J & F Specialties Inc

Founded 1995 • With Angi since August 2010

7418 Jervis St

Springfield, VA 22151

Over 20 years of passionate & professional remodeling services in Northern Virginia, we offer design/build services to provide our clients a pleasant, stress free remodeling experience from concept to completion and beyond. We take great pride in our many happy clients and are passionate about providing them with the highest quality remodeling service. We specialize in kitchen remodeling, from cabinet refacing to major design changes; bathroom remodeling, from the hall bath to amazing master baths; along with custom cabinetry and built-ins. As a Class A Builder we can assist you in adding space to your home and interior renovations to suit other areas of your home such as home offices and basements....

06/01/2020

Sara M.

John Boynton and his team and subcontractors perform excellent work. They collaborate well with homeowners so that they take in requests and provide suggestions to come up with solutions that are artful and durable. They provide timely communication and have come back to fix small things that we had overlooked originally. Our new HVAC system has been noted by several other professionals who have visited our house as a “Masterpiece.” Our kitchen and our master bath are also strikingly well done and receive many compliments. Our renovation nearly doubled the size of our house, including digging out to build onto the basement. The whole process took about a year. During that time, John and his team were consistently considerate and dedicated to helping us.

Description of Work
Add on rooms/remodel kitchen and bath

Category ceramic tile,closet systems,concrete repair,countertops,decks,drywall,electrician,flooring contractor,hardwood floor,heating & air conditioning/hvac,insulation,lighting,plumbing,remodeling,roofing,siding,replacement windows,marble & granite,home remodeling,interior painters,doors,basement remodeling

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. It is much appreciated!

06/01/2020

Karen and Will S.

HIRE THEM - THEY ARE THE BEST!!! John and his team did our kitchen and our addition in 2015 and 2016 and I can't say enough wonderful things about them. They were done the day they said they would be and to the dollar they quoted me. They are also the nicest group of people to work with and became temporary family members while they were in our house. I would trust them with anything. And five years later, the work has stood the test of time. Quality people and quality work. You can't go wrong with them!

Description of Work
New Kitchen and Addition (bedroom)

Category air duct cleaning,home remodeling

01/23/2018

Lynn P.

It took a little longer than I expected but the work is first class.

Description of Work
J & F Specialties did work in both my kitchen and my bathroom. The bathroom was a total renovation and the result is spectacular. I could not be happier with the work. In my kitchen, J & F replaced all the drawers, cabinet doors, and hardware. It looks great and functions so much better than before. Just as important as the work is the people who do it. J & F sends lovely, qualified people who are a pleasure to have in your home. This is the second time I have worked with this company and I would certainly hire them in the future.

Category remodeling,home remodeling,cabinet refacing

06/22/2016

MIchael F.

We hired the crew from J&F Specialties to help design and then build a custom two-story wooden playhouse/swingset in our backyard. Although we had a basic idea for the design, John did a fantastic job addressing the technical aspects of the design while ensuring a child-friendly space. He thought of everything - recommending specific products to ensure structural stability, durability and safety. John and the crew went above and beyond to create a beautiful architectural focal point that doubles as a child's dream play house! Given the attention to detail for every aspect from design to completion we would highly recommend their team for your contracting needs!

Description of Work
Design and build a two story play house.

Category playground equipment,garage builders,woodworking

06/03/2015

Bill K.

After 20+ years, it was time to update and remodel our kitchen. Over the course of many months and after talking with a dozen remodeling companies, we decided to use Kitchen Solvers of Springfield. The owner, John Boynton, was referred to us from a friend who had used his company for remodeling work. John has been in the remodeling business for many years. We scheduled an appointment with John to discuss our plans. From the start we were impressed with John, his knowledge, and ideas.? The proposed project was to be a complete remodel of the kitchen, adjacent powder room, and additional work in the laundry room. Although we had created a plan for what we wanted to accomplish, John was very helpful in ?tweaking? our design and in referring us to preferred sources for countertops, flooring, tiles, etc. John even let us borrow sample cabinet doors so that we could decide what would complement the decor in our home. After a couple of meetings to finalize the plan, we signed a contract. John diligently worked with us to finalize the cost estimate to keep it within our budget. On the planned start date, the Kitchen Solvers Team arrived on time and John arrived shortly after to review everything that needed to be done. The first thing the workers did was seal off the kitchen from the other rooms to prevent dust and debris from getting outside the work area. Demolition can be messy but the workmen carefully removed the old kitchen piece by piece with minimal disruption and noise. The project was not without its challenges due to the way the original kitchen had been built. However, John and his team solved all the problems they encountered and did a perfect job of installing the new cabinets, countertops, appliances, light fixtures, backsplash tile, etc.? The cabinets are not only very well made but are also an excellent value. We now have a beautiful kitchen, powder room and laundry room--all done with excellent workmanship. What really stands out with this company is how easy it was to work with everyone. John was always responsive and available via phone and email. He regularly came to our home to check on the work and answer any of our questions (and there were many.)? The workmen were very polite, considerate of our home, and cleaned up the work area every day.? John gets most of his work from referrals and we are happy to continue that tradition by referring his company to others who are in need of his services.

