Air Conditioning Specialists

Founded 1997 • With Angi since January 2009

2618 Airline Blvd

Portsmouth, VA 23701

Since 1997, we have built an incredible reputation for providing premier HVAC service. You can expect the very best with Air Conditioning Specialists. We are committed to delivering the perfect HVAC system with outstanding quality products and superior customer service. We provide an excellent

10/07/2022

Chris F.

They sent two very polite & professional technicians to my house after hours to make sure my kids, dog, & myself were taken care of. The lady at the office was very polite & cared about my needs. I called two other companies before them & was told I would have to wait at least a week & would have to pay extra for an after hours call. They came the same day & did not charge extra. If you use them & I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU DO, Be sure & ask for Russell & Daryl, they will make sure you are taken care of.

Description of Work
A/C repaired, & maintenance

Category electrician, heating & air conditioning/hvac

06/17/2022

Danny C.

It hasn't happened in a year and a half. They don't call me. I have called them repeatedly, and sometimes, someone actually answers the phone. The only reason I renewed the maintenance service is because they "threatened" me that my 10 year labor and equipment warranty would not be honored, if I didn't. So, like the trusting fool that I am, I paid $542.00 to renew for 3 more years. That was in November of 2019. They were eager for my business then. Not so much now. The last time anyone was here, it was a "supposed" senior technician, sent here to diagnose a problem that I have complained about for years. He came up with a bogus diagnosis, that I knew was BS right from the start. I worked in the HVAC/R trade for 30+ years. He also quoted me an outrageous price for the repair, which was all covered under my 10 year warranty. I didn't agree to the repair. He also said the system was overcharged, but he took care of that. He must have vented it to the atmosphere, because no reclaim bottle ever came out of his truck. He then proceeded to put ACS stickers on all of our equipment, as if we were leasing it from them, including the system disconnect box. He never asked permission. In the first place, I don't know how the system would be overcharged. When it was installed, it received an exact weighed in charge. No one has ever added any refrigerant to the system, and the only access to it has been to check the charge. If anything, I would have expected it to be undercharged. When they do maintenance service, they're supposed to do a 15 point safety and efficiency check. In the 10 years we have had this Trane system, it has only been done twice. That means the proper service has only been done 10% of the time. Since everything is done electronically, I always request a hard copy be sent to me. The techs have shown me that the request for said hard copy is on the screen, but the office doesn't comply. I have TWO hard copies. I noticed that the last good reviews were written in 2017. That means that, this once good company, has gone to h*** in a hand basket in 5 years. I want to also mention that there seems to be a high turn over ratio in the field and in the office. Something isn't right there. The last time I spoke with anyone was June 6, 2022 and I was told that I would be called back. Still waiting for PREPAID service that cost me $542.00.

Description of Work
PREPAID maintenance service

08/10/2018

Monica M.

Company did a bad install on our A/C system last August, resulting in the safety switch not working. We now have damage to our home and company won't call back. My husband is a disabled veteran that still works for a living. We went to go bowling w/family and when he grabbed my ball, it was soaking wet. Overflow tray on unit had been leaking for an undetermined amount of time. He has HVAC certification for his job, and he wanted to know why our NEST didn't notify us of an issue, nor did the system shut off when we purchased the overflow safety alert option. The reason is because ACS installed another component directly on top of the safety switch, meaning that it couldn't pop up and disable the system. As a result, the tray has been leaking for heavens only knows how long; my leather bowling shoes had mold growing on the bottoms and I've had to throw away the entire ball, bag, shoes, wrist guards, chalk, etc. We haven't had anyone come out and do an estimate on damages to the house yet because we were hoping ACS was going to do the right thing and fix this situation they created. Their supervisor Brian did come out 7/26 and agreed that the install was faulty, and said he was escalating the issue to the owner of the company. In the ensuing weeks, I've heard nothing back from them. I started calling daily on Wednesday, 8/8, and have not heard anything back from them on this matter. If they still refuse to call me back by the end of next week, I will be contacting a local foundation company and having them do an estimate on damages to the structure of our home due to the water damage created by this faulty installation. I will then begin preparing a case against the company.

