Southland Insulators

Founded 1986 • With Angi since April 2008

4.3

When you choose Southland, you choose quality and expertise that is unmatched. We care about our company, our industry, our customers and our reputation. We have 23 years serving the Virginia area. We are an NAHB certified contractor. A GPS tracking system is installed on all our trucks. We stay in touch with our crews at all times and know exactly when our crew will arrive at your job. We employ over 60 installers. Our warehouse always contains more than 15 trailer loads of insulation in all sizes and R-values. Buying from several manufacturers enhances our buying power and that saving savings can be passed on to you, our customers. We have a complete Home Performance department to ensure your existing home is as energy efficient as possible. Since our beginning in 1986, Southland Insulators has established an enviable reputation for quality and achievement in residential insulation. We at Southland have never aspired to be the biggest insulation company, but due to industry consolidation, we have become the largest independent insulation contractor in the state of Virginia. While not striving to be the biggest, we do strive to be the best. We have established guidelines to ensure each one of our customers, from the individual purchasing a custom home to the large publicly traded homebuilder, receives the best possible information and service regarding the insulating of their home....

Prudent Homes

Prudent Homes (703) 361-7600 is a full service insulation contractor established in 2003. We are one of the top rated contractors based in the Washington Metropolitan area. Servicing Northern Virginia, Maryland, and Washington D.C. Prudent Homes is a 9 time Angie's List Super Service Award Winner. We are accredited by the Spray Polyurethane Foam Alliance in the science of spray foam building envelopes. We are Class A Residential Home Builder with a Class A Building Envelope Specialty Designation.

Offers by Prudent Homes on Angi
Discount Energy Services

Discount Energy Services has been insulating homes in Northern Virginia and the Washington, D.C. Metro area for over 30 years, and we have insulated more older homes than any of the other insulation contractors. The owner has over 40 years experience, and has always been specialized in insulating the older homes. Please call to have questions about your home insulation needs personally answered, and for an appointment for your free insulation estimate. After consulting with us, you may decide which type of insulation, and how much insulation you want after we give you your insulation suggestions, and we will also let you know what we recommend most. We will send our energy conservation specialist to your home to measure, and give you your free written prices for the energy saving options best suited for your home, whenever you are ready. Thanks again for checking with us. We guarantee the best job at the best price, and look forward to your call.

Offers by Discount Energy Services on Angi
Northern Virginia Insulators

Northern Virginia Insulators is a U.S. Armed Forces veteran owned and operated insulation company focused on providing excellent customer service, value and professional workmanship. Northern Virginia Insulators was established on the basis of integrity and hopes of earning their customers trust in the process of servicing them. We will give you the fairest price in the industry and if by chance we are undersold, we will make every effort possible to meet any competitors price. We don't practice up-selling to our customers on services they don't need. We will investigate your home for possible solutions and advise you on the most affordable and economically sound ways for improving your living conditions. We specialize in dry insulation applications to include blown-in and rolled/batt solutions. Armed with an array of insulation products, we will discuss the positives and negatives of each option until we find the product that suits you. We are a small company with no vision to become the largest insulation house in the area. We want to bring you a personal and up close approach to servicing your needs. Retaining that personal appeal when communicating with our customers is important to us. We don't want our customers feeling lost in the process of servicing them. Estimates are performed by the Owner and all work is performed by or supervised by the Owner as well. Customers will have direct contact with the owner of the company from start to finish of all projects. In addition, Northern Virginia Insulators does not use subcontractors. We won't trust our work in the hands of those with no vested interest in the results you see and ultimately live with. Improving your living conditions and giving you peace of mind that the work was done with care and accuracy is our primary goal. Appointments are available 7 days a week.

06/29/2018

dan S.

had to request several times to get all of the firestopping done to pass inspection. Employee said it was too hard. Some of the air selant work was sloppy. extra provision on contract was to use sound attenuation insulation on ALL bathroom walls. they said that some of the bath walls adjoined to closets and didn't need attenuation. But the contract was explicit in saying all bathroom walls. I don't like to have to argue contract specifics. The proposal was vague.

Description of Work
whole house new construction fire stopping and insulation

Category insulation

Thank you for your comment. We have been in touch with your former employer regarding this review. They do not have any concerns about our work today nor during your time with their company. If you have specific concerns we welcome you to contact us directly. You are also welcome to reach out to your former employer to share any specific concerns.

