Best Home Improvement

Founded 2009 • With Angi since January 2009

4.3

18184 Buzzard Hollow Rd

Gordonsville, VA 22942

BEST HOME IMPROVEMENT is a family owned full service building and remodeling company based in Gordonsville, VA. Owner Troy Best has over 30 years of experience in a wide range of trades including carpentry, ceramic tile, cabinetry, roofing, restoration and installing masonry patios and

07/09/2021

Lorine D Brown B.

He is excellent and I would highly recommend him to anyone. Troy was such a pleasure to have in my home today. I will definitely hire him again for anything I may need and I would give him my highest rating.

Description of Work
Troy painted in my home, hung pictures and did other odd jobs I needed to have done.

Category handyman service

09/09/2015

Cecilia H.

Description of Work
Purchased "Contractor for a Day" with Angie's List Big Deal. Had a number of small projects that needed doing and one large project. Showed them what I needed and everything was well done with time to spare. I definitely use them again when I have the need.

08/25/2015

John R.

Arrived two hours late without calling.t

Description of Work
hung shelves, & TV wall mounts

Category handyman service, remodeling

06/25/2015

Jason L.

Sometimes hard to get a response back promptly and overall, took longer to complete the work than expected. Having said that, he did an excellent job - it looked better than I expected when all was said and done, and so I would most likely use him again. Workmanship was very good, and he went above and beyond what I was hoping would get done.

Description of Work
repaired / replaced lattice work under porch

04/08/2015

Elizabeth K.

We were very pleased with the job that was done. Once the weather started cooperating, Troy and his son were here almost every day and had the job completed within the estimated time frame. He was polite and responsive to all our questions and requests throughout the project.

Description of Work
We had a covered porch that we wanted enclosed. Troy Best framed it up, added four window, 2 doors, sided with hardy board, insulated and dry walled, and installed a dog door for us.

Category drywall, remodeling

Thanks for the work and the great review !😊

04/02/2015

DONNA AND STEVEN C.

Description of Work
Painted hall starway and bathroom removed wallpaper and installed gate

12/17/2014

Erin H.

He was reliable, polite, on time and a pleasure to have in my home. I had received the offer for 6 hours of work via email from angie's list. So I called him and he came to look at the job. After that we scheduled the date to perform the work in which he was on time and ready to go. He made sure throughout the entire day that I was happy with his work as he progressed. He often asked my opinion on certain things to make sure that I would be happy with the final product. the trim he installed was beautifully done and the holes he patched in the ceiling used to be such an eye sore. I will definitely be calling him for future work and will happily recommend him to others.

Description of Work
Mr. Best patched holes in the ceiling, put up crown molding, installed baseboard, toe kicks and fixed up some cabinets

Category appliance repair, remodeling

10/14/2014

Peter M.

This was my first time hiring Mr. Best. Not having hired many other contractors, I can't compare his work with others. I can say that my experience with Mr. Best was very positive, and I will certainly consider using his services again in the future if the need arises. In fact, I have already discussed hiring him to help me raise the shed a few inches, as the final step in preventing the problem there from reoccurring.

Description of Work
The shed was built by a previous owner, and is at the bottom of an incline. Over the years, dirt had built up to partially bury the bottom front of the shed, which resulted in rot of the base frame and lowest cedar shingles. When I saw Mr. Best's price deal, I figured it was a great opportunity to finally fix the problem. Mr. Best was able to use scrap lumber I had left over from previous work on my house to replace the rotten wood and shingles on the shed. He also noted that the shed had not been built on proper footers, and was willing to help me correct the problem. He went to buy two bags of concrete for the project (for which I reimbursed him), and then helped me dig holes for the footers.

Category concrete repair, remodeling, roofing

10/10/2014

Ravinder D.

He is a very good person, polite, honest, and hard working. I have always had great experiences with him and would highly recommend him to anyone needing his services.

Description of Work
He has done many small projects for me, including fixing tiles in my kitchen and bathroom and some woodworking.

Category ceramic tile, remodeling

10/09/2014

Marjorie T.

Troy Best is an outstanding contractor. I've owned my home 9 years and had I found him when I bought a fixer-upper I would have saved myself a lot of money and frustration. It is rare to find someone that is a hard worker, reasonably priced and versatile. I wouldn't hesitate to hire him again and will recommend him to everyone I know! Thank you Troy!!! Margie at Lake Monticello.

Description of Work
Raised sagging front porch: dug holes, braced porch, poured concrete. Raised side porch Power washed deck/fence Dry wall repair Removed lighting fixture

Category concrete repair, decks, drywall, electrician, remodeling

09/29/2014

Laura B.

Did not show for appointment, did not call to let me know he would be late or needed to reschedule. Has not responded to e-mails or text messages. Troy did get in touch with me and re-scheduled. Came to look at job a had really good suggestions and pictures of other work. We have started out on a new footing and I look forward to working with him.

Description of Work
Returned e-mail and set up an appointment to look at job and provide cost estimate.

Category remodeling

I've call the customer ams rescheduled an appointment for 10/2/14 due to job taking longer than expected ,she said she understood and has had similar situation.