Description of Work
A/C Replacement

08/11/2017

Marinell M.

The company was great from start to finish. We bought or generator through Lowes and this was the contractor who installed. They sent an introduction letter, called several times and obtained all the permits from the city. Their office organized the inspectors and we just needed to be home. The day of the install they were on time at 0800 and finished by about 1:00. My husband is in a wheelchair and we were anxious to have the install before predicted storms. They made it happen within 2 days from start to finish with inspectors included. TJ the expert installer made a point to be back on day 2 to train me on the generator. GREAT JOB!!

Description of Work
They installed a whole house generator.

Category generator service

Thank You for giving us the opportunity. We appreciate your taking time to share your experience!

08/04/2017

Sumner S.

Tech was very unresponsive. AC failed about 20 days after he "fixed it." He repeatedly claimed he was coming out to work and didn't show up. The worst customer service I've ever experienced.

Description of Work
Air conditioning unit on a rental property stopped working.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Hi, this is the owner of Air Conditioning Specialists in Portsmouth. Can you please call my office - I'm unable to find your name or address in our database. If I'm not in, leave your number & I'll call back as soon as possible. Thank You, Crissy Smith

07/25/2017

Martin B.

.....................................................................................................

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for taking time to tell others about our company!

07/20/2017

Stephen P.

I was extremely pleased with the Trane units and the professionalism of the installers. Would not hesitate using Air Conditioning Specialists again. Could not believe how fast they worked and how tireless they were. I would recommend them to anyone without reservations.

Description of Work
Install new heating and A/C 2-Zone system

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank You! We appreciate your taking time to share your experience.

06/26/2017

Jacqueline H.

They come when we're not here and they've never miscommunication a date. They're really good.

Description of Work
They do a lot of preventative work to make sure things are running correctly. They call me to make sure things are set up.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

We appreciate your taking time to share your experience. We'll continue to provide the same service and be here when you need us. Thank you Again, Crissy Smith & our team at Air Conditioning Specialists!

05/07/2017

Lester M.

Very professional company. Arrived on time, worked efficiently and got my AC replaced and on line in a day. Went the extra mile: Examined my entire air handling system to make sure I had no leaks, left extra filters for the air return, and noticed I didn't have a carbon monoxide detector downstairs so they installed one for free. Crew teamwork was exemplary. I will look to ACS first for any AC needs in the future.

Description of Work
AC replacement

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Mr. [Member Name Removed], Thank you so much for taking time to share your experience(s) with Air Conditioning Specialists. We have the BEST team in the industry who's primary goal is to go over and above in their role in our process. We want to ensure we're who you call and tell others to call when it comes to all heating, cooling, electrical, generators and more. I can't tell you how much we appreciate the opportunity to serve you and look forward to providing you with many years of comfort!

03/27/2017

peter C.

I just like the way they do business. They are straight forward. They tell you how it is. Prices were comfortable to the others. They totally explained it to you to a t. As for different estimates, this wasn't the lowest, but the one that made the most sense.

Description of Work
They replaced my entire system. Heating and cooling. Its an hybrid system.

03/22/2017

Paul W.

They were outstanding in the way they performed the maintenance and I would not use another company. The worker was very knowledgeable and professional. There was just one worker. It took about an hour.

Description of Work
I used air conditioning Specialists. They did the service on my heating. It is an annual contract for twice a year. They are the ones that installed my HVAC system like 5 years ago.

03/16/2017

Louis W.

Excellent. On time in budget . Very professional and true to agreement

Description of Work
Installation of heat pump and electric furnace in 2017 and A/C and gas furnace in 2015.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Mr. [Member Name Removed] - You've been so kind to share your experience & we're more than excited we exceeded your expectations. We love sharing with all of our teammates. We couldn't do anything we do without having the best of the best on our team - its as important to us, as it is for you. Again - we appreciate the opportunity and are grateful for you and your continued business. Take Care!

03/09/2017

Milton and Kathy M.

