JW CONTRACTING, Inc.

Founded 1995 • With Angi since August 2005

JW Contracting is a company specializing in swimming pool renovation and repair for inground gunite and shotcrete pools. We have been in business since 1995. We can transform your entire backyard into a great outdoor living space. JWC uses all it's own employees to do all phases of your construction project or repair....

Anthony & Sylvan Pools

FREE 3D Design Consultation for Angie's List Members, Call Now! Serving pool owners for over 70 years, Anthony & Sylvan brings experience, service and creativity to designing your backyard oasis. We understand how different our terrain can be, even within a fairly short distance. From your very first free, no-obligation consultation to closing your pool in the fall, our design consultants and pool experts work with you every step of the way. We also offer renovations and maintain your pool throughout the season with regular pool service and all of the pool chemicals, equipment and toys at our retail store. Contact an Anthony & Sylvan Design Consultant today, or visit us at our retail store for all of your pool supply needs. Also services the District of Columbia, Baltimore City and portions of Prince George's, Chesterfield, Jefferson, Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Carroll, and Harford Counties.

12/06/2021

Karen T.

What an amazing company with great customer service and skilled workers! We were referred by the company that opens/closes our pool each year and we very pleased. Jim and his entire team were very responsive and I couldn’t believe how quickly and efficiently they did the job. I would highly recommend!!

Description of Work
Pool white coat & re-tile

07/06/2020

Terrance W.

It looks great! They were easy to work with, reasonably priced, professional. The end product was as advertised. Make sure you follow the start up instructions.

Description of Work
Re-plaster 30,000 gallon pool

01/29/2020

FRANCIS T.

DONT HIRE JW CONTRACTING!!! Jim was very easy to work with. He appeared honest and straight forward, that was until problems with our plaster occurred. . His Crew came out on time and they appeared to be very efficient. The entire staff was pleasant. We had our pool redone in fall of 2018. It was closed soon thereafter. When we opened our pool last spring we noticed some discoloration that continued to progress. We had several conversations with Jim regarding what had occurred. He came out twice to inspect the pool. Each time was several weeks after the call, His explanation was , "there could be any reason this occurred, one could have been something you added to the pool". We consulted several other companies who stated there is nothing you could add to the pool to cause this. The plaster was most likely not mixed right or it was hard troweled. We then came across other issues that they pointed out in regards to plaster application. Jim refused to stand by his work or even entertain the possibility that this is what had occurred. We are now left with a pool that is grey and dirty looking. . Of course first world problems right, but in the end if your looking for a pool contractor to stand by his work, JW contracting is not that company.

Description of Work
Re plastering of our pool

Category pool cleaners

Just seeing this or I would have responded sooner... I apologize that your white plaster pool finish does not meet your approval. However, when the plaster was installed the crew did an A+ job and left the pool brillant white, clean and ready for operation. Our plaster crew actually send us pictures showing the finish product including the new coping and tile. It was beautiful! Unfortunately, whoever added the pool chemicals to the pool, has caused the discoloration in your plaster finish. When I visited the pool the following season after the plaster was installed, it was clear that the discoloration occurred irregularly below the waterline tile around the top 2' of the pool. The remainder of the pool was not affected. Improperly adding chemicals or just pouring undiluted chemicals around the pool, especially with original 30+ year old copper piping can be a big issue. We convey to all of our costumers ahead of time, how important it is to follow the startup instructions provided to ensure the pool finish cures properly. Unfortunately in this case, the application of the chemicals caused the problem. JWC does stand behind their work, but cannot warranty something that was caused by someone else. So it makes for a sad ending...

12/07/2017

Robert I.

Excellent work! Jim is great to work with as is his office staff. The crew that worked on my pool was great, hard working and very professional. You can also tell that Jim takes good care of his work crew. With the exception of gas and electric, Jim does everything else in-house. This makes for a better job and everything he does is first rate. My only disappointment was not knowing about Jim when I had the pool built as I would have certainly used him. He's my goto guy now.

Description of Work
replastering of the pool, finding two leaks, removing inflow pop up returns and convert to conventional system. Replace heater.

11/05/2016

JOHN C.

Went great. Called for an estimate and Jim came by to complete when I was at work. Received via email a few days later. Much less than the original company that also sent an estimate. Accepted and scheduled the work a few weeks later. A crew of 4-5 guys came, removed all the old caulk, and recaulked the entire surface. Even in a few perimeter places that I didn't expect by much appreciated. Looks great, better than original job. Crew cleaned up great too.

Description of Work
Pool caulking on cement deck.

09/16/2016

george E.

