Commonwealth Renovations

Founded 1986 • With Angi since October 2010

4.3

9112 Bailey Oak Dr

Midlothian, VA 23112

Commonwealth Renovations owner, JB Sipe has over 33 years of experience in the home improvement industry. Our goal is 100% satisfaction and all work is GUARANTEED and under warranty. We offer FREE estimates and Senior Citizen discounts! Fully licensed and insured and references are available. We also offer weekend and evening appointments. FINANCING AVAILABLE!! Any Angie's List member mentioning this will receive 10% off the price of their project (up to $1000.00 discount)....

09/12/2020

Douglas F.

Worst experience with a contractor ever. All work subbed out and substandard. Subflooring 2 1/2" out of level, windows installed (7) with no flashing whatsoever, exterior damage seen as out of scope of the work etc etc. Horrendous and a total fraud.

Description of Work
Rehab of 450 sq. ft. she-shed

Category awnings, remodeling, replacement windows, window treatments, woodworking

08/22/2019

Bill K.

The entire process went smoothly. JB came out and promptly quoted what was needed and his pricing was competitive. Once we decided to hire them, the start date and time frame to finish that he told me was accurate. There were NO hidden surprises. The project went smoothly and completed on time and as expected. The patio size was approximately 200 sq ft with an additional 64 square foot of sidewalk.

Description of Work
Stampcrete Concrete Patio and sidewalks

Category handyman service, patios

Nikki H.

JB was quick to respond and was easy to work with in coordination with granite company. The granite company he works with was professional, helpful and friendly. His pricing was fair and the finished product was excellent. Would use JB again for any size project.

Description of Work
Granite-kitchen island

Category marble & granite, home remodeling

TJ H.

JB was quick to respond and explained all of the steps in detail. He had several choices for design and color. His crew was professional and friendly and offered suggestions for our sloped area. His pricing was competitive and the end result is excellent. We would use JB again.

Description of Work
Patio-stamped concrete

Category concrete repair, stamped concrete

Nikki H.

JB was quick to respond. His plumber came immediately upon request and was polite and professional. Would use JB again.

Description of Work
Plumbing-connect kitchen faucet and disposal

Category handyman service, plumbing

08/20/2019

Nikki H.

JB was easy to work with and explained the process in detail. He offered many choices for design and color. His crew was professional and friendly and helped to determine the best layout for our sloped area. Very happy with the finished product. Would use JB again.

Description of Work
Patio-stamped concrete

Category concrete repair, stamped concrete

08/20/2019

Nikki H.

JB was quick to respond and easy to work with. His crew was professional and friendly. He beat other pricing and performed quality work in a timely manner. Will use him again.

Description of Work
Deck extension

Category decks, deck cleaning

03/21/2018

Scott B.

J B was great. Workers were friendly and professional. Job was very good, and came out even better than I expected. Would, and have recommended them highly.

Description of Work
Comcrete Patio

Category decks

08/21/2017

Terry L.

The pool was to be located close to the house, sitting on the floor of the crawlspace on top of poured concrete. This was changed very quickly. The Plan was changed and moved to the middle of the yard where there was no deck just ground. They did the excavation and the first thing they did wrong was they did not excavate down far enough. From there the whole pan he intended to do could not be done anymore because of the pool being too far up. Since he could not do that he decided to bring in dirt to build up my yard. But i said we cant do that im already getting complaints from neighbors. I said the only way is to build a deck, which i didn't want, but i didn't see any other way around it. Things happened so quickly, starting the deck. decked the entire yard with a composite. They did a really terrible job. It looks bad. My Landscaping guy told the contractor that the end result looks like S*** and you would never have this deck in your home. I kept reaching out sending pictures, he said he would fix it, but he never came back out. I sent a scaling email. The Pool never worked for more than a few days. He would come over whenever he had time, but it would never really get fixed. The back of the pool has a access panel, was splintery and partially painted and hardly closed. The whole thing is just falling apart. He even used a piece of a old dresser to fix the panel. they left scratches and gasps. In the very beginning i sort of had a relationship with the contractor. I liked him and trusted them. I told him, if you can not finish the pool by June 1 DO NO excavate, but that didn't happen. Because of all of his mistakes I had to have a deck. Because i was getting to know him he knew that i was in a car accident and had a lot of test done during this time, he knew that time was of the essence. He still didn't take that into consideration. i called a pool company to Winterize the pool. They said they could not winterize the pool because it was put together incorrectly.

