Helping Hands Affordable Vet Surg and Dental Care

Founded 2009 • With Angi since September 2010

1605 Rhoadmiller Street

Richmond, VA 23220

PROVIDING HIGH QUALITY, AFFORDABLEVETERINARY SURGERY AND DENTAL CARE TO OUR COMMUNITY! Our “Bare Bones” fees are fixed, all inclusive and posted here on our website. NO SURPRISE FEES! PREVENTING ECONOMIC EUTHANASIA We keep our costs low by limiting what we do to only surgery and dental care, cutting out office consultation time and fees, and providing our services outpatient because we believe parents make great nurses .Why do we do it? Because we believe in what we do, we love the animals and simply put...We can and we will!...

07/23/2020

Nijea R.

THE FACILITY AND THE SURGERY WAS TOP RATE. BECAUSE OF THIS, I WILL GO AGAIN IF NEED BE. THE PROFESSIONALISM SUCKED. IT WAS THE WORSE AND MADE MY EXPERIENCE TRAUMATIC. THE MANAGER (DRIVING A WHITE) CAR WAS VERY UNPROFESSIONAL (SHE WOULD NOT PROVIDE HER NAME). SHE IS VERY TEXT BOOK AND WAS NOT PERSONABLE AT ALL. I CAME TO THEM BECAUSE THIS IS THEIR PROFESSION AND LEFT FEELING LIKE SOMEONE NEEDS A CLASS ON CUSTOMER SERVICE. MY DOG ARRIVED. I EXPLAINED HIS VET ANXIETY TWO DAYS PRIOR. IF YOU JUST RUSH HIM TO TAKE BLOOD AND STUFF HE GETS IRRITATED. I EXPLAINED THAT YOU HAVE TO WARM HIM UP...WELL NEEDLESS TO SAY, THEY JUST RUSHED HIM AND HE TRIED TO...AS THEY SAY...BITE AND THEY COULD NOT GET HIS BLOOD. ONE HE DOES NOT BITE HE JUST SAYING LEAVE HIM ALONE CAUSE HE WAS IN PAIN. THEY BRING HIM OUT AND THEIR FIRST SUGGESTION IS TO LEAVE AND THEY WOULD REFUND MY MONEY. NOW THAT WAS NOT AN OPTION FOR ME BECAUSE I HAD DRIVEN FROM MARYLAND (2 HOURS). THEN THEY SAY THEY CAN ONLY DO IT WITH A MUZZLE ON...SO I SPEND THE NEXT HOUR TRYING TO GET IT ON HIM (HE SNAPPING AT ME TOO) BECAUSE HE DOES NOT KNOW WHAT A MUZZLE IS. AFTER I GET IT ON, WHILE THEY ARE WALKING HIM IN THE DOOR, THE MANAGER (WHITE TOYOTA TWO DOOR I BELIEVE) IS ASKING ME IF THEY ARE TO CONTINUE...I KEEP WALKING AND THEN SHE SAYS AS MY DOG IS GOING IN THE DOOR TO THE FACILITY THAT THEY NEED AN ANSWER. MY RESPONSE WAS DON'T YOU HAVE HIM IN YOUR CUSTODY...SHE THEN WENT IN SIDE...THAT WAS JUST DUMB. I DIDN'T FIGHT WITH HIM FOR ONE HOUR TO TURN BACK. I WAS ALSO TOLD THAT THEY WOULD ASSIST WITH ME GETTING HIM IN THE TRUCK AFTER THE SURGERY...WELL THAT NEVER HAPPENED. THE SAME MANAGER, AS SHE IS BRINGING HIM TO THE