B Square Home Improvements

Founded 2007 • With Angi since October 2012

4.1

1213 Bill St

Norfolk, VA 23518

I provide fast and free estimates. Payment is due at end of services, cash or check only. Ask for Tim Edenburn, Mason Meyer or Harry James

11/11/2015

Deborah W.

the work was fine, but he was supposed to get return to give me a quote on some additional leakage and he never contacted me or returned my calls.

Description of Work
Handyman service

10/16/2015

David S.

B-Square Home Improvements installed replaced an outdoor ceiling fan that went bad with a new one that I had already purchased. The installation went well. Ceiling fan is still working great about a year later. Great prices. Hired them for additional work around the house. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get in contact with them for more work around the house.

Description of Work
Installed an outdoor ceiling fan.

Category drywall, fencing, plumbing, ceiling fans, doors

03/23/2015

Cynthia H.

The deal worked out but I did have to have them come back out to balance the fan.

Description of Work
I purchased a Big Deal for Ceiling Fan Installation.

Category ceiling fans

01/22/2015

Christina W.

The corners were not great and they used the molding to make it look great. They did the flooring and it took longer than we thought. The additional hours were that same rate as the big deal. They were nice guys and they work together well. They were nice around me and my children.

Description of Work
They were great.

10/27/2014

Kim R.

Very difficult to get a hold of to schedule appointment. Some items were too costly - cost based on time not flat rate for installation - cost $150 to install closet door. Did not remove debris.

Description of Work
Installed ceiling fan, light fixtures, storm doors, closet door, cleaned rollers on sliding glass door

Category fencing, lighting, ceiling fans, doors

10/22/2014

Tracey M.

First it was a delay in the bathroom tiles that was ordered through Lowes ( no fault to the contractor (Tim)). Stayed constance contact with Tim when the order had arrived for pick up, Once the title arrived contacted Tim. But before I got into my disappointment of Tim, I want to pass on kudos to James who worked the hardest completing the major project?installing three bathroom tiles pretty much by himself. Major issue I had with Tim and his crew was punctuality. When I was told on the 29 Sep on what time he will pick up the title from Lowes and arrived at my residence was 9-9:30. Well Tim didn't arrived until after 1:00pm . I had to contacted him to find out his whereabouts and I was told about his delayed. When he arrived, again another mixed up in order to begin work. It was a miscommunication on his part which cause another delay in work. I could go on and on about my dissatisfaction in Tim. But what I will stay my project started on 29 Sep and didn't complete the project (s) until 9 Oct, at which I still have a few unfinished work in the last bathroom. I contacted him on the 10 Oct via texted and to date I haven't received a response. Now it's 22 Oct and Tim haven't returned my text nor has he contacted me to make sure I was completely satisfied. From the beginning 29 Sep, my residence was left for several days of a family of four using 1 bathroom. From the time he started, Tim was never on time and when he arrived late in the day, he only spent several hours on the project. The only time he spent from more than several hours was on 9 Oct when he was working on the last bathroom and wanted to received his final payment. Several times, Tim left the residences and left one or two of his team to work. I will stay James and Scott worked very hard but yet I was still unhappy with the length of completing my projects. All of the workers smoke and of course they smoke outside but left their butts on my premises. They cleaned up their work/materials but not their butts. Very friendly and nice guys, but work time spent could have been completed sooner and punctually was very poor! I was considering requesting his services again, but I decided not to.

Description of Work
The major project was removed and installed three bathroom floor tiles; Replaced and installed three landscape lights; removed and repaired a section of a drywall in one of the bathroom due to potential water damage; adjusted four ceiling fans and removed and replaced one ceiling fan.

Category drywall, fencing, lighting, ceiling fans

10/18/2014

Teresa C.

The company contacted me through the messaging center on Angie’s List initially. He left a few messages, and I always got in contact with him the next day and then I would never hear from him. I was never able to actually speak with him about setting up a time to come out and look over the things that needed to be fixed. After a few weeks of playing phone tag I never heard from him. He finally contacted me and said he would be by this morning but he never gave a time. When I called the number, it said this number couldn’t be completed as dialed.

