Handyman Today Llc

Founded 2004 • With Angi since August 2006

4.4

1700 May Way Dr

Powhatan, VA 23139

Handyman Today, LLC has been a well respected handyman in the Richmond, VA area since its inception. Specializing in Small to Medium Size Home Repairs & Improvements. I believe in honesty, open communication, reliability, customer service, timeliness and managing every project I undertake in a cost effective way so that I can complete every job on time and on budget. I provide handyman services in both the public and private sectors in the Richmond, VA area, and I handle simple home improvement projects to small commercial repairs. My biggest asset is my dedicated, hardworking, safety conscious subcontractors. Anyone that walks on any of my work sites exhibits the height of professionalism at all times. I may not be the most well-known handyman in Richmond, VA or the most expensive handyman in the Richmond, VA area, but I am simply the most honest, most customer oriented handyman you will find anywhere. If you have any type of construction project, I'll consult with you, find your unique needs, and see if I can devise a solution to fit your desires and your budget. 3 employees. No subs. Cost is determined by the job. Travel charges may apply....

08/29/2017

Sharonda C.

Mr. Lee was contracted to replace a portion of siding on my home that was damaged from a hailstorm. Finally, when we negotiated the price to do the work and he showed up at my home to do the vinyl siding installation he informed me that he did not quote the job correctly. He did not see all of the damage even though he was shown specifically the area that was damaged. I agreed to the new price this is where it went from bad to worse. First, he purchased the wrong color siding without asking me before he purchased it and chose to inform me on installation day. The correct color was white and he bought off white. His answer to my question of why did you not purchase white was, I could not find white anywhere this was all they had. After leaving for work and expecting the work to be completed that afternoon I received a phone call from my father who was overseeing the work, informed me that the additional siding he purchased to complete, the other half of the damaged area was again the wrong color. He did not purchase the off-white color that he put on one-half of the house but a mustard yellow color. Now that portion of my house is half off white and half yellow. After talking to Mr. Lee on the phone to find out why he would do that, he again told me the company where he purchases his siding from did not have any more of the off white he purchased previously and this was all he could find. To top off his audacity, he told me he would paint it to fix the problem and wanted to charge me $150.00 for the pleasure. Needless to say, I was NOT going to pay him to fix a problem he made and a substandard fix at that. In addition, the siding was supposed to reach flat to the roofline and he cut the siding jagged and too short. There are 3-inch gaps all along the edge of the roofline where the siding ends. I told him he WILL not be paid until he fixes this problem. He told me he would rip all of the siding down from my house if I did not pay him his money. I called the police on him and they met with both of us and told him to leave my property. The ending of this nightmare came when he wasted my time and took me to court to sue me for $900.00 because in his eyes he put up siding and thought that he executed the contract. Well the judge saw differently and ruled in my favor because of the poor workmanship he saw in the pictures and dismissed the case. A picture is worth a 1000 words. Now that this nightmare is behind me and I am looking for a new company to do the work.

Description of Work
Vinyl siding repair

Category handyman service, remodeling, siding

08/17/2017

Jeffrey H.

Mr Lee did a great job. The work was done in an efficient manner. The work area as well as the surrounding areas were cleaned up the the end of the job. Mr. Lee arrives on time and his work is very professional.

Description of Work
I had the base of a garden window replaced. I also had the motor of a bathroom exhaust fan replaced.

06/29/2015

Gary K.

The provider initially had a fair quote on replacing 89 pieced of bad siding on the house as well as painting it. He did an excellent job on replacing the siding. I wanted to do the painting but he had insisted on doing the painting as part of the job. Well, he only put one coat of paint on wood that had not been previously painted when it really required three coats to look right. We argued over this fact and he wanted more money to do two more coats while I insisted that the contract was for him to paint until it looked like a quality job. He refused to back off and I had to eventually put two more coats of paint on. My biggest complaint with him was that he wanted to do a change order over every little detail that came up that was different than the contract and he wanted a huge overcharge for any and all changes. For example, the sink that he bought and put in did not match up the the existing sink hardware and he wanted more money to finish the job. The bathroom fan was smaller than his replacement model and a replacement model would not fit. I ended up deciding to just put a light in and he wanted extra money to place sheet rock mud around the light fixture and for me to pay for the light. He ended up keeping the fan that I purchased without giving me a refund. I made the mistake of paying him before he finished and he never came back to smooth out the mud around the light. My overall experience with him turned out to be negative and I would definitely not ever use him again.

