03/27/2017

Jim W.

Projects almost done. Fantastic. New Trex deck and two stone patios plus retaining walls

Description of Work
Best construction firm I've ever dealt with.

Category decks, lighting, patios

09/21/2016

stacy B.

Amazing - the patio and deck look exactly like the sketch provided for us during the consultation. Holloway worked with us to decide upon the best option to fit our lifestyle, budget and space. We have an amazing space now and actually enjoy using our backyard. We couldn't be happier.

Description of Work
New deck, with pavilion and patio addition

Category decks, furniture sales

05/13/2016

Scott D.

If you are considering using this company, you should know that they are the best at what they do in the Northern VA area and arguably one of the best in the country. Hands down. I did a ton of research on deck/patio builders and Holloway's expertise, skill, and professionalism, not to mention their satisfaction ratings, are superior. Their projects are frequently featured by Trex and other top line hardscape product vendors as their "showcase" displays - catalogue covers, website center pieces, etc. So it's not surprising that their pricing may be higher than other deck/patio builders in the area - they can command it and likely deserve it. I worked with Dave Frutchey through the design process on a custom curved Trex deck with paver patio, firepit, and seatwall. I was very impressed with the customer service he provided. He took my initial thoughts and created multiple designs that were very appealing and worked to drive cost toward my budget via creative ideas. Dave never pushed back on my numerous requests for design mods - we went through about 7 of them to zero in on the optimal design that met my requirements. At no time did I ever feel pressured into making a decision; rather, it was very apparent that Dave's #1 goal was to make sure I was happy with the design. This is important as a project like this is a significant investment and becomes a major centerpiece and gathering place of the home. And the low pressure and attentive design process was somewhat unexpected from a company that is not hurting for business - their schedules are full with high dollar projects. It was very nice to see. By the time I had gathered all the quotes I needed to make the decision on the builder, Holloway's lead time to start the project was unfortunately not compliant with our needs (their schedule fills up fast due to demand). So I made the decision to use a different company that could complete the project quicker, at a slightly reduced cost. I'm hoping this decision works out for us. Even with the longer lead time, the decision was a difficult one as the Holloway Company is a known quantity - their designs are impressive, their work is technically excellent, and their professionalism is top notch. I encourage anyone interested in a deck/patio project to reach out to Holloway - they are an impressive company with the portfolio to prove it. If all their designers are similar to Dave Frutchey in terms of attentiveness, professionalism, and cooperation to meet the customer's needs/requests, you will be glad you did.

Description of Work
Design process for outside deck/patio project

04/19/2015

Robert W.

I'm updating an earlier review I submitted last year to give a long-term review. We had a sizable paver patio installed in the spring of 2014. Our yard is on a slope. The initial process was easy the best out of those who quoted the job. The price was great as well. It has been a year since the patio was installed, and not a single complaint or issue has come up. Not even a burnt out light bulb in the lighting package we had installed. Solid, solid, solid work done by these folks.

Description of Work
patio install with pavers, and two chapel walls with seating area. Plus lighting package.

Category decks, landscaping, lighting, hardscaping, patios

02/08/2015

Joan F.

Holloway gave us a good estimate on the proposal. Product line was good and we were please with the finished product.

Description of Work
We had a new Trex deck constructed on the back of our house.

12/19/2014

Thomas P.

This is a well run, efficient, and high-quality-output organization that really knows how to deliver on time, and without drama. From the initial design phase through construction and beyond, everyone has been awesome to deal with. The resulting construction is impressive and we look forward to many decades of enjoyment. It should be noted Holloway is largely a family run business with seemingly everyone related to one another - and we found this to be a good thing as communication flows throughout at a fast rate. Bottom line - for our hard earned money, Holloway delivered a product of the highest quality. We highly recommend them, without reservation, to anyone who values a quality product.