Description of Work
4 Hours of Handyman Service

10/17/2014

Karen H.

I had much trouble contacting and making appointment. Tim (owner) said he was training a new office gal and it wasn't going well. When did arrive, brought another man with him. Worked rather slowly but meticulously. When finished, discussed future jobs. Tim said he was a Master Electrician and that he and his workers could do everything from removing old furniture and repairing driveway cracks to painting, electric, carpentry and just about anything & everything I might need done. I told him I would like to use him again but asked if it would be easier to contact & set an appointment in the future. He assured me it would, but when I asked him for a business card with contact information, said he didn't have any. He also has no web site or means of e-contact other than through Angie's List. His only phone # is a personal cell phone. Called this number to set an appointment to paint newly hung door, install an outdoor light fixture and indoor fan light and discuss a series of future jobs. He gave me an arrival time of 1 p.m. on October 16, but asked me to call back as soon as we finished our conversation and tell his voice mail the date, time, address, etc. He has no office staff. By 2 p.m., when he still had not arrived, I called the same cell number to see if he intended to come. The phone was either out of service or my call was blocked. When I called Information to get a number under his name and address, there was no listing. I left an email message via Angie's List service and received no response. He neither showed up nor called to explain/reschedule. Tim is a very nice and talented man, but operates in a disorganized, unprofessional manner. If he would handle his staffing and communication/scheduling issues, I'm sure he would be very successful.

Description of Work
Hung two large paintings. Connected two decorative mantel lanterns.

Category concrete driveways, fencing, handyman service, lighting, doors

10/09/2014

Daniel S.

We signed up for the Angie's List deal for a $49 ceiling fan installation. I thought the price was too good to be true from the beginning, and I was right. The provider was not available for any of the days we requested when we bought the deal and took over a week to contact us by phone to schedule an appointment. Then, no one showed up for the scheduled appointment. We sent an Angie's List message and left a voice message on the business phone line to follow up, but neither message was returned. Eventually had to contact Angie's List to get a refund. Would not recommend buying this deal or dealing with this company at all.

Description of Work
Nothing.

Category fencing, ceiling fans

10/01/2014

Stephanie V.

These guys were very professional with the service we received. I had these guys come over and build me a new portion of the backyard fence. On top of that, we have been having issues with nutrias coming into my yard and destroying it. These guys installed some chicken wire throughout the fence of the yard, properly digging the bottom of the chicken wire into the ground, adhering the wire onto the fence (ensuring the integrity of the wire will prevent any rodents or pests from getting into the yard). Furthermore, Tim went around the yard, and reinforced some of the boards that were coming loose. B Square gave me a reasonable and affordable price, and came through with quality and professionalism. We will definitely be using them again in the future.

Description of Work
Backyard Fence, Chicken Wire instillation

09/25/2014

Mark and Rachel H.

My husband was here and he would give them A’s all across the board. They gave us a discount for being Angie’s List members as well as a military discount too. They did so well on the fence we will have them out to paint it. They had all the material needed, which we paid for upfront, and they followed our family housing requirements.They were very patient with us.

Description of Work
They put in a fence for us and completed it at the end of August, it was 155 feet.

09/20/2014

william C.

Major Complaints They were always late. One day the spray painter said he would be there at 8:30am. He arrived at 10:30am. The first day the whole crew was 21/2 hours late. They sprayed my register ventsx3 and sprayed over the dust and they were a mess. They put tape on my vanity and yanked when done taking the wood laminate along with it The best things they did was repairing the door jam and painting the doors

Description of Work
Work called for painting of master bedroom, walk in closet, master bath, seven interior doors, and repair a door jam.

Category handyman service, interior painters

09/16/2014

Tarsha D.

No work was done. I want a refund of my money. I will be contacting Angie's List directly for a refund.

