American Exteriors & Masonry

Founded 2005 • With Angi since December 2009

Veteran Owned & OperatedVeteran Owned & Operated

26 Fairfax St SE Unit 204

Leesburg, VA 20175

American Exteriors & Masonry is a family-owned design and remodeling firm located in Leesburg, Virginia. With 24 Angie's List Super Service Awards in 7 years and three generations of experience, American Exteriors & Masonry is Northern Virginia’s most trusted exterior remodeling contractor. Whether you are building a new home or improving an existing one, you can be confident that American Exteriors & Masonry will make your vision a reality. We hire only specialized, experienced technicians to install our extensive menu of products. We hold a Class A Contractors License, the highest license you can acquire with the state of Virginia (License number 2705170807 Class A). We are fully bonded and insured with Workers Compensation and General Liability Insurance. At no charge, we will design a custom outdoor living space especially for you. Compare our high quality construction methods and superior warranties with our competitors, and you will see why we have no competitors. Don't take a chance on quality. Call for your Free Design Consultation and Quote at 703-443-2699 or on the web at LoudounCountyContractors.com....

4.4

4.4

masonry (93)Patios (61)hardscaping (55)decks & porches (49)concrete repair (24)patio enclosures (11)concrete driveways (5)fireplace services (2)stone & gravel (23)lawn & landscaping (16)outdoor kitchens (9)window replacement (8)

05/25/2022

Hugh B.

It was good. It took a while to get the work started, but when it started it was done quickly and efficiently.

Description of Work
They put in some stairs going down to my driveway from the patio.

Category patios

Work Completed On 03/20/2021

03/24/2022

MARY O.

This company is a complete sham. DO NOT HIRE THEM. We contracted with them over a year ago for a deck and patio. They finally completed our deck a month ago, and were suppose to start immediately the deck. They have not started it yet, and lie to us daily about the status of starting the deck. Buyer beware. They are not trust worthy.

Description of Work
Contractracted for a deck and patio

Category decks, masonry, patios

Work Completed On 03/24/2022

03/01/2022

Rebecca K.

After doing such wonderful work on our front porch, we hired the firm in April 2021 to replace our deck and signed a contract with the owner, Carmen Pretopapa. The job was to suppose to start July 14 and be completed by July 28, 2021. After I put down a deposit, complete radio silence! I reached out several times, via email and phone, and left several messages, which were not returned. I finally reached Carmen himself the last week of August 2021 and he indicated they were meeting on my project that week and would get back to me by 9/1/21. Radio silence from the firm until recently when they called to say they were sorry for the delay but was ready to start the job again--when I explained what happened and asked for my deposit back, the company said they'd look into it and get back to me and that's the last I heard from them. At this point, I don't have any confidence in this firm! I am so disappointed in American Exteriors & Masonry and would simply like to have them return my $2500 deposit!

Description of Work
Replace deck

Work Completed On 03/01/2022

03/15/2021

Chris M.

We knew that the demolition work would expose additional repairs that would need to be done. The crew worked quickly to handle the demo work, and we were able to get a solid idea of the additional work to be done. After an honest review of what was needed, we came to an agreement on a reasonable price and all of the repair and replace work for our roof overhang and carport was completed. An efficient and pleasant experience from start to finish. Great work!

Description of Work
Screened in porch demolition, and additional repairs

Category concrete repair, decks, fencing, patios

Work Completed On 03/08/2021

12/06/2020

Brent W.

I would give this business a zero if I could. Project was a mess to start with due to poor communication between the owner and his hired help. They put the wrong stone down and had to replace. After a couple of years most stones popped due to improper installation. Owner claims a 10 year warranty on work and will not honor. Stay clear of this business!!

Description of Work
New walkway

Category hardscaping

Work Completed On 08/05/2015

11/16/2020

Michael W.

Worst experience ever - 7 months in nothing finished. Crew coming to my house to try and get paid

Description of Work
Screened Porch

Category sunrooms

Work Completed On 05/13/2020

Review for American Exteriors & Masonry - 26 Fairfax St SE, Leesburg, VA - 39028489

11/16/2020

Tina M.