They are excellent. We have a yearly maintenance contract with them.

Description of Work
They came out for a winter inspection.

Category home inspection

Thank you for allowing us to perform your winter inspection. We appreciate the opportunity and look forward to working with you in the future. Take Care ---

bernard A.

This was covered by the insurance. They were punctual. The insurance covered it so A for the price.

Description of Work
Lightning hit my air conditioner. They had to replace a condenser.

bernard A.

I've been using them for the last 10 years. They call before they come out to service the unit. You set up an appointment with them.

Description of Work
I have had a contract with them for the past 4 years. They do check up, air conditioning, servicing, cleaning, everything.

bernard A.

I had a Renault tankless water heater put in. This was also covered by insurance.

Description of Work
They replaced the water heater. It was split on the top and was leaking because the lightning struck it also.

Category water heater repair

08/17/2016

Mike B.

Well. They were fast and it was on a Saturday. Both problems were fixed. A little pricey though

Description of Work
AC troubleshooting found two problems. They fixed both

08/03/2016

Andrea J.

They're very good. I will continue to use them. They have a service contract on all the stuff they put in.

Description of Work
I've had a new water heater put in by Air Conditioning Specialists.

Category water heater repair

06/13/2016

James C.

They said they offer leak detection and repair however all the kid did was put a refrigerant detector inside the coil panel and said yep it's positive for a leak. I asked him why he's not taking the coil out and trying to pin point the leak and see if it's fixable and he said they don't do that???? So I paid $240 for the "leak detection" and it took about 10 minutes. I already knew the coil had a leak because it was frozen over and I wanted the company to see if they could pinpoint it and then braze the leak. Of course they sent a salesman over and tried selling me a new ac/furnace. Not sure what's going on in the hvac community but standards of practice seem immoral. To replace the coil they were going to charge $2500 for a two hour job and a part that cost $300. That is a profit of $2200 for a couple hours. This industry needs some consumer protection.

Description of Work
Lazy leak detection and added r22

06/13/2016

James C.

Description of Work
Lazy leak detection and added r22

02/29/2016

Robert A.

Everything went as planned, the foreman running the job kept us up to date and stuck with the job from the beginning of the planning stages through the final testing and programming of the system. Very Professional. The Salesman was very professional and straightforward as well; I didn't get the idea I was being sold, but felt I was being given a deal.

Description of Work
Installed 2 full Geothermal HVAC Systems in our house.

09/11/2015

Amy D.

When the tech arrived about 2.5 hours after the window he was scheduled for, he quickly let us know that the quote was not good for our model. The actual price would be closer to $1,300. It seems as if they just low-balled the price to get the appointment. I'm not sure what the actual intention was. The tech told us that he would hold the quote at $450, since that is what we were given. He said he would order the part in the morning and would call us with an install time. At 1:00 in the afternoon, we had still not heard back so we decided to call to find out what was going on. We were responded to as if the conversation we had with the tech about holding the price had never happened. No one had called us at all to follow up. It seems as if no one was GOING to call us. We had to go two extra days without AC because of the horrible communication within this company. I would not recommend their services to anyone.

Description of Work
I provided a Model and Serial number for my AC unit and asked for a price on replacing the motor. This provider promptly quoted me $450 for labor and installation. I was told they would be to my house between 2 and 4 the following day to perform the installation.

09/10/2015

John B.

They arrived on time and were very professional. Took down the molding to the attic as part of the service and replaced it perfectly when they were finished. The removal of the old and the installation of the new were all professional. They also cleaned up as they were leaving

Description of Work
Installed new hot water tank.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, water heater repair

06/16/2015

David S.