Description of Work
The company came out to look at the work that needed to be done. They told me that they'd call or return with the next two days. 5 days passed and I received a call from the owner who set up a time to come out and do the work. On the day he was supposed to work, he said he was sick so he rescheduled for a week later. The appointment day came and went and I have not seen or heard from anyone with this company. I even did a follow-up email and asked him if he planned to return to do the work. I have received no response.

08/21/2014

Debra B.

Tim and Harry did a great job. Everything was done and done well. Would call them again and recommend them to family and friends.

Description of Work
Fixed gutter, shower door, floor joist, kitchen sink, unstuck outside door, installed new faucet.

Category gutter repair, handyman service, roofing

08/20/2014

Deborah W.

The owner of the B Square Home Improvement was not the person who did the job. We called the owner back out to our house on day 3 of the job to address the fact that rain had interferred with the work so the workers had to leave the job unfinished and to address the hours. We were going out of town and they came back after we were gone to install the rest of the shutters so we paid the owner his price of $575.00 and he agreed to return to touch up the paint. The owner was very nice and tried to make things right. 1. There were too many delays which increased the cost. 2. The employees did not exhibit a strong knowledge of how to do the job. 3. The employees appeared to purposely take too long to perform the job and purchase the screws/anchors they needed. I met them at the Home Depot on day 2, to pay for the hardware and left them getting into their truck; I assumed to return back to do the job. However they did not return for a couple of hours. When they returned it was not very long that they could work and rain started so this delayed the job for another day. It was not explained in the beginning that someone other than the owner would be performing the work. The communication could be improved with this company. The workers did not make their presence known to us when they started working and this would have left us with a better impression had they done so. Their appearance and attitudes could be greatly improved. In conclusion the owner showed more professionalism than his employees.

Description of Work
The original agreement was for the handymen to remove the exterior shutters there were 10 shutters to remove and then reinstall using anchors that would secure the shutters. The second task was to paint the shutters. When the owner arrived to give his estimate he advised us that the cost of the services if they exceeded the 4 hours would be $50.00/hr. We agreed to this fee based on the time we estimated it would take to complete the job. The handymen that were scheduled to show up at our house did not show on time. They were very slow, they took breaks often. They had to buy some hardware and took several hours away from the job to purchase the hardware at a local Home Depot. They painted the shutters we left them to dry and then tried to use the old holes for the reinstallation and this was not working so the owner had to be contacted to let them know it was ok to drill new holes which they could fill with wood putty after hanging then sand and paint the spots again. The paint job after the installation was pretty much messed up and scratched, and the areas where there was wood putty now look as though they have been painted with a different type of paint.

Category fencing, handyman service, house painters

08/12/2014

VINCENT G.

Tim did a great job on the gate. The work was performed on time and the gate works flawlessly. The hardware used is excellent and the fence looks great. In addition, the fence was missing some pickets and a storm had pushed one of the sections down the night before. Tim and his crew fixed the broken/missing pickets and put back up the leaning fence without having to be asked and for no charge.

Description of Work
Replaced a double gate on a 6 ft. privacy fence.

Category fencing, driveway gates

08/01/2014

Xiaochao Z.

I had two ceiling fans that need to be installed and I purchased the deal on Angie's list for ceiling fan installation. The provider came right on time and installed the fans with no problem. While they were here I mentioned that some of the screen windows need to be replaced. They gave a price and said "it doesn't matter how long it takes, the price you paid will cover all screen windows." They came at a later day and indeed, took off at least 5 screen windows, went to HomeDepot to purchase the parts (parts cost was separate), then came back and worked the whole morning. While they were here I was also working in the garage, and they were generous to lend me a drill charger (I was organizing the garager and the charger was no where to be found) and a level (I didn't have one). By 1pm they either made new or fixed the old screen windows. And I was even able to keep their charger for three more days until I got my own. I was very happy with their work and will contact them again if I need handyman help.

Description of Work
Installed two ceiling fans; replaced or fixed 5 screen windows.