TRUCK STATES THAT FOR THEIR SAFETY THEY CANNOT ASSIST ME. THEY REMOVED THE MUZZLE. NOW IN MY HEAD, WHY SINCE YOU SEEM TO BE SCARED OF HIM. FOR FORTY FIVE MINUTES, THE MANAGER STOOD THEIR WATCHING ME TRY TO GET HIM IN THE TRUCK. MY DOG IS TERRIFIED. HE HAS A CONE ON HIS HEAD, COMING OUT OF SEDATION AND HIS LEG IN THE AIR. HE IS TRYING TO GET LOOSE AND IN TURN HIT THE GROUND RUBBING HIS INCISION IN MULCH AND ON THE GROUND. THE WOUND BEGINS TO BLEED AND HIS LEG SWELLS. SHE SAYS BECAUSE HIS PRESSURE IS UP. BY THIS TIME I AM CRYING. 45MINS LATER TWO NURSES, WHO I WOULD LOVE TO BLESS, OFFERED A SUGGESTION. I TOLD HER THAT IS ALL I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR CAUSE I AM NOT TRAINED FOR THIS. BOTH OF THEM ARE NAMED SHANNON. THEY GAVE ME THE GAME PLAN AND WITHIN 10 SECONDS HE WAS IN THE TRUCK. I JUST WANTED TO HUG THEM. WHAT I REALIZED IS THAT BECAUSE HE IS A PITBULL, THE MANAGER WAS SCARED. SHE DOESN'T NEED TO BE IN THE PROFESSION THEN. THE OTHER TWO NURSES WERE NOT AND GOT ME OUT OF THERE AND ON THE ROAD ASAP. I DID NOT GET HOME UNTIL AFTER MIDNIGHT AND HE WAS BREATHING HEAVY THE WHOLE RIDE. THEY CLAIM THEY TAKE PRECAUTIONS FOR STROKE AND OTHER ISSUES DURING THE SURGERY. WELL THE MANAGER WAS NOT CONCERNED AT ALL. MY SON (DOG) WAS SO UPSET AND SCARED. MY TRUCK HAD BLOOD ALL OVER THE BACK SEAT BECAUSE HIS INCISION DID NOT STOP BLEEDING. I CONTACTED HIS VET THE NEXT DAY (CALLED HER ALL DAY DURING THE EVENT) AND SHE APOLOGIZED AGAIN FOR RECOMMENDING THEM. SHE CHECKED HIM AND JUST TOLD ME TO LET HIM REST AND THAT THE AREA WHERE HIS STITCHES CAME OUT WOULD JUST HEAL ON ITS OWN. TODAY TWO WEEKS LATER, HE IS FINE, HIS INCISION IS HEALED AND HE IS WALKING ON IT. AS I STATED, THE SERVICE AND PROCEDURE WAS NOT THE ISSUE, IT WAS THE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND THE KNOWLEDGE AND INSTRUCTIONS OF THE NURSING STAFF MANAGER AND WHO EVER ANSWERS THEIR PHONE. I HAVE CALLED TWO ATTORNEYS ABOUT THIS SITUATION AND AM WAITING TO HEAR BACK. THAT MANAGER (WHITE CAR) WHO SIGNS PEOPLE IN, IS ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE AND NEEDS MORE TRAINING ON DEALING WITH PEOPLE. THERE WAS ANOTHER NOT SATISFIED WITH HER ON THE SAME DAY BUT IT WAS NOTHING LIKE MY SITUATIONS. I WISH I COULD ATLEAST TREAT THE TWO SHANNONS TO LUNCH OR SOMETHING TO SAY HOW MUCH I TRULY APPRECIATED THEIR ASSISTANCE. JOB WELL DONE!