Description of Work
Complete remodel of kitchen and powder room with additional work in the laundry room.

Category custom cabinets,ceramic tile,countertops,lighting,remodeling,home remodeling

06/03/2015

Bill K.

After 20+ years, it was time to update and remodel our kitchen. Over the course of many months and after talking with a dozen re-modeling companies, we decided to use J & F Specialties, Inc. The owner, John Boynton, was referred to us from a friend who had used his company for re-modeling work. John has been in the re-modeling business for many years. We scheduled an appointment with John to discuss our plans. From the start we were impressed with John, his knowledge, and ideas. The proposed project was to be a complete remodel of the kitchen, adjacent powder room, and additional work in the laundry room. Although we had created a plan for what we wanted to accomplish, John was very helpful in ?tweaking? our design and in referring us to preferred sources for countertops, flooring, tiles, etc. John even let us borrow sample cabinet doors so that we could decide what would complement the decor in our home. After a couple of meetings to finalize the plan, we signed a contract. John diligently worked with us to finalize the cost estimate to keep it within our budget. On the planned start date, the J & F Specialties Team arrived on time and John arrived shortly after to review everything that needed to be done. The first thing the workers did was seal off the kitchen from the other rooms to prevent dust and debris from getting outside the work area. Demolition can be messy but the workmen carefully removed the old kitchen piece by piece with minimal disruption and noise. The project was not without its challenges due to the way the original kitchen had been built. However, John and his team solved all the problems they encountered and did a perfect job of installing the new cabinets, countertops, appliances, light fixtures, backsplash tile, etc. The cabinets are not only very well made but are also an excellent value. We now have a beautiful kitchen, powder room and laundry room--all done with excellent workmanship. What really stands out with this company is how easy it was to work with everyone. John was always responsive and available via phone and email. He regularly came to our home to check on the work and answer any of our questions (and there were many.) The workmen were very polite, considerate of our home, and cleaned up the work area every day. John gets most of his work from referrals and we are happy to continue that tradition by referring his company to others who are in need of his services.

Description of Work
Complete kitchen and powder room remodel with additional work done in the laundry room.

Category remodeling

02/17/2015

Richard G.

Gutting and redoing the circa 1987 basement bathroom had long been on my mind. Replace the tub enclosure with a hotel-quality shower complete with cool tile and glass doors, new tile floors, new exhaust fan, new toilet, new vanity and sink, some new plumbing, new medicine cabinet, new paint job. Who wouldn't have some trepidation? So I took my time and researched and interviewed lots of local contractors, over the course of many, many months. I solicited and received written bids, the vast majority of which were opaque gibberish devoid of any meaningful numbers but a bottom-line price that appeared out of nowhere, sketchy arithmetical snake oil with scant (if any) justification or support. I kicked scads of tires before selecting J & F Specialties, Inc. It was a great decision. John Boynton and his team at J & F Specialties exceeded all my expectations. For the duration of the three-week project all of them were all courteous, professional, punctual, thorough, respectful of my home and property, accessible, and did all promised as and when promised. Some of them were even funny, and none were less than pleasant. I'm not easily impressed, and I'm nothing but impressed with J & F Specialties, from the high quality of their excellent work to the high quality of their excellent personnel. Boynton told me when we met that he wants to be my guy not for just this project, but for all my bath and kitchen projects. After the job he and his team did on my basement bath, John's my guy. He earned it.

Description of Work
Complete demolition and renovation of a small full basement bathroom.