Description of Work
Replaced 89 pieces of siding and painted same. Replaced a number of pieces of damaged wood framing around the siding. Replaced broken sink in one bathroom as well as sink hardware. Replaced the sheet rock over the tube in one bathroom. Replaced the vent fan in one bathroom.

Category drywall, electrician, handyman service, lighting, remodeling, woodworking, ceiling fans, home remodeling, house painters

06/27/2014

Michelle S.

Handyman Today was good. He's been out here several times to do random things, like painting the inside of our house and moving a washer and dryer from upstairs to our downstairs garage. They did a really good job on all the jobs we had them out there for. We've had good experiences with them. They have the best pricing.

Description of Work
They put some shingles on and did some outside repairs.

Category handyman service, roofing, interior painters

01/27/2014

Michelle S.

it went well. everything work out great

Description of Work
roof repair

08/28/2013

Joe D.

They came out on time and did more than I expected them to be able to do. I was very pleased and would use them again.

Description of Work
I used Handyman Today.

08/08/2013

david W.

He came out to give me an estimate when he said he would. He told me he would call me in 3 days with the estimate and put a written one in the mail the same day he called. Thirteen days later and I have not heard from him via phone or mail. I'm very disappointed. I thought he was going to be the one to do my deck addition.

Description of Work
Nothing!

Category decks

04/16/2013

Larry S.

appears to have been a waste of time.

Description of Work
Requested help replacing rotten wood on the exterior of the house. Received an email saying they had received my request but nothing after that. I again requested service. This time I received an email with so called attachments but the attachments were blank. I responded that they were blank attachments but no response. Then, per caller ID, I received a phone call from them but, after answering on the second ring, they immediately hung up. Strange way to run a business.

03/13/2013

Tehsina S.

They were very expensive. I compared with other companies and their price was outrageous. They were courteous with the woman, so that's why I go through Angie's List. The only issue I had was the price.

Description of Work
Handyman Today LLC gave me an estimate to put shelves in the garage, a counter in the laundry room, and to hang some curtain rods.

12/03/2012

richard N.

He is always very professional and lets you know exactly what it will cost

Description of Work
He installed gutters and drain pipes and did some dry wall work for me

12/02/2012

ron E.

His performance was better than expected.

Description of Work
This was my second contract with Handyman Today; I hired him based on his performance on the previous job. This was actually two jobs. The first was to tear out the wooden decking on a second-floor sundeck and replace it with ChoiceDeck, a composite material. He removed the iron railing from along one side and the fascia board on that side, and then he removed the old wood decking leaving the underdeck wood supports. Under the wood supports was a waterproof membrane, so he had to take extra care not to puncture the membrane. He installed ChoiceDeck and then replaced the iron railing, repairing it by welding separations that had occurred at two places. He removed all of the trash daily. The deck looks great; we are looking forward to using it a lot this spring and summer. The second job was to pressure wash the stone and Dryvit exterior of the house. Some of the roof vents came loose and he repaired them. Overall this part of the job went about as I expected.

Category decks, handyman service, welding, deck cleaning, pressure washing, woodworking

10/28/2012

ron E.

Overall the job went extremely well.

Description of Work
we hired Mike Lee (owner-operator of Handyman Today) to convert an attic space into a spare bedroom. This included roughing in 3 walls and the ceiling, completely insulating walls and ceiling, dry-walling all walls and ceiling, painting walls and ceiling, installing a small closet, hanging two doors, installing flooring for carpet(which he did not install), installing six electrical outlets, installing a ceiling fan-light, and tying in two HVAC outlets to an existing system. Mike did 95+ % of the work himself. He took a personal pride in his work, and his price was right. He kept me informed daily as to the job status, and brought several improvements to me which we discussed and were accepted. We found Mike to be a personable and honest individual. We have hired him to do some other jobs for us, and would definitely recommend him to others

Category drywall, handyman service, remodeling, woodworking, ceiling fans, interior painters, doors

09/02/2012

Michael A.

