JW CONTRACTING, Inc.

Founded 1995 • With Angi since August 2005

9835 Godwin Dr.

Manassas, VA 20110

JW Contracting is a company specializing in swimming pool renovation and repair for inground gunite and shotcrete pools. We have been in business since 1995. We can transform your entire backyard into a great outdoor living space. JWC uses all it's own employees to do all phases of your construction project or repair....

12/06/2021

Karen T.

What an amazing company with great customer service and skilled workers! We were referred by the company that opens/closes our pool each year and we very pleased. Jim and his entire team were very responsive and I couldn’t believe how quickly and efficiently they did the job. I would highly recommend!!

Description of Work
Pool white coat & re-tile

07/06/2020

Terrance W.

It looks great! They were easy to work with, reasonably priced, professional. The end product was as advertised. Make sure you follow the start up instructions.

Description of Work
Re-plaster 30,000 gallon pool

01/29/2020

FRANCIS T.

DONT HIRE JW CONTRACTING!!! Jim was very easy to work with. He appeared honest and straight forward, that was until problems with our plaster occurred. . His Crew came out on time and they appeared to be very efficient. The entire staff was pleasant. We had our pool redone in fall of 2018. It was closed soon thereafter. When we opened our pool last spring we noticed some discoloration that continued to progress. We had several conversations with Jim regarding what had occurred. He came out twice to inspect the pool. Each time was several weeks after the call, His explanation was , "there could be any reason this occurred, one could have been something you added to the pool". We consulted several other companies who stated there is nothing you could add to the pool to cause this. The plaster was most likely not mixed right or it was hard troweled. We then came across other issues that they pointed out in regards to plaster application. Jim refused to stand by his work or even entertain the possibility that this is what had occurred. We are now left with a pool that is grey and dirty looking. . Of course first world problems right, but in the end if your looking for a pool contractor to stand by his work, JW contracting is not that company.

Description of Work
Re plastering of our pool

Category pool cleaners

Just seeing this or I would have responded sooner... I apologize that your white plaster pool finish does not meet your approval. However, when the plaster was installed the crew did an A+ job and left the pool brillant white, clean and ready for operation. Our plaster crew actually send us pictures showing the finish product including the new coping and tile. It was beautiful! Unfortunately, whoever added the pool chemicals to the pool, has caused the discoloration in your plaster finish. When I visited the pool the following season after the plaster was installed, it was clear that the discoloration occurred irregularly below the waterline tile around the top 2' of the pool. The remainder of the pool was not affected. Improperly adding chemicals or just pouring undiluted chemicals around the pool, especially with original 30+ year old copper piping can be a big issue. We convey to all of our costumers ahead of time, how important it is to follow the startup instructions provided to ensure the pool finish cures properly. Unfortunately in this case, the application of the chemicals caused the problem. JWC does stand behind their work, but cannot warranty something that was caused by someone else. So it makes for a sad ending...

12/07/2017

Robert I.

Excellent work! Jim is great to work with as is his office staff. The crew that worked on my pool was great, hard working and very professional. You can also tell that Jim takes good care of his work crew. With the exception of gas and electric, Jim does everything else in-house. This makes for a better job and everything he does is first rate. My only disappointment was not knowing about Jim when I had the pool built as I would have certainly used him. He's my goto guy now.

Description of Work
replastering of the pool, finding two leaks, removing inflow pop up returns and convert to conventional system. Replace heater.

11/05/2016

JOHN C.

Went great. Called for an estimate and Jim came by to complete when I was at work. Received via email a few days later. Much less than the original company that also sent an estimate. Accepted and scheduled the work a few weeks later. A crew of 4-5 guys came, removed all the old caulk, and recaulked the entire surface. Even in a few perimeter places that I didn't expect by much appreciated. Looks great, better than original job. Crew cleaned up great too.

Description of Work
Pool caulking on cement deck.

09/16/2016

George E.

Jim sent out his entire crew that had done the original work - they completely removed the old caulking and installed new. Incredible customer service. I was not expecting such a great response. Highly recommend JW.

Description of Work
JW renovated my pool in May of this year. I noticed that the caulking between the sidewalk and the coping had separated some what over the months (September) and I asked Jim Walsh if he could have his people come out and "touch up the minor separations".

Category pool cleaners, swimming pools

06/20/2016

Gregory D.