Description of Work
pool installed New Deck

Category decks, swimming pools

The member had a general contractor remodeling her bathroom who acted as a superintendent on the job. I was told to report to him. He approved all work to be performed and any changed orders that were made. She fired him in the middle of completing the job so then I was dealing directly with her. The pool was located as close to the house as possible. Considering the elevations of her property. Originally it was to be stamped concrete around the pool. When excavating to recess the pool in the ground, we ran into roots from the neighbor’s trees. Because of this, we had to change the elevation of the pool. As stated in her letter, she changed to composite decking. She picked out decking and material and color. She picked a gray color that also had gray streaks throughout the board. She would not let us install the deck boards until she was satisfied that it wasn’t mold. This delayed it by two weeks so she could research the board through manufacturer. She picked tile for the surround of the pool. She chose cedar siding for the access panel on back of pool When everything was completed the pool was running great. It has a digital keyboard that the member had difficulty understanding. She contacted me several times and each time Robert was sent out to explain again to her to operate it. Each time pulling Robert off of other jobs. I feel she has never understood how to operate it. I gave her exactly what she contracted me to do and it’s not my responsibility to also maintain. There were six draws on the job as well as change orders. I received each payment because she was satisfied and happy with everything throughout all phases. I am sending before and after pictures as well as pictures of the pool running. I strive to make all my customers happy and satisfied and I did that with her as well. I tried to help her understand to the best of my ability how to make this pool function.

07/05/2017

sandra F.

very good work, but when called to do more work...never heard from them again?????

Description of Work
replaced siding, tiled a garage bathroom,

Category ceramic tile, handyman service, siding

07/04/2017

Randy S.

used Angie's messages back and forth a few times- set 6/16 day to meet at my home, but never showed up. No phone call to cancel either.

Description of Work
Concrete resurface

Category concrete repair

07/03/2017

Paul C.

Materials were delivered within three weeks of signing contract. Work crew showed up two days later, and the work was completed in one day. The crew put tarps all around the work area and did a good job of cleaning up after themselves.

Description of Work
Replacement roof for 2,000 square foot home.

Category handyman service, roofing

06/16/2017

phyllis B.

I was pleased with services and will use them in the future.

Description of Work
Miscellaneous projects

04/05/2017

Kevin R.

Went very well. Weather was a factor but work was done well, communication was good. Would recommend to other.

Description of Work
1) Remove old siding and replace with Hardie Plank 2) Tear down deck and replace with stone patio. 3) Build stone fire pit

Category decks, siding, patios

03/09/2017

Candy M.

I bought the Angie's List special for the 3-D kitchen design services on 11/28/16. We have a small kitchen and needed some creative expertise that could help guide us towards the desired remodel of the kitchen,. The gentleman came on 12/23/16, and took many photos and measurements, and told us that he'd be sending the images offsite, and will get back to us after the holidays. I called in February to follow up for the designs, indicating that I had not received them, and he said he was on the road and would email them to me later. I later sent him an email on February 24, based on the website's listed contact email address, but as of March 9, 2017, I have not received a response, an email, or the kitchen design I expected to get through the Angie's List which was advertised as "Commonwealth Renovations, a highly rated multifaceted specialist on Angie's List, is offering custom kitchen or bath design, consultation, and plans for only $55. This service is normally valued at $200, saving Angie's List members $145. Commonwealth Renovations encourages you to buy a coupon for each area you want to remodel. If you are considering remodeling two bathrooms and a kitchen, you should purchase three coupons. " I only asked for the kitchen design, so it was not like I asked for Mr. JB to do multiple designs.

Description of Work
Design plan/budget for future kitchen renovation.

Category handyman service, home remodeling

12/22/2016

Marianne V.

Gentleman came out, made measurements and discussed bathroom renovation needs. Never received the plans.

Description of Work
Bathroom renovation plan

11/10/2016

Kevin S.

They started a couple days later than expected but JB kept me informed of what was going on. Once started the work went quickly and the roof looks excellent. They had to do some repairs but the cost was quite reasonable for the work done which included new shingles and installing a new ridge vent. The roof looks even better than I anticipated so I am very happy and would recommend Commonwealth Renovations and will put them at the top of the list for future work.

Description of Work
Roof replacement

11/07/2016

edwin S.