6/13/2015, 1:45 AM I awoke to find my A/C unit had quit working. I called the Air Conditioning Specialists, with whom I've had a maintenance service agreement for 5+ years, to request an emergency service call. They advertise 24/7 emergency service, and again, I was a long-time customer in good standing. The operator told me a technician would call me soon to arrange the visit. 6/13/2015, 3:30 AM I called the company back because I hadn't heard from the technician. The operator advised me that she would "page" the technician again and have him call me to provide an ETA. 6/13/2015, 6:30 AM I call again because I hadn't heard from anyone with the company. The operator told me that the on-call technician said that he received the notification that I require service and he would contact me closer to 8:00 AM. So much for 24-hour service. 6/13/2015, 8:15 AM I call the company again because still no one has called to confirm the service appointment. The woman who answered the phone knew who I was and knew my situation and said that the technician had been out until 12:45 AM on another call, went home to eat, and apparently didn't get the messages regarding my service call. The operator said the tech would be at my house between 10:00 and 12:00, after he made another service stop that somehow must've come in before my 1:45 AM call? 6/13/2015, 10:05 AM The technician arrives, diagnoses the problem and fixes it within 10 minutes. FANTASTIC! Unsolicited by me, he apologizes directly to me for not being there sooner and explains how he was out late at another call, went home to eat, and fell asleep. I accepted his apology and we went on quite cordially for the remainder of the visit. There was not a negative word said by either party during the entire visit. The technician calculated the payment owed, and presented me with the bill via iPad. I provided my AMEX card and he swiped the card for the full amount the tech said that I owed. $238 6/15/2015, 4:58 PM Allen Smith, OWNER of the company, calls me and aggressively and rudely accuses me of having not paid my bill from 6/13/15. When I protest, his tone becomes accusatory and more aggressive like he was going to bully me into paying. When pressed to explain how that was possible given that I had a credit card receipt, he told me the technician said I had refused to pay the $100 diagnostic fee. This was absolutely a complete lie. I never refused to pay for any part of the services rendered, and hadn't even asked for a discount on the price since they dropped the ball on the 24-hour service claim. When I attempted to back the conversation up and explain the series of events as I recalled them, Allan interrupted me with "I know all about you calling at 1:45 in the morning. I dont even want to hear about that anymore." And when I mentioned that I had requested on 6/13/15 (Saturday) for a manager to call me about my complaint with their "24 hour" service, Allan chastised me by saying that "it's only Monday. It was just Saturday that you asked and we're not even through Monday of 100-degree heat, so yeah, no one has called you yet." After a heated exchange in which I lost my temper with these accusations, I told Allan to send me a bill for what he thought I owed, and to cancel my agreement with his company. He indicated that he would be glad to do that and hung up. This was the MOST unprofessional interaction I have EVER had with a business person - especially one to whom I had been a loyal customer for several years. AWFUL customer service. 6/15/15, 5:09 PM Allen Smith calls me back and leaves a voice message for me indicating that there was a mix-up and he had mistakenly called me when he should've called another customer, who really had refused to pay his diagnostic fee that day. He also said he spoke to the technician after he called me and learned that the technician had WAIVED the diagnostic fee for my service because he felt bad that it took him 8 hours to arrive at my house. So Allen didn't even bother to fact check a single thing with his technician before he called me and falsely accused me of not paying my bill. He apologized profusely. This is too little, too late. This is NOT how you treat any customer. Allen valued his $100 diagnostic fee so much that he lost 1 loyal customer, and 2 more customers who I had referred who will be cancelling their contracts with AC Specialists. Penny wise, pound foolish.

Description of Work
Replaced the capacitor on the outdoor unit of my A/C system.

Category electrician, heating & air conditioning/hvac

05/16/2015

Luke H.

The work was completed in a timely manner. After inspecting the installation of the duct work i found some major problems which i addressed to there QA who made it sound like no big deal, but if i hadnt climbed every square inch of the installation i would have never found the issues. After climbing in my attic i found they never installed a new return, tried to hide a register that wasnt hooked up ( they ran the duct insulation over the old duct line to try and hide it, found another register that was improperly hooked up ( i could reach inside the register from the attic because of inadequate sealing of the register to duct connection) and lastly they didnt replace my main return. After calling there QA and having to justify myself the finally came and fixed it. If i wouldnt have climbed my attic which i dont think most people would i would have never found these issues.

Description of Work
Replaced entire unit and ductwork

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, air duct cleaning