Castlewood Construction LLC

Founded 2005 • With Angi since January 2012

Castlewood Construction, LLC, is a licensed and insured Class A general contractor firm in Madison, Virginia. We specialize in custom homes, additions, remodels, fine carpentry, barns, garages, decks and green building practices. Regardless of the scope of the job, our attention to detail,

New Frontier BisonCustom BarnCustom Deck with Pergola

garage building (9)door installation (3)window replacement (3)siding companies (3)roofing (3)house painting (2)woodworking (2)decks & porches (2)interior painting (1)home remodeling (1)deck cleaning (1)electrician (1)

01/06/2020

David K.

Great job. Great response and turn around. No problems either

Description of Work
Roof pepair

Work Completed On 01/06/2020

09/26/2018

William D.

N/A - did not respond to bid request

Description of Work
Never responded to request for bid (mutiple emails / calls)

Work Completed On 09/26/2018

03/09/2018

Stanley K.

Siding and roofing panels were replaced. No issues.

Description of Work
Replace siding and roofing panels blown off by wind

Category roofing, siding

Work Completed On 03/09/2018

02/03/2017

Melody E.

Everything went smooth. I am very happy with the job they did.

Description of Work
Chris and his crew built a two stall horse barn with tack room and run under.

Category roofing, siding, garage builders, woodworking, doors

Work Completed On 01/06/2017

08/12/2014

Peggy W.

The work went well but was slowed by rain for a couple days in July. There was additional work discovered that increased our cost because our initial builder had not insulated around our windows. Also, the original trim was not installed properly by a previous repair company that had been hired to fix weather damage. Chris and his crew made all the corrections for a perfect window installation. They insulated each window, caulked, replaced trim &painted. We can already tell a difference in how well the new windows keep our home air conditioning where it belongs.... inside the house! Our thermostat has been set a bit higher than before which should result in a lower power bill. This is the second project that Chris has done for us & both have been excellent. We will definitely be using Chris again in the future.

Description of Work
Replaced 20 windows, all the trim, insulated around windows, caulked & painted.

Category replacement windows, woodworking, house painters

Work Completed On 07/10/2014

06/16/2014

Alice M.

We asked Chris to do this job because we were so happy with the work he did on our barn. He was able to come out right away and give us an estimate on the job. He started the day he said he could start and the job took almost exactly the amount of time that he had quoted. The overall cost ended up being slightly less than what was quoted because he was able to reuse some of the railing from the old steps. Final product looks great and is exactly what we wanted.

Description of Work
Removed steps from back porch and rebuilt part of the porch and new steps with railings.

Category decks, garage builders

Work Completed On 06/12/2014

02/05/2014

Judith T.

It was wonderful working with Chris/Castlewood. They worked weekends, late night, extreme cold weather and pouring rain to make sure that the only bathroom in my home was functional. Chris understood my needs and kept the budget under control. I come from a building background and this house restoration has been a long-term, partial do it yourself project. I've hired other service providers in the past and was never happy with the work done, often having to hire new contractors before finally giving up and doing the work myself. Chris/Castlewood is the first time I have been pleased with a contractor/service provider. Chris understood my willingness and desire to do certain work on my own and also understood the constraints of my skills and adapted his own scope of work to keep me involved. The cost of the work was exactly what I expected. No surprise invoices that doubled and tripled the prices quoted by past (fired) contractors. I will be using Chris/Castlewood for all future projects in the house. If the floor replacement and kitchen remodel I'll be doing later this year turn out half as well as the bathroom repair I'll be an extremely pleased owner of a restored antique home.

Description of Work
I'm in the middle of restoring an antique house when the bathroom pipes broke during the cold weather. I recently hired Chris/Castlewood to work on repairing and replacing my floor joists later this year. Chris/Castlewood altered their schedule to move my bathroom restoration/repair up in time. Old houses are very tricky as nothing is level or plumb and there are always surprises. Chris/Castlewood removed years of patch work repairs and basically rebuilt my bathroom. The walls and floor are now fully insulated to protect against future cold weather and breaking pipes. The new tile floor is beautiful, level and doesn't sag or bounce.