He arrived on time and gave an estimate, but the price was just way too much for what I was asking for.

Description of Work
Punctual and professional, but the price for painting the exterior windows was more than double what everyone else estimated.

Category house painters

07/16/2012

Scott K.

I will never use him or recommend him for deck maintenance.

Description of Work
I do not recommend this contractor for deck staining. I purchased 3 gallons of stain for the job. It was slopped on using way too much on the application. He had to purchase 2 more gallons which he almost ran out of...since he was running out he applied a thinner application toward the end which is where it looks the nicest. The deck looks awful and stain was splattered on the patio below the deck. Original quote was $430.00, but the final bill came to $625.00. He was rude and threatened to take me to court if I didn't FedEx payment to him for next day delivery, which cost me an additional $60.00. I was appalled with his attitude and unprofessional behavior.

Category handyman service, deck cleaning

07/10/2012

Jeanette L.

This gentleman is very personable and extremely pleasant and appears to be very knowledgeble. My only complaint and the only reason I did not use him is his pricing. It was totally out of bounds. We received four quotes for the same work ranging from $1200 to $2500. His quote was $4180. He did offer a 10% Angies list discount which brought it to $3762. The breakdown of the cost is what really bothered us. It is as follows Materials $1350, labor cost $1180, and PROFIT $1232 after the discount. When you add the and quot;discountand quot; in the profit margin is $1650. We did not have a problem with the materials cost, the labor cost was much higher than any of the other quotes but we still were incline to use him until the profit margin for him was included. As and quot;heand quot; explained it, this was his cost of basically managing the work because the labor cost is what he would be paying to have the work done. That was a profit margin of about 43% which is totally out of line. I still have his written quote as proof and to make sure I did not misquote any of his estimate. If you dont mind paying a 40+% profit for managing a house and driveway powerwash and a driveway sealant coating on top of an already HIGH labor and material cost, then he would probably do a good job. However based on the other quotes and my own personal knowledge of profit margins, I think the neghborhood and house inflated his cost. All the other quotes were around $350-$500 to powerwash the house and $350 each for the two decks and $350-$500 to powerwash and seal the driveway parts/labor/materials included. So you can see he was way out of line with the other four quotes. IF you live in a upscale neghborhood I would beware. Additional information: I had the work done by another competitor. Because of my desire in putting the best in my home I insisted on only the top of the line materials when doing the work. When I mention the materials cost to his competitors without mentioning his name they all laughed and said I was amost and quot;takenand quot;. Come to find out the materials which were needed to do all the work which I requested came to a grand total of $750. That really upset me because I really thought the Handyman was honest maybe expensive, but honest. The water used in the washing was supplied by me of course, the wash chemicals and stain cost for the house and deck cost $175 from Benjiman-Moore paint supplier, and the balance of the the $750 was for the Aggregate sealer. I guess my first thoughts about the cost of materials was very accurate.

Description of Work
No work was done. declined to use him.

Category pressure washing

06/06/2012

Michael A.

He was prompt and thorough. He came back to adjust it back to square.

Description of Work
He installed a door in my bathroom.

Category handyman service, doors

05/07/2012

John M.

I found Mike to be extremely professional and competent. He showed up exactly when he said he would and thoroughly explained the work he would undertake, what each component of the job would cost and how long it would take and why he proposed to do the job in such a way. The job was completed promptly and immaculately and he went above and beyond in the workmanship when replacing my deck stairs. I was very pleased and impressed with the work.

Description of Work
Deck repair and staining. We had rotted stairs and weak guard rails in several places together with an overall weathered deck.

04/05/2012

Judith M.

No mess. Cleans up after hinmself - on time and no drama.

Description of Work
I have used Mike Lee for numerous projects around the home and just recently used him to paint our medical offices. No job is too small or too big. He is totally honest and easy to work with. His prices are competitive. He is the first person I call.

Category decks, electrician, handyman service, woodworking

03/11/2012

Marc G.

