Michael & Son Charlottesville

With Angi since January 2015

4.1

We will sanitize the workspace and all areas touched
We offer estimates and quotes using video calling
We accept remote payment

Michael and Son is family owned and operated and has been servicing Virginia for over 30 years. We take great pride in providing our customers with the highest quality plumbing services. Our professional and courteous staff are here to help you with whatever projects you need to get done....

Robertson Electric

Maintenance, repair and installation of furnaces, air conditioners, heat pumps, electrical, plumbing including small renovations, water heater replacement, humidifiers, air cleaners, heating & cooling.

Gutter Helmet of Virginia by MR.FIX-IT

Welcome to MR. FIX-IT™! Since 1970, MR. FIX-IT™ has offered outstanding home services such as gutter protection by Gutter Helmet, bathroom restoration and remodeling (NuBath), room additions, kitchen remodeling and attic & basement finishing. We also offer exterior home services such as siding, windows, roofing and decks. We pride ourselves on delivering these excellent home services at an affordable rate and with great customer care. To this day, MR. FIX-IT™ remains family owned and operated. We are also proud to have earned an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau. We truly care about each job we do for our customers, and we treat their homes as if they were our own. We also offer outstanding handyman services for all types of jobs inside the home! For a home evaluation from a MR. FIX-IT™ professional, call us today! Additonal numbers: (804)393-9927, (540)322-1006, (800)816-9140.

Livengood Electrical LLC

Im Jake Livengood and I would like to take this opportunity to briefly introduce our company Livengood Electrical llc so that you may consider our company for your electrical needs. Livengood electrical llc is a New small business, electrical contractor based right outside of Charlottesville Virginia, while serving Charlottesville and surrounding countys. Our services include wiring for new construction, Add ons, Remodels, Custom Houses, Additions and trouble shooting. Our company is committed to maintain or exceed standards that are demanded by the best companies call with any questions or in need of a quote! 4348824816! Thanks!

07/06/2019

My mother died in 2016 and to honor her, we decided to keep her home and renovate it. We call it the Holy Ghost house, because she sends angels or messengers to the house to expose contractors with questionable, dishonest, and overall lack of integrity business practices. This has been a challenging process even if I hired well-known companies like Michael and Son. Michael and Son over has been paid ten thousand dollars for a tankless water heat and a re-piping. And I have made a big mistake. Below is a list of the issues I’ve had with Michael and Son Ruckersville VA location. First, they destroyed the new duct work underneath the house. It cost me over $1500 to repair. The damage was reported to me by another company. They reimburse me, because they got caught, not because they are a company with integrity. Second, I was told to by my bathroom and kitchen fixtures from Noland or Ferguson, which I did. The plumber didn’t tell me that I needed to buy a specific fixture for the shower control because brands are not interchangeable. Moen wouldn’t work with Delta. I not only brought the fixtures I wanted but brought the internal part which controlled the fixture. It was at the home before the plumber installed the internal wall unit. Now only way for me to get what l wanted was to rip out the walls. So, not only I’m stuck with fixtures I don’t want, because they don’t have the upgraded functionality I wanted. And I’m out of $115.00 restocking fee. Third, the plumber doesn’t appear to take pride in his work. The fixture he installed is not flushed. Forth, there’s a mess sitting in my front and backyard. I had to call to make sure they were going to pick it up, because I didn’t want to pay to have it removed. Fifth, the manager never called me back, when I wanted to discuss issues. I had to drive from Northern VA to the Ruckersville location to talk to him and to make sure he existed. Six, when I told the corporate customer service desk of my issues, they said a customer relation representative would call me, because they didn’t want me to feel this way about their company. I’m still waiting for that call or a voicemail to call someone back. Seven, I’m having issues with red clay and/or iron in my water. They told me that I had a well issue. So, I called a well company that happen to send me a master plumber. He noticed my new hot water tank condensation pipe was broken. He said, there should be a pipe with threads on it which should drain outside. No wonder my wall and floor are wet. They also turned off the filter to bypass to address my pressure and red water issue. I’m assuming all of the dirt is now flowing through my new hot water tank. Again, they broke something and didn’t bother to fix it. Eight, they failed the building inspection 3 times. Nine, the electrician discovered a water leak underneath the house. They said, they fixed it. Ten, new shower water temperature is either hot or cold. No warm Eleven, they didn’t honor the financing terms agreed upon. Michael and Son’s customer service said there was nothing they could do. The un-budgeted extra monthly payment is causing a financial burden. They are not finished with the work at my mom’s house; but when they are done, I will have another plumber to inspect their work, because I no longer trust them. I hope they will correct what they have broken and get the rest of the work done right.