I for one love to receive a good recommendation when it comes to contractors. And when I have a great experience I will shout it from the rooftops. The good ones understand the value of word of mouth marketing and focus on the customers needs. We contracted with American Exteriors and Masonry for a project in May 2020 that was supposed to start August 1st. Paid 60% and after no working being done until the beginning of October, we had about 5 solid days of work then we have hung in a lull with hit or miss work being done. We are 6 months from the contract signing and still await the vinyl windows and screens (which by the way take 4-5 weeks to arrive and have not yet been ordered). We were originally told project completion by mid-August and here we sit about to carve a Thanksgiving Turkey and still do not have a completed project. The worse part of this process beyond our situation is the poor sub-contractors who built this beautiful porch have not been paid a dime, they have come by twice to collect money from us. Where did the 60% payment go?

Description of Work
Screening of existing deck and patio

Category sunrooms, patios

Work Completed On 11/16/2020

05/15/2020

Susan S.

Excellent job! They paid attention to details and did amazing work! They even replanted some of my plants that needed to be moved. I would definitely use them again!

Description of Work
New sidewalk with slate and brick trim.

Category masonry, hardscaping

Work Completed On 05/15/2020

Review for American Exteriors & Masonry - 26 Fairfax St SE, Leesburg, VA - 38568254

03/07/2020

Jean K.

This is an initial review. If the situation improves, I will revise my rating. As you read the below, keep in mind this is supposed to be a one month job. CEO/President is Mr. Carmen Pretopapa. Contract sign date: Sept 10, 2019. Estimated start date Oct 10, 2019 & completion Nov 10, 2019. I paid $11,000 at contract signing. (Of note, the DPOR license number on the contract is off by one digit, assume this is unintentional). The goal was to make my house look identical to the same model one block away. CEO suggested I travel to Frederick Block, Brick & Stone to select brick and front stoop materials, and an employee at Frederick Block immediately recognized a photo of the example house brick as “Cortez.” CEO and lead mason Franklin came to conduct a “walk-around and final measurements.” On that day, Franklin asserted at least twice to me and CEO that the brick veneer project required a cement footer, but CEO dismissed this. I queried CEO several times about this later, but he said this was not necessary. On Oct 8, 2019, I wrote another check for $11,000 prior to start of work, per contract terms. Soon thereafter, four pallets of Cortez bricks, a long steel “L” beam, bags of mortar, a pile of sand, and a dumpster were delivered, taking up both sides of the driveway. On Oct 14, 2019, the crew cut and bolted an L beam to the front foundation, removed first floor vinyl siding, and put up Tyvek. Then, mysteriously, they didn't return. I called repeatedly, but no one responded. Finally, in frustration, on Nov 1, 2019, I drove to their office at 26 Fairfax St, SE, Leesburg to ask why no one was working. CEO stated “to protect me and him,” he determined the project needed a building permit. He said he’d hired a structural engineer, who unfortunately passed away, and was waiting for word on a replacement. I reluctantly signed a blank Loudoun County building permit. After waiting for a replacement to be designated, CEO gave up and hired another structural engineering firm. An engineer came to the house Nov 11, 2019 to collect data needed for the permit. The permit was approved Dec 12, 2019. CEO notified me the crew would resume work Jan 2, 2020. (Meanwhile I had begged them to remove the dumpster since no one was working; a car was trapped in the garage since Oct 8th. The dumpster was finally removed November 18th. ) The masonry crew worked Jan 2 and 6, 2020, digging a trench ten feet deep. On Jan 6, they also removed siding from the north and west sides of the garage and the front door surround (pediment & pilasters). The next day, the snowstorm that closed the Federal Gov't arrived. The front door and wood sheathing had no protection from the elements, but the piles of clay were covered in tarps! I requested a barrier such as orange snowfence, which would be reusable, be installed to ensure small children that lived behind me and across the street from falling into trenches. Two rows of caution tape were installed. The masons laid narrow cinder blocks on Jan 10 & Jan 12; this was promptly approved by the County. On Jan 17, 2020 the crew returned to fill in trenches to within two feet of the surface. At various dates in the interim, an employee came to transfer the pile of spreading sand in my driveway and yard (wrong color) into the dumpster. After another gap in no work, I requested a meeting with CEO Pretopapa. I was told he was no longer involved in my project, and had turned it over to General Manager Nate Hill. I met with Nate and another employee to come up with a revised schedule (the first since the contract version and something I’d requested for months). When Nate laid eyes on the property, he stated it needed to be cleaned up (since there were 4 x 8 sheets of plywood lying in the yard and equipment scattered about. He stated OSHA regs would be followed on this job. He even said the driveway needs to be powerwashed. I was ecstatic. Sparky installed black plastic sheeting (not my choice of color but better than nothing) over the front door area and exposed wood sheathing. Nate sent a draft schedule Feb 17th, asked for my input. I added more detail (such as key milestones when county inspections would be required, after receiving the County’s advice). I added we need to amend the contract to reflect current status since items are no longer valid (for example, the contract stated no permit required, the schedule was outdated by months, and the structural engineer’s drawings need to be made a part of the contract). I also added an item to the scope of work as compensation for five months of delays: the crew would furnish and install, at no expense to me, bluestone pavers in the area in front of the steps, in the same pattern as the front stoop. The masonry crew did not work at all in February 2020. To his credit, on Feb 27, a cold and windy day, an employee removed vinyl siding on the upper story. Unfortunately he threw my shutters into the dumpster, saying they were damaged. They were not. I pulled them out and took photos. The lower level 90” shutters were carefully removed by the crew on Oct 14, 2019, and I had washed and tediously repainted them in a custom color approved by the HOA. After being thrown in the dumpster, they were definitely not reusable. That was the last straw. March 10, 2020 will mark six months since the contract was signed for what CEO originally stated would take 30 days. Even accounting for bad weather, this is unacceptable. The last few days, I’d been sending photos of my house to Nate, Sparky, and Carmen so they could be reminded of what the neighbors and I are forced to look at every day. Today, I decided to put their business sign prominently in front. Mysteriously, sometime today it disappeared. I guess they are embarrassed, too. At this point, I am out $22,000 and not one brick has been laid. I put off major home renovation projects such as this until I had retired so I could monitor the work. If I had foreseen this company would do nothing for four months, I would have postponed retirement from September to January. That’s not only four months lost pay, but other projects I have planned (including a contract also signed in September for new vinyl siding) are being delayed by the inaction of this contractor. Looking at my house now, it is no surprise that some in the neighborhood think it is vacant and condemned. After six months, I hope Mr. Pretopapa or Mr. Hill will move my project to be at the top of the company’s priorities, and we can both move on with our lives.