Category fencing, handyman service, ceiling fans

07/29/2014

Demita E.

Eric arrived 30 min late and took until 7pm to finish. Called them back next day because the ceiling fan in master BR I am unable to adjusted the speed of the fan (chain is stuck). Owner or who ever he is said it's the fan and not the installation but would have Eric call me so that he may come back out. Well that never happened.

Description of Work
Installed 3 ceiling fans

Category fencing, ceiling fans

07/13/2014

Asa K.

FACTS: I purchased 4 hours of B Square Home Improvement Handyman Service for $198 on 20 June. The contractor (Tim) and I communicated over Angie's List e-mail and mobile text for a few weeks to setup an assessment date and the official start date. The first impression was relatively good. Communication and responses at first seemed fine but became increasing erratic and difficult. Phone calls, voice messages, and texts would be ignored/unanswered for long periods of time, over a couple days or more. 13 July at 0900 was supposed to be the start of the contract and I had to call at 0920 to find out what was going on when no one had shown up. He indicated that he had issues with rounding up his workers. By 1000 no one had still shown up so I inquired again and let him know I could wait until 1100 if necessary so he could deal with the situation. Unfortunately he could not fulfill his agreement for a rescheduled 1100 appointment. -------------------------------------- PROBLEM: 1. Communication 2. Response 2. Dependability Communication: I should not have to reach out to find out what is going at 0920 when the show-time was 0900. The contractor should be communicating this and not leaving the customer in the dark. Response: Waiting days for responses and reply's for things like a purchase list, especially considering the narrow blocks of time available to make a Home Depot or Lowe's run after work,...this is poor customer service. I also gave plenty of leeway to give him the benefit of the doubt. Dependability: Not making the appointment time (with no extenuating circumstances), not communicating that to the customer, and not being able to fulfill the commitment even with a rescheduled time for the same day, is unsatisfactory. Errands, events, and appointments were cancelled for this project and the entire Saturday was blocked out for this 4 hour project and I am sincerely disappointed in the customer service and the professionalism of this contractor. The contractor did offer an apology about the situation but that does not alleviate the fact that I wasted an entire morning sitting around waiting for no one to show up.

Description of Work
The provider did not do any work. Appointment scheduled for 0900 on 13 July was missed and ultimately cancelled.

Category fencing

I truly am sorry sorry that it did not work out The only explanation I have it is that we are smal a company And I run the phones the message and the scheduling and the work all by myself. I do believe it is important for us to do you the best possible job that we can that is the reason I want to be on every job. I do however know that customer service is one of the most important parts of growing a small business And I will give you my word that I would try the hardest I possibly can To provide a quick and accurate response to every single customer which caused in. Again I am sorry for wasting your time.

07/05/2014

Alana F.

The workmen came out to assess my needs, and gave me a materials list (they said that they were going to return after a small job to do the work). They didn't return, and when I reached their boss in the morning, they said that we had an altercation and were not coming back. I am unaware of any difficulties, but no harm no foul. I just want my money back.

Category handyman service

This work was not performed because of some kind of act that was done at your home. Neither you or my Guys will tell me what happened But I will not send my men into an uncomfortable situation. Sometimes you are uncomfortable with your contractor and sometimes the contractor is uncomfortable with the customer. I hope there are no hard feelings and your money was refunded in full.

07/05/2014

Alan L.

Mr. Edenburn arrived on time to discuss the project and to give me an estimate. During the meeting he explained all that would be involved in the project and made sure he understood the kind of fence I was looking for. He returned later with a more detailed written estimate. I received other estimates and the B Square Home Improvements estimate was very competitive. The project started at the agreed time and finished on time. The fence is exactly what I wanted and I am completely satisfied with the project and the excellent workmanship.

Description of Work
Removed old chain link fence and wooden fence, cut and removed brush and small some trees and installed single board dog-ear style pretreated 6 ft wooden fence including two gates. 233 ft total.