Description of Work
CRUCIATE LIGAMENT REPLACED (ACL)

06/29/2016

Rhonda K.

I have taken my 2 Yorkies, ages 12 & 8, to Helping Hands for dental care twice after getting estimates of up to $2000 at regular vet offices. I was a bit apprehensive at first since one of my Yorkies had to revisit a vet 3 times after having dental care in another state due to a slow recovery from anesthesia. I reported this to the staff at Helping Hands and both times he recovered without any difficulty! My other Yorkie did not have any problems either. I am extremely appreciative of being able to get stellar dental care for two dogs at the fixed price of $450. I will be taking them back for their yearly cleaning next summer.

Description of Work
Teeth cleaning and extractions for 2 dogs

04/21/2016

Donna P.

Pickles, our 70-lb, 11 yo Akita mix had a benign cyst on her bum that needed to be removed because of its problematic location, not because it was bothering her. We decided to have her teeth cleaned while she was under anesthesia. Everyone we encountered was friendly, thorough with explanations and professional. The whole team seems really dedicated to and concerned about the excellent care of other people's pets. We live right around the corner, but I was impressed by the client lounge and the considerations for out-of-towners who are already worried about their fluffy family member. Things to do while waiting (magazines, TV, toy table, coffee station, snacks), and information about Richmond activities and lodging options. What we weren't expecting was that two of Pickles' canines were removed. We learned afterwards that this had to be done because they were already fractured and could cause an unpleasant complication later. I do not doubt the decision of the vet in the least, and I'm sure it was in the fine print. Pickles was more surprised by having a funny-feeling mouth than by the stitches by the base of her tail. She didn't kiss us for a while! The pickup timeframe was the most challenging. It seems like everyone is summoned for release at the same time so there is a wait while pets are retrieved (in what order, I know not). But fortunately, they do not rush through the review discharge instructions. Pickles was not able to hoist herself into the truck so I had to summon the office staff for assistance with lifting a floppy, heavy dog and they were cheerfully helpful with this request. I can't think of a circumstance under which we would not go back to Dr. Pasternak's practice and have recommended the company to several people already. Their mission of keeping surgical costs lower really makes a BIG difference in healthy pet care. Its excruciating to have to delay or eliminate surgery for your loved one because you can't afford it, and now there is a solution for the entire family with Helping Hands!

Description of Work
Removed a cyst and cleaned teeth

03/18/2016

Carlos R.

Dr. Lori Pasternak and all of her staff are the blessed angels of the pet world. The compassion and care they gave my Jayda, (a six year old black lab with a CCL tear) was almost as much love as I give her. I recommend them to everyone I meet. I drove six hours from New York to their office and it was worth every minute. You and your pet will never regret dealing with Helping Hands.... Jayda went in for CCL (ACL in humans) repair. From the first phone call to the day of visit, and the follow up visits they were wonderful. Everything was covered by the initial fee. Discharge instructions were clear and medication (antibiotics and pain meds) were both included.

Description of Work
CCL Repair Surgery

12/19/2015

Andrea S.

I LOVE HELPING HANDS!!!! They are amazing. I drove down from Northern Virginia the morning of my dogs' procedures. I arrived just before 8:00 AM. As I walked in the door with my two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, a staff member greeted me and said, "the Cavaliers!". We were immediately shown to a private room for the intake process. As I filled out paperwork, the staff person took my dogs back to the surgery area. She was very sweet with them as they were a little nervous. After I filled out my paperwork, the front desk staff made sure I had filled everything out correctly (I hadn't!) and was very patient with me as I provided the necessary information. After all the paperwork was done, I left. They told me that they'd call me to update me when the dogs were ready but that I had to be back no later than 4:00. After going to breakfast and getting a manicure/pedicure, I received a call at 11:30 from the staff telling me the dogs were out of surgery, doing well and would be ready to go home by 1:00. I did some shopping and headed back to Helping Hands. I arrived a little early and the dogs needed 20 minutes more to be ready to leave. I spent the next 20 minutes in the comfortable client lounge reading a People magazine. Even though I didn't partake, they had complimentary sodas, wifi and two big TVs too! Right at 1:00, my dogs were ready to go. My dogs were brought to me in another private room. The staff person went over all the post-procedure instructions and provided me with pain meds for both dogs and an anti-biotic for one of them. I had also purchased an e-collar ahead of time and they gave me that as well. We left around 1:30 and my boys slept all the way home. We were home by 3:30 PM. The next day I received a call from Helping Hands to make sure the dogs were ok. I called back with a question and they quickly got me the answer I needed. The most incredible part of Helping Hands is the pricing, obviously! If I had two dentals and a neuter done in Northern Virginia, it could've easily cost me $1,500. It was worth the drive to Richmond to save $1,000! I can't recommend Helping Hands enough. They offer a much-needed service for dog lovers, especially those of us with multiple dogs!

Description of Work
Two of my dogs had their teeth cleaned. One of my dogs was neutered.

11/11/2015

Teresa B.

I tried to call and get answers for questions. She did not really answer my questions. Her responses were awful. I called and the first person I spoke with was Meg. I asked if my dog could have surgery there. She stated that she could fax or email. I would describe her as someone as manipulative. She was very poor with communicating about what her clinic does. She needs to be understanding and answer the questions and know how to work with people. I was just trying to find information about her clinic. I called back and spoke with Susan. Susan already has an attitude and she transferred it to Elaina and that did not go well either. I am tired of this type of poor communication and lack of professionalism. The experience with the receptionist was just awful and if the first experience does not go well it represents the whole company.