09/18/2014

Gary H.

Troy did a nice job, especially with the carpentry part of the job. Troy found new railroad ties to replace parts that were beyond repair, but the lumber was hard to find because of its dimensions. Troy finally found them in Madison, bought them after calling me to discuss price and quantity and then hauled them back. The old rotted pieces were difficult to remove but Troy kept at it and did a really nice job installing the replacement pieces. The repair work to the other rot was decent but would have been better if framed out temporarily while the concrete dried. I told him though that I wasn't looking for perfect on that part -- just good enough to stop further rot and fill in the holes. I had purchased a 4-hour deal through Angies List and Troy was trying to get done within the allotted time.

Description of Work
Troy replaced rotted railroad ties and repaired rot on steps of our front walkway.

09/09/2014

Michael P.

Troy Best of Best Home Improvement is a very experienced skilled carpenter, with excellent woodworking skills. He also is skilled at plumbing and electrical work. The bathroom remodel was very extensive, and all the work, including the tiling, was done with great attention to detail. The bathroom is now a show place! The built in bookcase is very sturdy & attractive, and the closets are now "organized" closets. The doors & window were installed carefully, and open & close easily. The trim work displayed an excellent attention to detail.

Description of Work
Remodeled a bathroom.......including new tile floor and new fixtures.. Electrical & plumbing work was included. Constructed approximately 20 foot long built-in wood bookcase. Also added extensive shelving & hanging rods to two closets to make the closet storage more efficient. Installed new window & two exterior doors including outswing double French door

09/08/2014

Nancy C.

As he was finishing up and I went to look at everything, he had done a less than satisfactory job. What he had laid and the grouting, most of the grout was uneven and some was stained. Some of the tiles were chipped. He asked me what I expected for their price. He got upset and started yelling about million dollar homes and that I was the only one that has ever complained about his work. He was getting continuously louder and verbally abusive to the point that I became uncomfortable with him in the house and asked him to step outside because he was not in control. I was afraid of him.

Description of Work
I purchased the Big Deal for $349. There were some extra costs because the job was larger than the Big Deal.

Category ceramic tile

The job I did for [member name removed] is perfectly satisfactory. I did not raise my voice to her. I could not see any staining or unevenness in the grout. I did scrape out some spots she pointed to and replaced the grout, but that did not resolve her issues. I did a lot of extra work trying to make sure she was satisfied and I certainly wish she was. She expressed her satisfaction with the work the day before, but when I presented her with the bill for the extra work: $230 for 10 extra square feet of tile (25% more tile than estimated), removing and disposing of the old toilet, replacing it with a new one, trimming two doors to accommodate the tile height, all of which was beyond the big deal, she became perturbed and threw the bill on the floor. I have worked on historical restorations, had work featured in the Washington Post magazine and have 35 years of experience in jobs of all budgets and I know what a good tile job looks like. I would be happy to have photographs of the work posted.

09/04/2014

Kim I.

He did a beautiful job. He installed a lot of built-ins, a skylight and a screened-in porch. The screened-in porch was cedar and turned out really pretty. He suggested to put in a clear panel to let a lot of natural light in. Everything was just wonderful. It was very high-quality work. I would highly recommend him. He was also very easy to work with.

Description of Work
He completely remodeled a space to turn it into an art studio.

Category remodeling, garage builders, woodworking

09/02/2014

Brenda L.

He always does an excellent job. He's very personable and nice to work with. I always appreciate that he's very honest.

Description of Work
He put up new wall boards, painted, and redid some electrical work in the basement.

Category electrician, remodeling

Gopi G.

Troy was professional. He was polite and quick. When we told him we needed to have the wall touched up and he did not have the materials to do it, he offered to return in a week to complete the job.

Description of Work
Fix some woodwork. Install vacuum cleaner on wall. Hang up some pictures.

Category handyman service, woodworking

Ruth S.

The service was very good. He was very efficient and a good craftsman. He is very nice, easy to get along with, very professional, and he did an excellent job. The structure that was created was selected to be on the Rappahannock House tour in 2015.

Description of Work
We have a old solid chestnut cabin that had been apart of the barn. They took away the barn and put a 1000 sq. ft. structure to go around the cabin. They also created an open air storage and entertainment area out of the cabin.

Category remodeling, garage builders

Ernest B A.

Real good. He went to lowe's with me and picked out the correct wood and accessories. Real professional. Efficient, neat, courteous. He came back the next day to finish the job. He did a good job and it looks good.

Description of Work
Installed hardwood floor. I called him to install laminate but he got here and realized we had hardwood floor and the would not work together. I appreciated him pointing that out.

Category flooring contractor

08/23/2014

Daniel W.