Description of Work
entire house re-piping, connecting fixtures and install hot water tank

11/18/2018

Very well, kind ,informative, professional and efficient.

Description of Work
Ceiling light, outlet for a refrigerator, adding an outdoor outlet

Category electrician,lighting

10/05/2018

A little confusion in scheduling, but resolved quickly. Distance to job site was further than expected, but once there, work was performed promptly.

Description of Work
Installed breakers and additional outlets in garage.

Category electrician

09/26/2017

Excellent. The technicians showed up on time as promised, were very professional, inspected our system, found no problems, then pumped out the tank as we had requested. Price was a little high compared with other local providers we contacted, but perhaps it was worth it for such a hassle free appointment and service call.

Description of Work
Pump out and inspect our residential septic system

Category septic tank

Thank you for the great review [Member Name Removed], We are glad that you are happy - Please keep in touch with us -

02/14/2017

Let me open by saying the electrician was nice. He should go into business for himself and charge a reasonable rate for service. The payment structure for Michael and Sons is just absolutely ridiculous. I was told it was $29 to come out, and they would give me an estimate before doing any work. The technician arrived, began trouble shooting (about 15 minutes), then he came back with this quote: $29 service call, $201 for trouble shooting, (already done), and another $201 to replace a GFIC plug. For a total of $431... for a less than 30 minute visit. I paid the $230 - deed was done, but the other $201 for a GFI replacement? A $2.50 part that will take less than 5 minutes to install? That's just ridiculous. I won't hire them again.

Description of Work
Trouble shoot power outage.

Category electrician

please call us if we can help

01/19/2017

Unfortunately, the Michael & Son team has provided sub-standard service across a number of areas. Several but not all of these include: 1. waiting over 8 days for service, this was extended to 10 without warning or explanation when the initial appointment was cancelled by Michael & son without explantion. This at a time when the weather was well be low freezing and I had no heat in the house. 2. stating on there initial service invoice that the service call was an emergency and so outside the bounds of VA consuer protection laws when it was treated by Michael & Son as anything but an emergency - not fast, not outside normal hours, cancelled by them, etc. 3. required several more days with no communication to schedule the actual fix despite an immediate email reply selecting the service options suggested - perhaps this was because I did not select the most expensive, perhaps not interested, perhaps simply poor service. 4. the subsequent repair service was again cancelled by Michael & Son not once but twice again with no explanation but subsequently determined to be due to failure to place initial parts order as needed. 5. failure by service manager in ruckersville to provide anything like a courteous explanation - the man was civil, but arrogant, uncommunicative, bureaucratic, and failed to follow through on his statement that the service would be addressed. Never provided any follow-on explantion for the previous failure, never even apologized - all of this without heat in the run up to the holidays. 6. costs were excessive for the work quoted and performed and lacked all bu the most cursory breakdown. no explanation of how the initial problem developed and what could be done to prevent it from repeating. 7. essentially blamed me the customer for having a 2004 Buderus boiler that was only 87% efficient instead of a new 98% efficient boiler - this was stated as one of the reasons for the serice failures delineated above. 8. made us feel captive through their repeated service failures - we are overseas on U.S. Government assignment - and had no recourse without substantial further delays from any other service provider. It appears that our technician performed skilled work once it finally occurred and given my personal absence I cannot say that he bears personal responsibility for Michael & Son's corporate failures. We feel let down and fully dis-satisfied by the repeated failures of Michael & Son - the company did not exceed expectations, they did not even meet expectations, instead they failed them repeatedly. Truly disappointing in every way.

Description of Work
Diagnose and repair hydronic boiler that would not ignite.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

[Member Information Removed]We[Member Information Removed] are[Member Information Removed] sorry[Member Information Removed]

10/05/2016

It didn't happen. The women who took the appointment shouldn't have made it. She made it for a quote but we already had the quote and never asked for a quote. A manager was supposed to call weeks ago to talk to us about this problem but they have never called.