Jim sent out his entire crew that had done the original work - they completely removed the old caulking and installed new. Incredible customer service. I was not expecting such a great response. Highly recommend JW.

Description of Work
JW renovated my pool in May of this year. I noticed that the caulking between the sidewalk and the coping had separated some what over the months (September) and I asked Jim Walsh if he could have his people come out and "touch up the minor separations".

Category pool cleaners,swimming pools

06/20/2016

Gregory D.

JW Contracting is a class act, from Jim’s no BS evaluation of what the job will involve, to a work crew that are very talented, extremely hard working, and exceptionally neat. The crew showed up on June 7, 2016 to perform what I would describe as a “major rehabilitation” of my 40+ year old pool. The job involved removing all the coping and tile, demo and reconstruction of the entire bond beam (111 linear feet), complete removal (down to the concrete) of at least 75% of the plaster. Re-installation of re-bar, forming and pouring the new bond beam, installing new coping and tile, applying the new Quartz plaster, and finally having the water delivered. I was swimming in my pool the afternoon of June 16! When Jim stated that once his crew shows up to start on my pool they will show up every day until the job is finished he wasn’t fooling. The only day they did not work was Sunday, as any reasonable person should expect. Other than a beautiful new pool there is virtually no evidence that any kind of work was done in my yard. Jim’s estimate was higher than the others I received but that is because he gave me a truly legitimate estimate of what needed to be done. He spent much more time in my yard the day he came to evaluate the job so his estimate included a lot of work (that was absolutely necessary) the others did not. If I removed the additional work his estimate included it would have been right there with all the others, and like all the others it would have resulted in some very ugly surprises. Another thing that really impressed me was how quickly Jim got back to us with answers to our questions. This was an expensive undertaking which involved work we were not familiar with so I had a lot of questions, many of which I’m sure were quite elementary to someone who has been in this business for a long time. No matter what the question, Jim’s response always came in short order and in terms one could easily understand. Bottom line, if you want quality work, performed by true craftsmen, a realistic estimate, and an extremely responsive company owner, give JW Contracting a call.

Description of Work
Complete refurbish of my 42 year old pool

06/01/2016

george E.

on time and in budget great crew quality work quality material hope I don't have but would use them again

Description of Work
replace coping and tile. Clean plaster and install drain to bring up to code. Repair side.

05/21/2016

Sarah E.

Fantastic experience from start to finish. From the beginning we liked Jim's presence and knowledge. His price was slightly higher than the other quotes, but all quotes were within $2,000. However, well worth the higher price. The workers were no bull, hard working and working well which produced a job well done. There were ZERO signs that they were even there other than a wonderful looking pool. Plus great communication via email. Other than only getting sometimes an evenings notice that they were coming the next morning, we can only say wonderful things about our experience with JW Contracting, INC and highly recommend their services.

Description of Work
Coping, tile and plaster.

05/13/2016

Raj B.

Did not go well at all. An "F" grade and we didn't even get any work done! I had contacted JW Contracting, Inc. located in Manassas, VA for an estimate on a variety of pool repair work. Obviously, being a smart consumer, I was seeking multiple estimates from a variety of companies because I have a variety of items pertaining to the pool that need repaired or replaced. Owner James Walsh came by but turned back without ringing the bell or talking to me. Basically, Mr. Walsh was annoyed because he noticed another pool company there (they had provided me an estimate and were leaving). Then, I get this extremely rude and unprofessional email from Mr. Walsh that is more than self-explanatory (see below). This is exactly NOT how to run a business and this is NOT a company you want to work with, especially when you are dealing with pools. I simply would NOT trust someone who is so unprofessional. Angie's List is a great place but please do your research before having anyone come into your house to work on major project like pools. From: Jim Walsh Date: May 12, 2016 at 1:07:00 PM EDT To: Subject: pool appt Just wanted to let you know, I did come to look at the pool yesterday. I arrived at 1pm just like I said I would. To my surprise, Millennium Pools was there. I certainly welcome the competition, however I think it's rude to schedule 2 people to come at the same time to look at your job. So, I'm not interested in working with you. Good Luck.... James Walsh JW Contracting, Inc.

Description of Work
Nothing!!!!

Category pool cleaners

Coping, Tile, Stone, Bond Beam Repair, Brick, Retaining Walls, Decks, Plaster/Pebble/Quartz/Polished Pool Surfaces, Plumbing, Skimmers, Leak Detection, Demolition, Excavation, Steel, Sandblasting, Pool Covers, Pumps, Filters, Heaters, Power Washing

We do not provide service or repair for fiberglass, vinyl liner or above ground pools.We do not provide chemicals or weekly service.