JW Contracting is a class act, from Jim’s no BS evaluation of what the job will involve, to a work crew that are very talented, extremely hard working, and exceptionally neat. The crew showed up on June 7, 2016 to perform what I would describe as a “major rehabilitation” of my 40+ year old pool. The job involved removing all the coping and tile, demo and reconstruction of the entire bond beam (111 linear feet), complete removal (down to the concrete) of at least 75% of the plaster. Re-installation of re-bar, forming and pouring the new bond beam, installing new coping and tile, applying the new Quartz plaster, and finally having the water delivered. I was swimming in my pool the afternoon of June 16! When Jim stated that once his crew shows up to start on my pool they will show up every day until the job is finished he wasn’t fooling. The only day they did not work was Sunday, as any reasonable person should expect. Other than a beautiful new pool there is virtually no evidence that any kind of work was done in my yard. Jim’s estimate was higher than the others I received but that is because he gave me a truly legitimate estimate of what needed to be done. He spent much more time in my yard the day he came to evaluate the job so his estimate included a lot of work (that was absolutely necessary) the others did not. If I removed the additional work his estimate included it would have been right there with all the others, and like all the others it would have resulted in some very ugly surprises. Another thing that really impressed me was how quickly Jim got back to us with answers to our questions. This was an expensive undertaking which involved work we were not familiar with so I had a lot of questions, many of which I’m sure were quite elementary to someone who has been in this business for a long time. No matter what the question, Jim’s response always came in short order and in terms one could easily understand. Bottom line, if you want quality work, performed by true craftsmen, a realistic estimate, and an extremely responsive company owner, give JW Contracting a call.

Description of Work
Complete refurbish of my 42 year old pool

06/01/2016

George E.

on time and in budget great crew quality work quality material hope I don't have but would use them again

Description of Work
replace coping and tile. Clean plaster and install drain to bring up to code. Repair side.

05/21/2016

Sarah E.

Fantastic experience from start to finish. From the beginning we liked Jim's presence and knowledge. His price was slightly higher than the other quotes, but all quotes were within $2,000. However, well worth the higher price. The workers were no bull, hard working and working well which produced a job well done. There were ZERO signs that they were even there other than a wonderful looking pool. Plus great communication via email. Other than only getting sometimes an evenings notice that they were coming the next morning, we can only say wonderful things about our experience with JW Contracting, INC and highly recommend their services.

Description of Work
Coping, tile and plaster.

05/13/2016

Raj B.

Did not go well at all. An "F" grade and we didn't even get any work done! I had contacted JW Contracting, Inc. located in Manassas, VA for an estimate on a variety of pool repair work. Obviously, being a smart consumer, I was seeking multiple estimates from a variety of companies because I have a variety of items pertaining to the pool that need repaired or replaced. Owner James Walsh came by but turned back without ringing the bell or talking to me. Basically, Mr. Walsh was annoyed because he noticed another pool company there (they had provided me an estimate and were leaving). Then, I get this extremely rude and unprofessional email from Mr. Walsh that is more than self-explanatory (see below). This is exactly NOT how to run a business and this is NOT a company you want to work with, especially when you are dealing with pools. I simply would NOT trust someone who is so unprofessional. Angie's List is a great place but please do your research before having anyone come into your house to work on major project like pools. From: Jim Walsh Date: May 12, 2016 at 1:07:00 PM EDT To: Subject: pool appt Just wanted to let you know, I did come to look at the pool yesterday. I arrived at 1pm just like I said I would. To my surprise, Millennium Pools was there. I certainly welcome the competition, however I think it's rude to schedule 2 people to come at the same time to look at your job. So, I'm not interested in working with you. Good Luck.... James Walsh JW Contracting, Inc.

Description of Work
Nothing!!!!

11/16/2015

James B.

Very professional from the first phone call on. Jim sent out a gang of pro's that worked fast and cut through the deck, dug out the lines of the pool, replaced bad lines and skimmer. Thorough cleanup. Very nice people to work with! I wouldn't hesitate calling them again.

Description of Work
Replaced bad skimmer and collapsed flex tubes for both skimmers. Re-cemented where needed and thorough cleanup.

06/23/2015

Patrick M.

We had a bunch of tile that heaved over the winter (water must have accumulated under it). The JW crew came out and fixed it right up with no mess at all. They removed the existing tile and replaced it with an exact match and everything looks good as new again.

Description of Work
Replaced broken tile on a ledge and around the pool.

06/03/2015

Stan W.

Excellent work, showed up as promised daily until work completed.

Description of Work
Replaced tile around the pool and hot tub, installed two hand rails, removed and resealed coping around pool and hot tub.

03/26/2015

LD S.