Category home remodeling

Work Completed On 02/04/2014

02/02/2014

Brenda M.

The barn doors were not secured, the cattle could move them and get into the area? The side of the barn where a door was removed was replaced with the old wood that was rotten and the work was not done to my satisfaction. Had to pay more to have correctly done.

Description of Work
Repaired a barn.

Work Completed On 12/02/2013

11/18/2013

Peggy W.

Everything went well without any difficulty.

Description of Work
Excellent job! Castlewood built a carport attached to our current garage that looks as though it was always there. Chris built the garage back in the summer of 2012... can't remember the exact date. Everything went well. Chris is an artist and is very creative. As I said, the carport attachment looks as though it was always a part of the garage.

Work Completed On 07/15/2012

08/16/2012

Alice M.

Chris from Castlewood Construction completed a horse barn renovation/expansion that had been poorly started by another contractor. He was up front with me from the beginning about the project. Because the job was not cut and dry, he did not quote a price for the whole job but gave me his hourly rate and supplied copies of the invoices for all the material. He and his crew worked very efficiently, kept me informed on the progress and listened carefully to all of my requests. Chris worked with me on everything I wanted, often supplying ideas for less expensive methods to get the job done. This was a project that other contractors refused to even quote and Chris got the job done for significantly less money than what the other contractors quoted. He was able to take what a previous contractor had made an absolute disaster and created a horse barn that was what I wanted and fits my needs. Had I started with Chris from the beginning, I would have been well under budget. I would highly recommend him.

Description of Work
Renovation/expansion of horse barn. Old equipment shed was expanded to include five horse stalls. Access to loft was changed from ladder to stairs. Large sliding doors added to exterior of barn as well as windows for the stalls. All five stalls finished out completely with stall doors, latches, etc. This project had been poorly started by another contractor so Chris had to correct previous work done before he could complete project.

Category replacement windows, garage builders, doors

Work Completed On 08/03/2012

08/09/2012

Peggy W.

Chris came to our home to talk about our project & make an estimate. We felt so comfortable with Chris that we hired him without obtaining a second estimate. We took a chance on Chris and we were very pleased with the quality of his work. Chris arrived when he said he would & worked during the height of our June-July heat wave. He finished the project in a timely manner & when he said he would.

Description of Work
Chris built an awesome 20 X 14 carport attached to our existing garage. He was personable, hard working, knowledeable, talented & honest, qualities that one would definitely want when hiring someone to do quality work. We will definitely use his talents again in the future. Thanks, Chris, for a great job well done!!!

Category remodeling, garage builders

Work Completed On 07/03/2012

01/16/2012

Melissa K.

I hired Castlewood Construction LLC to perform repairs and renovations to a property for resale in Gordonsville, VA. The estimate Chris Gilley (owner) gave me was fair and detailed, and while he wasn't the lowest quote, he was the most knowledgeable and I felt comfortable enough to really get all my questions and concerns covered. He even pointed out some potential problems we could run into, which we handled, whereas the other contractors I spoke with never mentioned them. And while it wasn't on my list, Chris repaired the door to a playhouse in the backyard. Chris was always present and happy to answer any of my questions. His crew was polite and professional, and kept their work areas safe and clean. The work was finished on time and on budget. Overall it was quite a pleasant experience, and I intend on hiring Castlewood again for future projects. I would highly recommend Castlewood Construction LLC for any building project, they do high-quality work at a reasonable price. I was very satisfied with the process and the final product.

Description of Work
Castlewood Construction performed the following work for me: Drywall repairs Interior painting Fixed doors and windows Siding repairs Exterior painting Deck repairs Replaced electrical outlets and switches Designed and built a 'built-in' shelving/cabinet wall for entertainment center Demo'ed my old shed and built a new and improved one Roof repairs

Category decks, drywall, electrician, roofing, siding, replacement windows, deck cleaning, garage builders, house painters, interior painters, doors

Work Completed On 06/06/2011