Description of Work
Veterinary

09/01/2015

neale F.

I took my 15 year old cat in to have his teeth cleaned (with 2 extractions). I'm sure they did a good job. However, when I got there to pick him up, they told me that I had to give him oral liquid antibiotics for over a week. They do not give antibiotic shots. I have never been able to give pills or anything to my cat so I was a little upset. I would have had to go to another vet to get the shot. I decided to do it myself. For the first few days he was fine and eating more than usual. But a week later he became extremely ill. I don't know if not enough of the antibiotics got into him or what. My cat is old and frail, but Helping Hands did bloodwork beforehand so I thought that he would be alright. I have now taken him to my regular vet and have another bill of $300.00 for more antibiotics and an IV drip for rehydration. I'm actually afraid that my cat might die. I know Helping Hands provides a good service, but don't go if you have an old frail cat or if you can't administer oral pills or fluids.

Description of Work
I took my 15 year old cat in to have his teeth cleaned (with 2 extractions).

07/05/2015

Dawn C.

Checked in at 8.00 am. Paid for service upfront. All prices printed on line for surgeries and dental cleaning. Cleanings include tooth extractions and after care medicines if needed. They removed 22 teeth and there was little or no swelling. Picked up my dog at 2.30 pm. Went over after care instructions with me. Medicines for pain were given plus antibiotics. Phone number for emergency contacts if needed were given to me. They called to check on my dog the next day. My dog had little bleeding or swelling and had bounced back to herself the night of the surgery I recommend this practice. One set price and great professional service and care. My vet charged me 750.00 for cleaning my other dogs teeth. He had lots of swelling from extractions and was not given an antibiotic until another office visit from an infection. Helpinghands is a pet owners dream come true!

Description of Work
Cleaned my 10 year old minature Dachshund teeth.

06/30/2015

Kristina W.

The staff and care is first rate, though the prices are definitely a bargain! I traveled 2 hours to visit Helping Hands and was not disappointed at all. Both my dogs had their teeth cleaned and each had one tooth removed, which in my area would have cost well over $600 a piece. The clinic is run like a well oiled machine, but definitely not without a caring staff who made each person feel as if their animal was the only one being seen. I had come on the recommendation of a friend and have already referred many of my friends to them. Located in a nice part of Richmond, you could definitely find something to do as you wait to pick up you pet. So fortunate to have found out about this place, I will definitely be back!

Description of Work
Dental cleanings and 1 tooth each pulled on 2 dogs.

06/04/2015

Tammy R.

Our cat needed a total colectomy which was cost prohibitive by local surgical veterinarians (estimate $2800 + 5 days in boarding charges / @ $200/day). Helping Hands provided the surgery out patient. Not only did our cat do great, he was cared for in our home which I feel made his recovery quicker. They were prompt, professional, and very responsive to all of our concerns. The surgery was six months ago and our cat is doing wonderfully.

Description of Work
Helping Hands performed a total colectomy for our cat.

05/01/2015

jodi G.

the office is incredibly efficient from drop off to pick up. they called me the day before to remind me of the pre-surgery rules. i dropped my dog off in the morning to an office that was expecting him. someone immediately came from the desk to take him back and get me started on the paperwork. they had me pay up front, and asked if i wanted to have the blood work done, but also explained it wasn't required as he is under 10 years old. i then picked him up in the afternoon. they immediately showed me to a side room to go over the post surgery instructions, gave me his pain medication and anti-biotics (which are part of the initial pricing). they had to pull many of his teeth (perils of a small dog) and gave me a diagram of his mouth showing the pulled and remaining teeth. part of me wondered if too many came out, but there is zero incentive for them to take unnecessary teeth as they don't charge extra for extractions. the upfront cost of 175, which is listed on their website, covers all extractions and post surgery medications. they then called a day or so later to check on the status of my dog. their tag line is preventing economic euthanasia and they live it. knowing what i do now about their prices and quality, i'll definately use them more in the future to keep my munchkin from loosing any additional teeth.