Our experience with JW Contracting was excellent. Mr. Walsh is professional and extremely knowledgeable. He is honest about the cost and the work that needs to be done. He gives you a base price and you can add extras from there. His price was competitive with the other bids. He did exactly what he said he would. Pleasure to work with him. His crew is amazing; the stonework they did is gorgeous! We absolutely love the pool and deck. His team is curious, kind, and truly professional. Wonderful job, done on budget and on time. Three caveats. He does not take credit cards. Helps to have a Spanish speaker available to talk to the crew. He leaves only a small amount of ?extra? material upon request. With other contractors if I buy a pallet of stone or a box of tile, they leave me the unused material. He refused and would not explain why not. We had a disconnect on that, but otherwise no problems.

Description of Work
We have a 1970's Anthony kidney shaped pool. The deck was a nasty concrete and the pool had seen better days. Jim and his team helped us through the whole process from start to finish. Our new travertine deck (with amazing drainage) and refinished pool are so beautiful and inviting. We always want to be out there! Having a deck removed and pool gutted is amazing to watch, especially when his team works so efficiently and diligently. True craftsmanship!

02/17/2015

M L B.

He's been very responsive and patient. He's cautious which is fine. He worked with me on the contract. He's done the diagnostics on the pool, and I've been working with him for about 2 years. He listens to me. He's made himself available as needed and has offered me different options. His administrative person is also very good.

Description of Work
He will be doing a renovation on my pool. He'll basically be redoing the entire pool. It will depend on the weather, but it looks as though it'll be a month until completion.

Category swimming pools

07/14/2014

Stephen H.

Contract was estimated in fall of 2013. Contract for coping, tile and acid wash signed Mar 30, 2014 at the price estimated in the fall with work to start on agreed upon date in June. Although new plaster was recommended by the contractor due to the age of the pool (17 years) and likelihood of chemical etching and roughness, we thought the pool surface was in good enough condition not to require new plaster. No preparation on our part was required; the crew did everything. The coping and tile were demolished, and underlying concrete beam checked for cracks and/or soft spots before proceeding with installation. Installation went without difficulty and when complete looked exactly like the original. There was one problem. After emptying the water and debris to prepare for the acid wash, the crew attempted to open plugs in the pool drains in the bottom of the pool. One of the plugs had apparently been cemented in place during construction by the original installer and did not come out easily. The crew effort to open it caused the plastic body of the drain to crack -- I was watching at the time -- which required jackhammering out and replacing the drains, and patching the concrete shell. The contractor absorbed that expense without hesitation. .While the pool was empty, I was able to closely inspect the entire plaster surface and found extensive copper sulfate stains, etching and roughness. Because the patch in the bottom of the pool would show and because I now agreed with the contractor's original recommendation, we decided to add new plaster to the job. The contract was modified to include plastering at the price estimated the previous fall. The crew then added the steps to prepare for plastering which allowed the pool to remain empty. That gave us complete flexibility in scheduling its completion. The contractor agreed to delay the date until one convenient for us. In sum, the crews were hard working, knowledgeable and careful. They were careful of our property and meticulous in cleanup. After the pool was refilled and they left, there was hardly any evidence they had been here at all -- except the beautiful new pool!

Description of Work
Replaced coping & tile, acid washed and plastered 20' by 45' swimming pool.

07/14/2014

James B.

From the time I contacted Jim Walsh to the completion of the job, there were NO deviations to his commitments. I never once had to call to question anything. The work was flawless, his employee's were professional and extremely courteous. The pool system now runs like it should without question. Any chance I get to recommend JW Contracting, I will! These are the guys to get your pool and deck fixed or installed. The price I show includes two 5000gal truck deliveries of water at $275/load.

Description of Work
One skimmer was replaced. Both skimmers required replacement of old "flex hose" over to new up-to-date PVC pipe. Both skimmers required the cement deck to be taken out then re-cemented. The job site was cleaned, all debris removed and driveway was hosed off. Prearranged water deliveries took place the following morning. There were two crews on scene as promised. It was a one day job...just like Jim said it would be!

06/05/2014

William D.

We bought our home in January 2013 which had an old swimming pool. Neither of us had much knowledge of pools and since it was in the middle of winter many problems went undetected until the following spring. After opening the pool we found that our pool was in pretty bad shape and by the end of the summer we decided it would have to be completely overhauled. We had been referred to Jim Walsh by the guy who opened our pool that year and found him to be highly rated on Angie's List too. We put together a list of approximately 10 contractors from Angie's List to provide quotes for us. We found Jim to be the most professional, he provided the most detailed quote, and his was one of the most reasonable quotes we received. In the end we decided to go with JW Contracting for our pool renovation. Jim's crew was truly amazing to watch and ran like a well oiled machine. The first day I left at 8am and there were 2 guys were getting prepped to start working. I returned at 11:30am and there were close to 10 guys working and they had removed all of the coping, tile, plaster, and were in the processing of chipping away any lose material. By the end of the first day they had laid the majority of the coping and started prepping for tile. By the end of the second day all of the coping was done and the majority of the tile was as well. I was very impressed at the way the guys operated and the craftsmanship of their work. The pool turned out beautifully and my wife and I are extremely happy with the job that was performed. I would highly recommend JW Contracting if you have pool work that needs to be done.