06/28/2017

ANNA S.

Great! A ceiling was damaged (drywall), but they very quickly had that repaired. Team was on time and finished all of the work very efficiently, leaving the workspace clean.

Description of Work
New insulation on basement walls and new insulation in attic.

12/23/2014

Todor T.

While they did a good job on the insulation, on both occasions that they were supposed to come and do the work, they did not show up. The first time they were supposed to come to install wall insulation and partially finish the attic they did not show up and thus the county insulation inspection failed. After that, they finished that part of the job and it was done well. However, they forgot to blow-in insulation for the rest of the attic. After a couple of months, they were scheduled to come and finish the job, but again they did not show up, but insured us that they will on the next day. Most of the day passed, and at 4pm, they said their machine was broken, so they would do it in yet another day. That did not happen, and again a no show. Finally after a week, they came and finished the insulation. They do good work but their scheduling and organization is horrible. Thus, I would stay away form them in the future.

Description of Work
Southland did attic and wall insulation on our house. The work was done as part of a subcontract to an insurance claim work.

03/20/2014

luz I.

I called southland insulators and got the phone number from my General contractor. My gc told me that the existing insulation on the attic was not enough. The estimator came on time and gave me price with in a day. I didn't had the chance to compare the prices with any other company but price seemed ok. So we decided to hire them. They came with in a week after we signed the contract and completed all the work in a day. They were very professional and cleaned after them, i would recommend them to everyone. Great company.

Description of Work
Insulated the attic of my house and partial basement

02/16/2014

Franklin L.

The estimator never showed, and has never attempted to call to explain why or reschedule.

Description of Work
Schedule an appointment to get quote on spray foam insulation.

01/10/2014

Nancy H.

Everyone was terrific. The work was done promptly. I thought they did a great job with the work and I would definitely recommend them to anyone that needs insulation work done.

Description of Work
They put in spray in foam insulation between the garage ceiling and the living space above it that has a bedroom. They put new insulation in the attic.

11/30/2013

Stuart R.

Their ?solution? was a HORRENDOUS DISASTER: When Southland sprayed the foam in our house they should have told us to leave the house for at least 24 hours. This is one of the first and foremost guidelines from the EPA. Instead, I worked in my office on the second floor keeping an eye on the installers and breathed the chemicals they sprayed. Southland should have provided ventilation after they sprayed the foam ? SPFs expel gasses that are very toxic as they solidify. They never told us this and let my pregnant wife, 1 year-old child, and me sleep among the fumes they?d trapped inside my house. My wife lost the baby three months later. Southland denied that there could be any foam smell in my house more than a day after the installation. Month after month I complained but they said it would go away. How could it when they had sprayed over any way for the smell to escape but into the second floor where we sleep? I rented two industrial fans with wide tubing to pull the air out of the attic and out my closet window. I had to do this throughout a very cold winter. My heating bill tripled and my family and I slept in the basement for seven months. We still smell the foam especially on hot days. What are we breathing? An air quality specialist found several toxic and carcinogenic gases, which we are now addressing. This has already cost us $1000. More than one roof specialist has told us that we have now shortened the lifespan of our roof rafters by covering them with foam and by closing the airflow from our soffits. We are remediating all of these issues to make the house habitable and safe, which has cost us time and money. Southland, a company we thought we could trust, made terrible recommendations and installed a truly deadly product in our house. They made no efforts to remediate the problem. They never owned any responsibility for not venting our house properly after installation. The president never responded to my questions. Ever. They never even offered as much as an apology.

Description of Work
Southland installed spray polyurethane foam (SPF) on the rafters our unfinished attic. That means: They sprayed 10 inches of foam in our attic on the underside of our roof They covered and sprayed over the air channels that came up from the soffits under the eaves The covered and sprayed over the two attic fans in the roof. By closing off all the airflow in the attic, their “solution” was to make the attic indoor “conditioned” space and to encourage airflow only between our second floor bedroom space and the attic.

10/12/2013

nicole M.