Description of Work
This was a decent sized project. In short Hollway: 1. Installed approximately 300 sq ft of pavers 2. Installed a full masonry seating wall - approximately 14 linear feet 3. Installed a 270 sq ft paver walkway 4. Installed a 256 sq ft, 3 sided screen porch, complete with a 256 sq ft paver base, Sunspace Windows 5. Within the porch, installed a wood burning fireplace. 6. Installed a disappearing rock water feature

11/16/2014

MaryAnn M.

Holloway has been a class act from day one. I rank them as one of the best construction companies we ever hired. They have been very responsive and do what they say they are going to do (and then some). Our deck was a $55,000 project that we couldn?t be happier with. Don?t even think about it. If your goal is a quality product, go with Holloway and you won?t be disappointed.

Description of Work
Holloway build a beautiful muli-tier deck for us.

09/16/2014

Frederic H.

I selected Holloway for three separate projects. Two in the back yard and one in the front yard. Ted and his team did an outstanding job from beginning to end. Ted was very communicative and professional. His team provided me with various options based on the budget that I had. Holloway constructed a fireplace pavilion, a patio and water feature in the backyard and stone retaining walls in the front. Ted's team provided beautiful design, stone work construction and landscaping. The office staff were very personable, friendly and helpful. Their furniture staff helped select the perfect fabrics to fit our (my wife's :-)) taste. We do a lot of backyard entertaining and the compliments we receive on the structures are nothing short of outstanding! With the various options we selected, me and my family spends a great deal of time outdoors all year long. Thank you Holloway! For those of you shopping around for an outdoor living contractor, Holloway is that contractor for you.

Description of Work
Provided a water feature that included a 16x12 pond with creek and waterfall. Constructed a 622 sqft paver patio and three retaininig stone walls approx. 16ft, 22ft and 15ft. all 22in high

Category decks, landscaping, hardscaping

04/22/2014

Robert W.

We had lined up a few quotes for a custom patio that measured around 10x20, give or take. The location was on a gentle slope downward from our existing deck steps. Dave with the Holloway Company was not only on-time for the very first meeting (even though it was on a weekend and freezing cold outside), but he brought several materials for us to review at our leisure. He walked the site, and was very effective in helping us "visualize" how the patio would work. Input from us on the design and materials used was minimal at best. Not because we didn't care, but because everything Dave was saying, was exactly what we were thinking as well. He'd set a date, and he and his excellent team would deliver, every time. From the first meeting, to supplying the drawings and contracts, to scheduling the actual work. It was a tough winter this year, schedules needed to be pushed. I'm sure we weren't the only ones in the lineup they had to shuffle around with due to the snow. We were also having a sprinkler system installed from another vendor, and they needed to wait for the patio to be done before they could do their work. All I had to ask was if they could be done by a certain date. They said "not a problem", and it was done. The Holloway Company was also the best priced by FAR from all of the others who looked at the project. Some venders were late, or didn't show up, or said one price estimate, only to have it balloon once the paperwork appeared, ect. Not Holloway. They gave a price on the first meeting, and that price stuck throughout the entire process. The process was impressive as well. No random delays, leaving you with a half finished project for days on end while you're left wondering what's going on. This is one of the most important characteristics to construction projects in my opinion. Holloway started the project on day one, and didn't stop until it was done. Same crew throughout the entire process. The quality is truly top-notch. The materials are fantastic, and leave no doubt in my mind the patio will likely outlive the house in general (house is only 2 years old by the way). There are many ways these projects can be done with cutting corners. Not the case with our experience with Holloway. It's not a stone patio set in the yard. It's a 3 stone deep patio installed after proper grading and drainage manipulation was done. We have two seating walls as well of stacked stone. It would probably take a direct shot from a speeding truck to get them to budge, even though they appear to just be stacked one on top of another. Impressive to see! Bottom line, VERY nice folks to work with. They know what they're doing, they know what is a fair and legitimate price, and they know how to communicate to their clients throughout the entire process to make sure not one single ill-feeling is created. Of the folks who bid on the job, Holloway is the only one I would recommend personally. Not a single complaint from me.

Description of Work
Custom stone patio install

01/05/2014

Todd K.