Description of Work
dental cleaning on a dog

05/01/2015

Gary L.

It went very well. I was pleased with the outcome and the price was reasonable.

Description of Work
cleaned teeth and did several extractions.

04/03/2015

Clare V.

My cat was so ill that the Veterinary hospital near me said he either had to have the PU surgery or he had to be put down - IMMEDIATELY. I was quoted a price of $1800 - $2700. This was impossible for me, as I had already spent WELL over $1,000 trying to get him better. I had no recourse but to let him go, until someone quietly told me about HELPING HANDS in Richmond. I called them right away that morning, and they quoted a price of $800! They squeezed us in at the last minute because of the urgency. I got there at 12:45pm, and we were both out by 4:15pm . It cost me $900 in the end, but a far cry from the the $1800-2700 . I was very happy. This is an in-and-out the same day hospital, NO after care, no frills. BUT they make sure your 'baby' is over the anesthesia, his vitals are stable, and you have very detailed instructions for his post care. You must follow the post care instructions exactly. This was a 2 hr drive each way for him and me. I didn't want to put either of us through that long car ride, but I'm so very glad I did. This was a wonderful experience, and it saved my little guy's life. He is now doing very well. The staff was wonderful and very caring and considerate. I cannot thank them enough for saving my little guy.

Description of Work
PU (Perineal Urethrostomy) surgery on my cat. life-saving emergency surgery

04/02/2015

Laurie G.

Helping Hands is AWESOME! Literally dozens of cats and several dogs from our rescue have gone to Helping Hands over the last five years or so for treatment. This includes dentals (ranging from cleanings to full mouth extractions), amputations, wound treatment, feeding tubes, urinary surgery, tumor removal/cancer surgery and more. Many of these pets are special needs that require extra careful handing, such as Feline Leukemia (FELV) positive cats. Some appointments were scheduled while other pets needed emergency treatment. Dr. Pasternak and the entire staff will do whatever is possible to help your animal. Everything is top notch. Everyone is super friendly and helpful. The pricing is great as well. Not only that, there are NO surprises in the bill since the pricing already includes the treatment, any needed medications, etc. Not only our rescue, but many rescues use this clinic to save animals that otherwise could not be saved for economic reasons. Let me give you a specific example. We had a late night emergency call for a cat that some vicious men had thrown off a building a couple days before. Severely wounded, with a horrible maggot infestation, we rushed "Blue" to the ER where they wanted over $2500 to start treatment -- just for the first day's care. That was flat out impossible. When called in desperation, Helping Hands instantly agreed to treat Blue in the morning. We paid the ER $400 to stabilize the cat and clean the worst of the maggots out, then Blue was taken to Helping Hands. For under $300, they amputated his severely broken and maggot-eaten-to-bone tail, sewed up the gashes, provided necessary pain and antibiotic medications, AND neutered Blue (as I recall, that was thrown in for free) . That is what I call incredible compassion and dedication to saving animals who would otherwise have died. That level of commitment and caring is standard at Helping Hands. So, if your pet needs surgery or dental care, don't hesitate - call Helping Hands!

Description of Work
Provided dental cleanings/extractions, and medications for SIX cats.

04/02/2015

Kelly P.

