Capitol Home Inspections

Founded 2004 • With Angi since June 2012

13541 East Boundary Road Suite110

Midlothian, VA 23112

Locally owned & family operated. We offer both residential and commercial inspections. Additional email - jenn@capitolinspections.com....

11/29/2017

D H.

reply to Mrs Mcmurdy from the homeowner. 1. You are lying! I did my communicating with your "business" through my real estate agent. You called me once, on the day we were leaving Virginia while our movers were loading the truck. I listened to your lecture for about 15 minutes (all the while the mover I was with in the garage was in stitches listening to you as you were that loud and incoherent on the phone). Whenever I tried to get a word in, you came back with the "we have to have a conversation" nonsense. I calmly restated the facts that I had sent my real estate agent. I did not yell at you, ever! You would not listen to what I had to say, so I hung up after listening to your lecture for longer than I should have. Next thing you'll come up with is that I cursed at you and sexually harassed you! Keep making excuses. They dig you in deeper. Yeah, your husband has NEVER made a mistake in his life, as you said. I think the last one on earth like that was Jesus Christ, wow. On the phone, you kept on saying we need to have a conversation - is that a Millennial thing? That doesn't mean anything to me without actually HAVING a conversation (which we never did) and you repeated it in your reply here again. 2. You also stated on the phone that if anything wrong was done at my property, the Buyers and/or their agent did it! That is when I hung up on you. At that point I knew it was pointless to continue listening to you....and then to try to blame the buyers and their agent.....anybody but the Mcmurdys! Borem told me that there was a "possibility" of failed coils, but they NEVER had seen two units go out at the same time AND they were operating properly before your husband arrived at my property. Borem also told me that if someone jacked the units back and forth between heat and cold, it could damage the units in that fashion. The instructions for the HVAC units stated the same thing. I had to run both units full bore for 4 days to try to keep the house somewhat livable and that could have made the problem worse by the time Borem got to look at the units. Borem is not going to interject themselves into this, they are smart business people. Guess we'll never know for sure, but I KNOW that the units were operating properly at 2 PM then not at 5 PM. Your “report” to the Buyers stated that “due to the outside temperature the heat pump was not tested in the heat mode”. Then how could the inside temperature go from 77 degrees at 2 PM to 93 degrees at 5 PM when the outside temperature was only 82? Was that statement in your report the truth? Oopsie! Why would I list a house with faulty HVAC? Why would I allow a home inspection with faulty HAVAC? That would be pretty stupid, wouldn't it, Mrs Mcmurdy? Because it did not happen. Something happened between 2 PM and 5 PM that day. I wasn't at the house, but your husband was. Hey, Mrs Mcmurdy, what about all the other damage done to my property? Tripped GFIs not reset, thermostats left on 80 degree hold, footprints on the sofa, insulation knocked off the crawlspace door, etc....oh, I guess that was the Buyers or their agent, not your perfect husband! What about the laugh I got from my builder's (MAJOR custom builder in Chesterfield) supervisor when asked per your husband to show him the ground wire connection. Seems like all others with similar construction in this area, under the crawlspace, under the visqueen and the house would not have been approved by the inspector if not present. He must have laughed for 5 minutes and kept saying you gotta be kidding me! Also, downspouts on the house were all running at least 3 feet away from the side of the house, plus another foot for the splashblock. Some are 8 feet. All ground slopes away from the house. But, your husband said that wasn't enough! Could someone need a lot more training on basic home construction and building code? Still waiting for an apology from you about ANYTHING that was amiss that day. Know I'll never get it from mrs and mr Perfect. Don't care now. Moved on, but I want to tell my story so others don't get what I did. Reflecting on the "yelling accusation, I guess I have to understand millennials better. Let's see, snowflake, never had a bad grade in school, mommy and daddy took care of everything, always got on the team and got a participation trophy, never told "No". I guess then some third party that came along with a legitimate complaint that only asked for the $450 home inspection fee as compensation, would be considered by the millennial to be yelling and making false accusations against "the perfect home inspector". Folks, who do you believe? Make up your own mind and act accordingly.

