Carmack Moving & Storage

Founded 1985 • With Angi since January 2009

Carmack Moving and Storage, Inc. is an independent, competitively-priced, full-service moving and storage company headquartered in Sterling, Virginia. We have a long and proud history of providing relocation and transportation solutions to clients locally and nationwide. Carmack is known for their innovation, knowledgeable people, high reliability, and excellent customer service. We have a state-of-the-art storage facility to store your treasures safely - short term or long term. Virginia Household Goods Carrier Certificate #665 U.S. DOT #1503939...

Carmack Moving Facility

+23 more images

movers (166)storage unit (17)hauling (5)piano movers (3)flooring (1)

08/20/2022

Eileen D.

From start to finish, an excellent experience & would definitely recommend them to others

Description of Work
Moving from Virginia to Georgia…involved 1 month storage before delivery

Work Completed On 08/20/2022

07/03/2022

sandy C.

Fantastic! The workers were on time. Very friendly and helpful! They were very careful about wrapping every piece of furniture! Mr. Carmack stop by to make sure everything was going smooth. My husband and I are very happy with their work. We highly recommend this company to anyone who is moving, either local or long distance! Thank you again guys for a job well done 👍!

Description of Work
Moving and storage

Category flooring contractor

Work Completed On 07/02/2022

07/31/2021

Julie H.

Our moving experience with CARMACK was exceptional. From the very first phone call with Sharon to the estimate and scheduling and guidance from Jim culminating in the fabulous three man crew led by Ernesto the move was easy and well worth the cost. They took care of our belongings including our piano and our home(s) walls. After the move it was necessary to call Sharon for help with the payment as our bank messed up the transfer. She solved the problem and our payment was processed. We moved 13 times with the USAF and we know that when it comes to moving companies they are not all alike and that the hard part is knowing if they are just selling you or will deliver on their promises. CARMACK delivered on every promise and were exceptional to work with. We highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Move from Northern VA to NC

Category moving companies, piano moving

Work Completed On 04/23/2021

02/14/2021

Greg G.

Extremely well. They were very professional from start to finish on a long difficult move. They worked very hard for 13 straight hours and we had no issues. They also accommodated a last minute date change with no problems. I would definitely hire again.

Description of Work
Large home move

Work Completed On 02/06/2021

Thank you for choosing Carmack Moving & Storage & we appreciate you taking the time to give us a review !

01/20/2021

Kevin M.

Great job by Carmack team. Fast, efficient, careful. Cheerful group as well

Description of Work
Local mid-size move

Work Completed On 01/20/2021

Thank you for the review and for choosing Carmack Moving & Storage -- we appreciate it!

01/02/2021

George B.

Packing ok but destination was a disaster for unpacking. People hired were local without moving expertise. Wife's wedding ring stolen, items broken during unpack, boxes put in wrong rooms. People hired to unpack only interested in a pay check. Worst moving experience ever. Military moving was a breeze compared to this.

Description of Work
move a 4 bedroom home from VA to SC

Work Completed On 11/02/2020

12/23/2020

Melanie H.

Carmack made an extremely stressful move really easy and smooth for us. They sent a really professional and kind team of guys out to move our furniture and a few large boxes we wouldn't be able to fit in cars. With it being COVID times, they were really flexible to do the quote over FaceTime and Jim was excellent at walking me through the Carmack process and spec'd exactly what we needed and was fair with the price quoted. Loved this experience and would happily hire them again.

Description of Work
Local move of large items

Work Completed On 12/18/2020

Love hearing that your experience was exactly as it should be from start to finish! Thank you for choosing Carmack Moving & Storage for your move and all of us wish you the happiest of holidays!

12/09/2020

Teresa N.

They were very professional, they packed our furniture carefully, and arrived in good shape.

Description of Work
They moved our household furniture, boxes, and etc.

Work Completed On 12/09/2018

Thank you for the review and all of us at Carmack wish you the best this holiday season!

11/25/2020

Debra L M.

The company arrived punctually, performed service quickly and efficiently. Staff was professional and nice!!

Description of Work
Moved.furniture out of sold condo and transferred to new home and some pieces to dump

Category hauling services, moving companies, apartments

Work Completed On 11/21/2020

Thank you for choosing Carmack Moving & Storage - we appreciate you!

11/25/2020

Heather P.