I have 3 special needs pets, all of whom have been adopted. My oldest pet, Brittany, is a 14-year old Maltese. She had never had a dental cleaning in her life. I consistently brushed her teeth, provided chew toys and dental cleaning treats, and did everything that I could to stave off the eventual tooth decay, bad breath, and rotting teeth. I live in Northern Virginia, and dentals are definitely not cheap. I had an estimate from my Vet of 13 years that ranged from $1,500.00 to more than $2,000.00. Having no way to afford that price, Brittany never had a dental performed. That is, until I asked my dog's Groomer if she had any recommendations. She immediately pulled out a card and a brochure for Helping Hands. I was shocked at the price of a dental, only $175.00 no matter how bad the teeth were, no matter what needed to be done in her mouth, and no matter what meds she might need after the procedure was completed. Being an older dog, Helping Hands did required that blood work be performed prior to the dental procedure, but even that was only $50.00. What was nice was that Helping Hands has a price list on their web site, so you know exactly what you will pay before you walk through the door. They only do surgeries and dentals, which is what keeps their costs down. The building is located in Richmond, VA, which was over an hour away, but I knew Brittany needed this. I did have to wait about a month to get in, but that was just fine with me. I took the day off from work and drove Brittany down early in the morning, They opened right at 7:30 AM, and I was the first one through the door. I have to say that every staff member that I encountered was friendly, attentive, and knew exactly why I was there. They answered all of my questions, reassured me that Brittany would be OK, and recommended several different places nearby where I could go to wait. I was told that I should expect a call later in the afternoon, by 4:00 PM at the latest, but I was called around noon time and told that she "did great" and was "ready to be picked up." Once again, when I picked her up, the staff was comforting, reassuring, and attentive to both myself and to my dog. I never felt rushed, and the doctor went over exactly what was done during the procedure. She went over post-op instructions and medication information with me, and didn't let me leave until I felt sure that I knew what to do to help Brittany during her recovery. Helping Hands had their hands full with Brittany's horrible teeth, and she only had 4 left by the time she left, but now her mouth was once again healthy. Staff members called me that evening and the following day to check on Brittany, which was a wonderful surprise. They have numerous people in and out of their office every day, and yet they take the time with their animal patients and their human clients to make a difference. The price I was quoted was exactly what I paid, nothing more and nothing less. Brittany recovered very quickly, and is now bouncier than ever. My Vet said that the dental work completed on Brittany was excellent, and I trust my Vet completely. I cannot begin to describe how much the care, compassion, time, attention, and overall quality of service that I received from Helping Hands meant to me. I would recommend this business to anyone in need of dental cleanings and/or surgeries for their beloved pets. I will be returning for dental cleanings in the future for Brittany, as well as for my 2 cats.

Description of Work
Doggie Dental

03/08/2015

Deborah M.

I was very impressed with Helping Hands Vet and Dr. Lori Pasternak. Everything is very professional and handled like clockwork. The doctor only does certain surgical procedures and dental work and that's how they can keep the costs manageable. They list all of the procedures and costs on their website and there are no hidden fees. Yes, we had one of the "less expensive" procedures but it would have cost at least 2-3 times more with my usual vet. And, I would assume that is the case for the other procedures as well. Intake of the patients is no later than 8:30 am in the morning so you do have to leave DC relatively early to get down there, but it is more than worth it. A vet tech meets with you and reviews what will be done. They will then call you when the animal is ready. The office is located in a very nice part of Richmond with shops, restaurants and a museum. They even have brochures in the office so you can do some sightseeing while you are waiting. We dropped the cat off at 8:00 am, went and had breakfast, and before we knew it the office was on the phone around 11:00 am to say that the cat was ready to go. We waited for about 10 minutes to see the doctor who came into the waiting room, explained what she had done and the follow-up/medication. The vet even called the next day to check in on the patient. This was not a difficult procedure so I am sure that ours was a shorter stay than those that have animals that need more serious procedures. We were back in northern VA by 2:00 pm. A terrific experience!

Description of Work
My cat who is 14 years old needed to have his teeth cleaned and also to have a small lump removed. The cost of teeth cleaning where the animal is sedated was approximately $200 plus which is a far cry from the $800 plus that it costs with my regular vet. It was more than cost effective to drive to Richmond about 1.5 hours a way. The lump was removed and sent to have a biopsy which cost about $125 for a small mass.

01/22/2015

Mitch H.

We adopted this dog and found out she had a damaged-beyond-repair leg. We opted for the surgery and she is in good spirits now. We went to this facility because the vets in our area wanted to charge a lot more, and this place was a lot cheaper. We will be returning here for anything now, even teeth cleaning, despite the fact it's a 4 hour round trip for us.

Description of Work
We went to see them to see if we should have surgery done on our dog. Our dog was 6 mos old at the time and a Terrier mix.

11/09/2014

Lorelle B.

