Bartlett Tree Experts

Founded 1907 • With Angi since May 2010

PO Box 398

Marshall, VA 20116

Bartlett Tree Experts has been providing scientific tree care since 1907. A 3rd generation, family owned business, our mission is the maintenance and care of the health and beauty of trees and shrubs. We are an international organization, with offices in Canada, England and Ireland. Our Research Laboratories advises us about the latest technological advances in arboriculture and assists our arborists with training updates. The laboratory networks with professionals at universities, government agencies, and allied industry groups. This enables us to provide state-of-the art procedures and techniques to our clients. Our arborists consult with other professionals for common projects and community interests. Our unique position in the green industry helps us further arboriculture as a science and a profession. TCIA Accredited, ISA Member, TCIA Member. Additional DBA - The FA Bartlett Tree Expert Co. ...

05/02/2021

Paula H.

Bartlett staff knowledge of disease and treatments for infestation is excellent, their natural pruning is artistic, and the staff are personable, competent, and well trained. They take soil samples when needed, fertilize appropriately, and the garden is gorgeous.

Description of Work
I have hired Bartlett for the last five years for pruning my garden and trees and pest management.

08/22/2019

Christiaan G.

Based on my experience, this is an excellent company. Thomas is a first-rate arborist who has come to my property several times to diagnose issues and recommend treatments. These have worked. Staff is responsive, punctual and courteous. It's a pleasure to deal with his company and they deliver good results.

Description of Work
tree fertilization and disease control

03/08/2019

Joseph H.

Had some 2-story trees growing into my roof. They came out and trimmed them back. Painless and easy. I've also had them come out two other times to look at some sick trees and a leaning tree. In both cases they actually advised against taking action at that point and recommended keeping an eye on things. I don't know anything about trees so they could've easily taken advantage but didn't. Very trustworthy, quality work.

Description of Work
Tree trimming

11/02/2018

Bruce E K.

Perfectly! Could not have gone better.

Description of Work
Had three trees removed, a lot of pruning done on other trees and massive poison ivy vine cut.

09/27/2018

Carol G.

Excellent work. Very experienced crew(s). Knowledgeable arborist. Very professional.

Description of Work
Pruning and pest control

03/07/2018

Susan W.

Great. I was not there when the service men came.

Description of Work
An ash tree needed pesticide treatment for serious Emerald ash borer that destroys the tree.

07/05/2017

Jerry C.

Everything taken care of except for limb on power line, which Bartlett said they were not allowed to touch. They said that they would call Dominion Electric to take care of the limb on the power line. I don't know if they did call Dominion Electric, because I had to call Dominion twice to get the limb removed. Bartlett also took care of a number of other dead limbs. They spent a full day on site.

Description of Work
One limb of a tree had partially fallen in neighbor's porch. Needed roof replaced and limbs of other trees were too close to roof for men to work on roof. One limb from one of my trees had fallen on neighbor's electric power line.

06/14/2017

Jeffrey G.

Excellent. Highly professional, punctual, friendly, and extremely informative. The staff happily dispensed extra information to help me manage my trees and shrubs. It's not cheap, but I have several very large, old trees that need care and I will continue to use Bartlett.

Description of Work
Cabling of a large tree, pruning dead branches, deep fertilization, and pest treatment for azaleas and other shrubs.

02/27/2016

D.M. C.

We lost two large (50 ft.) trees in a windstorm and, in falling, they damaged other trees and shrubs. Some tree removal services eagerly offered to cut down those perfectly healthy, attractive, but slightly damaged trees! We decided we needed to talk to a "real" arborist who loves trees as much as we do. Bartlett Tree Experts' local representative -- Mr. Bradshaw, a licensed arborist -- is extremely knowledgeable and and informative. He helped us to identify many unusual tree species on our property. He recognized problems we hadn't noticed, as well as those we had. We now consider him "our" tree expert, and we appreciate that he has access to his company's internal resources, such as in-house laboratories He is also always available to us to answer any questions. We only wish we had met him sooner.... Our only "negative" experience is that after trees and stumps were removed the workmen did not leave the area completely raked down to ground level as per the description of their task. On the other hand, after treatments our trees and shrubs are noticeably healthier and thriving, for unexpectedly quick results. Bartlett Tree Experts is very pricey, but you are paying for an extensive network of experts and a high reputation for quality. Their appeal would be greatest to the owners of estate-type properties concerned about maintaining historic or beautiful trees.

Description of Work
Examined all trees on property for health issues. Removed two fallen trees, ground into wood chips, and ground stumps. Treated trees and shrubs for insect infestations over several sessions. Tested soil, and fertilized trees that needed help.

12/15/2015

D.M. C.

They have a local representative who works in this area who is very good. They've been doing some work on an ongoing basis.

Description of Work
I've used Bartlett Tree Experts for tree service. They were doing some treatments for some problems. There was some fertilizing and there was some pest treatment as well.

Category pest control, lawn treatment, tree service

04/09/2015

Linda N.

They were very professional, showed up on time. They let us keep the wood for firewood and that drastically cut the cost of our bill.

Description of Work
They cut down a 60ft silver maple that was rotting and was very close to our house.

01/15/2014

George M.

The work turned out fine. They have done two jobs for me. From beginning to end, it was a great experience. The crew was good to work with and well equipped for the job. They were very cautious with the trimming since some of the branches were over the house. The communication was great and pricing was fair. I will probably use them again in the future. I see no room for improvement. They were all very professional from start to finish.

Description of Work
We had Bartlett out for tree trimming on 60 foot oak trees and others.

01/15/2014

Doug K.