We don't typically do a lot of reviews, but having just completed a project with Holloway we had to share our experience. We just finished an outdoor project (patio, fireplace, kitchen, pool deck, pergola, boulder walkway) with Holloway and the product they delivered was incredible. My wife and I interviewed several contractors in the Northern Virginia area and this is why Holloway stood out: - We wanted a contractor that could show us previous projects with the hardscape items we were considering and projects that demonstrated their ability to do something above and beyond the basics. All of the rest of the contractors had 1 or 2 showcase jobs and the rest basic work. Holloway had dozens of jobs that showed the items we were looking for and every single one of them were elegant, amazing, and blew away the showcase jobs of the other contractors. - After completing several home projects, we have learned that good communication is one of the most important characteristics to look for in a contractor. Ted and his team were always accessible and the communication was outstanding. Questions were answered immediately and there was never any wondering when the crew was going to be there or how long the project phases would take. Everyone involved in the process was always accessible. - Ted and his crew completed everything on time, on budget, and went above and beyond to tweak our design along the way to continuously improve it throughout the construction process. They could see 10 steps ahead how certain aspects of the project would turn out and made recommendations that made every single aspect of the project beautiful. With literally dozens of design decisions to make, trusting in Holloway's recommendations left us loving every single element of the project and without a single regret. Words cannot express how completely delighted we are with the outdoor oasis that Holloway has created for us. What we have learned from this process is that this is an investment you are making and it's not worth risking your project with a contractor who will TRY and create something elegant for you. Every Holloway job we saw both in pictures and in person was elegant and amazing. If you select Holloway, you absolutely WILL get something exceptional and will not be disappointed.

Description of Work
Paver patio and pool deck, fireplace, kitchen, TV area, boulder walkway.

Category decks, hardscaping, patios, outdoor kitchens

09/19/2013

Kim K.

Excellent; worked with our ideas and incorporated own touches to create a beautiful outdoor living area.

Description of Work
Travertine pool deck, gazebo, bar, fireplace,etc

Category decks, outdoor kitchens

08/15/2013

John T.

Explained above. Excellent work and very happy with them and the results.

Description of Work
Installed Treks deck and front porch railings. Dave Fritchie was our point-of-contact throughout the process and worked closely with our HOA to satisfy them. We are delighted with the finished product. Recently, another contractor damaged our front railing and Holloway is going to replace it at the expense of the party causing the damage. Also, since I need a handicap rail for the steps they are going to put one on for me.

04/29/2013

Wendy D.

We had used Holloway many years ago and found Ted to be very helpful in designing through construction. This time was no different. Ted helped us through design option and provided quotes for all of them. During the construction we found both Rob and Rueben very responsive and we were very pleased with the end result.

Description of Work
We brought in Holloway to do a new deck and patio..

01/14/2013

John T.

Holloway has exceeded my project expectations for hiring them to build ~70sq ft Trex deck and stairs with LED lights and 300+ sq ft. stone patio with 18 linear ft bench seating in our challenging slopped down backyard. Dave from Holloway's design team is always available to promptly answer my questions and even offer beneficial design corrections to the last minute. He really looks out for the most efficient and best use of your design as the project progresses. Also a big thanks to Karen from Holloway who diligently gather all the necessary HOA documentation requirements for me and mailed it for approval with no stress on my part. The deck and patio work started and finished on time. The work crews always started their work on time and clean out the surrounding work area when they leave for the day. Rob, the down to earth and easy to talk to project manager, was there once a day to oversee the progress and to address my concerns or questions. A couple minor punch out items after the finished project were also fixed promptly. Overall, the start to end experience with Holloway was exceptional and beyond my expectations!

Description of Work
Exceptional Service from Start to End!

10/18/2012

David P.