We left messages with this company multiple times to get an estimate. The only reason why we tried more than once was because the company was recommended by our contractor. During the week and a half we were able to obtain 3 other quotes that were essentially in line with each other price-wise. We eventually gave up and selected a different company we found via Angie's list. They didn't even call back the first time we left a message. The only reason this company did not get a full on "F" is that they did attempt to call back, even if it wasn't in any sort of timely manner.

Description of Work
Attic Insulation

08/19/2013

Jennifer K.

The entire experience was a nightmare. The sales person, who visited twice to provide a more accurate quote, "left" the company before the work was performed. There were items on the proposal that I specifically questioned and was told not to worry about them. Parking permits being my biggest concern given the fact we live in the District and street parking can be tricky -- we were told not to worry about it. Visit one from Southland - they arrive with a 28ft box truck. We did not secure parking permits because the sales person told us we didn't need them. Southland left because there was no place to park their truck. Visit two - the crew arrives to tell us that the rooms need to be ENTIRELY clear of all furniture - something our sales person should have told us but didn't. We were also told that the sales rep quoted ceiling removal for our garage - something outside the scope / capabilities of Southland. After moving as much furniture as we could and agreeing that they would need to come back for a thrid visit after our contractor removed the garage ceiling (that they were supposed to do), the team started their work. About 45 minutes into spraying the foam, the Southland equipment catches fire. Luckily, there was no damage to our house or their crew. After trying to swap out the original hoses (that caught fire) with spare hoses from their truck, they couldn't get generators/pumps in the truck restarted after they hit the emergency shut-off switch to help stop the fire. Visit three which was already scheduled was necessary to finish the upstairs as well as the garage. Visit three ? the crew arrived. No fires. Equipment worked but in the midst of spraying the foam in our garage ceiling the team knocked electrical wiring loose causing us to lose power in the back half of our house. Their field supervisor came out and informed us that the problem was beyond their scope and we needed to have our electrician look at the problem. One after-hours visit and several hundred dollars later, our electrician was able to resolve the problem. In all, a job that should have taken a day took over 3.5 weeks. This entire time, the back half of my house was without a ceiling or insulation. When a woman from the Southland office called to see how things went with the job, I told her the entire saga and she promised to drive this to resolution (she was actually pleasant and apologetic?and no longer with Southland). Once the electrician provided our GC with an invoice, the only consideration given by Southland was to deduct the cost of the electrician for the bill. When we tried to call the office to discuss the further consideration for our overall experience, we were routed to Wayne. Wayne proceeded to tell us that the fire was an act of god. He also ?explained? that the problems with the parking and the parts of the proposal that fell outside of Southland?s normal scope/capabilities were our fault not theirs. Customer service is clearly not Wayne?s strong suit?thus this lengthy post on Angie?s list. Southland came recommended to me by a friend. Unfortunately, I didn?t realize that her GC handled everything with Southland. Perhaps they?re nicer to GC?s?my experience was awful.

Description of Work
We used Southland to spray foam insulate the back half of our historic row home in DC.

07/02/2013

Davi B.

Southland Insulators were great. I have been in the energy efficiency industry for 15 years in New England and I've hired and overseen insulation contractors for large multifamily properties. However, our family is new to Virginia and I didn't know any insulators in this area. My friend had used them on her house and I decided to give Southland Insulators a try when insulating my attic on our 1950s house. I was very pleased with the job and they really stand out compared to some of the insulation/air sealing contractors I've worked with. A huge part of energy savings is air sealing and Southland Insulators team did an incredible job air sealing all the gaps in our attic. They did all the air sealing by the book. Their air sealing equipment actually broke during the job, so they needed to come back an extra day. I think many insulation contractors would probably just skip the air sealing piece (because most homeowners don't realize how inmportant it is) and just go onto the insulation in a situation like this. Instead, their team came back an extra day to get the work done right. Our house is much cooler this summer as compared to last summer, because of the insulation and air sealing. I would definitely recommend them.

Description of Work
Southland Insulators insulated and air sealed our attic of our 1950s house. They also removed the old insulation. They used blown in cellulose R-49 insulation and did extensive air sealing.

Category insulation

Residential, commercial, retrofit, icynene spray foam insulation, injectable wall foam, masonry foam insulation, fiberglass, cellulose, crawl space encapsulation, sound control insulation energy audits, blower door tests, duct blaster & infrared camera thermal imaging

MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Check, Visa, Financing Available