Our entire experience with Carmack was exceptional. Jim, the sales coordinator was wonderful. He responded quickly to every email/text/cell, and his estimate was spot-on. Our moving crew, led by Ernesto, was AMAZING. They packed all of our antiques and baby grand piano with precision and care, and they were equally careful in setting everything back up in our new house. On top of that, they were EFFICIENT when loading and unloading. I can not praise them enough!!

Description of Work
Move from Virginia to Pennsylvania

Category moving companies, piano moving

Work Completed On 11/21/2020

Thank you so very much for taking the time to give us a great review! All of us at Carmack Moving & Storage wish you the best in your new home!

11/03/2020

Michael M.

Carmack did an outstanding job! From Michael, who set up the move to Ernesto and his crew who took great care to move all our stuff from the old house to the new house, including picking up many items we had placed in storage, it was an easy and well-run experience. Nothing was broken or scratched and the crew was fast and efficient! Would definitely use them again for any move.

Description of Work
House Move (including from storage unit)

Work Completed On 10/22/2020

We all thank you for taking the time to give us a great review!

10/19/2020

Ollie L.

Micheal Brooks was very through and patience in explaining the moving process to me. We was willing to work within my budget to complete the moving process. The driver of the moving truck was very polite and patience. I would highly recommend CarMack moving services to others. Ollie La Rue

Description of Work
Move residential furniture out of state.

Work Completed On 09/15/2020

10/18/2020

RoseMarie M.

An amazing crew that provided excellent service. Initially, I spoke with Joe who put together the estimate over the phone. He was right on point with the amount of boxes it would take, the size of the truck that we would need, and the time it would take the movers to load and unload. The moving team was exceptionally punctual on arriving for pick up and unloading on the other end. My closing and move-in date had to be changed twice and Carmack was very accommodating. The move went smoothly and the crew was respectful and upbeat. Such a group of hard workers. I would definitely hire them again and recommend them to others.

Description of Work
A move from Montgomery County in Maryland to Loudoun County in Virginia.

Category moving companies, storage units, apartments

Work Completed On 10/01/2020

10/15/2020

Diane C.

Professional movers provided excellent service from start to finish. They were able to accommodate our flexible move date. Did a great job taking cate of our items. The moving crew were a group of hard workers. Would hire them again.

Description of Work
Local move

Work Completed On 09/30/2020

Review for Carmack Moving & Storage - 45055 Underwood Ln, Sterling, VA - 38950278

10/14/2020

Raymond D.

Everything went like clockwork. Pickup into storage without a hitch. Storage move to NC the same. Ne breakage of anything and I found that hard to believe as I had made several military moves in the past and we always had breakage. Great services, great price. Very repsonsive anytime I had a question. Highly recommended to all.

Description of Work
Household Move from VA to NC with 6 mos storage

Work Completed On 07/11/2020

Review for Carmack Moving & Storage - 45055 Underwood Ln, Sterling, VA - 38948190

Thank you for this incredible feedback. We thank you for choosing and trusting Carmack with your long-distance move!

09/03/2020

Kyle P.

We cannot rate Carmack highly enough. Debbie, who put together the estimate over the phone was scary accurate with the amount of boxes it would take to pack various spaces, the size of the truck that we would need, and how long it would take the movers to load and unload. Not only did the moving team need exactly the amount of time she estimated, but they were exceptionally punctual on both ends of the move as we needed to store our items for about a week. I can't imagine using anyone else for moving services and have recommended them to multiple close friends and family since. They took a critical element of one of the most stressful life events and made it into something we didn't have to worry about at all.

Description of Work
Moving and short-term storage services

Work Completed On 06/22/2018

Thank you so much for providing this feedback to us. We greatly appreciate you!

08/26/2020

Joanna H.

Jim in sales did a great job collecting all my info to determine an estimate, and everything was smoothly set up. Our movers worked quickly and efficiently! It was so nice to not have to worry about anything .

Description of Work
Moving services

Work Completed On 08/20/2020

Thank you for this amazing feedback and for choosing Carmack Moving & Storage for your move!

08/19/2020

Leslie G.

From the estimate to the final delivery, the Carmack team delivered excellent, professional, and friendly service. The loading and delivery team of Ernesto, Walter and Josua took great care with my possessions and worked quickly to load up my old home and then deliver and set up in my new home. I was extremely impressed with everyone I dealt with and would recommend them without hesitation to anyone looking for a mover!