The job was started before the estimated start-date and was completed on time. -Day 1: Removal of existing paver patio (600 sf) - Crew was careful in relocating our "things" that we on the patio, laid out new patio location. -Significant grading was done as the sunken patio was being built into a fairly steep slope. The crew relocated a tree for us as well. -Each day, they cleaned up and roped off the danger zones. A crew of 3 to 6 arrived each day around 8am without fail (except most weekends) and worked until around 5pm. -The crews used were specific to the jobs they were doing (grading, footers and block work, pavers, stone work, etc) and all were all professional and courteous. . .very skilled at what they do. -The supervisor was on site fairly often and addressed any questions/concerns we had. -The project took about one month which was exactly as estimated. -There were no "punch-out" items. . .we were extremely pleased with the work and impressed with the professionalism. -I can't imagine the project being any better. . .you get what you pay for!

Description of Work
1) Paver Patio (approx 600 sf) under existing deck, sitting wall, low voltage lights; 2) Sunken paver patio (approx 500 sf), stone wall surrounding entire patio, 42 inch stone Fireplace (9ft chimney), hot-tub pad, stairs, low voltage lights.

Category decks, landscaping, lighting, tree service, hardscaping, patios, outdoor kitchens

08/08/2012

Tracey L.

I was so very impressed from design to the delivery. In my opinion, this company overdelivered (unheard of these days). The level of detail was far beyond my expectation. The vision put forth on the deck design was ....state of the art. Communication was a daily event and no detail was dropped. Expecations were set daily as to what would happen and the quality and pride of the workers - simply refreshing. There were many extras thrown in that I did not anticipate and modifications were encouraged. From design to delivery, from worker to worker, from truck to bobcat, from sale to punch, I couldn't say more. This is a first class organization and nothing but quality was delivered!

Description of Work
I added on a full deck; second story screened in porch, deck, patio, retaining wall and stacked stone through out the length of the house.

07/17/2012

Dana S.

We just received a detailed estimate from Holloway on a back patio, sitting wall, and a front walkway and courtyard.Their estimate was fair but we decided to go with another company based on the work we had seen around our neighborhood.

Description of Work
We just received a detailed estimate from Holloway on a back patio, sitting wall, and a front walkway and courtyard. Their estimate was fair but we decided to go with another company based on the work we had seen around our neighborhood.

06/09/2012

Elizabeth W.

Spent time to go see their displays - pleased with what we saw. Filled out a contact sheet; described the job. Discussed product brochures, picked out products. Requested an initial appointment for site visit. Never got a call back. Waited three weeks, made an appointment with another company for next week.

Description of Work
No services were performed.

04/05/2012

thomas W.

This company did a good job overall. The fit and finish of the deck is nice. The crew arrived on time; was clean, professional, polite, and worked well together. As compared to the old deck, our new one is much better. From the initial contact all the way thru the job commencement all went smoothly. The only problem I had with this project was supervision. I asked specifically before we placed a deposit who was going to supervise our project. I rarely saw him. I at least expected a job site visit each day and to check in with us as we made it clear we wanted supervision. Fortunately I happened to be home and witnessed the crew covering up the rotten wood that was to be removed and replaced. I don't know what would have happened had I not been there. A few phone calls and this was resolved. There were a few minor issues regarding county design details that were also dealt with. Had I seen a better attempt at supervision, I would rate this company A plus all the way.

Description of Work
Removal of an existing deck. Remove and replace a section of rotten wood under a patio door that was a result of a poorly flashed previous installation. Rebuild a new deck and larger deck.

03/20/2012

Mark W.

You get what you par for.Great experience form start to finish. I live in a townhouse, and the small backyard was not graded properly when they were built in the 1970s, so when it rains the water heads towards the back of the house, rather than way from it.. Was not much of a problem until some heavy rains we had in 2011. Our basement had a lot of flooding, se we deicded to fix the root of the problem, which was the grade of the backyard. This involved removing the previous brick patio, re-grading and installing a new patio, with some drainage features. Holloway was recommended by our electrician. We appreciated being able to visit their showroom in Arcada (southern Sterling, VA) - a one-acre display of different patio ideas (installed). We did not like the idea of trying to pick out the new patio design by looking at a brochure or online. It really helped to be able to see different options in person. We also liked the fact that the person who came out to give us an estimate was the person responsible for installing the patio - they did not send a salesperson. They performed the work as described in a timely and professional fashion, and it was quality work. The only thing I'd say is that are probably not the cheapest option. But I didn't mind paying for quality and professionalism.