Description of Work
Demoed 25 year old pool and Installed new plumbing, plaster, coping, and tile. Also installed new panel board and polaris pool sweep.

04/15/2014

Mary K.

Excellent experience again! We had Jim and his crew resurface our pool three years ago. This time they replaced our coping and tile. Jim is very prompt with his estimates and lets you know exactly what needs to be done. He is also very responsive to any questions or concerns. The crews are professional and clean up each day when they leave. The end result is absolutely beautiful! When it comes to working on a pool, you want a professional who does top quality work. JW Contracting is definitely that company.

Description of Work
Replaced coping and tile in pool and spa.

03/13/2014

Kate S.

I have called them out twice for two large projects. They are thorough and responsive and the only reason I didn't hire them is because I was able to get a lower quote from someone else. However, I will say I will always give them an opportunity to bid on a job because of how professional they are.

Description of Work
We did not hire them for this job

01/12/2014

Jennifer W.

Another home run by the entire JW team! This is why we are writing another review for this phenomenal company. Look no further for a contractor that delivers exceptional results every time. JW went into full gear to fix plaster and paint after a pipe broke in our house and caused significant water damage. Bob and Will, drafted an accurate estimate and then completed all plastering and painting on our 1940 home. Their repairs were so effective that the no one is able to pick out where the damage occurred any more. I really appreciated how JW values my money and reputation with the insurance company as if it was their own. JW preformed in eye watering fashion on an earlier job and their performance on this repair proved to me that high-quality craftsmanship and excellent customer service are the calling cards of this professional company. JW?you are my contractor of choice.

Description of Work
Repair significant water damage to 1940s era plaster

12/08/2013

Stephen H.

I asked for an estimate to replace six tiles that had come loose in my swimming pool. Jim responded quickly and visited the pool. Because some others seemed loose, he recommended replacing all the tiles; because a third to a half of the coping bricks sounded as though they had come loose, he recommended replacing all the brick coping (doing one without the other wouldn't make sense). He also advised replastering the pool. His assessment was that at 17 years old the pool needed this level of refurbishing. I was surprised by the cost estimate and decided to put off any possible work until spring. I have NOT had a second estimate and am NOT familiar with pool repair costs, so my reaction to the cost estimate is not knowledge-based but my gut reaction. If second opinions on need and cost confirm Jim's estimate, I will not hesitate to have JW Contracting do the work.

11/30/2013

Paul M.

Removed all coping blocks and tiles around top of pool. Acid washed and replastered pool. Installed new tile around top and reinstalled coping blocks. Refilled with 5 tanker trucks of water. |Did a highly professional job. Pool looks great. All pool supplies companies in the area that I use to get my supplies recognize JW as top quality outfit. I agree.

08/17/2013

Paul R.

Jim Walsh and his crew were extremely professional and thorough in all aspects of the job. The entire process took a week. I anticipated a bit of a mess but each day the pool area and the yard were clear of any debris. Jim was very helpful in guiding us through our choices and did not try to steer us toward the more expensive choices. WE have additional work to be done in the near future and will strongly consider using JW Contracting again.

Description of Work
Replaced pool coping, replaced pool tile, sawcut and chipped plaster, prepared pool surface for new plaster, applied new plaster surface.

08/08/2013

Thomas B.

Had 3 quotes for the job, and although JW wasn't the lowest, Jim seemed to be the most knowledgeable and experienced. In 4 days his crew removed and reset all the stone coping, removed the old band tile and replaced with new, acid washed the old plaster, applied a bonding coat to the old plaster, replastered the entire pool and had the pool refilled. Workmanship A+, very pleased with the experience. Jim clearly cares about quality and if you're not happy he will make it right. His crew also installed a Loop Loc cover and spent over 5 hours making sure it was a perfect fit. I have a large stone raised back beam with several radius curves that the cover mates to and the JW crew worked until the cover fit with absolutely no gaps.

Description of Work
Replastered, replaced all band tile, reset all stone coping, refilled water and install a new Loop Loc cover for a large pool (38,000 gals).