They did a very good job. I was happy with their service. This was right after Sandy, and they were very responsive to my calls. They had good communication and follow up. I would recommend their services. They even handled the hauling of the debris. They also ground up some tree branches into mulch and left it for me.

Description of Work
I had them remove some trees that were damaged during Sandy.

01/07/2014

Michael T.

They did fine. They have been caring for this tree for many years.

Description of Work
Fertilized huge tree

12/17/2013

Lee L.

Perfectly ~ we are grateful for their service!

Description of Work
Came out in the Fall of 2013 at our request to check on a huge pin oak tree in our front yard. Another tree company had told us the tree should come down - we did not want to lose the tree and certainly did not want to incur the expense of a large job. Have used Bartlett in the past and called them for a second opinion. The problem was correctly diagnosed and a recommendation made for treatment in the Spring. They put us on their Spring schedule, came out automatically to treat the tree and sent the bill in the mail. They are well educated and trained arborists who know what they are doing. They love tress and work with you to save them. We have had Bartlett come in for assessment, consultation and recommendations for more than 10 years.

06/10/2013

Jennifer C.

Arborist was angry that we were seeking a second opinion from him about trees that another company recommended we remove.

Description of Work
Arborist was asked to check two trees we are concerned about because of their proximity to our house.

05/03/2013

Alice S.

Bartlett Tree Experts are arborists, so they did a nice job. They gave me a quote and kept to that and they kept to their schedule so I was pleased and I like the way the trees look. I have used them a few times. There had to be a spray in the fall and the spring on this damaged tree.

Description of Work
I have used Bartlett Tree Experts, there was a tree that was damaged so they helped repair it.

03/14/2013

Kellie T.

The Barlett representative came out and gave me an estimate of the cost for pruning. I called this company because they were one of a few companies at the time that had an arborist, fully licensed and bonded and took work in Frederick. The gentleman that came to give the estimate (I've forgotten his name) was professional in appearance as well as demeanor. He gave me an estimate of the work, carefully took notes of all my concerns, gave me professional advice about the pruning, and even gave me much needed advice about specimen trees on my property. The crew showed up on the expected date, on time. They were all courteous and efficient leaving me very little to tidy up. I will always call Barlett for any lawn, tree, landscaping projects. They are more costly than others but well worth every cent.

Description of Work
We have a cherry tree in the small front yard of our townhouse that was pruned. Debris hauled away and yard cleaned up.

12/17/2012

Jane P.

Very well. Timely, courteous and professional service, willingness to make additional cuts where requested. Balanced pruning. The only thing I would have asked them to do differently if I had noticed in time, would have been to ask that the large tree close to the house be pruned rounded all the way around, not just on the sides facing out, as apparently is their usual practice.

Description of Work
Pruning of 1 large and 2 small ornamental trees, removal of 2 large evergreen shrubs and stump grinding of each.

08/03/2012

Alan K.

His crew tip-toed around a new foundation with no breaks or tears to anything or anybody. Just great work, and a reminder that in the tree business there's no gain in cutting corners.

Description of Work
Can't say enough about Kevin Carr and his team at Bartlett. We needed to have a major tree removed for a remodel and, even in the wake of the Big Derecho last month, Kevin moved mountains to get this done.

03/15/2012

Arthur M.

Very good response time to inquiry about estimate. Prompt and on-time arrival for the estimate. Estimate was prepared and sent out via email itemized to all possible work that could be done. I selected the areas that I wanted done and the business scheduled it for approximately 3 months later due to a back-log. This was not a problem to me. Unfortunately, our area also incurred a heavy early snow while leaves where still on trees that caused an even larger back-log for the company. The company finally did the work about 5 months after the estimate. They were good at communicating the back-log. I didn't have a problem with the delay in the service being done.

Description of Work
Trim the crown of some taller trees. Trimmed branches on younger trees that would lead to issues as the tree grows. Reinforced Y-branched areas of the trunk on 2 trees to prevent from splitting as the trees age.

03/06/2012

ROBERT C.

We had excellent service from them mostly in the care of trees that were not doing too well. They might be doing services like tree removal, I don’t know about that. But we have always hired them for trees that needed help. I haven’t done any comparison shopping. We used them when we lived in Indiana and we use them now.

Description of Work
Bartlett Tree Experts – 41212 came three different times last year to treat one of our trees. They started in late spring and went through to late summer.

Category tree service

Thank you for your comments. We do offer an array of services which does include tree pruning and takedowns, in addition, of course, to the treatments and fertilizations. We appreciate your patronage and look forward to serving you again in the future.

07/06/2011

John V.

They’re great people and very professional. All of their employees are top notch and do excellent work. They’re very clean in the process, and a pleasure to be around. I'd highly recommend them to anyone that needs tree work done.

Description of Work
We had an 85 year old maple tree removed.

01/25/2011

LILA T.

I signed a contract with Jaime Woods and I never heard from him. I called and spoke with the manager, and I let him know I didn?t want the service any longer, since I was so displease. The manager said he would contact Jaime. After speaking with Jaime it appears he had misplaced the contract. I allowed him to come out, and he did 93% of the work, but he left one section unfinished. He never came back even after I contacted him by mail and phone.

Description of Work
I had pruning and tree trimming work done.

11/22/2010

ROBERT C.

It has turned out fine. They are on time and they do what they promise to do.

Description of Work
They are saving a little tree in the front yard. They are doing some fertilization and spraying.

Category tree service

Thank you for taking the time to post your comment regarding the work that was done at your home. We appreciate your patronage and look forward to working with you again in the near future.