Category fencing, handyman service

Thank you Mr. (member name) For the good review And all the great help you did while we were on your project. Please feel free to give us a call if you have any issues with the fence or any other projects you wish to get done And thanks again for choosing be square.

06/22/2014

Sharon J.

Tim and team of two arrived early and immediately began jobs. The kitchen sink installation required some reconfiguration of the plumbing which took almost the entire 4 hours of one worker and helper, while Tim completed the other jobs. They were friendly, professional and very determined to complete the jobs correctly.

Description of Work
Installed new kitchen sink,faucet, and garbage disposal. Installed 3 outdoor lights and replaced a washing machine cutoff valve.

Category fencing, handyman service

Thanks again for the good review and for all the help you offered why we're on the job. And I sure am glad that dispose of got put in right it was one tough cookie. Thanks again for choosing be square and please feel free to give us a call for any of your home improvement needs both inside and out.

06/10/2014

Paul H.

Tim and Harry got here a little late because they were unfamiliar with the area. When they did arrive, they went right to work. I showed Tim some problems with the fence and he gave me an estimate on what it would cost to fix the problems. Both Tim and Harry did a great job and I am very happy with the results.

Description of Work
Installed gate latch and placed wire over various openings in shed so that animals (especially birds) could not enter.

Category handyman service

Thanks (Member name removed) for the great review on Angie's List. I also appreciate your understanding with our tardiness And if there's anything that u need both inside and out I hope you call us again We really had a good time working with you.

05/27/2014

Michele S.

Everything was completed in a timely manner.

Description of Work
Excellent Service. None of my phone calls were ever ignored.

05/27/2014

Jenniffer S.

We purchased a $99 fencing repair deal off Angie's list to have two double side gates secured. We had just closed on our new home and were concerned that the gates wouldn't keep our 94 pound dog inside the yard. Tim was super responsive initially and explained that he could help stabilize the gates, utilizing the $99 we already spent, but the gates were old and might not last. He gave us a price of $1000.00 to close off one side of the house (remove one double gate and put a fence straight across). He made promises of building a custom double privacy gate, on the other side of the house, that would allow a large vehicle to pass through, could be opened by either side and would hold in our large dog. It is worth noting that we have a large, extended driveway, that goes all the way to the back of our yard and the slab is big enough for a large RV to pass/park. We wanted the replaced gate to have the same functionality of the old one, but be more secure. A combination of bad weather and Tim being ill, kept him from completing the job as scheduled, but we were very understanding. The side fence he put up looks great, and we have no issues. However my concerns come from the custom double privacy gate he built for us. First in order to build our gate he had to drill into our 6-8 inch slab and realized after he started drilling that he didn't have the right tools to complete the job. This resulted in my driveway (around the area's where the polls/gate were installed) being torn up. Once the poles were in, and the new cement laid, he didn't take the time to properly smooth out the areas around the new support polls/gate material. So the pavement in the front and back of the gate looks like Poo*. Secondly, he didn't think to check if my driveway was level and subsequently he placed the gate posts directly on top of the cement. You can't see under the gate. The result is that when you open either side of the gate, more than a few inches, it gets caught on the cement. This means that simple tasks, like opening the gate to move the trash receptacles, is a major evolution. He told my husband that you can push up on the top part of the gate and it will move to the side easier. This is partially true if you're a big enough guy, but my 5'2 self isn't equipped. While moving in, I was able to get the gate opened wide enough to allow my vehicle to pass, but it just squeaked by. If we had an RV, there's no way it would fit through the gate now. Lastly, he left a huge mess for me and my husband to clean up. He did ask my husband before he left, but my husband felt sorry for him because he had an ear infection. It took days to get all the extra mud and cement he left outside the fence cleaned up. I'm very dissappointed overall. I really think we overpaid for what we ended up getting. In retrospect, a little attention to detail and some pride in your product would've gone a long way. He is a nice enough guy and my impression was that he has fallen on some hard times.

Description of Work
Replace two double side gates.