Description of Work
Local move from one house to another

Work Completed On 08/15/2020

Thank you so much for the glowing review! We appreciate it and thank you for choosing Carmack Moving and Storage! Stay Safe!

08/18/2020

Beverly C.

The move went smoothly! The movers were professional and punctual. They knew what they were doing and they worked directly with me to keep things moving. I'd hire them again. The final bill was $1,000 less than originally quoted.

Description of Work
Move from one city to another close by

Work Completed On 08/18/2020

Thank you for taking the time to let others know that Carmack Moving & Storage took care of your move as expected. We love our customers and appreciate the A rating! All of us at Carmack wish you all the best and hope to work with you again should you, or your family or friends, need moving, packing, or storage services in the future.

07/24/2020

Maureen H.

From my initial contact with sales to the office staff, moving crew and operations manager, our move couldn't have gone smoother! COVID-19 forced our initial contact to be via FaceTime which was conducted very professionally by Jim. We had several more conversations before our move. Jim was always responsive, courteous, straightforward and professional. The office staff is cheerful and very helpful. Our moving crew handled our furniture with great care, and Rob in operations called before our delivery date (to a new subdivision) to be sure they were clear on our location and restrictions on delivery. They were punctual, professional, friendly and best of all, we received our items without a scratch.

Description of Work
Out of state move

Work Completed On 07/03/2020

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide the details, from start to finish, on your move. We really appreciate knowing that our efforts to estimate, communicate, and perform were in-line with your expectations and that you were happy with the results! All of us wish you the absolute best in your new home!

07/20/2020

Dana U.

On time, very professional and extremely helpful! My friend stood me up so I had to .do everything myself. Those guys took over, set everything up and did a better job than I would have. I really appreciated it because I'm handicapped and was in a lot of pain that day. The supervisor Jim was extremely professional and trustworthy and always available for questions. Truly a 1st class experience!

Description of Work
Moving and setting up new apt.

Category apartments

Work Completed On 06/01/2020

Very glad to hear that Jim and your crew were there for you from start to finish! All of us at Carmack Moving wish you the best and hope you would consider us for any future moves for you, your family, or friends. Thank you for the great review.

05/19/2020

Eric D.

I was conducing an in-town move, with both locations about 1 mile apart. I was mainly looking just to have the heavy furniture moved, while I moved the smaller items (clothes, kitchen stuff, etc) myself. I contacted three companies for an estimate, per usual. I wasn't sure what to expect given COVID-19 issues, but most handled it either through a video chat or me providing a detailed description of what I had. I'm not sure if this was just because of the pandemic, or if that is how companies do it now...but I figured I'd add that detail. Carmack and one other Angie's List provider were pretty close in cost comparison and reviews. I had a better gut with Carmack, so went ahead with them. Communication through the process was great, and Jim was able to answer any questions I had. I did purchase the extra insurance - even though the move was so close, I didn't want to have to gamble on major damage. The moving crew showed up promptly the morning of the move. They took very good care to wrap the furniture as they moved, and were extremely careful about the walls, floors, and railings. I was very happy with that, because I was leaving a rental unit and didn't want to risk my security deposit! The crew was very nice and polite. They asked questions if they wanted to know how they should handle something. They also wanted to make sure I had visibility on anything that already had damage/scratches, which I was fine with. In most cases I pointed it out pre-damaged items anyway. When they packed up the rental, there were just a couple VERY minimal dents in one of the stairwells, because I had some pretty difficult furniture for a curving staircase. They were well prepared and repaired the dents in no time. I told them I'd paint, since I had the paint on hand anyway. When we got to the new place, they were great with moving things where they needed to go, and set everything up. They removed a couple doors to ensure they had proper clearance, and put them back at the end. It was easier moving into the new place than moving out of the old one! Here too, the crew was respectful and careful not to damage anything. They were very personable and pleasant guys, and I'm happy to have worked with them! The finished in the amount of time estimated too, which was impressive. This was my first interaction with a moving company that seemed to take the level of care with your furniture as you would yourself. I'd definitely use them again, and recommend to others! The cost of the job does not include the extra ~$300 I paid for the additional insurance coverage, since that was an optional upgrade.

Description of Work
Moving Furniture to new residence

Work Completed On 04/29/2020