My cat is 17 years old. He was pawing at his mouth so I knew from previous experience his teeth were bothering him. Last year at our local vet it cost around $700 for me to have his teeth cleaned. Blood work alone was $200. I knew what his problem was but couldn't afford to help him here in Manassas. I found Helping Hands online and read many positive reviews. I emailed them as instructed on their website and was called and given an appointment for the next week. I wasn't thrilled about the hour and a half drive there, but it was so worth it. They were very professional and kind. There were brochures in the office as to different things to do around town while I waited. They tell you to prepare to pick up your pet by 4:00 at the latest. I went and toured St. John's church while I waited. It was interesting to see the church where Patrick Henry delivered his famous speech in favor of American independence. They then called at about 10:30 and I picked my cat up at 11:00. Richmond is so full of interesting places to see and good things to eat I was almost sad to be done so soon. We were given antibiotics and they even called the next morning to see how my cat was doing. It is a relief to know he is not in pain anymore and I didn't have to break the bank to get him help. I am really grateful to Helping Hands for their services and will most definitely be returning there for any of my pets' dental needs. Thank you Helping Hands!

Description of Work
They did blood work to determine proper anesthesia. They also cleaned my cat's teeth.

10/02/2014

Carolyn S.

They were so good and very caring. They (dogs) are doing good right now. They were prompt and done quickly. They called and checked on them to see how they were doing. My vet was going to charge $2000.00 or more for the same surgery plus meds and cones. Helping Hands was a total $580.00 for the surgery, cones, and meds. Thank God they are there, I am on disability and could not have help my dogs if not for these great people. I love these people and would recommend these people to everyone.

Description of Work
They removed cancer tumors from my 2 German Shepherds.

08/12/2014

Amy M.

Don't be afraid to bring your pet here for surgery! They are top notch. I was hesitant to have my dog go under anesthesia for dental work, especially when I didn't know the vet. However, I was pleasantly surprised at the whole experience and wouldn't hesitate to bring my dog back again if needed. I'll be telling my friends about Helping Hands!

Description of Work
Affordable dental care!

08/12/2014

Sandra I.

It went wonderfully! My little Kira was in pain constantly getting UTIs and peeing in all the wrong places. While she would snuggle with me and purr, she would hide from everyone else as if they were going to hurt her. When I realized she was using her littler box AND my bed, my new couch, my carpets etc. I began the long road to many visits to vets to help her. She was on pain meds, anti-inflammatory meds to help with swelling and of course antibiotics. Finally I saved enough for an ultrasound which discovered the stones in her bladder. Change of food to RX food did not help. She needed surgery! I am disabled myself and live on a very small income with no savings, so I feared I would have to put my baby down.....surgery was quoted to me at over $1200.00, and that was the lowest! Depending on the number of stones they discovered, the price went up and we had no way of knowing how many she actually had! My vet suggested I contact Helping Hands in Richmond. I did, and they immediately set up an appointment for the next week....only days away! They quoted me a price under $700 which included the surgery, follow up medications and testing the stones removed to determine type. The additional few dollars were for complete blood work and the cone of shame, both which are optional there. When I arrived at HH, they were so kind and caring! Although quite busy, they were efficient and quick! They took my baby in, suggested things in the area for me to do and instructed me to,pick up Kira by 4. I left feeling such relief! I picked up a very sleepy kitty later that day. I watched for any unusual signs and was not surprised to see blood in the urine for days...because they had TOLD me that would happen. Thank you....because I would have panicked had I not known! They called me the following day AND a week later to check up on my kitty. Now that is caring for your patient!! Today, Kira is a new cat! She is running and playing and purring and even coming out to greet people! I have to admit she is not fond of her new diet, but has not lost more than 2 oz. ( which she needed anyway!) my carpets, furniture, bed and everyplace remains clean now! Kira uses ONLY her litter box and I could not be happier! Every night when Kira and I snuggle down for the night, I thank God for Dr. Lori and Helping Hands! Without them, I certainly would not have my precious Kira by my side now! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all you have done for me, Kira and everyone else! You all ROCK!

Description of Work
Dr. Lori perform surgery to remove oxalate calcium crystals from my precious little Siamese mix baby.

06/04/2014

Mary T.

They were loving to my poor, scared dog, performed the operation with no negative repercussions. He healed well. I appreciate that they care about the pets and providing affordable service. One way they cut costs, by not providing overnight care but only providing the services outpatient, is preferable to me anyway. My dog needed to be in the comfort of a familiar surrounding, not in a cold, sterile, strange place.