Horrible, DO NOT HIRE. Saw this deal on Angie's List and was looking for a couple of little projects done around the house. BIG MISTAKE. Only good thing that I can say is that he called immediately. He came over, I told him my list and he started working. He need to fix a whole in basement wall. Did a dicent job, but instead of asking me for a trash bag he used one of my kids toy bags instead. My daughter was very upset. He also did not put anything down to protect my carpet, so I now have drywall mud on the floor. Will be needing to find out how much this will cost me to clean. Doors and light were done as needed. Had a back splash on sink that needed to be put on and bolted down. When he left, I saw that he did not put any of the screws in that I had given him, he just glued in on. To make matters worse it is crooked. The major project that I needed done is a concrete pad in the front to be leveled. My house has shifted and the concrete pad was sloping to one side. Said he would need to figure out how to do and then come back the next day and fix. Tried to lift it up and level but could not. We agreed that he would just put more concrete over to level it out. He went to the store and bought what was needed. Did not know that he was going to mix Rocks into the concrete, and after less than two weeks its is washing away. Do not hire this man. He did a bad job and is a waste of money. I will be trying to get back as much money as I can, so that I can pay someone else come in and FIX what he was supposed to do.

Description of Work
Fixed hole in wall, put up light, back splash on sink, concrete pad, doors put up.

Category ceramic tile, drywall, plumbing, home remodeling

Reviews are reviews not revenge or extortion. This customer is mean and not usual, not your average customer, very entitled, and what is anyone else going to do to the concrete stoop now. It does not look bad, and it was never said if I don't like the concrete I'm not paying. What's really wrong? Show me a picture. The slab was three inches below the stair stringer now it's not, it's much better than it was originally.

08/22/2014

Candice H.

He was very pleasant and willing to make the drive. I just decided to find a closer company.

Description of Work
I purchased a big deal and discussed the work needed done with the provider. During our conversation he indicated that my home was a lengthy drive but was willing to do the job. I decided that I would rather find a company closer to my home area.

Category home remodeling

06/29/2014

DAVID R.

Troy Best is very skilled and can improvise when the unexpected happens. He does very good work.

Description of Work
Tile setting and grouting, carpentry, electrical work, plumbing - installed new sinks.

Category ceramic tile, electrician, plumbing, remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling

Great customers and all work is completed

06/29/2014

David Halstead M.

Good Job on construction. A problem at start with non location of utilities caused delay. But in general. A good job.

Description of Work
Construction of 16x32 Workshop.

11/07/2011

william W.

They came out to give us an estimate for concrete work. They were about the same prices as the additional companies we got bids from. They never did get back with us so we didn't end up hiring them.

Description of Work
They came out to give us an estimate.

Category concrete repair

01/01/2009

Rosita G.

Mr. Best came to our home and took the stems out and took a check for $90 to cover the work. We were leaving for vacation, so he took them and our keys to work while we were away. He was able to replace the old [1960s] stems and stop the leak. But when we returned, the handles did not turn in the same direction as the old ones which caused a bit of scalding. After repeated calls, Mr. Best turned up unannounced with new stems, but then both taps turned in the opposite direction of the old ones. He also did a poor job caulking the handles back, and both handles leak quite a bit of water when turned on. He also charged us another $75 for the additional work. Both my husband and I called and left messages asking for him to return and fix the handles and to provide us with an itemized bill. He never returned our phone calls. In hindsight, we should have gotten a written estimate.

Description of Work
Replaced the stems for our bath/shower handles so that they did not leak.

Category plumbing

I renovated the neighbor's entire bathroom. they loved it. when the member called I told her that she needed to replace the whole fixture. she said no. so I said I would replace the washers and handles. i made three trips there and the old handles were hard to find it. cost 50 dollars to buy them. with all that I made very little money. and i told them in the beginning to replace the whole fixture with a new one so I'm not responsible for the wrong choice in not replacing the whole fixture.

Mencia Concrete

We can do anything concrete and have the best rates. Specializing in beautiful driveways, stamped concrete, patios and everything concrete. We can help make your dreams come true. We stand by our work and the owner is on site for every job!

Ohm Man Electric

Ohm Man Electric is an owner operated Electrical Service with over 8 years of experience. Give us a call or click for an estimate today! We provide the following services: General Electrical work Installation of electrical equipment - Receptacles - indoor and outdoor lighting - panel boards - breakers and fuse boxes - electrical ground work - electrical PVC and EMT installation

Taylor Made Paving

TaylorMade Paving is a Fredericksburg paving company that provides complete commercial, industrial and residential asphalt paving services for asphalt installation, replacement, asphalt overlays, repair, sealcoating and maintenance. For over 35 years, TaylorMade Paving has handled the paving requirements of Fredericksburg and surrounding counties. We specialize in all phases of asphalt installation, with the most modern machinery and technology available, to ensure top notch quality, including new construction, removal and replacement, asphalt overlays, Sealcoating Striping and general maintenance, extensions and major or minor repairs for parking lots, commercial, industrial establishments, or residential homes. TaylorMade Paving offers complete and accredited paving services for projects both large and small. We are your complete asphalt specialists, family owned and operated.

Offers by Taylor Made Paving on Angi

Building & Remodeling – Kitchens, Bathrooms, Tile, Decks, Flooring, Plumbing, Roofing, Walkways, Sheds & Barns, Siding, Electrical, & Additions.

No concrete work ,or sewer line clogs