Description of Work
Brick veneer on front of house and stone veneer on front stoop

Work Completed On 09/10/2019

Review for American Exteriors & Masonry - 26 Fairfax St SE, Leesburg, VA - 38433360

11/01/2019

Max S.

I've previously reviewed this company with an 'A' grade. They built a deck for us at a good price. We are pleased with the result, by and large. Some of the boards came a little loose and nails popped out a bit. We were told this was normal. We were also told the deck was under warranty and somebody would come around and do any needed maintenance. After trying to schedule a service call since August I've given up and expect to do the work myself. The extent of work involved is minor. I'm not sure I would use them again.

Description of Work
Deck construction

Work Completed On 05/15/2019

07/27/2019

DAVID K.

Appointment was scheduled for 10:00, was a no show with no communication what so ever. Please note, my time is valuable and if you are not able to come out, it would be nice for you to let me know.

Description of Work
Desk Estimate

Work Completed On 07/27/2019

06/23/2019

phil F.

After discussing my project needs in writing and following up (I called them and spoke to a representative) to set a date for an estimate the firm never showed for the appointment. I called three times as well as sent a message via their website. NO FOLLOW UP! The lack of respect and professionalism was truly surprising given the ratings on Angie's List. Too bad for them. Based on the other estimates received, they have lost about $20k of work as well as the word of mouth recommendations so common in our tight knit community.

Description of Work
Retaining wall remediation and large from entrance remodel.

Work Completed On 06/15/2019

Thank you for the feedback, we were surprised to see this review as we’ve contacted you multiple times from your first inquiry. We would be happy to discuss this further with you if you choose. Please contact Ashley at 703-443-2699 Please use our other reviews as a more accurate description of our company.

06/06/2019

Joanne C.