Description of Work
Installed new backyard patio, using pavers.

Category hardscaping

03/07/2012

jeff M.

Very professional, punctual, good end product, terrific follow up

Description of Work
walkway & patio

01/22/2012

Phillip W.

Very happy with Holloway Company. I would highly recommend. I used another company for my gazeebo, composite deck, patio stone walkway & patio. But wish I would have used Holloway. I used them for my mother's house which I bought in Potomac green in a retirement community. Not only do they have a show room where you can see the materials in use in an outdoor area, They will draw up a nice diagram/model of the finished product. The price wasn't the best but one thing i've learned is you have to go with a quality company. Holloway installed lights in any retaining wall automatically included.. the company I used for my own house wanted to charge me also the materials were much better quality. Even though Hollow may be priced more would highly recommend them as the finished product will be much better than cheaper companies.

Description of Work
Had a patio stone patio built with a flag stone retaining wall with built in lighting, also had 5 evergreens installed by wall.

12/15/2011

Regina W.

Overall the project came out beautifully. Once again the Holloway team worked with me to ensure I got the results I expected and by the dates we specified. Dave had quoted a two-day project, but having worked with Holloway before I was aware that this does not mean consecutive days. They parse out the tasks and it ended up taking six days. However, they worked to meet my deadline and I greatly appreciate that. The new walkway has a gentle slope down to the drive way that ends right where a car door would open. It makes much more sense now and looks great. The stairs were refaced with matching flag stone and they used natural stone on the on the risers that really matches well with my brick front home. The electrician arranged for the electrical permits and installed the pole and lighting that I provided. Everything passed inspection without any problems. I couldn't be happier and love all the positive comments I am getting from the neighbors.

Description of Work
Holloway jack hammered out the old walkway, poured a longer concrete walkway and added flag stones to the new walkway and existing stairs. They dug a trench for new lighting cable to add a light pole and arranged for their electrician to perform the work.

Category concrete driveways

Mottern Masonry Design

Mottern Masonry Design is a Northern Virginia company with 20+ years of experience in the Masonry field. A benchmark in the masonry field, Mottern Masonry Design and all its employees strive to provide you with outstanding craftsmanship & durability, innovative ideas, exceptional customer service, and a beautiful end product. We specialize in creating custom walkways, stone & brick stoops, patios, fireplace profiles, chimney caps, and repairs of all sizes. We combine the ideas of our potential customers with our experience and expertise to create unique results that are a step above our competition. Award winning.

J Reynolds Landscaping

J Reynolds Landscaping was created to provide the Northern Virginia area with the highest quality installation of landscaping materials possible. The Owner, Matt Meyer along with Jason Reynolds, has been installing custom designs right here in the northern Virginia area for over 18 years. With a reputation for excellence, the highest quality customer service, master craftsmanship and fair pricing. A design expert will come to your home and provide you with a free consultation and estimate for your homes unique needs. J Reynolds Landscaping will then provide you with the professional installation of the materials that you have chosen for your home. We differ from other Landscaping companies because we: - Never sub-contract any portion of the job. - A design expert is physically on every job site. - Your job is completed before any other job has been started. - We have no day laborers. - We are licensed and insured. - Estimates are always free. - All installers have at least 3 years of experience.

Diversified Contractors LLC

Customer satisfaction comes first, which is why the owner is present throughout most of the construction and installation. We love what we do and we put that care into each project. We have hundreds of satisfied customers in MD, DC and Northern Virginia who will be more than happy to provide references. From simple and humble patios to vast and spacious landscapes, we always bring sophistication. Great or small, every endeavor is an honor to us and your exquisite taste is our passion.

Check, Visa, MasterCard, Financing Available, American Express

Outdoor kitchens & fireplaces, patios, stone and retaining walls, decks, gazebos, screened porches, ponds and waterfalls, dry creek beds, landscape lighting, outdoor furniture & outdoor televisions.