Description of Work
reply to Capital Home Inspections

11/15/2017

D H.

Copy of complaint filed with Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational regulation. Home inspection of 11512 Barrows Ridge Lane, Chesterfield, VA 23838 April 28, 2017 beginning at 2 PM and ending at 5 PM by Mr McMurdy of Capital Home Inspections. Weather, clear and hot – ALL TIME RECORD HIGH TEMPS FOR CENTRAL VIRGINIA this week. TWO a/c units set at 64 for night time and 77 during the day. Both were set on auto at those settings and were functioning properly at 2 PM on 4/28 when the homeowners left the property. Douglas Hugo walked 2 doors down the street to a neighbor’s house and waited outside until he saw Buyers, agent and Inspector leave at 5 PM. Upon re entering the home, Douglas Hugo found the following: It was 93 degrees when I stepped in the house. Both units were on "hold" and set to about 90 degrees. Most of the window blinds were askance as if they were quickly and carelessly dropped down. I had to raise and fix probably 80% of them. The GFI in the jack n jill bath was off - it was red and had to be reset. The GFI on the back porch was also off. This controlled the lights in the great room and the Verizon internet and cable TV, all of which were not functioning. It wasn't until I tried to turn on the lights in the great room much later after contacting Verizon, that I realized that the 2nd GFI might be tripped. A couch that we had in our loft had shoe prints on the seat cushions that someone was standing on it, likely to reach the window behind the sofa. When I went down in the crawl space to check on the Verizon issue, the first thing I found was that the insulation had come off the door, but the inspector said nothing about it being off, which he should have AND he failed to turn the light in the crawl space off. I had to re glue the insulation on the door. I also found that a large bat of insulation had been removed from the space between the blocks and the wood framing. This negates a lot of the insulating and "conditioned crawlspace" qualities. This loose insulation was very noticeable and was not present before the inspection. The home is 5 years old and the insulation has never come off before, let alone all of it, despite NUMEROUS contractors being under the house besides myself. I was the last one under the house prior to the inspection and the insulation was fine. The way the door is manufactured, if one is not familiar with the type of door, or is careless, the insulation could be torn off the door by jerking it open. From 5 PM till about 8 PM, we had a 93 degree home and had no Verizon. We had no Air conditioning from 5 PM on Friday April 28 until Tuesday May 2 during a time of 90 degree plus temperatures, when our contractor added Freon and the units began functioning again. I could have stopped there and maybe gotten away with $200, but the contractor said BOTH units had leaks in them that the coils needed to be replaced, which I did to the cost of $1600. I DID THE RIGHT THING. Our electric contractor said he had never seen two units go out at exactly the same time, but would not speculate as to cause, probably because of potential legal liability. As I asked my realtor, would I list a home that I knew did not have functioning HVAC units? Would I allow a home inspection on a home I knew had non functioning HVAC units? The answer is a resounding, NO! Results: I am out $1600, which the home inspector refused to acknowledge even some responsibility for when all I asked is that he forfeit his fee to me of $475. He refused to talk with me on the phone, sending his wife to return my phone call in which she just kept repeating that her husband “has never made a mistake” and “we need to have a conversation” over and over and over. I would ask the Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation to punish Mr McMurdy as you see fit, up and to terminating his license to operate in the state of Virginia. I would not wish this “home inspection from ****” on anyone else in Virginia. Thank you for your attention to my complaint.

Description of Work
home inspection for sale of property. I did not pay for, select nor hire the home inspector, however, the home inspector did inspect my property.