Category custom cabinets,ceramic tile,countertops,flooring contractor,glass repair,plumbing,remodeling,ceiling fans,home remodeling,interior painters,doors,basement remodeling

01/12/2015

Anmy T.

John Boynton, the Owner, was the one who surveyed the work to be done and was involved throughout the process. His team coordinated the 5 different jobs. The teams came to perform all the work, cleaned up after each day of work and completed everything on time. The teams adjusted to my timelines,they were very flexible and professional. This J&F team gets an A+.

Description of Work
Replaced front door, frame and sidelights. Replaced rear door and frame. Installed an over the range microwave and vented it out. Installed kitchen backsplash. Fixed siding.

Category ceramic tile,electrician,handyman service,lighting,remodeling,siding,woodworking,home remodeling,doors

11/30/2014

Zack J.

We got estimates from 3 different companies before we contracted J & F Specialties to remodel our 2 1/2 bathrooms; the originals built with the house in 1967. Our initial consultation with John was by far the most informative and his entire approach the most sincere of the three contractors we interviewed. When we received all of the estimates to fully remodel our bathrooms, which included the complete demolition and rebuild of each bathroom, as well as the extension if the ½ bath to a full, J & F?s was the lowest of the group. We decided to hire J & F, not just because of their estimate, however, but because John seemed like someone with whom we would be able work. Having heard multiple horror stories from friends and colleagues about very bad experiences with their contractors, feeling like we would be able to communicate with the company we hired was critical. From the start of the project until the end, which took a total of 9 weeks, J & F handled the entire project professionally and efficiently. The workers who did the day-to-day work were very personable, professional, and responsible, making certain to clean up prior to leaving each day. John and those who were closely monitoring the project, Mark and Paul, were easy to work with and responsive to feedback and questions. They also were able to offer innovative suggestions regarding bathroom design. In the end, the project was completed on budget and within the estimated length of time John had predicted. We will definitely use J & F again for future projects and enthusiastically recommend them to anyone in need of a company to perform home remodeling.

Description of Work
Remodeling our 2 1/2 bathrooms. Including full renovations for each bathroom, including the conversion of the 1/2 bath to a full

Category remodeling,home remodeling

10/15/2014

Verena S.

On the evening of October 14, I received the following email from John: "I must offer my apologies as I have not been able to prepare an estimate for your porch. I have had a number of new commitments the past several days and have had to devote by time to that. Also with my new commitments I would have been unable to perform the work for you within any reasonable time frame. At this point I will be unable to prepare an estimate. Again my sincerest apologies that I was unable to help with this project." As a customer, I find this totally unacceptable. Had I known this, I would have contacted another contractor. This has cost me a delay of over a month. The only reason I contacted his company was based on Angie's List reviews. I understand that my project would have been under $20,000, and that may have been too small for his company, but I would have appreciated an honest answer up front. Apparently, the "new" commitments are more worthy of his time and trumped his previous promises. This is no way to do business, I'm very disappointed and frankly, insulted.

Description of Work
I contacted John the beginning of September to set up an appointment for an estimate to tear down and rebuild a porch in front of our house. He stopped by approximately two weeks later to look at the project and to provide me an estimate. I contacted him at the end of September to check on the estimate. On Oct 3, I received an email about there being a delay in providing an estimate because other clients committed to work. I again contacted him last week and told him I was still looking for my estimate and would like to have it by Oct 13, he said he'd try to get it to me. On Oct 10, a man stopped by the house, and wanted to take measurements. Unfortunately, he had limited English skills, but I finally found out that John must have sent him. We were on our way out of town and unaware that John was going to send someone. When John initially stopped by, he took measurements then. I thought he might have subcontracted the job and was hopeful to finally receive an estimate.

Category decks,remodeling

Again I must offer my apologies to this member. I am a small business and am only able to work with a small number of clients at a time. I had a number of clients that I had previously prepared estimates for contact me and commit to work. Those clients become the priority for my time and honestly it makes it very difficult to prepare new estimates in a timely manner. I make every effort to prepare estimates for those customers I meet with but sometimes am unable. It has nothing to do with the job size as we perform many projects that many would consider small. I apologize for delaying the client in finding a contractor but I thought it would be best to withdraw from bidding the project vs. providing a bid and not being able to do the project due to other commitments. Again we are small business that takes pride in our work and committing to more than we can produce would ultimately lead to work that would not meet my standards.