Commonwealth is an excellent company to work with. JB is a true professional. His quote was timely and very reasonable. When the crew showed up I was worried about the forecast for heavy rain over the next few days. JB was fine with delaying the start of the project Bernardo and his crew did a great job tearing off the old shingles and putting on the new roof. They finished in two days. The clean went as smoothly as the rest of the job. Ryan even came back a day later to run the magnet again when the removed the dumpster.

Description of Work
New roof with architectural shingles

10/31/2016

Randall D.

He called me back, we set a time to meet at the property, and he was on time, professional, and polite. He said that he would have an estimate to me very soon. That was about 2 weeks ago. No estimate. No contact from him. I have called twice and he has not returned my calls. (This and similar situations are VERY common with contractors these days. It's VERY frustrating...)

Description of Work
Contacted J. B. to do some exterior rot repair and painting/staining on a rental home of mine.

Category handyman service, siding, deck cleaning, pressure washing, woodworking, house painters

04/14/2016

joseph R.

The framing went well however both closet doors were undersized. Both door ways needed to be ripped out 2 times. the finished job was not what I expected from a professional. If JB had showed up to inspect the work I think the job would have gone better. He did give me a discount. ( I would have preferred the job done correct from the get go)

Description of Work
Divided a 31foot long room into 2 bedrooms with a closet in each room.

04/02/2016

Ann F.

Not well at all. I think I posted a review for them as well. I called them, talked about when I needed the service done and I think they just think they didn't respond or call back and I think it was because it wasn't a big enough job from him so he didn't want, or it wasn't going to lead in to a bigger job. He never called me back after we had agreed upon a day and the time and he never called me back. So I just got somebody else to do it.

Description of Work
I had asked him about making a drain, changing some fittings on a sink replacing that little rubber thing and something else that was not plumbing related, very small jobs.

03/29/2016

Hallie S.

It was great! The work was completed in one day and the end result was just what we were looking for.

Description of Work
Cut a hole in the wall as a pass through from the kitchen to the living room.

02/17/2016

Terry L.

There were complications inherent in project, but no complains and they stayed into the night to finish knowing i had a deadline.

Description of Work
Made extensive alerations to very old unattached garageand removed old sliding broken down doors and replaced with a new modern garage door with auto opener.

Category handyman service, doors

12/24/2015

Marla P.

Great work, great communications from both JB, the owner and his employee who completed the jobs.

Description of Work
Patched 4 3"x5" holes in garage ceiling and master bedroom wall where cable was run to the upstairs and put flooring down in the pull-down attic so could be used as storage space

Category drywall, handyman service

Thanks so much for the great review! Please call again if you need us in the future.

11/27/2015

Yvonne V.

Installed new roof after removing all old materials; installed venting shingles and a roof vent (did not exist before) and installed new roof, including flashing/waterproofing around chimney. Cleanup was very thorough. Job took one extra day due to rain. The crew were very professional, courteous and thorough,

Description of Work
Installed new roof.

Category handyman service, roofing, roof cleaning

Thanks for the great review! Please call if you have any future projects!

W.W. MV & SON PAINTING

We have the experience and dedication to bring your dreams to reality! We guarantee your satisfaction, and we won’t leave until the job is done right. Call or click to schedule a free estimate today!”

Offers by W.W. MV & SON PAINTING  on Angi
    A Fine Line LLC

We appreciate winning the AngiesList Super Service Award several years in a row. That tells us we're doing something right! Whether your project is one small room or your entire house, we can take care of it just fine. If it is a rental house or a James River plantation, we know how to make it shine!

R & B Painting

We are providers of construction services in the Richmond area. Our mission is to maintain the highest quality and professionalism from start to finish. We are confident in our results because all our jobs are custom needs to each home. We strive for the highest degree of quality products and workmanship. During the years in business, R & B Painting has satisfied many customers. It is our reputation of quality work, professionalism and customer service that our customers continue to rely on us for their needs. To understand the needs and expectations of our customers, we take great care to work and communicate with every customer in a professional manner. We base our reputation on service, safety, and quality. Call us today and find out how we can meet all of your repair, replacement, and installation needs!

Offers by R & B Painting on Angi
    Check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Financing Available

Siding - Vinyl & Hardi-Plank. Replacement Windows. Roofing. Decks & Screened Porches. Stamped Concrete.