Description of Work
We called to make an appointment to repipe the house on their recommendation. They were supposed to come on a Saturday. We called the only number we were given to make the appointment. We asked several times if the plumbers would be coming on a Saturday to repiped. We were assured that it would happen.

08/24/2016

Our propane hot water heater went kaput after a brief vacation. It's time was due and we were planning to replace it anyway. Not having as much time to research local plumbers as I would have liked but knowing what we needed and the challenges of the installation, I recalled Michael & Son were located nearby. Called on a Sunday afternoon and by Monday night it was all taken care of at a reasonable price. Ronnie L. was very courteous and professional and did a terrific job. Hats off and Ronnie and Michael and Son.

Description of Work
PROPANE HOT WATER HEATER REPLACEMENT

Category plumbing,water heater repair

02/03/2016

I just wanted to let everyone know how impressed I am with all of the Michael and Son technicians with whom I have had the pleasure of working for the last couple of months while we have been making improvements to our newly purchased home in Fishersville, Virginia. Kevin and Nate (from Richmond)--the technicians who performed the encapsulation of the crawlspace. What awesome attitudes! Such a pleasure to meet professional, intelligent young men who take their job seriously and wish for the customer's 100% satisfaction. Robert Rhoades--Replaced well pump and tank. Excellent, knowledgeable, and kind. Ricky Keyton--Assessed the plumbing needs of the house and barn and replaced whole house filter. Super nice, knowledgeable and helpful. Joey and Derek--Electricians who replaced fire/CO2 alarms. Super nice, knowledgeable, sweet! Brian--the HVAC guy. Very knowledgeable, helpful! Allen--the HVAC cleaner from Harrisonburg. Super guy. Hard worker! If one is going to spend the kind of money we did (+ or - $12K), it certainly helps to have the technicians be so friendly and willing to serve the customer's needs. It takes an informed employer to find workers like Nate, Kevin, Robert, Ricky, Joey, Derek, Brian, and Allen. Congratulations! Michael and Son has exceeded my expectations--again! You have a customer for life!

Description of Work
new well pump and tank (same day!) Electrician work Plumbing HVAC inspect and clean

Category electrician,heating & air conditioning/hvac,plumbing

02/02/2016

Unfortunately our experience with this company was not positive at all. We noticed some wet stains on our basement ceiling and called this company. I made sure over the phone that their technicians had cameras as I had read online that the water could be from a number of sources such as condensation or roofing problems and not necessarily a plumbing issue. I was assured over the phone that the technician did have a camera and that the inspection would cost no more than $29. He arrived half an hour earlier than we were told without calling, and without a camera! As soon as he saw the ceiling, he said there was a pipe leaking and he could tell that from experience, because we had Quest pipes and the whole house needed to be re-piped (for that, he quoted us a 'discounted' price of $18000.00!) I asked if there might be other reasons for the wet spots and how he could be so sure without first using a camera to look at the pipes. He first said he had no cameras and then said he did have a camera but would charge $364 to use it! He kept insisting that the problem was the pipes and he must cut the sheet rock to replace them. I told him there was no way I would let him cut the ceiling unless I saw water coming out of the pipes in his camera, as agreed with their customer service. A camera inspection was the whole reason we agreed for the company to come. Luckily I had recorded the tel conversation with their customer service about the camera and had to play it for him so he would believe me! As it turned out, the issue was not plumbing at all and water from all the recent snow had found its way under the ceiling. The wet stains disappeared after a few days, and as for the whole house re-pipe, another company with much higher customer ranking (Fluvanna Plumbing) quoted me $7700 including replacing the whole shower! The only reason for not giving them an F rating is because at least their technician had the decency to not charge us the usual $29 after listening to the recorded conversation about the camera.

Description of Work
Provided a quote

Category plumbing

Electrical - ceiling and exhaust fan, panel changes, frunaces, heat pumps, boilers, plumbing, drain and sewer cleaning, toilets, disposals, water heater, hydro jetting, generator, home inspection & heating & A/C.

Check, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Financing Available