The most impressive part of this work was the ability to closely match the existing "sponged" pattern of plaster on the ceiling. I was convinced that a contractor of moderate skill could repair the water-damaged sheet rock, but I had my doubts that the random plaster pattern could ever be made to blend in. Other contractors stated they could "do their best", but Handyman Today seemed to have some experience in this matter. The results were beyond my expectation. Without a close look, you cannot tell a repair ever occurred.

Description of Work
Removed portion of ceiling with water damage. Repaired, re-applied plaster to closely match existing pattern, and painted.

Category drywall, handyman service, plastering

12/12/2011

Susan P.

The projects went very well. There were numerous setbacks due to weather, but he remained focused and kept me at the top of his list and maintained contact as we worked through some of the weather and situational issues. He first put the column up in the living room along with the trim. It truly updates the room from a 70's look to a much more contemporary look. He painted the hallway and family room, disguising old outdated paneling with fresh paint. No drips, no messes on the floors. The painting was done very well and quickly. He constructed the cabinets, which are beautiful. There are four cabinets on either side of the fireplace with a counter top. The counter top is just wood, but he used a specail counter top transformation kit, so it actually looks like granite. It's beautiful! The cabinets are functional and gorgeous! He relocated two electrical outlets above where the cabinets were built. This is tremendous because it allows access to them, whereas they would have been covered by the cabinets. Everything turned out so well! The prices he quoted were fair and when it appeared we were going to exceed our budget, due to unforeseen issues, he alerted me immediately so a decision could be made. He was thorough and kept me updated as to every step of the project. I received a verbal report everyday. While he focused on the project as a whole, he also really paid close attention to the details on the cabinets and the column. He honed in on those aspects, that often get overlooked. He is not just a handyman, but a true craftsman! I would hire him again and would definitely recommend him.

Description of Work
He constructed a column inside on a half wall. He put up trim in order to separate a wall with an architectural deliniation. He painted inside (hallway - walls & ceiling; large family room - walls, trim, & ceiling; cabinets - inside and out). He constructed cabinets on either side of the fireplace with a counter top to fit under existing built-in wall shelves. He made it look like it was all one built-in. He fixed the trim on the garage doors to ensure the glass would not fall out. In terms of electrical work, he relocated two electrical outlets so they would be reachable once the cabinets were built.

Category countertops, electrician, handyman service, remodeling, woodworking, interior painters

12/11/2011

Eugene H.

I chose Mike from the referrals presented based primarily on his attested previous experience with sliding doors, in particular repair versus replacement.

Description of Work
My porch sliding door was dragging badly making it difficult to open and close. Mike adjusted and cleaned the rollers and track extending the service life of this door. It now opens and closes far more easily and smoothly. Mike did the work as scheduled at a fair price.

08/27/2011

Blanche W R.

Mike Lee's price was right; his recommended design for the "make over" of my back porch worked out beautifully; he was on time; he did a great job on everything; and he cleaned up afterwards.

Description of Work
Mike Lee repaired the screen on my back porch and designed and installed rails around the porch. He also redid the grout between the bricks on my front porch and trimmed the bushes in my front yard.

Category decks, handyman service, masonry

08/01/2011

Margaret S.

quick response to phone call, scheduled quickly, arrived on time and did great work.

Description of Work
needed a hand made bed disassebled and reassembled to ove to another room. Required carpentry skills to do so without damage to bed. Excellant job, quick response, bed looks great!

Category handyman service, woodworking

03/28/2011

Robert C.

He is going to be doing the work. His name is Mike. I had three quotes for the work. He was the lowest price and I felt he would do the best work. He included more options than the others. He was going to stain it and the others were not going to do that. He has all the licenses and he seemed to be professional.

Description of Work
I got an estimate from Handyman Today to redo my deck.

11/27/2010

richard C.

Mr. Lee was amazing. He provided a same day free estimate, performed quality work on time, and the price was exactly what he quoted initially. He was very responsive to any questions and made sure I was pleased with each stage of completion. I am very pleased with the results and highly recommend him. He exceeded my expectations on all levels. I will definitely be using him in the future for some inside projects as well as some more outside work.

Description of Work
Power wash brick house, remortar steps and bricks, caulk and paint windows, replace rotted wood and siding, fix handrails front and back.

Category handyman service, remodeling, pressure washing, woodworking, house painters