Category home inspection

Mr. [Member Name Removed], It is unfortunate that we were not able to have a conversation with you. It is true that in these situations, we do need to be able to have a conversation to be able to share information with you. However, we could not do that as you continued to yell and hang up on me when we attempted to speak to you. We did follow up with your concerns and received information from Borum Electric, who actually conducted repairs at your home. They advised us that Rheem had problems with the inside coils made in 2010 and 2011 and that many were developing leaks and needed to be replaced. In addition, he also said that other HVAC companies were having similar problems. They felt that it was a quality control issue with the supplier of the coils to the ac companies. The defect found was not one that Ray could have caused in the time he was present for the inspection. Both the Realtor and client were present and when we are inspecting a home, we treat it with the same respect as if it were our own. While I am "Ray's wife," I am also an owner in our business and was very capable of having this discussion with you, had you been willing. We have been in business for 14 years and have never had a complaint against our company through DPOR. We will follow up with the to provide the necessary information to clear up any misinformation provided. We wish you the best in the sale of your home.

06/28/2017

Gilbert H.

Absolutely superb inspection. Every detail was covered. Identified problems with HVAC system that would have cost us more than $1500 to repair. We were able to get all items fixed by the sellers. Ray is totally customer service oriented and provided an excellent run down of all issues at the end of the inspection. His report was clear, concise, easy to understand. Highly recommend this company!

Description of Work
Needed to get home inspected before purchasing.

09/26/2016

Anne F.

Very friendly on phone and answered all of my questions. Service was great- very thorough and detailed report!

Description of Work
Home inspection

10/11/2014

Shannon M.

It was a great experience! As a Realtor I have worked with Capitol Home Inspections on numerous occasions and have appreciated their work for years, however having used them personally really drove home how wonderfully knowledgeable they are. They don't just inspect a home and send a timely report, they also educate the home owner on the finer details of what makes a home tick. Capitol Home Inspections really raises the bar and I am proud to recommend them to my clients and trust them with my own properties. If you are looking for an exceptional Richmond VA Home Inspector, look no further!

Description of Work
Thoroughly inspection the exterior and interior of the home we were purchasing.

10/10/2014

Deb O.

As a local REALTOR, I have used or recommended Capitol Home Inspections for over 10 years. In every single instance their inspectors have provided extraordinary service. This most recent inspection by Tim Gabay was just as professional and thorough as I have come to expect.

Description of Work
Performed whole house inspection and radon inspection

09/27/2013

Thomas G.

'Great experience and quality work. The owner does all of the work himself, not one of those companies who sends someone out. I called and booked the appointment through the owners wife who was a pleasure to work with. She explained everything, how the inspection would be performed, her husbands qualifications, payment, etc. The day of the inspection Ray arrived right on time. He did a very through inspection (4 hours), he took his time, he was organized and very detailed oriented. Lots of pictures and video of the defects of the home and for things that were an FYI to keep an eye on for the future. Over the course of my life, this was the 5th home that I had an inspection on and Ray was as good or better than what I was expecting. The report came later that same night and it really helped me prepare for the things that I needed to have corrected before agreeing to settle on the house. We just moved to Virginia and I found Capitol Home Inspections on Angies List and hit a grand slam home run with this inspection company. Look no further it doesn't get any better than this. Thank you Ray and Jenn for a great inspection and for being a company that I can recommend to anyone who asks!

Description of Work
Home inspection for a property that we were consider purchasing.

07/12/2013

David L.

Using this service saved us lots of money in the future. The first home we put an offer on had some major issues that needed to be fixed. We couldn't come to an agreement with the seller so that sale didn't happen. The next house had a few issues that needed to be fixed that we wouldn't have seen without Ray completely checking things out. He did a great job, top to bottom, and I would definitely use Capitol again.

Description of Work
We used Capitol for two home inspections when buying our house

02/19/2013

Gene M.

Ray provided a very thorough inspection. Ray provided pictures and professional advice of what was needed.

Description of Work
Home inspector Ray McMuedy inspected the entire house outside and inside. Was very thorough and very professional. "Highly recommend"!

01/07/2013

Debra S.

Ray was on time, professional, thorough, performed inspection in a timely manner, completed and delivered report same day as inspection.

Description of Work
Home Inspection