One year later, during the winter a piece of stone chipped. Contacted Carmen the owner, and thenext day he had someone come take a look. The next day and within the week, it was beautifully fixed!

Description of Work
Last year spring American Exteriors installed a beautiful stone and brick front porch stairway and walkway. It was perfectly done and great quality work!

Category masonry, pavers, gravel, hardscaping, patios

Work Completed On 04/02/2020

06/06/2019

Joanne C.

Wonderful experience to work with Carmen, Nina and Ashley at American Exteriors and Masonry! Smooth from the beginning negotiating price ( get what you want within yur budget) to work in progress to project completion. Quality work, great customer service and very happy with how our 2 level deck, front steps and walkway and back patios turned out, just beautiful! They are very responsive and quick to address questions, concerns or just check in with you. The staff and crews were just as professional keeping you in the loop on progress or any challenges consulting with you to make decisions. Quality work and complete customer satisfaction!!

Description of Work
Deck replacement, flagstone steps and walkway, 2 section patio

Category decks, masonry, hardscaping, patios

Work Completed On 04/02/2020

Review for American Exteriors & Masonry - 26 Fairfax St SE, Leesburg, VA - 37915588

05/14/2019

Alecia G.

Very well! in addition to doing a splendid job, their team is friendly and helpful. Office assistance needed, long after the job was completed, was provided in a very swift and courteous manner. I plan to contact them, again, in the near future.

Description of Work
Re-deck. Replaced deck boards. Substructure maintained.

Work Completed On 01/07/2019

10/24/2018

ROBERT L.

Project went very well. One area was not done to my liking and they quickly removed it and reinstalled at no additional cost. New deck is beautiful. One railing board has come loose and they are living up to their guarantee and servicing that next week.

Description of Work
Replace wood decking boards and railing with TREX decking boards and railing

Work Completed On 10/24/2018

Thank you for your business and review! We are so glad that we were able to meet your expectations!

10/23/2018

Robert Z.

Once construction was underway the project went very smooth. Their stone masons are much more akin to being artists, masterful work. Carmen was extremely helpful in the design phase and he helped engineer the winning solution. American exteriors stand by their work and had returned several times to address Effloresce which is natural. If you are looking for the best quality, workmanship and price, go no further ... you found your team!

Description of Work
Fieldstone patio an walkway

Category masonry, pavers, gravel, hardscaping, patios

Work Completed On 10/23/2018

10/15/2018

Max S.

We got a nice deck for a good price. Work was done in a reasonable amount of time. There were a few hiccups along the way, but Carmen worked with us to resolve them. Their general approach to design and pricing compared well with competing contractors.

Description of Work
Wood deck in back of house

Work Completed On 04/16/2018

Review for American Exteriors & Masonry - 26 Fairfax St SE, Leesburg, VA - 37474640

Thanks, [Member Name Removed]. You were great to work with and the project does look real good, Rob does nice work.

08/14/2018

Roger R.

The quality of the work was excellent. The contractor was responsive and easy to work with. Highly recommended.

Description of Work
Construction of a replacement for a collapsed retaining wall.

Work Completed On 02/23/2021

08/14/2018

Roger R.

It went as well as any outdoor construction project can go. Weather and terrain prevent all such projects from being on a precise schedule.

Description of Work
A wind storm in March blew down the junky fence and damaged the junky retaining wall installed by the homebuilder (see pic). American Exteriors teamed with JEMG Fences to replace the retaining wall and the fence. The attached photos illustrate the before and after. I am delighted with the final results.

Category fencing, masonry, pavers, gravel, drain pipe

Work Completed On 08/14/2018

Review for American Exteriors & Masonry - 26 Fairfax St SE, Leesburg, VA - 37321058

01/26/2018

Carlton F.

Great work done. Professional, nice and diligent

Description of Work
Deck Replacement

Work Completed On 01/26/2018

We thank you for your business and your review. We look forward to a lifelong relationship serving your exterior home remodeling needs!

11/03/2017

Rob S.

It went great. Job was finished quickly and professionally. Carmen was very helpful and when it came to making minor changes, it was not a problem at all. The guys he used to do the work were professional and worked quick. Was not disappointed in anyway.

Description of Work
Deck and paver patio built