Description of Work
My dog needed a splenectomy right away. They were able to get him in and perform the operation promptly.

05/06/2014

Arina K.

They were great!! Every efficient, I had heard good things from others and decided to call them. We showed up for our appointment on time, they took my dog back quickly and told us when to return. They have a very smooth operation. I didn't realize it wasn't like a typical vet office where you meet the vet in advance but that was ok because we had traveled over 2 hours to their office because of their reputation and price. It was cheaper for me to drive from Maryland, and stay overnight to get the procedure done than it would have been if I had done it at my local vet office! They are upfront about the cost of procedures and clearly state what is or isn't included. I appreciate the honest, transparent pricing, efficiency and good quality! They also have a fund set aside for people who can't afford treatments for their animals and ask for donated time in return! What a terrific organization. Ohh and they worked out a deal with the local Comfort Inn to give discounts to out of towners bringing their animals for appointments-I'm very impressed and have recommend them to others and would go back should I need to.

Description of Work
Dog had to be put under and dental work performed.

03/06/2014

Kathleen C.

We dropped off our 2 cats about 8:15AM and they were promptly checked in, paperwork completed and payment made. We were told that they would call us when procedure was completed and let us know when they would be ready to picked up. All pets must be picked up by 4PM. At 10:55am I received a voice mail message that the kitties did great and would be ready to be picked up after 11am! I was thrilled that they were already to come home so early. When I picked them up about 11:30, they were awake and ready to go home! We had a 2 1/2 hour drive back home and they were quiet the entire way. One kitty had 2 extractions, the other had none. They were anxious to eat dinner and showed no signs of discomfort at all. We went home with detailed instructions of what to look for and what to do and a diagram of which teeth were extracted and which teeth were already missing prior to the procedure. The next day, Helping Hands called to check to see how the kitties were doing.

Description of Work
Dental for our two cats

Category veterinarian, pet grooming

01/23/2014

Rafeek E.

The service was timely and they called to check on how the dogs were feeling, more than once. They provide you with brochures of the area in case you are waiting for your dog and don't live in the area.

Description of Work
I had both my dogs teeth cleaned.

Veterinarians
    Animal Grooming
    Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Financing Available

Wellness Care - Shots, Exams.

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers about Helping Hands Affordable Vet Surg and Dental Care

How is Helping Hands Affordable Vet Surg and Dental Care overall rated?

Helping Hands Affordable Vet Surg and Dental Care is currently rated 4.9 overall out of 5.

What days are Helping Hands Affordable Vet Surg and Dental Care open?

Helping Hands Affordable Vet Surg and Dental Care is open:

What payment options does Helping Hands Affordable Vet Surg and Dental Care provide

Helping Hands Affordable Vet Surg and Dental Care accepts the following forms of payment: Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Financing Available

Does Helping Hands Affordable Vet Surg and Dental Care offer free estimates?

Ask Helping Hands Affordable Vet Surg and Dental Care for details on free project estimates.

Does Helping Hands Affordable Vet Surg and Dental Care offer eco-friendly accreditations?

No, Helping Hands Affordable Vet Surg and Dental Care does not offer eco-friendly accreditations.

Are warranties offered by Helping Hands Affordable Vet Surg and Dental Care?

No, Helping Hands Affordable Vet Surg and Dental Care does not offer warranties.

What services does Helping Hands Affordable Vet Surg and Dental Care offer?

Helping Hands Affordable Vet Surg and Dental Care offers the following services: Affordable Pet Surgery and Dentals. Complete dentals are $225, including bloodwork, any extractions and medications. Surgeries we perform include: ACL, Amputation, Anal Sac Removal, Bloat, Cherry Eye, Cholecystectomy, Colectomy, Cystotomy, C-Section, Dewclaw Removal, Ear Canal Ablation, Elongated Soft Palate, Enucleation, Entropion, Exploratory, Foreign Body Removal, FHO, Growth Removal, Hernia Repair, MPL, Nephrectomy, Perineal Urethrostomy, Pyometra, Splenectomy, Stomach Tack, Thyroidectomy

Are there any services Helping Hands Affordable Vet Surg and Dental Care does not offer?

Wellness Care - Shots, Exams.